Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you judge quality of a schnauzer pup?

Options
  • 21-03-2014 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi,

We're looking at schnauzers and have had some difficulty in finding any that weren't puppy farmed etc. We now have found 2 different litters, breeders both look good and IKC registered (not sure if that counts for much really or is it just a piece of paper?), both look good but some slight differences in the look of the pups. What should you look for in this breed when buying? We're not aiming to breed at any stage, just want good tempered healthy happy dogs!
    Also can you be fairly sure because the breeder is KC registered that they are reasonably responsible and not puppy farming? We are hoping to travel this weekend to either or and kinda have to make a decision which direction we go based on conversations with the breeders and photos of the pups because they are at opposite ends of the country.....

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Where did you get the breeders details from as this will judge the quality of the pups? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057173170 ?

Also read this thread - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056295154

Also there will be more litters - it's worth the wait to go for a responsible breeder

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Nicman

tk123 wrote: »
    Where did you get the breeders details from as this will judge the quality of the pups? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057173170 ?

Also read this thread - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056295154

Also there will be more litters - it's worth the wait to go for a responsible breeder

Hi, thanks. Yes originally saw them on done deal but checked them out and they're both kc registered. I guess we trust one more than the other right now based on alot of information provided and a general feel that she is an extremely responsible conscientious breeder. We don't know much about the other except that she is KC registered but then it's more tempting because she is cheaper and closer. But we aren't going to make a decision based on price to be clear.
    Just finding it hard to decide. The more we think about it the more I think we trust the more expensive one but it would be a bonus if we were better informed and we already contacted those people from the post attached but didn't have any joy - little to no advice, certainly wouldn't entice you to or give you reason to go with kc breeders rather than the alternative!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If they're on done deal then walk away is the only advise I'd give you. No "extremely responsible conscientious breeder" advertises on DD - they don't need to because they have people queued up to buy their pups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭stoeger2000

Nicman wrote: »
    Hi,

We're looking at schnauzers and have had some difficulty in finding any that weren't puppy farmed etc. We now have found 2 different litters, breeders both look good and IKC registered (not sure if that counts for much really or is it just a piece of paper?), both look good but some slight differences in the look of the pups. What should you look for in this breed when buying? We're not aiming to breed at any stage, just want good tempered healthy happy dogs!
    Also can you be fairly sure because the breeder is KC registered that they are reasonably responsible and not puppy farming? We are hoping to travel this weekend to either or and kinda have to make a decision which direction we go based on conversations with the breeders and photos of the pups because they are at opposite ends of the country.....

Thanks

IKC papers mean nothing, as puppy farmers have ways around getting them anyway. a responsible breeder will want to meet you before they agree to sell you a pup, to make sure you're going to be able to give the pup a good home, and not just looking for a puppy machine yourself. Like tk123 said, dont be in any panic, there will be other litters, and better to wait now than have undue heartache and countless vet bills in the near future.

IKC papers mean nothing, as puppy farmers have ways around getting them anyway. a responsible breeder will want to meet you before they agree to sell you a pup, to make sure you're going to be able to give the pup a good home, and not just looking for a puppy machine yourself. Like tk123 said, dont be in any panic, there will be other litters, and better to wait now than have undue heartache and countless vet bills in the near future.

Hi, thanks so much. Absolutely - this is why we want a good breed, want a healthy dog. However one of these breeders absolutely quized me on our living circumstances, where we'd keep the dog during the day and night. Vet care, diet, exercise. She won't sell them unless she's sure we're taking good care of them and has already refused someone else apparently. The other breeder doesn't care it seems and the more I chat to you guys the more I'm thinking the other breeder is not reliable. The first one originally advertised a different litter last year with KC and we were in touch with her then. She hasn't used done deal before so I don't know why now. I think we might meet her and see their surroundings and stuff before we make a decision. She said people have paid her deposits in the past before seeing the dogs but she actually advised me against it saying we should see them first! Which was our plan anyway.
    She seemed really fussy on every level...... don't know if that means much. She gave me an entire history on both parents and another pet dog she has in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes, fussy is good. Shows that they care about where the pups are going to. You can never be too careful or ask too much.

andreac wrote: »
    Yes, fussy is good. Shows that they care about where the pups are going to. You can never be too careful or ask too much.

Definitely - impressed with the level of fussiness :-) Wouldn't be impressed if they didn't care what happened these little guys after they left their mum. Thats why we want to go with that breeder above the other to be honest, we trust her although we haven't met.

My mind has been made up anyway through all these posts :-) thanks for your advice.

Advertisement