Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handy Tips and Hints for Pregnant Ladies!

Options
  • 21-03-2014 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭

I thought I'd start a thread on this because there seems to be a wealth of really good tips between all of us expectant ladies and if we can help each other or ease discomfort in any way, hopefully we'll collect a few that can be a good point of reference for people.

Because these are often shared in our specific due month threads, I also thought it might be nice to have a general one as well where we can share some pearls of wisdom relating to easing certain symptoms or what products work for us etc! (Hope this is OK Mods :))

My tip for decent sleep:

For anyone whose bump is starting to grow and where sleep is become a little uncomfortable, I'd urge people to purchase a Dream Genii Support Pillow asap! I've recommended this to a few people now, and I also have one myself, and it really makes for a very comfortable and supported sleep as bubba grows. It offers great support for the back as well as bump so allows for a restful sleep.

http://www.mothercare.com/Dreamgenii-Pregnancy-And-Feeding-Support-Pillow/933928,default,pd.html#q=dream%20genii

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I think everyone should have crackers and bottle of water beside the bed from early on in pregnancy because of nausea at the start and hunger if you wake many times at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I think everyone should have crackers and bottle of water beside the bed from early on in pregnancy because of nausea at the start and hunger if you wake many times at night.

And/or cashew nuts (unsalted). I've found these nuts great for when I was feeling far too pukey to eat anything substantial as they give lots of protein, energy, don't smell, need cooking or taste too strongly of anything. A handful goes a long way.

Also, for when you do eat, smaller amounts of food end up being more comfortable to disgest. I'm too early in the pregnancy for my stomach to be affected space wise but my intestines are really being pushed outwards as the day goes on and if I eat anything close to a normal sized dinner I get really uncomfortable afterwards. I've found that a smaller amount works much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Eat your dinner early, get a bit of exercise in and have loads of pillows!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

A banana a day keeps the night leg cramps away.

Well it did in my case anyway. My sister was pregnant at the same time as I was and was complaining about her legs cramping at night. I told her I didn't get them at all possibly because of the banana (potassium). She started eating them and got fewer cramps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Don't listen to any old wives tales or horror stories about your maternity hospital.
    Enjoy your free time and put your feet up.
    Let other people move or give you a seat, don't be a martyr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

A few sips of Sparkling water does wonders for morning(&afternoon & night time haha) sickness.

Lots and lots of pillows all around you for a good sleep :) i didn't buy a pregnancy pillow but I did use a normal pillow I under my bump and between my knees when lying on my side... Heaven!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

gentle exercise i.e walking especially during the last weeks of pregnancy or when overdue helps baby move down,
    I didn't do any so had a long labour with lots of bouncing on exercise ball in the hospital to help dilation, I will
    know for again though ................

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭painauchocolat

What a helpful idea, Merkin! Thank you! If anyone has advice about maternity clothes, I'd love to hear it. It only occurred to me when I found out I was pregnant, that I don't even know where to buy them. Have been living a happily oblivious life up until now. All about to change, no doubt ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

If you can't stomach bananas, and still get the leg cramps... Avocado is very high in potassium as well. And barley water i found good too.

Foam matress topper on bed takes some pressure off hips if you get spd.

Rice cakes helped a bit with heartburn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I'm so jealous I'm not pregnant! I love all things pregnant but with my first 2 being 15 months apart I'm not sure My hubbie will let me back on again!! Hehe!
    Bump bands - brilliant - I wore them over my maternity jeans when my bump was too small to fill out the bump part and it kept them snug and stopped it falling down and then they were great as bump got huge to prevent my belly showing if my tops got a little shorter than they were meant to!
    Maternity clothes... I loved h&m, topshop, and the odd time mothercare or mamas and papas.
    Pillow between ur legs at night helps when the bump gets bigger and one under the bump helps too.
    Enjoy it... When ur pregnant u think it'll never end, but It feels so long ago now! My girls are only 2 & 10 months!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

For when you're not big enough for maternity and you're trousers are getting too snug, loop a hairband through the button hole and use the remaining loop over the button. Just wear a looser top.My manager in work told me about it! Great for my jeans, but my word trousers are all tab closure so had to buy a maternity pair.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I found a small bowl of rice krispies (with milk, obviously) before bed would give you a few hours of respite from heartburn during the night. I was killed with heartburn from nearly day one and that old wives tale about heartburn meaning your baby will have loads of hair was true in my case, he was born with a full head of thick black hair and a mohawk!

Also ginger biscuits are good for nausea. I would put one or two in a little ziploc bag and carry it in my handbag during the day so they were on hand if I needed them. I kept a bottle of water, baby wipes and some nappy sacks in my car. I would get quite nauseous driving to work in the mornings, and when sips of water didn't settle my stomach, the nappy sacks are great puke bags :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

For maternity jeans, I found Next to be the best for fit and comfort, and for confidence (I went a size down, first time I've been a size 10 in years and they were even a bit loose, yay elastic). Do not judge your sizes off the Penneys ones, they're absolutely mental and the legs have potential in my experience to cut off the circulation to your ankles, while being completely baggy around the waist.

