Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Forces Recruitment 2015 **Update!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Irishboy!

Lockstep wrote: »
    Recruits get €333 a week so €666 for the two, less USC etc.
    Make sure to sort out your tax credits before you go!

I was told that aswell yeah, what isit we actually need to do in tax office though? i work at moment so would i be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tom.737

Anyone apply to Mullingar? Gimme a private message, in bad need of info!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

It's important to note that these are bare minimums and you're meant to constantly aim to get a better grade.

What happens if you fail though? Or go under the Grade 4

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

What happens if you fail though? Or go under the Grade 4

Apparently Grade 5 is acceptable for this year only in order to allow RDF to get up to scratch. If you get below that, you get retested in a few weeks. Not sure what happens after that, presumably booted.

Irishboy! wrote: »
    I was told that aswell yeah, what isit we actually need to do in tax office though? i work at moment so would i be ok?

Basically head to the tax office and get your credits divvied up to prevent you being taxed. Maybe transfer all your tax credits to the RDF and then rechange them after camp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

Apparently Grade 5 is acceptable for this year only in order to allow RDF to get up to scratch. If you get below that, you get retested in a few weeks. Not sure what happens after that, presumably booted.

You will be given a few opportunities to pass and may be helped along with training programmes and reviews by an army PTI but in the end, you will be booted out for not passing.

Not that much harder than the induction test and a lot of people do very well at it. There will be training to help you achieve it and it is age based. It is not a hard test if you passed the induction test.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭brennan10

Just a tad of topic if anybody had any answer or opinions regarding employment while in the RDF? I work in the hospitaliy sector for a US based org and recently explained to my manager my intent of joining up. I told them of the process I went through to date to get their approval which I gladly got and wanted to let them know sooner before I get in hopefully. Basically what I'm wanting to find out is there any issues that recruits need to be aware off when it comes to employment while serving and can the defence force help in any way to protect your employment while on exercises/fft requirements? ? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

Just be aware of the short notice that tends to be given for things that are going on. The army won't protect your employment as there is no legislation in place in the country for taking time off for military service. The majority of people take their annual leave for FTT or unpaid leave depending on where they work or even if they work.

I find that plenty of notice does the trick though sometimes it just doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FlyingAnts

Anyone got any tips on what to bring on camp?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 theJED102

FlyingAnts wrote: »

-Lots of spare jocks and socks (enough so as to have a change twice a day)
    -Lots of sports gear
    -comfy civis for the evenings
    -flip flops for showers
    Don't bring bacon fries and lucazade as it attracts flying ants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 FlyingAnts

Thanks haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

Recruits get €333 a week so €666 for the two, less USC etc.

Handy!

brennan10 wrote: »
    can the defence force help in any way to protect your employment while on exercises/fft requirements? ? Thanks.

The important thing to note - the Army does not care about your civilian employment and they will do nothing to protect your employment. There is nothing in law to protect you either. Take it from me, your employment needs to take priority over the RDF - if you lose your job over the RDF, no one will protect you.
    FlyingAnts wrote: »
    There used to be a very good list of what to bring but it went by the wayside a long time ago

-Personal Hygiene products - towels/flipflops/stuff for shaving, showering, brushing teeth, nail clippers, etc. sunblock and toilet paper (really important). DO NOT bring an electric razor - I have yet to see one that will give you a close enough shave to pass inspection.
    -Boot polish & brushes
    -Socks, jocks and bottle green t-shirts (the army issue is nowhere near enough - The new DPM tshirt cannot be gotten anywhere else but there are still a good number of the bottle green one around for you to get away with it)
    -PT Gear
    -If you absolutely need them, bring medications but make sure they are over the counter stuff - the Army can spring a surprise inspection and ask a LOT of questions over any medications
    -a cheap and cheerful watch. Bring a mobile phone to keep in contact with home but DO NOT bring it with you during the day, only use it at night. Bring some money (cash) but not too much. Bring a set of locks, you might be lucky enough to get a locker with a latch for locks.
    -bring biros, notebooks, stationary etc.

Thanks for your advice regarding the employment question...it's funny thou what your told by privates during my time at medical when the discussion of outside employment came up. What we were lead to believe is that since it's a goverment job thereabouts that your protected from losing your civie job in the advent of fft etc. I understand that what was said was not offical by any means and a good pinch of salt is required but important topics like that shouldn't be said or taken lightly especially if those statements are wrong to begin with...

We got a list, telling us to bring the following:

Camo stick/camo paint
    Pocket mirror (for camo)
    Regular mirror (shaving etc)
    Foot powder
    PT gear
    Toiletries: shower gear, shaving gear, deodorant etc
    Toilet paper
    Cash: there won't be much to buy but there'll be the odd time out to the cinema and for minerals
    Civilian gear
    Boot polish gear
    Watch
    PT gear
    Towel
    Sleeping bag
    sun cream
    insect repellant
    2 padlocks for lockers
    Iron
    Notebook and pens
    water bottle

Iron

Seeing that there is weekends before, it might be a good idea for groups to arrange for people to bring an iron or 2, ironing boards, some cleaning materials for rooms & toilets (Detergents, rubber gloves etc.). The Army does provide some cleaning materials but it is minimalistic. You do far better at room inspections if you have better and more numerous cleaning materials.
    Works as a team and have the stuff ready - makes life easier especially when you are already under enough pressure - no need for everyone to bring an iron or mop.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kirm2

I've tried several times to phone Cathal Brugha to find out when the emails will go out but there's no answer, has anyone got through and found out when we'll get them??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Thanks for your advice regarding the employment question...it's funny thou what your told by privates during my time at medical when the discussion of outside employment came up. What we were lead to believe is that since it's a goverment job thereabouts that your protected from losing your civie job in the advent of fft etc. I understand that what was said was not offical by any means and a good pinch of salt is required but important topics like that shouldn't be said or taken lightly especially if those statements are wrong to begin with...

