Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Forces Recruitment 2015 **Update!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Currently on the Cork FTT. It's harsh but very rewarding. 12 hour days for 2 weeks and an emphasis on foot drill, the Steyr and fitness. Just back from a 4k run today.
    Really sound recruits as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭JB400

Lockstep wrote: »
    Currently on the Cork FTT. It's harsh but very rewarding. 12 hour days for 2 weeks and an emphasis on foot drill, the Steyr and fitness. Just back from a 4k run today.

Sounds good..was that 4km run a fitness test??

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pbiddy

What was the pace like for the run? Was it with or without gear?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

4k run will be at the pace of the slowest person

if running without gear:
    if you have been getting fit and doing much running you'll know what pace to do it in. id be trying to run it in sub 4 mins a km personally (my 5km race speed), but you should be trying to get in the range of 5 - 6 mins a km if not.

if running with gear:
    again you will run as fast as slowest person, but for yourself, if you have been getting fit you'd be about a minute slower than the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭twinydavid

Just got my email from dublin :D oh no...wait its an email for penis enlargement.wonderful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

trellheim wrote: »
    flipflops for the shower . you don't want the other fellows toejam

Can't believe flip flops weren't already on the list to be honest! A vital bit of kit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

As disheartening as the wait is, the stress from worrying about training and my repeat dates conflicting is virtually out the window now. Repeat's on Tuesday morning so I'm guessing the earliest I could be called for attestation and training is around this time next week.

Hell, if the waiting goes on even further I'll at least have the chance to get my fitness back up which I've been forced to put off due to studying. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

I've just started a new job and am off on holidays for a week, back on the 1st of September of think im fairly safe too :)

rizzee wrote: »
    I've just started a new job and am off on holidays for a week, back on the 1st of September of think im fairly safe too :)

Looking forward to it a lot now I must say - I've been on the look-out for RDF vacancies for nearly 2 years and knowing past recruitment drives which have usually been small [also highly competitive], I never really expected that to change and once I began to feel it was a waste of time, suddenly a load of places were announced! I'm still amazed at this year's failure rates and the amount that ended up not bothering to turn up for fitness tests, interviews and medicals.

Once I finish college and depending on how all this goes I'll look at applying full time over here or in the UK, so 3 years experience from the RDF could be invaluable. :)

JB400 wrote: »
    Sounds good..was that 4km run a fitness test??

4km was a typo, it was 5km and wasn't the actual test, which'll be 3.2km. You run in gym gear and run in a long column so it accommodates a lot if different speeds. There's a 10km march in full uniform/14kg of equipment as well.
    Genuinely loving it so far. Was in the RdF before and the standard was a lot lower. The recruits are motivated and fit which makes for a really good environment. Training is fun. Especially bayonet training.
    Can't reccomend this enough for people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

NSR Recs were attested in the Naval Base yesterday, good luck in training and hope to see you in Oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭LUKEG2411

trellheim wrote: »
    The camp will likely be on or around October Bank Hol. If you cannot take that fortnight then its unlikely you should join as there isn't any point really in missing the main block of training.

It would not be possible to do the camp earlier, most of them are in the same timeframe. even if you deferred the likely next one is around Easter - there is no certainty/possibility that future camps will be in the summer block. Similarly the follow-on Three star course will have a two week commitment which you must do again likely at Easter.

Hi trellheim thanks for your reply.

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. My first semester runs straight from September to December with no breaks and my mid term exams would be around the October bank hol, so I wouldn't really be able to take 2 weeks.

I'm happy giving up my weekends and week nights for it but I couldn't skip those weeks.

Do you know if it would be possible to defer then to the next recruitment?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DUB142

Any one get a email from the army yet in dublin? I got a offer from the navy and the start date is tomorrow. I think I might hold of for the army but not sure when they will get in touch!

I've still heard nothing from cathal brugha anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭twinydavid

I'd go for the navy. Some nice new ships being commisioned. Good opportuities to go abroad on foreign visits

I've also yet to hear back. Absolute head wrecker the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kirm2

Nothing here either, it's utterly frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FlyingAnts

Anyone know if theres going to be another camp this year? got sent home first day from the one in kilworth because of an injury and was told there might be one in the curragh?

Back from Kilworth. Unreal experience.

Back from Kilworth. Unreal experience.

Once you complete 2 weeks FTT are recruits from then on assigned to their units and show up for the few hours per week and future weekend training / camps?

• Advertisement

Garzard wrote: »
    Once you complete 2 weeks FTT are recruits from then on assigned to their units and show up for the few hours per week and future weekend training / camps?

As far as I know, yes.
    We're still not 2 stars though. We have to complete a guard duty each before we can be fully upgraded.

As far as I know, yes.
    We're still not 2 stars though. We have to complete a guard duty each before we can be fully upgraded.

A 24 hour guard duty??when will that be??

When the guard duty is entirely up to your home unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Irishboy!

FlyingAnts wrote: »
    Anyone know if theres going to be another camp this year? got sent home first day from the one in kilworth because of an injury and was told there might be one in the curragh?

[MOD]Watch the language. Warning issued. [/MOD]

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FlyingAnts

who said id a broken finger ;)

A 24 hour guard duty??when will that be??

We just got the guard duty dates from our home units: we'll be doing them very soon.

We just got the guard duty dates from our home units: we'll be doing them very soon.

Never thought the RDF would be doing guard duties...and more than one?? We still haven't heard back from our crowd yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pbiddy

Anyone hear anything from Cathal Brugha??? I did my medical on 22 nd may

pbiddy wrote: »
    Anyone hear anything from Cathal Brugha??? I did my medical on 22 nd may

Nothing man...doesn't look like we'll hear anytime soon either..

• Advertisement

Nothing man...doesn't look like we'll hear anytime soon either..

Unless they were pretty damn swamped this summer, I see no technical reason why they couldn't have sent out automatic emails / letters to successful applicants of the Medicals depending on people's addresses / general locations / counties / applicants to each barracks and units around the country. To be fair, I'm an impatient you-know-what with almost everything in life but tbh this wait is causing me to be too hesitant with regards to looking for a part-time job, preparing for college, driving lessons and booking a theory test for fear of the email coming at any time.

Advertisement