Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Forces Recruitment 2015 **Update!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭brennan10

Garzard wrote: »
    Unless they were pretty damn swamped this summer, I see no technicn why they couldn't have sent out automatic emails / letters to successful applicants of the Medicals depending on people's addresses / general locations / counties / applicants to each barracks and units around the country. To be fair, I'm an impatient you-know-what with almost everything in life but tbh this wait is causing me to be too hesitant with regards to looking for a part-time job, preparing for college, driving lessons and booking a theory test for fear of the email coming at any time.

You're the same as myself wondering what the situ is with the hold up on hearing anything particularly eastern unit. I understand certain units elsewhere are well underway in regards to attestment and FTT etc. I myself have deviated from some major plans incase of a start date. I agree there should be at least some information made available in regards to a start date...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭JB400

Unless they were pretty damn swamped this summer, I see no technical reason why they couldn't have sent out automatic emails / letters to successful applicants of the Medicals depending on people's addresses / general locations / counties / applicants to each barracks and units around the country. To be fair, I'm an impatient you-know-what with almost everything in life but tbh this wait is causing me to be too hesitant with regards to looking for a part-time job, preparing for college, driving lessons and booking a theory test for fear of the email coming at any time.

Yeah i know what you mean..even if it was just an e-mail to say you passed the medical and they'll be in touch again with a start date...I think brugha had a new pdf recruit platoon start on monday so that might explain some of the delay...Anyway i don't know when our FTT could or will be..all i have on for the next year is college so i'm lucky in that regard...

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

Lockstep wrote: »
    As far as I know, yes.
    We're still not 2 stars though. We have to complete a guard duty each before we can be fully upgraded.

From my own experience witht the Rdf once u fired the styer u were upgraded to 2* and when u did your 3* camp which involved firing the GPMG and tactics u were upgraded after that. I see alot of guys are frustrated with not geting replys and things but if there is Pdf Recruit platoons going into barracks they will get 1st preference and they will be training for at least 32 wks and maybe more so thats up to Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

ace86 wrote: »
    From my own experience witht the Rdf once u fired the styer u were upgraded to 2* and when u did your 3* camp which involved firing the GPMG and tactics u were upgraded after that. I see alot of guys are frustrated with not geting replys and things but if there is Pdf Recruit platoons going into barracks they will get 1st preference and they will be training for at least 32 wks and maybe more so thats up to Xmas.

It's different now: we have to complete recruit camp and then do guard duty before we're 2 stars and then do our 3 star camp to be upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

JB400 wrote: »
    Yeah i know what you mean..even if it was just an e-mail to say you passed the medical and they'll be in touch again with a start date...I think brugha had a new pdf recruit platoon start on monday so that might explain some of the delay...Anyway i don't know when our FTT could or will be..all i have on for the next year is college so i'm lucky in that regard...

Not what anyone wants to hear I know but I was chatting to a mate of mine today who's currently with the RDF unit in Cathal Brugha about everyone's frustration with the delay - when he joined up around this time in 2011 he ended up waiting 6 months past the Medical, so for us it'd reasonable to expect the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

when he joined up around this time in 2011 he ended up waiting 6 months past the Medical, so for us it'd reasonable to expect the same.
    Some of the applicants this time around are making their 2nd attempt to get it. I know several who applied to join in Feb 2011, did medical, got security clearance, everything, and just got delayed and delayed by the embargo. Then they had to re-apply again this year as the system was completely revamped after last years reorg.

Doctor14 wrote: »
    Some of the applicants this time around are making their 2nd attempt to get it. I know several who applied to join in Feb 2011, did medical, got security clearance, everything, and just got delayed and delayed by the embargo. Then they had to re-apply again this year as the system was completely revamped after last years reorg.

It might also have had some to do with concerns of possible physical fitness, Garda clearance and medical results changes - in fairness, a lot can change between 3 years. Still, it must have been a huge kick in the face for them after all that waiting.

With us lot, I can't see why after [only if successful] medicals they couldn't have emailed back a few weeks after with something along the lines of ''Dear Applicant, this email is to confirm your successful completion of your Medical examination and that you have been deemed fit to serve in the Reserve DF... You will be contacted in due course for final attestation, uniform acquisition and training dates... Regards & Sincerely, Manpower Office...'' Again, assuming they weren't / aren't still overloaded at the moment.