Doctor14 is completely correct. There is zero employment protection for reservists in this country, even for discrimination. Better not to mention it at work. Even if you are called to active service there is no protection.

trellheim wrote: »
    Doctor14 is completely correct. There is zero employment protection for reservists in this country, even for discrimination. Better not to mention it at work. Even if you are called to active service there is no protection.

Thanks man I really appreciate your advice....I wonder how many people that get in in turn find that having no protection as you said have to priortise something they have always wanted instead of the people who just throw in the towel just because it gets difficult...been apart of it should have some sort of legislation in terms of employment as it could be said your providing a valuable service for your country...here's hoping nobody has to encounter having to make such a difficult choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭LUKEG2411

Hi lads I was wondering if anyone here could offer me advice or information.

I got a email a few weeks ago offering me a place in the curragh RDF and I have to get back to them with my decision. My only problem is that induction starts at the end of August for us and I'm then back to college at the start of September. I had hoped it would have started much earlier so I could have got the camp done before I go back. Now assuming the camp is on during the first semester, I really can't afford to miss two weeks due to the nature of my course. Would this mean that I can't join, or would I have to leave? And would that look bad on future applications? Would anyone know when the camp is meant to go ahead for the 1st mech and cav? This is also a long shot but would it be possible to do the camp earlier with a different unit? Thanks for your help in advance.

I really want to join but really my study's have to take priority.

• Advertisement

Now assuming the camp is on during the first semester, I really can't afford to miss two weeks due to the nature of my course. Would this mean that I can't join
    The camp will likely be on or around October Bank Hol. If you cannot take that fortnight then its unlikely you should join as there isn't any point really in missing the main block of training.

It would not be possible to do the camp earlier, most of them are in the same timeframe. even if you deferred the likely next one is around Easter - there is no certainty/possibility that future camps will be in the summer block. Similarly the follow-on Three star course will have a two week commitment which you must do again likely at Easter.

You must prioritize yourself , as you say , and if you cannot make these dates perhaps you should reconsider RDF service as you are expected to make the commitment. I did it myself all the way through college and don't regret it one bit but if you do decide to join you will be expected to attend the whole lot and NOT pick and choose; there is a huge amount of critical learning to get out of the way.

As I said above there is zero allowance by employers ( and colleges/universities ) for RDF service. Your essays, assignments etc all need to get done.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭JB400

Anyone hear anything from cathal brugha??

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kirm2

JB400 wrote: »

Nothing whatsoever. I've tried phoning but it just rings out.

Anyone else hear anything?

Kirm2 wrote: »
    Nothing whatsoever. I've tried phoning but it just rings out.

Anyone else hear anything?
    Haha we're well behind the rest of them...

JB400 wrote: »

I'm a few days away from giving up on checking my inbox altogether. Just annoying me more and more each time.

Are the lads from cork already on their 2 weeks of FTT??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Camo stick/camo paint
    Pocket mirror (for camo)
    Regular mirror (shaving etc)
    Foot powder
    PT gear
    Toiletries: shower gear, shaving gear, deodorant etc
    Toilet paper
    Cash: there won't be much to buy but there'll be the odd time out to the cinema and for minerals
    Civilian gear
    Boot polish gear *1
    Watch *2
    PT gear
    Towel *3
    Sleeping bag
    sun cream
    insect repellant
    2 padlocks for lockers *4
    Iron
    Notebook and pens
    water bottle

1 - buy cheap, buy twice. Go in and buy decent brushes from timpsons, and carve your name into in. 1 on-brush (to put it on) and 1 off-brush (softer hair)

2 - get one that is both analogue and digital, as has a glo in the dark face. You might get cpls that give you **** about it being seen by the enemy :rolleyes: but it will be under your smock if you are on exercise.

3 - go microfibre. If you wash in the morning, have PT, and then come back to shower, it'll still be wet if it's a regular cotton towel, wheras microfibre dries mega quick

4 - padlocks - get combination ones. You'll lose keys, and that can be a drama if there are no bolt cutters about. Youou might leave your keys in the lock by accident. And when you go on PT, you might need to stash the key somewhere... all solved by INVESTING in decent combi-locks. Keep the pin same as your phone, or failing that, tell yer parents, girlfriend or bezzie oppo incase you forget.

My own additions to that list - flip flops for showering. Nothing is worse than tabbing/yomping on a verruca. A laundry bag to put your dirty clothes in. And washing machine gel-capsules. No ****ing about with washing powder! Baby wipes, to both treat your ringpiece to a nice wipedown and for last minute inspections!

flipflops for the shower . you don't want the other fellows toejam

I've been watching this for the past few weeks since it first aired and regardless of whether it's fair or not to compare RDF training to that of the Royal Marines, I've found it to be fairly handy as far as looking for a general idea of army discipline and training. Worth watching anyway.

Link: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/royal-marines-commando-school

• Advertisement

Garzard wrote: »
    I've been watching this for the past few weeks since it first aired and regardless of whether it's fair or not to compare RDF training to that of the Royal Marines, I've found it to be fairly handy as far as looking for a general idea of army discipline and training. Worth watching

Yeah it's a good show...being watching myself since it first aired. It's good to see those succeed through the tough times....if there's any comparasion it hasn't put me off!

Advertisement