Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Draw

• 21-03-2014 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

Anyone want to keep a guy at work updated.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Running a highlight reel so far :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Only 10 mins of faffing. Nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Barca vs Atletico
    Real vs Dortmund
    PSG vs Chelsea
    Utd vs Bayern

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Only 10 minutes late??? That's a first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

bye bye united

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

PSG v Chelsea
    Bayern v Man Utd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Manchester United v Bayern Munich

Paris St-Germain v Chelsea

Real Madrid
    v Borussia Dortmund

Barcelona v Atletico Madrid

hard to call the other two but PSG and Barca the favs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Christ United couldn't have got a worse draw with the first leg at home too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Happy with our draw anyway, 2nd leg at the Bridge is key, be very happy with a score draw in Paris right now.

Under no illuisons its a tough game but avoiding Barca, Real and Bayern was good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Tough draw for United that! I'd be happy if I was a Chelsea fan too.

A Madrid and Barca will be a cracking tie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Have they drawn the semis too or do they wait until the quaterfinals are over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Odds to get through,

Barcelona 1/3 v Atletico Madrid 9/4
    Real Madrid 1/4 v Dortmund 11/4
    PSG 4/5 v Chelsea 10/11
    Man Utd 11/4 v Bayern 1/4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Semi Final draw on April 11th afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Any particular reason why they don't do the quarter and semi finals draw together anymore?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Have to be pleased with that draw from a Barcelona perspective, but will still be difficult enough. Calderon is not the happiest of hunting grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

dfx- wrote: »
    Have to be pleased with that draw from a Barcelona perspective, but will still be difficult enough. Calderon is not the happiest of hunting grounds.

I would say athletico will be up for it and Barca may get a fright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I would say athletico will be up for it and Barca may get a fright.

Champions League QF - I would say all 8 teams will be UP FOR IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Champions League QF - I would say all 8 teams will be UP FOR IT.

Really, is that why man utd supporters are so down in the mouth then..... Maybe 7 are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Really, is that why man utd supporters are so down in the mouth then..... Maybe 7 are.

Are Man Utd supporters playing in the quarter finals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

For all you Bayern fans out there :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-XsRJU-LGo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

mike65 wrote: »
    Manchester United v Bayern Munich

Paris St-Germain v Chelsea

Real Madrid
    v Borussia Dortmund

Barcelona v Atletico Madrid

hard to call the other two but PSG and Barca the favs.

How do you make PSG favs against Chelsea?

How do you make PSG favs against Chelsea?

Because they have a better team. Obviously Chelsea have the experience, but PSG aren't going to let that get to them, as their individual players also have that experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

rob316 wrote: »
    Christ United couldn't have got a worse draw with the first leg at home too.

They're better with the home leg first in this tie. If the 1st leg was in Munich, the tie would be over by the time the 2nd leg came around. This way at least United can have a go at Old Trafford with the tie still alive.

It'll be Bayern, PSG and Real Madrid to go through, with Barca v Athletico the hardest tie to call, I'll go with Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Because they have a better team. Obviously Chelsea have the experience, but PSG aren't going to let that get to them, as their individual players also have that experience.

Can't see Chelsea buckling under the weight of PSG tbh.
    Get an away goal then play out the battle at the Bridge.

They do not have a better team than Chelsea, far from it

The bookies see at as even, both 5/6 to qualify, but to say they are a better team than Chelsea is crazy. I watch them on BT alot and they are usually playing some terrible teams, i.e pretty much like Celtic............and are yet to impress me, bar Ibra and his magic goal/skill etc every week or 2

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I'd opt for PSG's starting XI over Chelsea's, that's not to say Chelsea can't beat them of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

What is that supposed to even mean?
    Posting drivel for the sake of it?

They do not have a better team than Chelsea, far from it
    I'd say they do. Midfields are probably about equal, Chelsea have better fullbacks but PSG have better centre halves, and their front lines aren't worth comparing there's that much of a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Better team?

I think it's amazing the lack of respect that Chelsea squad receive on here by times. Two European trophies in two seasons with the addition of a multi European Cup winning manager.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Better team?

I think it's amazing the lack of respect that Chelsea squad receive on here by times. Two European trophies in two seasons with the addition of a multi European Cup winning manager.

Yes, better team. I outlined why I think that, maybe you should counter that if you think otherwise.

I'd say they do. Midfields are probably about equal, Chelsea have better fullbacks but PSG have better centre halves, and their front lines aren't worth comparing there's that much of a difference.

John Terry would start CB for PSG no doubt about it at all so thats even, so only area they are better than them is up top and can see Jose getting it tactically correct to mark Ibra out of both games and it will be a comfortable win for Chelsea overall IMO

John Terry would start CB for PSG no doubt about it at all so thats even, so only area they are better than them is up top and can see Jose getting it tactically correct to mark Ibra out of both games and it will be a comfortable win for Chelsea overall IMO

I'd rather Marquinhos these days, so yeah, there's doubt. Either way Thiago Silva is miles better than either/anybody else in the world. And if you mark Ibra out of the game, then you still have Cavani to deal with.