In any case, how this could take 3 months is beyond me, I could build a ****ing spaceship in 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kirm2

Still can't get through by phone. Sent emails and no reply either.

Are any of you on the 2015 panel for the pdf?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Settle down everyone. From painful experience down the years it will happen when it happens !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

trellheim wrote: »
    Settle down everyone. From painful experience down the years it will happen when it happens !

Yes. You are in what is termed the "hurry up and wait" phase in military operations. In this situation the accepted drill is as follows.

1. Find a flat piece of ground out of the wind but preferably still in the sun (if sun available)
    2. If you are a light sleeper put in your small ear defenders (plugs)
    3. Lie down and pull the hood of your smock over your head.
    4. Sleep - until instructed otherwise - sleep is a precious resource.

I have the sense that after this years experiment with the recruitment process, units will again become responsible for bringing in their own recruits.

Also, normally recruits don't have to do a camp before attending training with their home units. What this means is that if you passed selection -eg

- you passed Garda vetting
    - you passed the medical
    - you passed the fitness test

Then, as far as I have been able to establish, you should be able to attend night parades with your home unit. There will some things you won't be allowed to do before you have done your recruit camp but that should not prevent attendance at typical night parade training.

At this time the units have likely had a short break after summer camp season and will be starting up night parades soon.

There is likely no point trying to get information out of them before that as they are still working on the details of the next training cycle.

I don't propose to get into a public to and fro on what will or will not happen with regard to recruit training. If anyone has heard different pm me and I will confirm and issue a correction, or not, as needed.

• Advertisement

Lads, just got the email!!!!! Start checking your inboxes!
    Dear Applicant,

Your candidacy to join the RDF has been successful. Please indicate by way of email if you still wish to continue with your induction and if so, please select from one of the following training centres where you will commence your recruit training;

• Cathal Brugha Barracks, Dublin.
    • Custume Barracks, Athlone.
    • Aiken Barracks, Dundalk.
    • Finner Camp, Donegal.

Manpower Office
    2 Bde
    Cathal Brugha Bks
    Rathmines
    Dublin 6

Congrats man....well deserved especially for the waiting you put in! Surprised to see that they give a selection on unit rather than just the one you signed up for originally. Best of luck!

Still nothing...haha talk about frustrating...

brennan10 wrote: »
    Congrats man....well deserved especially for the waiting you put in! Surprised to see that they give a selection on unit rather than just the one you signed up for originally. Best of luck!

Cheers and to yourself! Long overdue though it has to be said. Was tempted to put down Finner Camp in Donegal, with it being a lovely area but firstly [although this probably isn't the case] I was unsure whether you end up getting stuck permanently in the same place you do your recruit training in - being forced to travel to Donegal every week would be a disaster, considering I'm both living & attending college in Dublin. Secondly, as said before I think we've two weekends of PTT before the 2 weeks FTT which would cause much unneeded hassle given the distances.

Anyway, I put down Cathal Brugha as my preferred training area, hope to see some of you there! :)
    Still nothing...haha talk about frustrating.

Don't worry, I'd wager everyone will start receiving these emails within the next week [or two at the latest].

Cheers and to yourself! Long overdue though it has to be said. Was tempted to put down Finner Camp in Donegal, with it being a lovely area but firstly [although this is probably isn't the case] I was unsure whether you end up getting stuck permanently in the same place you do your recruit training in - being forced to travel to Donegal every week would be a disaster, considering I'm both living & attending college in Dublin. Secondly, as said before I think we've two weekends of PTT before the 2 weeks FTT which would cause much unneeded hassle given the distances.

Anyway, I put down Cathal Brugha as my preferred training area, hope to see some of you there! :)

Don't worry, I'd wager everyone will start receiving these emails within the next week [or two at the latest].

Funnily enough had the same notion of finner whenever i get the call with myself been from Donegal just incase I decide to call it a day with the rat race in the big smoke but I'll stick with Brugha for the foreseeable lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pbiddy

Same as. Buzzing to start. Brugha as well. See you guys there
    Cheers and to yourself! Long overdue though it has to be said. Was tempted to put down Finner Camp in Donegal, with it being a lovely area but firstly [although this is probably isn't the case] I was unsure whether you end up getting stuck permanently in the same place you do your recruit training in - being forced to travel to Donegal every week would be a disaster, considering I'm both living & attending college in Dublin. Secondly, as said before I think we've two weekends of PTT before the 2 weeks FTT which would cause much unneeded hassle given the distances.

Did anyone one else get that email too??

Got the email this morning....I'm in! Just to reply now for Brugha.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kirm2

Email received - absolutely delighted ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Got the email! Cathal Brugha. Can't wait: )

• Advertisement

Well done lads, see you there! All we need now is the attestation & training dates.

Should i be worried that I didnt get one yet??think its time to make a few calls

Should i be worried that I didnt get one yet??think its time to make a few calls

I don't think so man...not everyone receives the email same day...prehaps only a number are sent out each day like a quota etc...but I'm only guessing. Give it until tomorrow afternoon I'd say.

brennan10 wrote: »
    Funnily enough had the same notion of finner whenever i get the call with myself been from Donegal just incase I decide to call it a day with the rat race in the big smoke but I'll stick with Brugha for the foreseeable lol..

OK this is important. In order to stay classed as "effective" (and eligible for camp) there is a minimum amount of training hours that need to be taken outside full time training. From memory, the current quota is 48hrs. These training hours need to be accumulated over parade nights (2-3hrs each) and field days at weekends.

You need to select a parent unit where you can conveniently attend this training. Where you do camp has no real bearing on the location of the unit you are attached to.

At one time if you were a member of Donegal unit who happened to be in college in Dublin then it was permitted to log training hours with a Dublin unit. My understanding is that this is not currently being facilitated (although this decision may be at a unit by unit level).

So pick a place you can actually attend. Also the list given out is only of main barracks Athlone, Finner, Dublin etc. There should be other locations with RDF training halls that could be closer so maybe ask about these.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Nice one lads! You'll have a great time.

Personally I'd give it to the end of the week, if they [and yourself] were happy with your Medical then I can't see why you'd be refused. Remember they fell far short of the recruitment target this year. Keep us updated anyway, and best of luck.

OK this is important. In order to stay classed as "effective" (and eligible for camp) there is a minimum amount of training hours that need to be taken outside full time training. From memory, the current quota is 48hrs. These training hours need to be accumulated over parade nights (2-3hrs each) and field days at weekends.

You need to select a parent unit where you can conveniently attend this training. Where you do camp has no real bearing on the location of the unit you are attached to.

At one time if you were a member of Donegal unit who happened to be in college in Dublin then it was permitted to log training hours with a Dublin unit. My understanding is that this is not currently being facilitated (although this decision may be at a unit by unit level).

So pick a place you can actually attend. Also the list given out is only of main barracks Athlone, Finner, Dublin etc. There should be other locations with RDF training halls that could be closer so maybe ask about these.

One point of clarification on this. I don't know if people were given any choice other than infantry. If you are looking to join a corps unit - artillery, engineers, supply and transport then you will be limited to particular locations.

However even in that case the requirement to attend a minimum amount of training will still apply.

One point of clarification on this. I don't know if people were given any choice other than infantry. If you are looking to join a corps unit - artillery, engineers, supply and transport then you will be limited to particular locations.

However even in that case the requirement to attend a minimum amount of training will still apply.

The application form on the site gave Infantry, CIS, Cavalry, Engineers, Artillery & Meds as choices, a mate of mine mentioned a while ago that recruits might be entitled to switch fields if they want after training, though I highly doubt this and can't confirm either way.

The application form on the site gave Infantry, CIS, Cavalry, Engineers, Artillery & Meds as choices, a mate of mine mentioned a while ago that recruits might be entitled to switch fields if they want after training, though I highly doubt this and can't confirm either way.

OK I would not assume joined up thinking. Best to try and confirm that what you applied for is available in the list of locations you have been given.

If you have a particular interest then I would think trying to start with that specialty is better than trying to switch afterwards.

However, the advice about being able to attend training still comes first.

• Advertisement

OK I would not assume joined up thinking. Best to try and confirm that what you applied for is available in the list of locations you have been given.

If you have a particular interest then I would think trying to start with that specialty is better than trying to switch afterwards.

However, the advice about being able to attend training still comes first.

To the best of my knowledge the RDF Cathal Brugha all have at least Infantry, CIS and Cavalry units. Have 2 friends already there with the CIS since 2011, but wouldn't know about the rest of the fields. For example Transport wasn't offered on the application form, Medics require fancy qualifications that most of us lack, and was told that Engineering and Artillery were too small to be worthwhile joining.

Advertisement