Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Forces Recruitment 2015 **Update!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

Garzard wrote: »
    Just on this topic, earlier on in the thread I mentioned having a college repeat and only received the date this week [scheduled for morning of August 19th]. Would they be reluctant to let myself and others in similar situations off training for a few hours to do the repeat or even completely refuse? Just in case both do end up conflicting?

In those circumstances, I would give you leave....but you will have to wait and see what your training unit will say. Leave will usually be given in certain circumstances, it is up to your training unit to decide what those circumstances are. They are the only ones who will decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Doctor14 wrote: »
    In those circumstances, I would give you leave....but you will have to wait and see what your training unit will say. Leave will usually be given in certain circumstances, it is up to your training unit to decide what those circumstances are. They are the only ones who will decide.

Do you think it would it be the same story if a holiday is already booked?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 theJED102

rizzee wrote: »
    Do you think it would it be the same story if a holiday is already booked?

You probably just won't be able to attend camp then I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 theJED102

Doctor14 wrote: »
    Not sure of this one but I believe it will be barracks based - all units based or HQed in a barracks will be trained in that barracks....but I believe that this has not been decided yet.

Most of your off time will be spent cleaning rooms, ironing uniforms etc. Sleep will be at a premium so you will want to grab some when you can. There used to be sports events but nowadays there is so little time available that every hour is needed to try and finish the training. If you are on FTT and they give you "time off" or have sports events, it means that something is not being done that needs to be done and you are missing out on some training that you will need in the future.

Leave will be granted in certain circumstances, Leaving Cert results is usually one of those circumstances. But forget about getting a weekend off, getting your results, having a mad weekend of drinking and crawling back into the barracks on a monday morning. If you are VERY lucky, you will be left off at 6pm to be back next morning. If you need to collect your result in an afternoon, you will get a few hours. Anything you miss will need to be covered in your own free time.

Dress code for Attestation...long time since I did it. But normally it would be smart - shirt and tie. But not 100% sure.

Thanks for replying, called the barracks to clarify some questions.

There will be initial induction training on weekends with your company and then two weeks camp i.e. in gormanstown, glen of Imaal, Kilworth etc. Although its not clear if it will be done by brigade battalion or company.

For those worried about dress code for attestation its regular civis so jeans or a tracksuit (was recommended to me).

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

Does anybody know that in case we are allowed to leave the barracks during the training (for certain circumstances), are we going to be allowed to wear our civ clothes or we will need to stay in the full uniform?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Generally Recruits are not allowed out, if you are then in civvies.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭twinydavid

Anybody do there attestation yesterday? How did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tom.737

still didn't get an email yet, done the medical and passed it but our bloods and urine weren't taken as the lab was 'closed'. They said they'd email us to get them taken about 6 weeks ago. So yeah, not a clue whats happening at all. Anyone get an email from the lads in Mullingar?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Outdoors Junkie

Just to let people on here know, I was attested last Saturday and I have already undergone part of the induction phase over the course of the weekend.

They have told us we should have are uniform by next week but no promises. From what I've heard and seen so far, I am very impressed by the standards the reserves set themselves and its an honour to be with them.

Just remember for the lads to be clean shaven- face and neck and have your hair cut to - a 3 or 4 blade on the back and sides and neat on top and don't wear a suit for your attestation, just wear something smart/casual like jeans, a shirt and comfortable smart shoes, as you may be doing foot drills in the afternoon like I was. Also remember to bring a small notepad and pen or pensil for taking notes and anything else your told to bring in the emails.

I am very happy to come this far and I hope the best for the other recruits on here as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Congratulations and welcome to the force. You'll need an army number now to get issued any uniforms so that should be coming along soon. You will always remember your Army Number. Always have a small notepad and a couple of biros ( one always goes dead )

( Pro Tip : you will be asked to produce same many many times and will be gicked if you have not one with you. Someone will always have forgotten. Don't be that guy. )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

I am still waiting to see if I passed my blood and urine tests, and to get a date for attestation. Going into CBB - CAV

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭brennan10

I am still waiting to see if I passed my blood and urine tests, and to get a date for attestation. Going into CBB - CAV

Same here....sure we done those tests the same day...can't be much longer now surely...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

brennan10 wrote: »
    Same here....sure we done those tests the same day...can't be much longer now surely...

