Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Forces Recruitment 2015 **Update!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭JB400

In your first email after the interview under "PLEASE BRING:"

This also includes:

A printed copy of this email.

Blood Donor card or evidence of your blood group if you have it.

Glasses/ contact lenses if they are prescribed to you.

Snack/lunch and a drink.

And in separate email you should have an army medical questionnaire, that you need to print and fill out.

Hope that helps.

I never got a second email..all mine told me to bring was the email, pps number, doctors address and any medical forms you want considered..

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Outdoors Junkie

TheStig13 wrote: »
    What's the colour blindness test like?

It's a very quick and simple test, you look through the eye lenses on the eye test machine at a screen with 4 or 5 shapes with numbers in them( with a trick one thrown in). When asked, you call out the number you can see in each shape to the man or woman who is testing you. And that's it for your colour blindness test.

Best of luck with the medical!

JB400 wrote: »
    I never got a second email..all mine told me to bring was the email, pps number, doctors address and any medical forms you want considered..

That may be just down to different barracks = different system.
    For example I applied to Collins Barracks and they may do things slightly differently to Cathal Brugha Barracks.
    As long as you bring everything your barracks has asked you to bring you should be fine.
    Just remember to turn up 5 - 10 mins early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

Hopefully they'll start sending out the next round of emails this week.

Garzard wrote: »
    Hopefully they'll start sending out the next round of emails this week.

I should hope so!

I don't mind waiting a week or two but a month with no email updates from the barracks is a very long time to carry out some simple but expensive Blood and Urine tests.

They've either stock piled them and kept them lying around until all the medicals are finished, so they can just send one big batch off or they all ready have most of the results but their just waiting for the rest to finish.

Do you know if they test the samples in Ireland or elsewhere, because I heard someone say they send them off to a lab in the Uk?

• Advertisement

I should hope so!

I don't mind waiting a week or two but a month with no email updates from the barracks is a very long time to carry out some simple but expensive Blood and Urine tests.

They've either stock piled them and kept them lying around until all the medicals are finished, so they can just send one big batch off or they all ready have most of the results but their just waiting for the rest to finish.

Do you know if they test the samples in Ireland or elsewhere, because I heard someone say they send them off to a lab in the Uk?

It has been a painfully long and slow wait alright, and the vetting, not sure when they were sent out but my Fitness Test was on April 13th, same day I filled the GV form out and were told it'd be 3 months before they'd be sorted.

We weren't actually told where the samples are brought, it's anyone's guess really. I'd imagine to keep costs down they're kept and tested in Ireland. I'm more concerned how soon they're back really, hopefully brennan10 is right about the Medicals finishing off this week and we'll all be informed of the outcome soon enough.

Does anyone know what the current issue kit and clothing is for the RDF after you have been attested?

I've heard you get the lattest issued 1 x DPM Barrack Jacket, 1 x DPM Smock, 2 x DPM Shirts, 1 x DPM Trousers, RDF Beret, DPM Boonie, 1 x Green Fleece 1 x boots.

But I'm not sure about things like assault vests, webbing, elbow and knee pads, helmets, helmet covers, camelbaks, Rucksacks/ Daypacks, sleeping bags, DPM Bashas, cooking / survival equipment and PT gear etc.

I understand that most if not all the time in the past the PDF have had first pick with new issue kit so I'm not expecting anything but things may be different now with the new single force concept and making the RDF more professional.

If anyone has any insight into this I'd be very interested to know and on another topic I found a UK based site called 'GBF Militaria' illegally selling a load of current Irish Army gear but I suppose irish military law has it's limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

Does anyone know what the current issue kit and clothing is for the RDF after you have been attested?

I've heard you get the lattest issued 1 x DPM Barrack Jacket, 1 x DPM Smock, 2 x DPM Shirts, 1 x DPM Trousers, RDF Beret, DPM Boonie, 1 x Green Fleece 1 x boots.

Barrack Jacket isn't on the scale of issue for RDF, neither are boonies. I wouldn't have high hopes for getting a fleece either.

You'll get a beret, 2 t-shirts, 2 shirts, 1 smock, 1/2 trousers, you should get a pair of socks if they still give out socks, and a pair of boots unless you have a common size in which case you'll be given a size up or down. :pac:

But I'm not sure about things like assault vests, webbing, elbow and knee pads, helmets, helmet covers, camelbaks, Rucksacks/ Daypacks, sleeping bags, DPM Bashas, cooking / survival equipment and PT gear etc.

Helmets, daysacks, battlevest, sleeping bag and poncho are pooled items. You'll sign for them as needed and return them at the end of the competition/exercise.

Hydration system, knee pads, elbow pads are out of your own pocket.
    PT Gear??? Ah would you give over, what do you think this is?

I understand that most if not all the time in the past the PDF have had first pick with new issue kit so I'm not expecting anything but things may be different now with the new single force concept and making the RDF more professional.

Of course all that said, maybe I'm just an auld cantankerous sort who remembers the old days and the SFC will actually work. :D

Did the medical yesterday, all passed bar the hearing test..have to go back next tuesday and repeat it.... did this happen anyone else??? If so any advice to make sure i get by it next time??? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kirm2

Did the medical yesterday, all passed bar the hearing test..have to go back next tuesday and repeat it.... did this happen anyone else??? If so any advice to make sure i get by it next time??? Cheers

One of the other lads posted that the doc gave him the tip of pressing the earphones onto the ears. I just stayed away from loud noises and didn't listen to any music for two days prior to the test.