Long tops from Dunnes for me were a godsend, they weren't maternity ones just stretchy long sleeved tops to ensure bump got covered, and were pretty cheap to boot.

Belvita biscuits are fab for morning sickness queasiness - and always always water by the bed!

From own experience, pack a mini hospital bag early enough in the pregnancy in the hopes you won't need it - toothbrush, toothpaste, pjs etc, and ensure that you either bring it with you to appointments or your partner knows where it is - you never know when they'll want to keep you in for observation, even for something small, and it takes a lot of the stress off when you're not trying to get partner to find suitable pyjamas for you. Phone charger left in obvious place/your handbag is good for this too. You may never need it, but its just a small bit less stress if you do wind up being kept in - and I was twice by the time I was 20 weeks gone for little things!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I found fruit oat cakes and sparkling water good for the queasiness. The tip about keeping a bottle of water with you and some plastic bags in the car is a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Buy a vest! Stops your jeans from slipping down. Horrible sensation for months!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I wouldn't bother with under bump maternity jeans as I found when I got big the just kept falling off! One of those maternity/breastfeeding pillows was a godsend for getting good sleep. I'd never have bought one but got a gift and loved it!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It's not so much a life hack type thing, but what I learned was if you're having symptoms of SPD then say it to your midwife as opposed to your consultant. Some, not all, consultants can be a bit dismissive of it. My SIL was actually told by her consultant "well pain is just part of being pregnant, there's nothing wrong with you" and he wouldn't refer her to the physio so she ended up going privately. I mentioned it to the midwife when I was handing over my cup of pee and being weighed at the hospital appointment and she filled in a physio referral on the spot for me. Luckily my own consultant was really nice and when I got in to the room and mentioned it to him the first thing he said was "have they filled out a physio referral for you or do you want me to do it" but I think overall the midwives are a bit more sympathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Toots* wrote: »
    It's not so much a life hack type thing, but what I learned was if you're having symptoms of SPD then say it to your midwife as opposed to your consultant. Some, not all, consultants can be a bit dismissive of it. My SIL was actually told by her consultant "well pain is just part of being pregnant, there's nothing wrong with you" and he wouldn't refer her to the physio so she ended up going privately. I mentioned it to the midwife when I was handing over my cup of pee and being weighed at the hospital appointment and she filled in a physio referral on the spot for me. Luckily my own consultant was really nice and when I got in to the room and mentioned it to him the first thing he said was "have they filled out a physio referral for you or do you want me to do it" but I think overall the midwives are a bit more sympathetic.

I know in the Rotunda you can self refer to the physio department too, so no need to say it to anybody, just give them a ring and they'll get you an appointment. There are signs up around the nurses station in outpatients saying this.

Actually speaking of cups of pee, when you're in for your first hospital appointment, grab a good few of those pee jars. That way you can pee in them just before you leave the house and you'll be able to get straight into the queue when you get to the hospital instead of possibly having to queue for the bathroom first and then queue for the pee test. I'd always grab one or two extra ones as I was leaving the appointment because the one thing I found about being preggers is that no matter what medical professional you visit, chances are you're going to be asked for pee at some stage. If you're doing shared care then just fill the cup before you head to your GP and that makes it quicker there too.

Also when you're going for your bloods, make sure you drink plenty of water in the days leading up to it and on the day itself, so that you're well hydrated. If you're in any way dehydrated then it makes it harder for them to find a vein. Also the more hydrated you are the quicker the blood comes out when they put the needle in, so if you're like me and you're terrified of blood tests anything that makes the whole yucky experience be over quicker is a godsend!

January wrote: »
    I know in the Rotunda you can self refer to the physio department too, so no need to say it to anybody, just give them a ring and they'll get you an appointment. There are signs up around the nurses station in outpatients saying this.

That's a really good idea. There was nothing like that around Holles St when I was there, although maybe they have that now. I do know the physios were insanely over booked though, so maybe that was why. I was waiting a good 6 weeks for my appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

So true about the pee pots. Take a few of them, have them at home, saves you the discomfort of having to take the sample in the hospital, and also saves you a lot of time in the hospital queue! I'd advise this to anyone!

Also, if you ever get a chance to grab a few of the super-thick maternity pads in hospital, DO IT! I had the chance when I was in labour, but I didn't bother (even though I was advised to by other mothers) as I knew I had loads of the Boots ones in my bag. Those hospital ones were SO much better than the ones you buy in shops!

Stay as active and "normal" as possible, as long as possible, is important. There's that saying "you're pregnant, not disabled" - this is true - but many women suffer illnesses relating to pregnancy which do affect their mobility, and that's totally fair and understandable. For me, I had bad sickness to about seven months, and a lot of tiredness. Actually I felt a lot better at 36-41 weeks pregnant than all the time before, when I was always getting sick!

