Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football ranking table

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Yikes there's some gap between Dublin and the chasing pack.Tell us something we don't unfortunately already know.:(

Galway are now officially on our coattails.

I can't think of a more eagerly anticipated Mayo Galway championship game in recent times.

I tell a lie,the clashes from the mid to late nineties on were epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

No so sure this year with the advent of the super 8s.Both teams will be very anxious to progress via the front door.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭laoisman11

A lot of rating points exchanged last weekend and a fair bit of movement on the rankings also………..
    • Roscommon was the team that gained the most rating points (2.04) following a big win over Clare
    • Offaly and Cork were the only other teams to gain more than 1 rating point
    • Galway’s win over Monaghan takes them into the top 2 for the first time since July 2003 and they are by far the most improved team in the country since the start of the year from a ratings point of view

#|Δ Rank|Team|Rating|Δ Rating
    1 | = | Dublin | 111.89 | 0.00
    2 | | Galway | 100.64 | 0.95
    3 | | Mayo | 100.45 | 0.64
    4 | = | Kerry | 98.73 | 0.00
    5 | | Tyrone | 97.58 | 0.45
    6 | | Monaghan | 96.25 | -0.95
    7 | = | Armagh | 92.60 | 0.00
    8 | = | Roscommon | 90.40 | 2.04
    9 | = | Donegal | 87.71 | -0.45
    10 | = | Tipperary | 87.47 | 0.00
    11 | ▲ ▲ | Cork | 87.06 | 1.54
    12 | = | Cavan | 86.41 | 0.80
    13 | ▼ ▼ | Kildare | 85.44 | -0.64
    14 | ▲ ▲ | Westmeath | 83.38 | 0.90
    15 | | Clare | 81.91 | -2.04
    16 | | Meath | 81.35 | -1.54
    17 | | Longford | 80.99 | -0.38
    18 | | Down | 80.81 | -0.80
    19 | = | Fermanagh | 78.61 | -0.90
    20 | = | Derry | 75.68 | 0.00
    21 | | Sligo | 74.92 | 0.38
    22 | | Laois | 74.89 | 0.00
    23 | = | Carlow | 74.17 | 0.00
    24 | | Offaly | 71.28 | 1.73
    25 | | Antrim | 69.74 | 0.00
    26 | | Louth | 68.65 | 0.00
    27 | | Wexford | 67.13 | -1.73
    28 | = | Leitrim | 64.30 | 0.00
    29 | = | Limerick | 62.07 | 0.71
    30 | = | New York | 57.16 | 0.00
    31 | | London | 55.88 | 0.00
    32 | | Waterford | 55.76 | -0.71
    33 | = | Wicklow | 55.14 | 0.00

• Advertisement

Thanks Laoisman.

Makes fascinating reading in the context of the May 13th clash.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭treade1

It is amazing that Dublin gained zero points for beating Kerry. If Dublin beat Galway at the weekend I imagine it is possible that they won't gain any more ratings points until the super 8's. (Presuming they maintain their unbeaten run)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

treade1 wrote: »
    It is amazing that Dublin gained zero points for beating Kerry. If Dublin beat Galway at the weekend I imagine it is possible that they won't gain any more ratings points until the super 8's. (Presuming they maintain their unbeaten run)

The treatment of Croke Park as a home ground for Dublin has cost them in terms of the rankings. Leaving aside whether this is fair or not, this years Super 8s with one game at a neutral ground and another away should allow them to pick up some points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Same As

blanch152 wrote: »
    The treatment of Croke Park as a home ground for Dublin has cost them in terms of the rankings. Leaving aside whether this is fair or not, this years Super 8s with one game at a neutral ground and another away should allow them to pick up some points.

Am I right in saying that Dublin will play two of their three Super 8 games in Croke Park? 1 Home, 1 Away & 1 Croker? Hard to see them using Parnell Park for one of these fixtures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Have to qualify for the Super 8 first:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

raiders11 wrote: »
    That's right. I'm surprised there's been so little about it but when it comes round to the last 8 i can guarantee it'll absolutely blow up with the media.

Have to qualify for the Super 8 first:D:D
    Foot and mouth about the only thing that could prevent it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Same As

danganabu wrote: »
    Foot and mouth about the only thing that could prevent it!