Hope it goes well for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

have mine tomorrow, regret having to drive to haulbowline from waterford though, but sure I bet it will be all worth in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Same as myself, have my repeat Friday afternoon, will only be getting back from hols tomorrow afternoon... Will just relax for the day and try to avoid loud noises, hoping it'll go grand

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Still waiting to hear back, wish they'd let me know soon!

rizzee wrote: »
    Same as myself, have my repeat Friday afternoon, will only be getting back from hols tomorrow afternoon... Will just relax for the day and try to avoid loud noises, hoping it'll go grand

Its a pain alright!! Failed mine marginally, although i did a skydive two days before so that didnt help...the private who was overseeing us told us to bite our tongues to take your mind off your heartbeat....but that didnt really work...fingers crossed anyway...

I failed my medical now I'm so disappointed .I sent my application to the rdf in april of last year and was eager to get stuck in. Really was intrigued and excited about joining and I really thought that things were going well. Now I just feel like an absolute eegit , but I guess I would of been a bigger one if I didn't try at least.I was surprised to pass the fitness exam and the interview, I was told that the medical would be not a bother by members of the nrsr, but I guess things have really changed gear.

I wish the best of luck to all those approaching the final stages of recruitment. I'm sure the RDF will be come a more integrated professional , and dedicated organisation who's members will wear the badge of Óglaigh na hÉireann with Honor and valour. Have fun guys !

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Irishboy!

I failed my medical now I'm so disappointed .I sent my application to the rdf in april of last year and was eager to get stuck in. Really was intrigued and excited about joining and I really thought that things were going well. Now I just feel like an absolute eegit , but I guess I would of been a bigger one if I didn't try at least.I was surprised to pass the fitness exam and the interview, I was told that the medical would be not a bother by members of the nrsr, but I guess things have really changed gear.

I wish the best of luck to all those approaching the final stages of recruitment. I'm sure the RDF will be come a more integrated professional , and dedicated organisation who's members will wear the badge of Óglaigh na hÉireann with Honor and valour. Have fun guys !

what was it you failed on?

Irishboy! wrote: »
    what was it you failed on?

my ears, I could hear everything perfect on the right ear ! but on the second i just heard to faint beeps. I done the test at least 7 times .

my ears, I could hear everything perfect on the right ear ! but on the second i just heard to faint beeps. I done the test at least 7 times .

Sorry to hear.

Hmm I just got an email there to come to my repeat on the 30th at 9am... So looks like I won't be going anywhere today ..

I've a bloody gig Saturday night!

Hmm I just got an email there to come to my repeat on the 30th at 9am... So looks like I won't be going anywhere today ..

I've a bloody gig Saturday night!
    they emailed you about the hearing test?? I was told to just come back in a week in the afternoon...

• Advertisement

they emailed you about the hearing test?? I was told to just come back in a week in the afternoon...

Yep:
    rdf wrote:
    Dear Liam,

Can you please return to St Bricins Hospital on Mon 3Oth June at 09.00hrs for your repeat as you were told by the Medical Personnel Whom carried out your medical exam. Failure to report to St Bricins will result in your application been withdrawn from the competition and therefore you will no longer be eligibile to join the RDF.

Regards,

Manpower Office
    2 Bde
    Cathal Brugha Bks
    Rathmines

That's what they sent. I was thinking saying it in person to come back at such and such a time was a bit informal. Glad I got the email.

Garzard wrote: »
    Sorry to hear.

Hahaha yeah quite literally ,

Yep:

That's what they sent. I was thinking saying it in person to come back at such and such a time was a bit informal. Glad I got the email.

haha thats what I was thinking!! Very informal..in the end they just said anytime in the afternoon.. i'll keep an eye out for an email so

Hahaha yeah quite literally ,

Apologies, didn't notice the pun! :o Any chance at all you can reapply in September / next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I'm gutted for ya man. I've been there, getting rejected from the DF because of a medical failure. I was reading your posts in After Hours and recognised yer name from the mil forum, was hoping you'd get in. **** it man, there's more to life than the military. There's the Gardai, Fire Brigade, Paramedics, Nursing, Teaching - all pretty good jobs that you can still consider a service, put your 100% into, graft hard and know you are doing the public good. Best of luck.

discus wrote: »
    I'm gutted for ya man. I've been there, getting rejected from the DF because of a medical failure. I was reading your posts in After Hours and recognised yer name from the mil forum, was hoping you'd get in. **** it man, there's more to life than the military. There's the Gardai, Fire Brigade, Paramedics, Nursing, Teaching - all pretty good jobs that you can still consider a service, put your 100% into, graft hard and know you are doing the public good. Best of luck.

Hey thanks , I'm pretty fine though, and genuinely hopeful for the future of the RDF. I wish they could of doing the medicals first though rather than the third stage because I at least then I would know straight off the bat that I would be illegible to join, rather then me wasting petrol money and time.But nonetheless glad I tried and the military personnel could not have been nicer to be.I do some volunteering so I think I can focus more on that now.

Good luck to everyone in the coming days with repeats etc. I'm in in the morning for the hearing test again. Was at a gig last night but stayed near the back and I didn't listen to radio or tv today, was relatively quiet so i'm hoping it goes better than the first time! Feeling good, fingers crossed.

Best of luck man...don't be afraid to throw in a few extra clicks here and there...:)

Thanks man. Here now waiting. Only 3 others here, should be quick! :)

• Advertisement

Sure give us a shout when you're out...

Advertisement