Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Forces Recruitment 2015 **Update!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

Kirm2 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for that reply, it's a relief to know it's not the end if I put it down on the form - I hope the rules are the same for the PDF too!

So are your allergies current and did you put that down too?

The rules are the same all around now I think, I'm hearing the RDF training's also being increased and becoming more professional and better equipped. During my Medical we were also told the reservists would be deployed overseas along with the PDF in a two or three years.

For the allergies, I put dust and hay fever down on the questionaire but was given the all clear when asked about it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

What's the dress code for the day of the medical, is it casual i.e jeans and a t-shirt kind of job?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Irishboy!

rizzee wrote: »
    What's the dress code for the day of the medical, is it casual i.e jeans and a t-shirt kind of job?

When I wen for my medical I wore a suit and most the guys there were also in suits!!

Irishboy! wrote: »
    When I wen for my medical I wore a suit and most the guys there were also in suits!!

Oh really.. That's very formal for a medical!! Knowing my luck I'd be the only person wearing a suit :pac: thanks

During mine everyone showed up in casual dress. I felt going in a suit might slow things. All the email asked for was to be clean shaven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

Irishboy! wrote: »

Can you briefly talk us through the process? What exactly was checked?

+1 on TheAlkalines question.

Think I'll go with the jeans, good point yeah, unlike asking for formal wear at the interview it says nothing about clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

Garzard wrote: »
    The rules are the same all around now I think, I'm hearing the RDF training's also being increased and becoming more professional and better equipped. During my Medical we were also told the reservists would be deployed overseas along with the PDF in a two or three years.

There is no way in hell an RDF man will be going overseas so forget that notion before you start. You can't compare like with like, a pte/NCO/officer in the RDF is not the same as the PDF equivalent, and never will be, that's from an RDF man. Expect to be used in loads of exercises and other bits and bobs but overseas no chance.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow. Hopefully won't be there too long. I'm getting hungry now haha damn fasting.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow. Hopefully won't be there too long. I'm getting hungry now haha damn fasting.

Tell us how was it!

• Advertisement

I will of course! In here now nice and early, a 2nd lad arrived shortly after me. Hoping it goes in order!! Will be back on soon afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭1moo345

Is the Waterford Army pdf now based in Kilkenny does anyone know? I know the tests etc are being held there, but I am unsure if they have actually moved it there?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kirm2

I will of course! In here now nice and early, a 2nd lad arrived shortly after me. Hoping it goes in order!! Will be back on soon afterwards

How did it go Rizzee and how long did it take?

Kirm2 wrote: »
    How did it go Rizzee and how long did it take?

Where did everyone go???? Any reports?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

1moo345 wrote: »
    Is the Waterford Army pdf now based in Kilkenny does anyone know? I know the tests etc are being held there, but I am unsure if they have actually moved it there?

thanks

They army reserve are still present in the barracks in Waterford, I'm from Waterford myself, I applied for the naval service reserve in waterford.

Has anyone had to be retested for vision? Have to go back next Wednesday, they said I barely passed that my glasses aren't strong enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭brennan10

Medical done and passed...just to get the samples cleared. Said should know in a week. Also there won't be any psycho metric tests as medical is the last hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭1moo345

They army reserve are still present in the barracks in Waterford, I'm from Waterford myself, I applied for the naval service reserve in waterford.

I applied for the army reserve. Are your tests in kilkenny aswell or waterford??

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Outdoors Junkie

Hello everyone, I've been following this thread for a while and I thought I would share my latest RDF recruitment progress. I had my Medical Examination for the RDF at Collins Barracks, Cork, on 29th May 2014 at 0800hrs. I passed all the checks on the day but I'm still waiting for the blood and urine sample results. I understand that the recruitment process can take time but it's been nearly three weeks since my medical and I've had no emails from the barracks. I wasn't told how long I'd have to wait until I'd hear back from them, so I'd be interested to know If anyone else is in my shoes or If your only doing your medicals now?