Bubonic plague around DCU is probably the only thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Same As wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that Dublin will play two of their three Super 8 games in Croke Park? 1 Home, 1 Away & 1 Croker? Hard to see them using Parnell Park for one of these fixtures.

"Neutral" venue would not necessarily have to be CP. Thurles would be ideal venue for some of the likely match ups. Dublin will play Connacht and Munster runners up for example. Ulster champions would probably prefer Croke Park to Thurles, perhaps not.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out. Crowds will on average be bigger, although only Dublin v Mayo or Kerry or Ulster champion would likely to attract attendance that only CP might accommodate, but that oughtn't be criteria either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,192 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Bonniedog wrote: »
    "Neutral" venue would not necessarily have to be CP. Thurles would be ideal venue for some of the likely match ups. Dublin will play Connacht and Munster runners up for example. Ulster champions would probably prefer Croke Park to Thurles, perhaps not.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out. Crowds will on average be bigger, although only Dublin v Mayo or Kerry or Ulster champion would likely to attract attendance that only CP might accommodate, but that oughtn't be criteria either.

Is it "neutral venue" or Croke Park ?.

I believe that it will be Provincial winner v Provincial winner and qualifier v qualifier in "neutral venue"/CP, and then one home, one away.

So in one group you might see something like Mayo v Kerry in CP and let's say Monaghan v Roscommon in Cavan if it was the former, or a double header in CP if it was the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Apologies. Just checked the official guide to the groups, and you are correct, it is one home, one away and one Croke Park.

So much for my plan! I can see why some are annoyed over this regarding Dublin guaranteed two CP. Having a neutral option would have allowed for CP to be such, and as you say would be prefect for some double headers, or to have games in other venues which could hold big crowd, as for some of Dublin's likely match ups.

The argument regarding CP being only place to accommodate Dublin crowds is no longer tenable outside of their playing Mayo, Kerry or one of big Ulster teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

It's nice to see Galway above Mayo, even if I fully expect that to change after this weekend's fixtures.

The fact Dublin's dominance is stretching the ranking system to near breaking point is a perfect illustration of how far ahead they are of the chasing pack.

Apparently, that was round 6 of the league, even if 4 of this weekend's games did not take place, and a further 2 games from round 5 have still to be played......but next weekend will be round 7. I wonder will people look back in 20-30 years time in amazement, the same way as we look back at when provincial finals were occasionaly played after All-Ireland finals!
    • Tyrone was by far the biggest winner this weekend, taking 3.13 rating points from Mayo following a big win in Castlebar
    • Clare's shock over Cork gains them 2.02 rating points
    • Carlow's win away to Antrim propels them to 21st, a position that they have not held since 2005 (Carlow's star has been rising for a while; they were the second-most improved team in 2017, with 9.53 rating points gained)

#|Δ Rank|Team|Rating|Δ Rating
    1 | = | Dublin | 111.07 | -0.82
    2 | = | Galway | 101.46 | 0.82
    3 | ▲ ▲ | Tyrone | 100.71 | 3.13
    4 | = | Kerry | 98.73 | 0.00
    5 | ▼ ▼ | Mayo | 97.32 | -3.13
    6 | = | Monaghan | 96.77 | 0.52
    7 | = | Armagh | 91.50 | -1.10
    8 | = | Roscommon | 91.20 | 0.80
    9 | | Tipperary | 87.47 | 0.00
    10 | | Donegal | 87.19 | -0.52
    11 | | Cavan | 85.61 | -0.80
    12 | | Kildare | 85.44 | 0.00
    13 | ▼ ▼ | Cork | 85.04 | -2.02
    14 | | Clare | 83.93 | 2.02
    15 | ▲ ▲ | Longford | 82.43 | 1.44
    16 | ▼ ▼ | Westmeath | 81.94 | -1.44
    17 | | Meath | 81.35 | 0.00
    18 | = | Down | 80.81 | 0.00
    19 | = | Fermanagh | 79.71 | 1.10
    20 | = | Derry | 76.20 | 0.52
    21 | ▲ ▲ | Carlow | 75.53 | 1.36
    22 | = | Laois | 74.89 | 0.00
    23 | ▼ ▼ | Sligo | 74.86 | -0.06
    24 | = | Offaly | 71.34 | 0.06
    25 | | Louth | 68.65 | 0.00
    26 | | Antrim | 68.38 | -1.36
    27 | = | Wexford | 66.61 | -0.52
    28 | = | Leitrim | 64.30 | 0.00
    29 | = | Limerick | 62.07 | 0.00
    30 | = | New York | 57.16 | 0.00
    31 | = | London | 55.88 | 0.00
    32 | = | Waterford | 55.76 | 0.00
    33 | = | Wicklow | 55.14 | 0.00

