Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arc Mini Marathon (10k) Phoenix Park 5th May 2014

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

I had the course at 6.1 miles, so quite a bit short. This route is used for a few 10k's in the Park so I am surprised the distance is out.

I enjoyed the race, the numbers are increasing bit by bit, for some reason as a men's only race it wasn't taking off. Hopefully it was successful from a fund raising point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

I wouldn't read too much into the course reading a bit short on a garmin, certainly on my watch I've noticed that any kind of wooded areas\tall buildings messes up the distances quite a bit ( usually short).

My local parkrun always shows up short by just over 100 metres and I've had it happen on some more high profile courses too ( Dublin Marathon for example)

Thinking back to yesterday, there were also quite a few sharp turns ( the turn at the bottom of the Furry Glen and then again at the top for example) so when you throw them into the mix, its probably not surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Duanington wrote: »
    I wouldn't read too much into the course reading a bit short on a garmin, certainly on my watch I've noticed that any kind of wooded areas\tall buildings messes up the distances quite a bit ( usually short).

My local parkrun always shows up short by just over 100 metres and I've had it happen on some more high profile courses too ( Dublin Marathon for example)

Thinking back to yesterday, there were also quite a few sharp turns ( the turn at the bottom of the Furry Glen and then again at the top for example) so when you throw them into the mix, its probably not surprising.

Yeah, have a close stare at the mapped route on Garmin connect. If it's anything like mine you'll see plenty of cut corners, and suspiciously straight lines when under trees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Mens and Ladies races won by boardsies - Thirstywork and claralara! Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

cianc wrote: »
    Yeah, have a close stare at the mapped route on Garmin connect. If it's anything like mine you'll see plenty of cut corners, and suspiciously straight lines when under trees.

Thanks, I've just checked that, plenty of straight lines were there should be bends!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

ARC Cancer Support 10k 2014 Race Report

I haven't really done much since the Paris Marathon a month ago now, bar one or two 4 mile spins and a couple of parkruns. Added to a super Sunday of scoops, preparation could have been better!
    I noticed as I walked around beforehand that there were more taking part than last year, and recognised a few faces. Didn't start too near the front, and having negotiated the usual formation runners :mad: settled into a comfortable rhythm. Around about the Ordnance Survey I caught a guy in a Moy marathon top and ran with him for a bit, he pulled away a little coming out of the glen but I let him go; it didn't feel like a day to push too hard, and besides we had another circuit to go. He was never too far ahead at any rate. For about a 3km spell between km5 and 8 I didn't pass anyone, nor was I passed. I had to work a bit more on the second climb out of the glen, and although a few guys passed me in the last 2k, to be honest I didn't feel that bothered, maybe because I did so little beforehand. Crossed the line in 44:19, 23 seconds slower than my PB, which I set in this race last year. Standard of runners was a lot higher this time, with 25 sub 40s as opposed to 9 in 2013.

I enjoyed it overall, but can't help thinking that's a soft PB which I should be seriously targeting in the next one (Fingal). In the meantime Terenure offers a good opportunity to go sub 35 for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sharkey47

Wasn't running this due to injury but I did go along to support some family members who were running. Lots of vaguely familiar faces and great to see so many Kingspan employees making the trip down to participate. Nice atmosphere and the lady who did the commentary on the race was superb. She had a kind word for everyone as they approached the finishing line and was very knowledgeable. There were a good few parent/kid combinations running together, with in most cases, the kids looking in better shape than their parents! Nice to see Kev running well and winning comfortably. Overall, a nice way to spend a morning and hopefully ARC raised a good amount of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭AlsoRan

I ran this yesterday and enjoyed the race, taking two and a half minutes off my PB. It was a good course with that hill around furry glen I think it was pushing you and it seemed to be overall a good level of runners. I would definitely do this again as it's nice to do a 10K in the Phoenix park ahead of all the race series races and it's a great cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

I did this yesterday and I was wondering if it was the same course as the FIT run in March. Either way I really enjoyed it and I finished in a sub 45 so happy with that. Good turn out the level of the runners at the front was really impressive. looking forward to the Dublin Race series now. Summer is here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

I personally had a shocker of a race but the event itself was well run and for a fantastic cause. The route itself was a challenging enough one. Already looking forward to making amends for yesterdays run at next years event :)

P.S Garmin's are inaccurate. There is only one course measurement that actually counts and it's not the one displayed on your watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Advertisement