Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Bad Behaviour

• 21-03-2014 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭

Took our dog (a JRT) out this morning in the communal garden area within our complex. A neighbour started his motorboke engine and she flipped. She ran at his feet, barking. I called her back and scolded her. He took off and she ran after him, resulting in him having to stop. Called her back over and told her no, bold etc and straight back inside.

We were lucky this was a nice guy and that he was only taking off so going at a speed where he could stop and that he saw her. It could have been much worse.

Told OH about it and she said it happened once before when they were walking on the street. A bike went past and she ran after it but was on the lead at the time. I'm annoyed I wasn't told sooner but anyway, problem is evident now. This is clearly dangerous and bad behaviour and I worry about her enough without adding motorboke chasing to her repertoire :(

Any ideas how to stop this kind of carry on? She's a nervy dog by nature and has a tendency towards passive aggression. I'm a little stuck.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Keep her on a lead at all times would be my first answer. You sound like a really nice person and you would be devastated if she caused an accident by running towards a moving vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

sadie06 wrote: »
    Keep her on a lead at all times would be my first answer. You sound like a really nice person and you would be devastated if she caused an accident by running towards a moving vehicle.
    She's never off the lead outside the complex. I'm even paranoid about the flexi in the city tbh. I would like to help her overcome the behavior too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

If the neighbour is nice as you say approach him and say you are worried about her causing an accident and ask him to spend a few minutes working with you. Sit in the garden with her on the lead while he's on the bike, the whole time ignoring him and giving her treats or fuss whichever works better for her. If she attempts to pull or approach the bike give a stern no. Hopefully after a while she'll realise you are more interesting and theres nothing to be scared of. Good luck she sounds lucky to have you.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

If the neighbour is nice as you say approach him and say you are worried about her causing an accident and ask him to spend a few minutes working with you. Sit in the garden with her on the lead while he's on the bike, the whole time ignoring him and giving her treats or fuss whichever works better for her. If she attempts to pull or approach the bike give a stern no. Hopefully after a while she'll realise you are more interesting and theres nothing to be scared of. Good luck she sounds lucky to have you.

kristian12 wrote: »

Thats a great idea! I dont feel like I know him well enough to ask, though I do plan to apologise later this evening so maybe that might open up the communication line. Should we be doing other things to get her used to being startled? I know she got a fright as she didnt see him and she ran the opposite way first in a panic and then back to attack :(

I've no experience with this. Our last dog came straight from the litter into the family home and was the most steady dog you could meet. Kids pulling out of her, cats fighting, other dogs etc nothing ever phased her!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

This is a good approach, but is dependent on the goodwill of the neighbour. He might not always have the time to spend with you and your dog.

I'd be looking for a good behaviourist as well. PM the mods on here who might be able to suggest someone suitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭CBRLizzie

As a biker, and a dog owner, I'd appreciate you coming to me with that request and would be only too happy to oblige - I'm sure most bikers would feel the same. A dog running at a bike isn't only a danger to himself/herself - they're a danger to the biker - at any speed falling off a bike hurts - I broke my leg from stationary when the bike fell on me, and have fallen off several times swerving to avoid something coming towards me.

There's no harm asking - the fact he stopped and didn't shout at you shows he was understanding and probably would be only too happy to help - and all he can say is no.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Called her back over and told her no, bold etc and straight back inside.

Careful with this. You're scolding your dog for coming back to you (even though in your mind you're scolding her for what she did towards the man and his motorbike) in future it can make it off putting for your dog to freely return to you, if she is expecting to get scolded.

Even if she already has good recall, try and keep it solid by giving her a small treat every once in a while for coming back to you.

Besides this, I think kristian12 has a good idea. Also distract her away from her interest in the bike (even if all she does it look) and into sitting for you and getting a treat.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    Careful with this. You're scolding your dog for coming back to you (even though in your mind you're scolding her for what she did towards the man and his motorbike) in future it can make it off putting for your dog to freely return to you, if she is expecting to get scolded.

Even if she already has good recall, try and keep it solid by giving her a small treat every once in a while for coming back to you.

Besides this, I think kristian12 has a good idea. Also distract her away from her interest in the bike (even if all she does it look) and into sitting for you and getting a treat.

She has terrible recall. To the point that I usually say to the OH, "I dont think thats actually her name" :eek: :eek: Good point about the scolding, I hadnt considered it in that way :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    She has terrible recall. To the point that I usually say to the OH, "I dont think thats actually her name" :eek: :eek: Good point about the scolding, I hadnt considered it in that way :(

That's okay! Not everyone understands this, it's easy not to realise a dog's understanding can be a LOT different than our own.

She may not have a connection to her name being an awesome thing if in the past you have told her off by using her name, say you caught her chewing something belonging to you, you say "bad Lucy!" (pretend that's her name) therefore when I hear Lucy it means I did something wrong.

Try something different, say "here here!" and give her a nice little treat every time she comes back to you, even if she comes back ten minutes later. Even consider doing some recall work with her on a long leash, it can save a dog's life.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement
Advertisement