Buy as little as possible. This is key. What you end up needing, you can send someone for. What you don't, you'll be glad you saved the expense. You'd be surprised, what is essential for someone else would never cross your mind when the time comes ... and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

+1 on the crackers for morning sickness

Have had serious trouble finding maternity clothes that are suitable for work. Stayed with some dresses with a high/no waistband for a while, a dress I got in mothercare doesn't seem to be washing well, but will do the job for a while. Got black under bump trousers in New Look, which feel secure enough, but have to wear them with a bump band.

I just discovered JoJo Maman in Wicklow street and they have skirts and trousers that seem to do the job better than anything I have come across - they have a wide band that can fold under the bump or stay over-ish it. Just be aware that they have mail order from the uk as well - a dress in-shop is 55 euros, but 39 sterling.

Also - for firsttimers Mothercare do sessions evey now and again that cover car seats and buggies and they get a midwife in for a question & answer session which was quite good.

So true about the pee pots. Take a few of them, have them at home, saves you the discomfort of having to take the sample in the hospital, and also saves you a lot of time in the hospital queue! I'd advise this to anyone!

Also, if you ever get a chance to grab a few of the super-thick maternity pads in hospital, DO IT! I had the chance when I was in labour, but I didn't bother (even though I was advised to by other mothers) as I knew I had loads of the Boots ones in my bag. Those hospital ones were SO much better than the ones you buy in shops!

Stay as active and "normal" as possible, as long as possible, is important. There's that saying "you're pregnant, not disabled" - this is true - but many women suffer illnesses relating to pregnancy which do affect their mobility, and that's totally fair and understandable. For me, I had bad sickness to about seven months, and a lot of tiredness. Actually I felt a lot better at 36-41 weeks pregnant than all the time before, when I was always getting sick!

Buy as little as possible. This is key. What you end up needing, you can send someone for. What you don't, you'll be glad you saved the expense. You'd be surprised, what is essential for someone else would never cross your mind when the time comes ... and vice versa.
    They sell the hospital grade maternity pads in the hospital shop :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

They sell the hospital grade maternity pads in the hospital shop :)

Are they the big green ones?

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Are they the big green ones?

Yep, they come in packs of ten I think.

p6353965.jpg

Yep, they come in packs of ten I think.

p6353965.jpg

Cool. They're the ones that I've bought this time around. McCabes pharmacies sell them aswell in packs of 10. (If I ever get to use them is another thing!).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Towards the end of my 1st pregnancy I started bringing home a few pee pots so I could do my sample at home. On my second pregnancy I always had a stash.

Always do your pee in the morning before eating your breakfast. Twice I did my sample after eating and was told there was traces of sugar in it. Cue lots of talk of gestational diabetes. If you've got diabetes it'll be obvious in other ways so no point in being worried unnecessarily.

Give up white bread and only eat brown. It'll help wonders with keeping you regular.

Orange rennies tablets for heartburn instead of vile gaviscon. They taste like refresher sweets and are great for fighting heartburn.

Only over the bump jeans and trousers. I found h&m the best and the most comfie. I used to buy long sleeve tops from dunnes or penny's in a size bigger and only bought some maternity tops near the end when the bump needed a bit of space.

Buy breastfeeding bras at your last fitting while pregnant as it'll save you having to buy some when the baby is born if you're intending to breastfeed. On bras, avoid m&s. They measured me wrong so many times. Last time around I bought these http://www.bravadodesigns.com/mobile/eu-en/the-body-silk-seamless-nursing-bra

I had 2 in s, m and l and used l for after the birth . I saved a fortune as I only bought 6 bras for the whole pregnancy.

Digestive biscuits and crackers were great for the all day sickness and sparkling water too.

Try to keep a healthy diet so you don't put on too much weight. You're not really eating for 2!

Buy a few packs of the hospital grade maternity pads for after the birth. Most pharmacies sell them.

Have a bath twice a day after the birth to avoid getting an infection 'down there'. It's a nice way of getting a few minutes me time too.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Cool. They're the ones that I've bought this time around. McCabes pharmacies sell them aswell in packs of 10. (If I ever get to use them is another thing!).

Brilliant, I had checked Boots and Bradleys for them but I'll head to McCabe's on Monday and buy some for the bag. The second time around I thought I could manage without them but they really are a godsend for the first few days.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Tbh I found those green ones terribly scratchy, not good when you have stitches, what in did find better were Tena night time pads. Granted they're like nappies with no sides, so big but terribly well padded, really good for the first few days after. Witch hazel is good too.
    The ones http://www.tena.co.uk/women/product-information/our-products/pads/tena-lady-maxi-night/

New look was good for work trousers, stretchy sided ones with internal waist extenders.

Sleep as much as you can when you can, you'll have times when you can't sleep so get all you can.

Hospitals are extremely warm and usually don't have any windows open so remember to drink as much water as you can.

• Advertisement

Brilliant, I had checked Boots and Bradleys for them but I'll head to McCabe's on Monday and buy some for the bag. The second time around I thought I could manage without them but they really are a godsend for the first few days.

I got mine in McCabes in Dundrum. So Im assuming the whole chain has them :)

Advertisement