Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handy Tips and Hints for Pregnant Ladies!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MissFire

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across like I was singling out nurses. I was commenting on previous posts that specifically mentioned alt med advice from nurses. Any health care professional advising it is not being responsible, IMO. Alt med isn't proven to work yet or what dose, so its not for me.

So you won't be hopping off the raspberry leaf tea either if you go a few days over then? Haha I might give that a try if there's no budging...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

MissFire wrote: »
    So you won't be hopping off the raspberry leaf tea either if you go a few days over then? Haha I might give that a try if there's no budging...

Raspberry leaf tea does not bring on labour, it tones the uterus to make contractions work more effectively when labour does start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

January wrote: »
    Raspberry leaf tea does not bring on labour, it tones the uterus to make contractions work more effectively when labour does start.

Yes I've also read this. Apparently you need to really be taking it for a few weeks through your pregnancy and it just makes the labour quicker rather than actually bring on labour. I've heard a few people say there friends took it and it brought on labour... This could be true... Could also be a coincidence id say....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Yes I've also read this. Apparently you need to really be taking it for a few weeks through your labour and it just makes the labour quicker rather than actually bring on labour. I've heard a few people say there friends took it and it brought on labour... This could be true... Could also be a coincidence id say....

**probably** anecdotal...you get to your due date or beyond, get desperate and start horsing back the raspberry leaf tea and suddenly you go into labour... chances are, at or past your due date you would have gone into labour anyway, but then people swear it was the tea that did it...

**runs away!**

nikpmup wrote: »
    **probably** anecdotal...you get to your due date or beyond, get desperate and start horsing back the raspberry leaf tea and suddenly you go into labour... chances are, at or past your due date you would have gone into labour anyway, but then people swear it was the tea that did it...

**runs away!**

Hahaha precisely....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Like how people took arnica for a week and it cleared those bruises right up.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

nikpmup wrote: »

**runs away!**

Haha, come back nikmup! its safe!

Haha, come back nikmup! its safe!

I'd take anything over spicy curries , castor oil and himself pawing at me while like I feel like an overfed whale ha ha ha

Lol, no not a chance! For one, i'm not taking anything that's not been tested, i'm not a fan of 'sure what harm can it do?' And two, sure the due date is more of a guide than a deadline so I'll hope to keep that in mind, but its easy to say that now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I'd take anything over spicy curries , castor oil and himself pawing at me while like I feel like an overfed whale ha ha ha

I ate spicy curries all the way through my pregnancy! From what I've heard, castor oil is meant to give you bad diahorrea, which can bring labour on ... but it's certainly not how I'd like to do it.

I walked loads and loads in my last couple of weeks, and went into labour by myself at home, waters broke by themselves and all, which was just the way I wanted labour to start. I was six days overdue at the time, who knows if the walking helped or if it was just coincidence! I feel like it helped though. I did recover (physically) very quickly from the birth, barely even needed a Panadol for the pain afterwards (we won't talk about during!!) But I think keeping active definitely helped with my recovery.

• Advertisement

I ate spicy curries all the way through my pregnancy! From what I've heard, castor oil is meant to give you bad diahorrea, which can bring labour on ... but it's certainly not how I'd like to do it.

I walked loads and loads in my last couple of weeks, and went into labour by myself at home, waters broke by themselves and all, which was just the way I wanted labour to start. I was six days overdue at the time, who knows if the walking helped or if it was just coincidence! I feel like it helped though. I did recover (physically) very quickly from the birth, barely even needed a Panadol for the pain afterwards (we won't talk about during!!) But I think keeping active definitely helped with my recovery.

Castor oil gave me the runs, broke my waters and then not a sniff of a contraction. Ended up needing to be induced 24 hours later. I would not recommend it to any body.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Castor oil gave me the runs, broke my waters and then not a sniff of a contraction. Ended up needing to be induced 24 hours later. I would not recommend it to any body.

At antenatal classes midwives said do not use castor oil! But they did suggest curries and housework on all fours!

Millem wrote: »
    At antenatal classes midwives said do not use castor oil! But they did suggest curries and housework on all fours!

A German midwife actually recommended castor oil, a shot of vodka and apricot juice as a cocktail to me when I was pregnant on my first. It was at my last antenatal visit. I skipped the vodka.