Yes, better team. I outlined why I think that, maybe you should counter that if you think otherwise.

Well, Chelsea are narrow favourites to progress which means something.

The core of that Chelsea team are winners who have come through ties like this many times, dislikeable though some of them may be. The PSG team has yet to win a meaningful European tie as a collective and their star player has consistently played the worst football of his career in such games.

I think Chelsea have a lot more positives then PSG to be honest...

Better manager : Chelsea

Gk : Chelsea

Defense : Chelsea

Midfield : Chelsea

Strikers : PSG

Just my opinion obviously we'll see what happens.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Well, Chelsea are narrow favourites to progress which means something.

The core of that Chelsea team are winners who have come through ties like this many times, dislikeable though some of them may be. The PSG team has yet to win a meaningful European tie as a collective and their star player has consistently played the worst football of his career in such games.

I'd agree that Mourinho would skew the odds in Chelseas favour, but that's not what I was arguing. I think that PSG have better players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

I'd agree that Mourinho would skew the odds in Chelseas favour, but that's not what I was arguing. I think that PSG have better players.

Actually, your initial argument was that PSG would be favorites. It looks to be quite even with the bookies. But Chelsea are a more experienced team, playing in a way stronger league, with a better manager, stronger defense and mid-field. Ibra is famous for not turning up in the big games either. Hence, the surprise at someone making PSG favorites.

You said better team originally, now its better players!! Which is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I will be backing Atletico at 9/4 to beat Barca seems great value.

GBXI wrote: »
    Actually, your initial argument was that PSG would be favorites. It looks to be quite even with the bookies. But Chelsea are a more experienced team, playing in a way stronger league, with a better manager, stronger defense and mid-field. Ibra is famous for not turning up in the big games either. Hence, the surprise at someone making PSG favorites.
    I do think they're favourites (for me, I'm not the bookies). I think their defence is good enough to marshal Chelsea reasonably well, and they have the firepower to score a few too. Oh, and Ibra has turned up in big games for years now.

You said better team originally, now its better players!! Which is it?
    Eh they're the same thing in this context. The manager is not part of the team.

• Advertisement

Sirigu or Cech?

I'd say that's about even. Cech in his prime though trumps Sirigiu by some distance, but this is based on the present.

van der Wiel, Marquinhos , Thiago Silva & Digne or Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry & Azpilicueta?

(edit - forgot about Ashley Cole, but is he considered a starter anymore?)

I'd lean to the French side. Taking nothing away from Terry as a defender, but Thiago Silva is Thiago Silva. Marquinhos and Digne are both exceptional talents with youth on their side on should be part of their national team's future for the next decade if they fulfil their potential. Cahill, for me since I didn't rate him has surprised me in how much he's improved this season I must say. I do rate Azpilicueta, and he's someone who'll never really get the plaudits his performances deserve, but again, if Digne reaches his potential, watch out. However, for the time being I'd go with Azpilicueta. van der Wiel has been exceptional, there's not been many better RB's in world football this season. Ivanovic is a solid all rounder, but he is a square peg in a round hole somewhat too.

Cabaye, Motta, Veratti, Matuidi, Pastore, Lucas & Lavezzi or Ramires, Lampard, Oscar, Schürrle, Willian, Oscar & Hazard?

I was unsure whether to put Lavezzi here or with Ibra and Cavani, because he does tend to play just off the main striker a good bit too along with playing out wide.

Over all it's hard to call. PSG do rotate their midfielders quite a bit more so than Chelsea, but at the same time, Chelsea are without Salah and Matic, latter is especially a blow to them. I think as things stand for the game, PSG just have better players to call upon in central midfield. However, Chelsea have the advantage out wide and CAM as Lucas is too hot or cold for my liking and the same could be said of Lavezzi, Pastore's career has gone down the toilet from his Palermo days. And at least with Chelsea, their wingers/wing forwards you know you'll get a shift defensively from them at the very least.

Ibra & Cavani or Torres, Ba & Eto?

Mourinho or Blanc?

Despite anyone's feeling towards him on the pitch, Mourinho you'd have to opt for, but Blanc is no scrub coach and anyone who thinks otherwise, I'd take no notice of them.

If you had to depend on one to give you a performance, it would be Chelsea out of the two, but on paper PSG's starting XI is more impressive.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Sirigu or Cech?

I'd say that's about even. Cech in his prime though trumps Sirigiu by some distance, but this is based on the present.

van der Wiel, Marquinhos , Thiago Silva & Digne or Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry & Azpilicueta?

(edit - forgot about Ashley Cole, but is he considered a starter anymore?)