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

This is an enjoyable diversion but the positions of both Galway and Armagh indicate a big deviation from the reality of how these teams stack up. Are you ever going to adjust the formula?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,010 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Syferus wrote: »
    This is an enjoyable diversion but the positions of both Galway and Armagh indicate a big deviation from the reality of how these teams stack up. Are you ever going to adjust the formula?

Armagh have yet again played Division 3 football this year. Galway are unbeaten in Division 1. Add that to the fact that Galway beat Mayo in Connacht last year before losing to Roscommon, hammered Donegal in the Q4 and then got beaten by Kerry after they had been promoted from Division 2...

Whereas the mighty Armagh managed to conspire to remaining in division 3, get beaten by Down (who had just barely stayed in D2 with a draw against Cork on the last day), beat Fermanagh, Westmeath, Tipp and Kildare and then proceeded to get beaten out the gate by Tyrone in the most abject performance of the year... but of course... the rankings are wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,192 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Adjust the formula for what ?

Because you think the relative positions of Galway and Armagh are incorrect ?

Seriously like.

By the way laoisman11, adjust the formal there for Derry and Limerick please, I don't agree with their positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭elefant

Do they really? According to who?

Until they start losing games, they ain't going anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,010 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

laoisman11 wrote: »
    Until they start losing games, they ain't going anywhere!

Unless you're New York :P

Unless you're New York :P

Leitrim are making the trip over this year, a great opportunity for New York to hit rock bottom and remain there for a while :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Great work as ever Laoisman. Current ranking table shows the form of the majority but form for some is only temporary and the ranking table after the championship will a familiar look.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 revsperminute

Question there for Laoisman11: Seeing as Leitrim have officially conceded their game with London will this effect the ranking of either of these teams or do the games actually have to be played?

I see that depending on results this weekend there maybe a number of games that will not be played, I presume these games will be just be void rather than walkovers being given.

With regard to the ranking system I say its excellent and well done to you for putting in the work in putting it together and keeping it updated. Like all ranking systems and tables around the world in different sports they have their flaws but I as a GAA ranking system this would is well worked out and obviously has the past records taken into account and its commendable to you for the work involved in it. Well done and keep up the good work.

There used to be a hurling ranking table, but I have not seen it updated this year. It would be interesting to see this now following the recent league results and also with the new hurling championship format it would bode well to have a look and compare where teams stood.

There used to be a hurling ranking table, but I have not seen it updated this year. It would be interesting to see this now following the recent league results and also with the new hurling championship format it would bode well to have a look and compare where teams stood.

We don't need a hurling table again... Galway were number one and shall remain there for the rest of time so it wasn't needed. :)

• Advertisement

Question there for Laoisman11: Seeing as Leitrim have officially conceded their game with London will this effect the ranking of either of these teams or do the games actually have to be played?

I see that depending on results this weekend there maybe a number of games that will not be played, I presume these games will be just be void rather than walkovers being given.

With regard to the ranking system I say its excellent and well done to you for putting in the work in putting it together and keeping it updated. Like all ranking systems and tables around the world in different sports they have their flaws but I as a GAA ranking system this would is well worked out and obviously has the past records taken into account and its commendable to you for the work involved in it. Well done and keep up the good work.

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Regarding the Leitrim-London tie (and other possible unplayed games as the GAA attempt to tidy up this mess), the ranking system does not take into account games that are abandoned or given as walkovers.

Somebody was going to take up the hurling table, but it's tough for lads to find the time I guess. Check out the hurling thread to see if you can encourage them into action!

Advertisement