Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to photograph in Cork city?

Options
  • 21-03-2014 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm from Cork but living in Galway. I'll be in Cork over the weekend and have a bit of free time to take some pictures.
    I'm aware of the obvious places to photograph- City hall with the reflection on the river, Shandon bells, St. Finbars, English market.

Can anyone suggest some places/things to photograph; I might head out early Saturday afternoon & Sunday morning (thinking of sunrise but probably won't happen).
    I'm open to all types; landscape, cityscape, abstract etc.

Thanks in advance,
    Pa

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Get some pictures of the old Custom House! My husband has an interest in photography, and took a great picture of the Custom House. He then turned it into a black and white photo, which I plan to put on canvas.

In fact - the whole dock area should make some pretty good pictures. I'd also go to the top of Patrick's Hill and take some pictures looking down the hill.

If you go to Cathedral Road, there a brilliant view of St Finbarre's Cathedral from Gurranabraher Road. Further up the hill, you can get a good view of the harbour too.

Hope that's given you some ideas...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Cork's position never made it a great Sunrise or Sunset location but our early morning light is fantastic and the 'new' bridges can offer a early morning post sun rise picture of breathtaking beauty.

It's commented on by DJs as they arrive in town for work quite often. If one is lucky than this exact time of year is particularly magical as it near [past] Equinox.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Cork's position never made it a great Sunrise or Sunset location but our early morning light is fantastic and the 'new' bridges can offer a early morning post sun rise picture of breathtaking beauty.
    What are the new bridges? I know one just down from the river by Shandon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Michael Collins Bridge on the North Chanel.
    Eamon De Valera Bridge on the South Channel.

The Old Custom House is between them.

They are there now many a year, still the 'new' bridges to me and my circle. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Wheres a good place to see the whole City? The best one that I know of is up by the airport, instead of taking the airport road down, theres another small road that runs parrallel to it, and gives fantastic ariel shots, but most of Mahon/Douglas/ is missing. Id love a spot where you could see the whole city.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭GobblyNob

You can see the whole city from the top of Shandon Church. Costs €5 to get up there but it's worth it if you want a daycent pic. You can spend as long as you want up there as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

UCC
    Fitzgerald's Park
    Shakey Bridge

Elizabeth Fort
    Beamish and Crawford Brewery

The Lough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

GobblyNob wrote: »
    You can see the whole city from the top of Shandon Church. Costs €5 to get up there but it's worth it if you want a daycent pic. You can spend as long as you want up there as well.

Cheers, ya its fantastic up there, but I was more on about views from afar, like Dublin can be seen from the Wicklow mountins, was wondering if there was any handy spots around Cork for something similar.

CHealy wrote: »
    Cheers, ya its fantastic up there, but I was more on about views from afar, like Dublin can be seen from the Wicklow mountins, was wondering if there was any handy spots around Cork for something similar.

Plenty of good spots from around the southside of the city
    Airport Hill, Leghenamore areas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Cork Past and Present:
    http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/mapsimages/

Lots of interesting locations there imo.

http://www.abandonedireland.com/ - More ideas

• Advertisement

So I managed to get up early, was in town by 6.30.went down the docks, Shandon from top of Patrick's Hill, the empty streets.

I saw a few other photographers out, nice to see others up that early doing the same.

I'll post a link to some photos this evening hopefully.

Top of county hall on the west side of the city would be spectacular I'd imagine if you can get up there

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Good views from near the top of Cork University Hospital.

I found that there wasn't any particular location I could find for that 'epic' landscape/cityscape sunrise photo so instead I took photos of the empty streets. Tried to give a feeling of a ghost town.

Link to photos here

Besides that I took some of Shandon Bells, some graffiti, St. Finbars.

Here's two, will post more this week

6148CDE10AE54BB5B88E34FE679F1958-0000332953-0003525942-00640L-0E3269C7EA90410BA23E217A04B72376.jpg

5B0BE7C3DAF04395B2F11AE004F8DD9B-0000332953-0003525981-00640L-C86D48FB88D54A379F64E83BBBFF8AAC.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

They're beautiful pictures. Good job!

Here's two more:
    St. Finbars Cathedral, Cork City (like). I like the second one, the first is a very common photo of the cathedral

95BF5B77711A43A8B53F275C55862E31-0000332953-0003527086-00640L-8854F6C9389C43B99AC7152B7BF8D239.jpg

0E1FC038E5064E3385C07E1B3D73A2AA-0000332953-0003527087-00640L-C166812AE32E49D6834E7D8DB0DCF385.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Nice pictures, OP. Did you get the second St. Finnbarr's one from Sunday's Well?
    I was going to suggest the top of St. Patrick's Hill, but I think you got that one too.
    There are lots of good places for panoramic views on the Northside. Military Hill has some good views over the docks. Harbour View Road is good (as the name implies) as is Sun Valley Drive in Churchfield.
    On the southside, there are interesting views of Tivoli from the Marina in Blackrock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

If you head up to Atkins Hall on the Lee Road, you can get some nice views of Cork City.
    Atkins Hall itself used to be an old mental asylum and is quite an interesting looking building itself.

It's also possible to make your way from there to St Kevins asylum (the red brick - abandoned Ireland has some great shots) next to it. It's not possible to get into the buildings as they're boarded up now, but I think the decaying asylum and surrounding chapels etc make for interesting pics in themselves. Good view of Cork from the front of St Kevins also.

Nearby down by Wellington Bridge/ Lee fields area you can get some nice shots of the Lee river/Shaky bridge etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

dinneenp wrote: »
    So I managed to get up early, was in town by 6.30.went down the docks, Shandon from top of Patrick's Hill, the empty streets.

I saw a few other photographers out, nice to see others up that early doing the same.

I'll post a link to some photos this evening hopefully.

Very nice pix , impressed you managed to get shots of completely empty streets even at 6:30am , no traffic etc , great job .

Well Done

Advertisement