Have to go back next Friday for hearing test again. Thought I did grand, obviously not.... Got a "25" in one if the scores. Doctor was a stubborn fooker. Ah well. Here's hoping.

Sorry haven't wrote back sooner I'm down the country back Saturday. Hope everyone got in well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

is it mandatory I know my blood type before my medical ?

is it mandatory I know my blood type before my medical ?

I don't think so. I know my blood type and I had brought proof with me on the day of my medical but when I asked the Doc about it he said it doesn't matter until the blood and urine results are back.

The review of Medical:

It's a few hour waiting process, all the test won't take more than an hour to complete.

1. Urine samples are Taken.
    2. Blood Pressure is Checked
    3. 5(?) Blood Samples are Taken.
    4. BMI is Measured.
    5. Hearing Test is Done.
    6. Lung Capacity is Checked.
    7. ECG is Done.
    8. Vision Test w/ Colorblindness is Done.

Blood tests also checks you for Drugs, Hepatitis and HIV (You have a right not to consent for HIV).
    And fun fact: It costs government around €1000 per person to carry out the medical.

Also a handy tip, once you have your last test done wait around the place to see the doctor. Due to misunderstanding I left early and I have to come back tomorrow..

I bet you weren't the only one to miss having the chat with the doctor at the end but it must be annoying having to travel back for the sake of 5 mins but at least you don't have to resit any tests! Good day yesterday' it was....

Hello everyone, I've been following this thread for a while and I thought I would share my latest RDF recruitment progress. I had my Medical Examination for the RDF at Collins Barracks, Cork, on 29th May 2014 at 0800hrs. I passed all the checks on the day but I'm still waiting for the blood and urine sample results. I understand that the recruitment process can take time but it's been nearly three weeks since my medical and I've had no emails from the barracks. I wasn't told how long I'd have to wait until I'd hear back from them, so I'd be interested to know If anyone else is in my shoes or If your only doing your medicals now?

My Medical was on June 3rd and was told we'd be gotten back to within 2 weeks after, it's been nearly 3 weeks now without a response.

Garzard wrote: »
    My Medical was on June 3rd and was told we'd be gotten back to within 2 weeks after, it's been nearly 3 weeks now without a response.

Your medical must have been on the first week of them doing them because yesterday they said that I should know next week as thats the last week for tests apparently so perhaps something to do with that.

brennan10 wrote: »
    Your medical must have been on the first week of them doing them because yesterday they said that I should know next week as thats the last week for tests apparently so perhaps something to do with that.

That's reassuring to know. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

The review of Medical:

It's a few hour waiting process, all the test won't take more than an hour to complete.

1. Urine samples are Taken.
    2. Blood Pressure is Checked
    3. 5(?) Blood Samples are Taken.
    4. BMI is Measured.
    5. Hearing Test is Done.
    6. Lung Capacity is Checked.
    7. ECG is Done.
    8. Vision Test w/ Colorblindness is Done.

Blood tests also checks you for Drugs, Hepatitis and HIV (You have a right not to consent for HIV).
    And fun fact: It costs government around €1000 per person to carry out the medical.

Also a handy tip, once you have your last test done wait around the place to see the doctor. Due to misunderstanding I left early and I have to come back tomorrow..

If (ahem) a person had occasionally - every now and then - smoked something at a party/what have you, would this be picked up on in the blood/urine tests?

Does anyone here know of a person getting turned away because of a small, residual amount of...say...cannabis in their system.

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    If (ahem) a person had occasionally - every now and then - smoked something at a party/what have you, would this be picked up on in the blood/urine tests?

Does anyone here know of a person getting turned away because of a small, residual amount of...say...cannabis in their system.

If your sample turns positive for the substance in question you will most likely fail the medical examination but there may may be a chance to reapply in September if they recruit again. Contrary to popular belief in doesn't stay detectable in your system for very long even with the best drug test equipment, at least for the type of tests they are doing. In any case I wouldn't recommend using it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭JB400

Is the BMI test just a weighing scales and height test, or is it with calipers???

Advertisement