Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Forces Recruitment 2015 **Update!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

Well, I dont know. Thats what I was told, they are planning on getting it started at the beginning of August. I have repeats in college so I might not be able to do it myself.

I have myself but considering it's only one repeat and an extremely vital one at that [if I miss it or fail it I'll be knocked out of my course] I'll hopefully be able to negotiate with the barracks a few hours off to get it done, if in fact the training does begin around then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

Fiachra17 wrote: »
    Except for Mass on Sunday and pub in the evenings, that's about it

For weekends Recruits will be in on a Friday night and released on a Sunday with no leave unless exceptional circumstances.

Regarding the pub, recruits will not be near it until the last night of their training and are not allowed alcohol no matter what age they are. Training will go from 0700-2000 and possibly up to 2300, depending on the platoon commander, with a guaranteed amount of sleepy time given.

The days if going on the lash are gone thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

Fiachra17 wrote: »
    Except for Mass on Sunday and pub in the evenings, that's about it

Pubs in the evening??? That hasn't happened in a LONG LONG time. Recruit training is dry training - last recruit training I was on, recruits weren't even allowed into the mess in the evening for minerals.

As for training starting in August - I doubt it. There are a number of weekends that have to be done first - I reckon FTT won't start until Sept at the earliest but that is just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭JB400

Does anyone else still have to do blood and urine tests??

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭brennan10

JB400 wrote: »

Done those tests 3 weeks ago. The doc on the day said then that they had 1 week left to do so thought the tests were wrapped up around 2 weeks ago...other lads on this have done the test even earlier than mine and still waiting on results...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

I'd ring them up ASAP and find out. Thought everything was finished...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

I'd have to agree with Doc14. If there is still medicals going on then you won't have the hours done to go on your recruit camp. At an educated guess from my own experiences I'd say it will be a "Winter Camp" on and around the mid-term / October Bank holiday.

You might be let into the mess for a yellow snack, bag of cheese and onion and can of 7-up on the last night. You will be far to busy ironing uniforms, cleaning boots, taking part in optional mandatory activities and wanting to sleep to go drinking anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭JB400

I did the medical but on the day i was there ,there was no technician there ...they said they'd e-mail us to tell us when to come in again but i heard nothing since...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Doctor14 wrote: »
    There are a number of weekends that have to be done first - I reckon FTT won't start until Sept at the earliest but that is just my opinion.

2 week recruit training is running in August - I haven't heard how the training allocated for the prep-weekends is going to happen. I am assuming the basics of drill, admin etc are now going to be done on the FTT and the tactical training and ranges done afterwards over weekends in Sept/Oct.

I did the medical but on the day i was there ,there was no technician there ...they said they'd e-mail us to tell us when to come in again but i heard nothing since...

Did you get in touch with them/any update?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

2 week recruit training is running in August - I haven't heard how the training allocated for the prep-weekends is going to happen
    depends on the units assigned and the dates ...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭twinydavid

The waiting...........we better got a few weeks notice to sort time off work, not just the week before.

The waiting...........we better got a few weeks notice to sort time off work, not just the week before.
    there will be a lot of different dates going around .

trellheim wrote: »
    there will be a lot of different dates going around .

Its a joke. The doctor told me a month ago that my bloods and urine sample were all fine. Im sure everybody elses samples were tested just as fast. Even an email to see if we're all still alive would be welcome at this stage.

twinydavid wrote: »
    Its a joke. The doctor told me a month ago that my bloods and urine sample were all fine. Im sure everybody elses samples were tested just as fast. Even an email to see if we're all still alive would be welcome at this stage.

How did you find out that quick about the results?

rizzee wrote: »
    How did you find out that quick about the results?

When i went for my repeat hearing test a week after the original when i had to meet with the doctor again he told me all my bloods were back and everyting was fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

Agreed, by this stage the wait is driving me insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

The long wait could be down to Garda Clearance being processed (speculation). While normal vetting takes about 2 weeks, the RDF is WAY down the priority list and can take a while. Back in the bad old days, it took 6 months minimum.

Also, the wait may be good for the RDF - if you have lasted this long and haven't given up, then you might be able to stick the RDF. I've seen too many people come in, take a valuable place on recruit training, and quit within the first few days. I once saw a guy last less than 24 hours.... on a weekend!!! In the bad old days, there was maybe 1 or 2 places per company per year and so many of these precious places were wasted on people who, as soon as you saw them, you knew they wouldn't last 5 mins.

The delay may be pissing people off, but that is what the RDF is about, hurry up and wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Doctor14 wrote: »
    Also, the wait may be good for the RDF - if you have lasted this long and haven't given up, then you might be able to stick the RDF. I've seen too many people come in, take a valuable place on recruit training, and quit within the first few days. I once saw a guy last less than 24 hours.... on a weekend!!! In the bad old days, there was maybe 1 or 2 places per company per year and so many of these precious places were wasted on people who, as soon as you saw them, you knew they wouldn't last 5 mins.

Agreed. Given the amount of deadwood I saw in the RDF, people willing to stick with it this long should be a welcome addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Irishboy!

Anyone hear anything yet? my friend that applied to the curragh got an email today that hes starting in august

• Advertisement

Irishboy! wrote: »
    Anyone hear anything yet? my friend that applied to the curragh got an email today that hes starting in august

Dublins always a bit behind. Is it straight to 2 weeks full time training?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Fiachra17

twinydavid wrote: »
    When i went for my repeat hearing test a week after the original when i had to meet with the doctor again he told me all my bloods were back and everyting was fine

Exact same here, the doctor stamped all the forms and signed me off as physically fit, or whatever it was. They're awful slow, aren't they ? :') But come on, lads, this is Ireland after all :D

Just got my offer today. Heading to the barracks next Saturday for the attestation. Delighted!

For those of you who heard back, well done!

Really hope they'll take into consideration people who have exams and have booked holidays etc. That's the only thing i'm worried about. I won't be here for 18 days next month so realistically I wouldn't be able to do the camp if it's in August alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Outdoors Junkie

Lockstep wrote: »
    Just got my offer today. Heading to the barracks next Saturday for the attestation. Delighted!

Great news! I just got my email today as well and I have my attestation on the same Saturday. It's good to finally hear from them after waiting over a months time.

Hopefully others will also hear from them soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kirm2

Great news! I just got my email today as well and I have my attestation on the same Saturday. It's good to finally hear from them after waiting over a months time.

Still nothing here, I hope to god it's not going to be another 2015 panel job for me. Pity all the emails don't go out at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Irishboy!

Im in Saturday too, also heard that two weeks training is starting either the 8th or 9th of August, down in Kilworth

Timings are different depending where you are in the country. Please give the general location you will be joining to help out here.

Yeah, according to one of my friends in the RDF, it'll be in Kilworth on the 9th August for the Southern Brigade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kirm2

Anyone from Cathal Brugha get anything?

Advertisement