It's been so long that I'm starting to think I haven't been selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭brennan10

It's been so long that I'm starting to think I haven't been selected.

Well by the looks of it collins barracks have started attestation so would think cathal brugha can't be far behind....sure it's basically August now something has to happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tom.737

Waiting for the email. Doing my head in to be honest. Can't plan anything in case its the same date as the camp. But I'm sure it'll be well worth it in the end!

Do they still email on Fridays or weekends?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭twinydavid

2 months waiting now. What a load of ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I've had my two training weekends so far. Heading off on the 2 weeks FTT soon enough.

Seems fairly interesting so far. Won't go into too much detail due to Restrictive etc etc. Training weekend was straightforward enough: introduction to military law, foot drill etc. Also a big focus on fitness with a fair bit of PT which was harder than the application fitness test (divided into different bands). Apparently from now on, RDF personnel will have to undergo annual fitness tests, similar to what the PDF do and will have to do a fitness test again during the FTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kirm2

Lockstep wrote: »
    I've had my two training weekends so far. Heading off on the 2 weeks FTT soon enough.

Seems fairly interesting so far. Mostly was straightforward enough: introduction to military law, foot drill etc. Also a big focus on fitness with a fair bit of PT which was harder than the application fitness test (divided into different bands). Apparently from now on, RDF personnel will have to undergo annual fitness tests, similar to what the PDF do and will have to do a fitness test again during the FTT.

Is that for Cork or Dublin?

Cork, I applied for the Southern Brigade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kirm2

Cork, I applied for the Southern Brigade.

Thanks very much for answering. I have a couple of further questions, have you been given your uniform yet? And secondly, and only if you are allowed to answer, what does PT involve?

We've been issued our uniform but won't be collecting it for a few more days. Not sure why. It's great kit though.

As for PT, the info is available on the internet so I doubt there's any issues in explaining it.
    Basically, you have to do your maximum amount of push ups and sit ups (in 60 seconds) as well as a 3km run and a 10km march.
    This is different from the initial fitness test as you're given a grade for your score rather than pass/fail and will have to reach a grade 4 (the minimum passing grade depending on your age).
    So if you're 17-29, you need to do something like 28 push ups, 26 sit ups (both in 60 seconds) and run 3 km (not 2.4 like the initial test was) in at least 15:30.
    You also have to do a 10km march while carrying at least 14kg of kit. IIRC, the aim is to do it under 90minutes or so. These are all for grade 4 though so you should be aiming a lot higher. The highest is a Grade 1 which is 54+ push ups for example.

It's important to note that these are bare minimums and you're meant to constantly aim to get a better grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mewt

twinydavid wrote: »
    2 months waiting now. What a load of ****e

When I first joined the RDF, I did 6 months training only to be told that my unit was only taking 5 people. Naturally they took the first past the post on garda vetting, people who had put in a bit earlier than us but decided not to attend parade nights, not the people who had turned up for training those few months.

So, I might suggest to you, if a little ''hurry up and wait'' with a dose of good old inefficiency gets you so worked up, you have joined the wrong organisation, and indeed the wrong line of work ^_O.

So the initial training is just on weekends?

So the initial training is just on weekends?

Two weekends away and then 2 weeks FTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Thanks for the detailed posts Lockstep. Really hope they get in contact soon. Am away 25th to 1st September so I'm hoping nothing will happen in between them dates, it would be typical...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭JB400

By the sounds of it some of ye lads are well underway...i think that'll be the only group who gets to do their two weeks training...i only did my blood and urine test last tuesday week..haha dont know when i'll hear from them...

Not exactly on topic but Gmail's been getting more and more unreliable by the day recently so I haven't been able to check the inbox for an RDF response as often as I'd like. It'll go several hours without working with the typical ''Page cannot be displayed'' with a random window of maybe 1/2 an hour will come up now and then. Anyone else having the same issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Irishboy!

Does anyone know how much were getting paid for the 2week camp??

• Advertisement

Recruits get €333 a week so €666 for the two, less USC etc.
    Make sure to sort out your tax credits before you go!

Advertisement