Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good places to look for a horse?

Options
  • 21-03-2014 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi this seems like a good place to ask so here goes: a family member is travelling over from Ireland to where I live (England) soon with his horses, and has room to bring one over for me too. I am planning a trip over to look but want to get some lined up first. Are there any good websites or facebook pages where people advertise horses in Ireland? I have looked at donedeal but wondered if there are any others? I am looking for an irish cob/ connemara type horse that is cheap (cheaper than in england anyway, nice connemaras here are thousands!)

Would rather it was a private seller than a dealer also, as I am happy to arrange my own vetting and also have transport covered. I am wary of dealers whacking their prices up because I'm from england!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

goresbridge horse sales have very good info on horses online now. That would be a good place to start. donedeal also but careful on there.

mod edit: <snip>

I also know an agent who sources horses for clients abroad. She does legwork and narrows down selection for viewing. Again pm for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 roz84

cheers, i pm'd you

if you could pm me with things like that as i don't think its allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Hi OP, sites such as DoneDeal.ie have horses on them, as well as most equine web pages. Newspapers like The Irish Field and The Dealer will also have horses for sale in them. What horses are you looking for as in what will they be doing? How far within Ireland are you willing to travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Finglas or Ballymun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Guys, advertising of horses for sale is against the forum charter, so I've had to edit and delete a number of posts. Can we please refrain from posting similar posts again.

Also, can posters ensure that they only post helpful information.

Thanks.

Hootanany wrote: »
    Finglas or Ballymun.

:eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Do you want a pure Conemara or a cross? If you wanted a pure, then the Conemara breeders society would be a good place to start.
    For what purpose will the animal be used?

Thankyou, I don't mind pure or cross, a sensible temperament is the main thing I am after, I don't really intend to do showing however I do want a horse for the riding club and possibly hunting. I will take a look at the breeders societies!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Good riding club horses are like gold dust!They often get passed on by word of mouth. Goresbridge and Cavan sales would be worth keeping an eye on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Miller1979

mod edit: <snip> If you would like a link to the website Miller1979 posted, can you please PM them for the link. Thanks.

Best of luck with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Good riding club horses are like gold dust!They often get passed on by word of mouth. Goresbridge and Cavan sales would be worth keeping an eye on.

:confused:
    Surely a 'good riding club horse' is just your average horse?

Plenty of those, and good ones two, the market is seriously poor.

Rips wrote: »
    :confused:
    Surely a 'good riding club horse' is just your average horse?

Plenty of those, and good ones two, the market is seriously poor.
    Not really, you are talking about horses for adults, many of whom have not ridden as children or since being children.The horse has to be fairly bombproof, not a plod but with some form of brakes, able to turn a hoof to everything from hunting to dressage and be able to jump a coloured pole too and possibly do a bit of showing. The riding club market doesn't have too many people with different horses for different jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Not really, you are talking about horses for adults, many of whom have not ridden as children or since being children.The horse has to be fairly bombproof, not a plod but with some form of brakes, able to turn a hoof to everything from hunting to dressage and be able to jump a coloured pole too and possibly do a bit of showing. The riding club market doesn't have too many people with different horses for different jobs.

Sounds fairly average to me.

Friend who works in export been to see 3 today. Straight off donedeal.
    Private owners, 2 of the 3 were as described. Green books and good breeding too. 15-16h, 6-8yrs, records or photos of low level competition. Perfect on the roads and 100% quirk free (or else she wouldn't be interested)

1800k - 2700k.

As far as low level showing goes, that's about as random as it gets. Often depends on who you know! Any other level of showing and you need a certain type of horse for your chosen class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Just curious Rips because you seem to have a good handle on the market- what would you ask for a 8 year old 15.2 gelding with a green book, SJ form up to 1.10m for a young rider including wins against the clock? Lightly hunted and open hunter trials at 1m also and pony club cross country, tetrathlon etc. Average flatwork so wouldn't be an eventing proposition really. Not a showing type either.

Advertisement