Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Forces Recruitment 2015 **Update!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Back in Wednesday morning... 3rd time feckin lucky!!

Getting a H2 grade it's just the very lowest pitch/ highest decibel noise (8000 if i remember correctly) on my left ear... One poxy noise everything else was perfect.

Had the headphones pushed up against me too but I just think I'm hearing things sometimes :pac: Going to take it very easy today and tomorrow. 3 other people there today, two for hearing, two for eye test. The other lad for the hearing and one of the eye tests were told they passed, while me and the other person had to wait around an hour to be told to come back!! Pain in the hole.....

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭JB400

That sucks man...did they just let you try the hearing test once or a few times?? Did you guess at all??

One chance today. Nope didn't risk it... just clicked the button when I definitely heard a noise.. it was a complete random pattern as well in terms of the timing going from one frequency to the next, i think they play each one twice and then it moves on to the next one??

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

rizzee wrote: »
    One chance today. Nope didn't risk it... just clicked the button when I definitely heard a noise.. it was a complete random pattern as well in terms of the timing going from one frequency to the next, i think they play each one twice and then it moves on to the next one??

I don't know - Been doing hearing tests for years and always got H1 and I always pressed the button even when I wasn't sure.

Yes, there are some that you are sure are a one, then the tone starts to get fainter and fainter until you are not so sure anymore. But I still hit the button. Only when I was sure I didn't hear a tone did I not press the button.

I'm not saying that I kept pressing the button over and over again (seemingly the computer cops that and stops the programme until you stop pressing constantly) but if I thought I heard something, then I would press the button - not just when I definitely heard something.

Thanks for the tip. I keep thinking in my head that i'm hearing things and then don't click the button . Maybe that's why. Quiet day tomorrow going to get ear drops and ear plugs in the morning and take it easy... will let you know how I get on Wednesday :) In the meantime any more tips etc feel free to share :p

• Advertisement

In today after lunch...so if i think i hear a sound I'll click ..not leaving that hospital with a H1 result...:)

JB400 wrote: »
    In today after lunch...so if i think i hear a sound I'll click ..not leaving that hospital with a H1 result...:)

You mean without a H1 result ;) Best of luck dude. Be grand!! :D

Haha yeah without...just out now...and i think i got the H1...just have to wait for a doctor to see it now..but i could see from the chart i was over the min line...

Haha yeah without...just out now...and i think i got the H1...just have to wait for a doctor to see it now..but i could see from the chart i was over the min line...

Well done :)

Here now waiting hopefully all goes to plan. Threw the ear oils in and had a good sleep. Now to beat the **** out of that button :pac:

Yeah seriously do...if you even think you hear sometime then click...best of luck

• Advertisement

Was out at about 9.10am haha... H1 :) few extra clicks on the button did the trick. Delighted!

Fairplay ..its a relief when its over and passed...did he say anything about being called if theres a problem??

Fairplay ..its a relief when its over and passed...did he say anything about being called if theres a problem??

Thanks!

Nothing at all, the doctor printed it off and said he'll send it straight up to the head doctor and said I could go home that's all. Just wait on an email now I presume :/

That was the corporal doing the test who said that??yeah havent done bloods or urine yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Been waiting nearly a month for the medical, hope I hear back soon! Dying to know if I passed or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

I'm mainly worried about the start of the training - I unfortunately failed one of my college exams and have the repeat sometime in mid-August and just hope it doesn't end up conflicting with the training date.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

Garzard wrote: »
    I'm mainly worried about the start of the training - I unfortunately failed one of my college exams and have the repeat sometime in mid-August and just hope it doesn't end up conflicting with the training date.

I failed few of my exams as well and I got the same Issue, I hope that there will be few different trainings and I will be able to transfer to the one that won't conflict.

I failed few of my exams as well and I got the same Issue, I hope that there will be few different trainings and I will be able to transfer to the one that won't conflict.

I'm assuming they have these things planned out so as to try and somewhat fit around college. I can't speak for anyone else but for myself they did generously allow an interview reschedule due to other college tests and my Medical was also scheduled for immediately after the end of my main exams, at the same time one other lad there was starting his LC the next morning. Possibly just coincidence. I'll get in touch with the Recruitment Office during the week, explain my situation and look for dates.

The last 10 days of August I'll be abroad, I already told them it at the interview stage and they said it won't be a problem if there was plans made they can't change them

Do we know if RDF recruits will be living in the barracks during the training or will it be part time [eg. in and out throughout the week] for want of a better word? Just with people working, doing exams and starting back at college in August - September? Also interested in knowing the length of training, seeing the whole new structuring and aiming to make the RDF more professional. Great to hear this if true.

• Advertisement

Garzard wrote: »
    Do we know if RDF recruits will be living in the barracks during the training or will it be part time [eg. in and out throughout the week] for want of a better word? Just with people working, doing exams and starting back at college in August - September? Also interested in knowing the length of training, seeing the whole new structuring and aiming to make the RDF more professional. Great to hear this if true.

Do you mean during the 2 week 'camps' in the Summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Fiachra17

Camp is camp, man, you'll be staying for two weeks. And I beliebe it starts around the beginning of August. Should be a bit of craic :)

Do you mean during the 2 week 'camps' in the Summer?

As in the basic training of recruits after selection.

If it's the Curragh training I'd presume we're staying, no way am I travelling up and back each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

All training will involve you staying in the Barracks throughout the duration of training. There is rarely any leave given except in very special occasions. Even if you were living right next door to a barracks, you wouldn't be able to stay outside the barracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Irishboy!

Anyone any idea of a start date yet?

Irishboy! wrote: »
    Anyone any idea of a start date yet?

Beginning of August

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Fiachra17

Doctor14 wrote: »
    All training will involve you staying in the Barracks throughout the duration of training. There is rarely any leave given except in very special occasions.

Except for Mass on Sunday and pub in the evenings, that's about it

Beginning of August

Is that a definite? I'm away first week of August and last 2 weeks haha kinda fecked.. At least I told them I wasn't around.

• Advertisement

Is that a definite? I'm away first week of August and last 2 weeks haha kinda fecked.. At least I told them I wasn't around.

Well, I dont know. Thats what I was told, they are planning on getting it started at the beginning of August. I have repeats in college so I might not be able to do it myself.

Advertisement