I didn't do a thing second time and waters broke naturally. Nothing happened after that so had another section. I didn't bother with any old wives tales second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

A German midwife actually recommended castor oil, a shot of vodka and apricot juice as a cocktail to me when I was pregnant on my first. It was at my last antenatal visit. I skipped the vodka.
    Holy god! She should be sacked! The castor oil makes you extremely sick and gives you the runs, so u end up dehydrated and exhausted by the time you are in labour!

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    Holy god! She should be sacked! The castor oil makes you extremely sick and gives you the runs, so u end up dehydrated and exhausted by the time you are in labour!

Haha, I know... I took it.

Haha, I know... I took it.

Ugh even the thoughts of it makes me vomit!

Jaysus, that sounds vile, even without the threat of diarrhea :eek:

I've read somewhere that it is the baby that determines start of labour rather than the mother. I hope it takes after it's Dad, he's always early while I'm usually heading out the door 5 min after I'm supposed to be there :rolleyes:

A tip I find great is always have some kind of snack in your handbag. Such as cereal bars, nuts, crackers etc. I found in early pregnancy if I got hungry I would feel really sick!

• Advertisement

I've read somewhere that it is the baby that determines start of labour rather than the mother. I hope it takes after it's Dad, he's always early while I'm usually heading out the door 5 min after I'm supposed to be there :rolleyes:

If this one takes after its dad, it'll be here half hour before the contractions start!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

When I asked the consultant at 40 weeks and a few days he said the only proven thing was sex and that the gel used for induction uses an artificial version of a hormone found in semen. He said things like walking and bouncing help you feel like you are doing something constructive and being more active obviously can help with labour but was dismissive of the other old wives tales in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Am due Thursday so time to give hubby a rattle see if it helps! Will post with any update on if it works

Roesy wrote: »
    When I asked the consultant at 40 weeks and a few days he said the only proven thing was sex and that the gel used for induction uses an artificial version of a hormone found in semen. He said things like walking and bouncing help you feel like you are doing something constructive and being more active obviously can help with labour but was dismissive of the other old wives tales in general.

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!! that's what got me in this mess in the first place!! :P

Lol.... Good for getting baby in..... Good for getting baby out......

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I must have been the odd one out, I never got fed up with being pregnant at the end. Thats not being critical of anyone who is at that fed-up stage by the way! I just never experienced what that feels like. It was even a bit of a heatwave in my 38/39/40 weeks, but since I'm pretty good with heat anyway, it was ok. Other women were melting!

Granted, I went the day after due date, but I had no urge to have baby out or try and speed up the process. I think babies come out when they are ready and not too keen on mums or medical professionals deciding time of birth. I did get induced and subsequently c-sectioned, due to the meconium and babys erratic heartbeat, but would have loved to have a naturally occuring start to labour and see how I got on.

You are under no obligation to agree to an induction. The hospital policy may be x or y and pressure might be applied to get you to agree but you can say no.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

lazygal wrote: »
    You are under no obligation to agree to an induction. The hospital policy may be x or y and pressure might be applied to get you to agree but you can say no.

Oh I know. But hadnt counted on meconium and the fact my body didnt budge beyond 1cm including after 3 hrs on the syncotocin drip. Stubborn fanny. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I have to say I never got sick of being pregnant either. Obviously I was very excited about the baby coming, and couldn't wait to go into labour, but I never got to an uncomfortable stage of pregnancy. I went six days over, but at that stage I was still fully active, still able to run for the bus and walk for as long as I wanted, I never felt heavy or uncomfortable even at the end, and I was sleeping sooooo much and so well those last couple of weeks! Mmmm sleep ... I miss sleep! :o Oh and my morning sickness finally ended at around seven months, so those last two months were absolute bliss really, and I had a lot more energy than I'd had throughout the rest of the pregnancy! So I wasn't bothered trying to hurry things along with castor oil or herbal teas or anything else.

• Advertisement

I hate being pregnant. But I have to say my impatience with baby number 2 was probably due to having another baby at home who needed A LOT of attention which was really quite difficult to give with a big bump. Made me feel terrible that I couldn't pick him up and cuddle him as much as I wanted to.

I was also certain number 2 would come early like number 1. which prob also made me impatient towards the end but she came exactly one week late. Was the longest week of my life....

Advertisement