Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My crashed bike is to be crushed, what should i salvage?

• 21-03-2014 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

My bike just got picked up to be crushed, since the insurance company deemed it unroadworthy (likely untrue), but they said i could salvage parts off it, cause i have another Fazer now.

I've already told the guy I want the tyres, chain and Sprockets. What else should i be looking to get back off it?

The crashed bike was a 99 FZS600 (red), my new bike is a 01 FZS600 (gold). The front forks and fairing got smashed up in the crash, as did the fuel tank (dented), exhaust is bent and likely the front wheel is broken too.

Edit: Oh sh*t, lol, didn't realise I was still in AH, lololol
    Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the stabilisers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Xios wrote: »
    Hey guys,

My bike just got picked up to be crushed, since the insurance company deemed it unroadworthy (likely untrue), but they said i could salvage parts off it, cause i have another Fazer now.

I've already told the guy I want the tyres, chain and Sprockets. What else should i be looking to get back off it?

The crashed bike was a 99 FZS600 (red), my new bike is a 01 FZS600 (gold). The front forks and fairing got smashed up in the crash, as did the fuel tank (dented), exhaust is bent and likely the front wheel is broken too.

There's a motorbikes forum you'll get answers from although I imagine there's plenty in here who can tell you as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

mod

moved from AH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Salvage anything that is inter-changeable with your current set of wheels, saddle, mirrors, downpipes/exhaust, shocks, brake calipers etc.

Anything that isn't inter-changeable, salvage anyway & sell on eBay...simples :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Hey guys,

Basically anything that is (a) fit to be reused, (b) you are able to remove and (c) will fit your new bike. Depending on how unlucky you are or how prone to dropping the bike you are, that could include footrests, light stalks, seat, brake discs and pads, the battery, silencer, etc. As much of the bike as you can carry really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

What's the engine/gearbox like in her? ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

dont bother taking any brake parts, (brake pads etc). They weren't much use the last time you rode the bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

What about bellypans, huggers, brake lines if they were upgraded, tail tidy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

RosieJoe wrote: »
    What about bellypans, huggers, brake lines if they were upgraded, tail tidy?

Yeah, the tail is, but everything on the new fazer is up to scratch, so don't see myself needing large body parts in the near future. Plus i think scraped fazers are very common with the engines in good nick, so won't really need those parts right now either. Or do I?

Big C wrote: »
    dont bother taking any brake parts, (brake pads etc). They weren't much use the last time you rode the bike

They worked fine. But they had nothing on the braking power of a car door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

They worked fine. But they had nothing on the braking power of a car door.

I'd say the breaking power of the door did it's job :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Take the indicators and rear lights, never know when you might need to replace those. Brake calipers also, you could get them reconditioned and have them sitting spare, would be ideal to switch the calipers with the used ones on the bike so you can clean them at leisure and not be without the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

anything that's not totalled is worth something - why not just make an offer to buy it back off the insurance co - something small. If you part it out it's still worth a few hundred. I had to replace an axle nut and washer on my bike last week and they cost €14.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Ask if you can salvage the whole thing. lol..

They said it legally has be crushed, its not allowed back on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

madness ted..! thought they just cut the frame or the like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Let them keep the frame, thats the bit that has to be crushed and is the part with the serial#
    All the rest keep.
    Reg/Rec/switch gear/Engine parts/Induction.
    Cycle parts.
    Swingarm/calipers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Let them keep the frame, thats the bit that has to be crushed and is the part with the serial#
    All the rest keep.
    Reg/Rec/switch gear/Engine parts/Induction.
    Cycle parts.
    Swingarm/calipers..

This ^^^^^^
    Keep everything else even wiring loom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

OHHHHHH I have a Fazer 600.... 98... so everything is workable....

Any chance you'd take off the front left hanger along with the Gear Lever assembly, The Crank case cover (the left hand one), What colour is it? Rear brake caliper too..... And if it's in good condition with no rust spots, the handle bar.

If you took them off and threw them up on Fleabay I'd buy them off you in a second! I'll probably think of more parts too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I have a 1998 Gold Fazer and a 2002 red Fazer (off the road).

Could I get the front wheel fender off you? :) I drove off with my chain still wrapped around my wheel last week. Destroyed my front wheel fender.

You could take a few pictures of your bike and post them up. There are still a lot of Fazers going that would love some donor parts.

I do 1000km per week so in years to come I'm sure it will be needing replacement parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

you can , if you make an offer to the insurance company at scrap value , they will sell it to you , i have done it before , and so have plenty of my mates

i thought it was widely known that you can buy the bike back off the company for little or no money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

dj jarvis wrote: »
    you can , if you make an offer to the insurance company at scrap value , they will sell it to you , i have done it before , and so have plenty of my mates

i thought it was widely known that you can buy the bike back off the company for little or no money

Happened me when my van was totalled..i accepted a lower amount and kept the van.....then sold the parts off..made twice the amount more selling the engine than what they valued the whole van was worth...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

Do buy it off your insurance company, and I will buy the center stand off you!

Advertisement