I'd lean to the French side. Taking nothing away from Terry as a defender, but Thiago Silva is Thiago Silva. Marquinhos and Digne are both exceptional talents with youth on their side on should be part of their national team's future for the next decade if they fulfil their potential. Cahill, for me since I didn't rate him has surprised me in how much he's improved this season I must say. I do rate Azpilicueta, and he's someone who'll never really get the plaudits his performances deserve, but again, if Digne reaches his potential, watch out. However, for the time being I'd go with Azpilicueta. van der Wiel has been exceptional, there's not been many better RB's in world football this season. Ivanovic is a solid all rounder, but he is a square peg in a round hole somewhat too.

Cabaye, Motta, Veratti, Matuidi, Pastore, Lucas & Lavezzi or Ramires, Lampard, Oscar, Schürrle, Willian, Oscar & Hazard?

I was unsure whether to put Lavezzi here or with Ibra and Cavani, because he does tend to play just off the main striker a good bit too along with playing out wide.

Over all it's hard to call. PSG do rotate their midfielders quite a bit more so than Chelsea, but at the same time, Chelsea are without Salah and Matic, latter is especially a blow to them. I think as things stand for the game, PSG just have better players to call upon in central midfield. However, Chelsea have the advantage out wide and CAM as Lucas is too hot or cold for my liking and the same could be said of Lavezzi, Pastore's career has gone down the toilet from his Palermo days. And at least with Chelsea, their wingers/wing forwards you know you'll get a shift defensively from them at the very least.

Ibra & Cavani or Torres, Ba & Eto?

Mourinho or Blanc?

Despite anyone's feeling towards him on the pitch, Mourinho you'd have to opt for, but Blanc is no scrub coach and anyone who thinks otherwise, I'd take no notice of them.

If you had to depend on one to give you a performance, it would be Chelsea out of the two, but on paper PSG's starting XI is more impressive.

I still feel that PSG only trump them up top to be honest. I don't know much about their goalkeeper though to be honest.

I do think they're favourites (for me, I'm not the bookies). I think their defence is good enough to marshal Chelsea reasonably well, and they have the firepower to score a few too. Oh, and Ibra has turned up in big games for years now.

Eh they're the same thing in this context. The manager is not part of the team.

Having better players does not mean you have a better team so they are not the same thing at all.
    Chelsea are a better team than PSG, Are top of a far superior league to PSG, have more experience individually (bar one or 2) as them and far more experience as a team than them.

Not saying PSG have no chance, of course they do but I dont get this PSG love in, what have the side they have last 2/3 yrs done to be considered a top top team?

Having better players does not mean you have a better team so they are not the same thing at all.
    Chelsea are a better team than PSG, Are top of a far superior league to PSG, have more experience individually (bar one or 2) as them and far more experience as a team than them.

Not saying PSG have no chance, of course they do but I dont get this PSG love in, what have the side they have last 2/3 yrs done to be considered a top top team?

Nothing. But Ibra is really cool and stuff.

By contrast Chelsea are battle hardened in Europe and unbeaten in knockout ties since April 2011.

Well they're certainly clicking as a team, so the whole "not a team" argument doesn't wash with me.

What have they done? Much more than Chelsea in last years competition, that's for sure :pac:

Well they're certainly clicking as a team, so the whole "not a team" argument doesn't wash with me.

What have they done? Much more than Chelsea in last years competition, that's for sure :pac:

Who said "not a team", not once did I say PSG were not a good team, I just pointed out that Chelsea are a better team!

So you think PSG done better than Chelsea over last 2 years in Europe?

PSG Round 1 of Europa League followed by 1.4 final Champions League

Chelsea Champions League Winners, Europa League Winners

Who said "not a team", not once did I say PSG were not a good team, I just pointed out that Chelsea are a better team!
    In your opinion, I disagree.
    So you think PSG done better than Chelsea over last 2 years in Europe?

Where did I say that? You're making things up now.

In your opinion, I disagree.

Where did I say that? You're making things up now.

Says the one who said " "not a team" argument doesn't wash with me" when I once never said PSG didnt play like a team

You said "What have they done? Much more than Chelsea in last years competition"
    True but Chelsea still had a better season than them. PSG would have taken a Europa League trophy over CL 1/4 final any day of the week

If previous history was the be all to end all, Dortmund wouldn't have reached the final last year. Heck, same could be said for Arsenal as well when they reached the final back in 2006, quarter final a couple of years ago being their best finish previously. Same goes for many clubs on the continent. I think the team ethos will see Chelsea through, but it's far from a forgone conclusion and PSG have numerous players who can produce a bit of magic in a tight game, let alone Ibra.

If there is one player who'd I love to see win it all.. outside of Dortmund, it'd be Ibra though.

Says the one who said " "not a team" argument doesn't wash with me" when I once never said PSG didnt play like a team
    You said that having good players doesn't necessarily make a good team. I agree, but the fact is that PSG have clicked as a team.
    You said "What have they done? Much more than Chelsea in last years competition"
    True but Chelsea still had a better season than them. PSG would have taken a Europa League trophy over CL 1/4 final any day of the week
    Well we're not talking about the EL are we? And the fact is that reaching a quarter final and going out narrowly to Barcelona in your first season there for a long time is mightily impressive. And they're better this year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement