Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Forces Recruitment 2015 **Update!**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

It was the case that ex PDF who joined the FCA/RDF could join at their pdf rank if there was a vacancy. They could also get whatever courses they had completed recognized and entered into their file.

From experience I know a few ex fca guys eho rejoined but had to go through rec training again. Something to do with their old record being sealed and no longer available afair.

Not sure if thats still the case tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

So as an ex PDF member myself I could join the RDF at my old rank and have the courses I've done recognised. Is this still the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

I dont know is their a time limit/ age on how long youhave left PDF before starting RDF.

As regards the change up going on if the RDF can raise its standards and prodffesionalism then it will go far to be recognised by the PDF but if there is still people looking for drinking camps then they will find it harder to search for them. The Army is changing and for the better too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭illeagles_mcc

Hi everyone,
    did a quick search and couldn't really find a designated thread for this so here it is. just a few questions, maybe others are wondering also,is the process similiar to the PDF recruitment competition? i assume the fitness exam is the same. what other aspects/differences should we expect? has anyone heard anything back yet? i know people who applied for PDF have had fitness exams already.

any help appreciated :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

RDF are only taking applications at the minute.
    It will be the exact same process up until you complete the medical and fitness tests as far as I know.
    its all here:
    http://www.military.ie/careers/reserve/join-the-reserve/

• Advertisement

Hi everyone,
    did a quick search and couldn't really find a designated thread for this so here it is. just a few questions, maybe others are wondering also,is the process similiar to the PDF recruitment competition? i assume the fitness exam is the same. what other aspects/differences should we expect? has anyone heard anything back yet? i know people who applied for PDF have had fitness exams already.

any help appreciated :)

I applied to RDF this time last week, haven't heard anything back yet (other than the confirmation email of receipt of application). Let's know if you do!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 EncinoMan

Hi. What's the latest on the current round of RDF applications? should I have heard back by now? as the PDF recruitment seems to be well underway at this stage. I applied for Stephen's in Kilkenny, if that makes a difference.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

competition doesnt close until 9th april you may not hear back until after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Member 420

I gather that the Fitness Tests are taking place before the end of this month. But would anyone here know roughly when the Interview, Attestation, etc takes place as I may not be in Ireland for a couple of weeks over the summer which could cause a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

could possibly take months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

If we see recruits by sept then we will be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

They're not messing around folks, fitness tests are coming VERY soon and recruit training will be conducted this summer. Units will have 2* PTEs come September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

This isn't going to be the same as previous recruit training. I highly doubt there will be any 2*s by September in any significant numbers. The days of "summer camp" training for recruits and jobs for everyone else are over. Recruit training will happen when it happens and not when the unit wants it to happen.

And if I am wrong, then it is time to quit and go home. It originally took 1 week to train a recruit (way back in time), then it went to 2 weeks, then to several months. If we go back to doing it as fast as possible then the RDF with never work.

A few weeks ago I was shown provisional dates for recruit training this year. Full time training will still be conducted over the summer and there's a stronger emphasis on weekend training rather than evening parades over an extended period.

That was the intent as of January when the Bde training plan was issued...I haven't seen finalised dates for the training yet but I know when the fitness tests have been set and I am reliably informed that this is going to move quickly.

concussion wrote: »
    A few weeks ago I was shown provisional dates for recruit training this year. Full time training will still be conducted over the summer and there's a stronger emphasis on weekend training rather than evening parades over an extended period.

I saw those dates as well....and saw the dates pass with nothing happening. I wouldn't put any faith in them.

yeah so have fitness test on sat. have been doing a little running and happy with my times, and push ups/sit ups etc, anyone got any other tips/useful info? probably have to get rid of beard i would imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Bit of a long shot on this, but does anyone have the requirements for the RDF? All I can see is the PDF fitness requirements.

I wasn't expecting the fitness so soon, and theres a chance I won't be able to make it, is it advised to let them know? Or just not turn up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Last day for applications is today......

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭twinydavid

kiddums wrote: »
    Bit of a long shot on this, but does anyone have the requirements for the RDF? All I can see is the PDF fitness requirements.

I wasn't expecting the fitness so soon, and theres a chance I won't be able to make it, is it advised to let them know? Or just not turn up?

Its the exact same

its the same test as pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4MNrDmKi3Q&feature=player_embedded

if you dont turn up they probably wont entertain any more applications you make. you would be better off just giving it a go

• Advertisement

its the same test as pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4MNrDmKi3Q&feature=player_embedded

if you dont turn up they probably wont entertain any more applications you make. you would be better off just giving it a go
    Even if I am way off on the fitness in some parts?
    I'm really going to embarrass myself with the push ups at the minute. Running and sit ups should be ok on the day tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Even if I am way off on the fitness in some parts?
    I'm really going to embarrass myself with the push ups at the minute. Running and sit ups should be ok on the day tho.

At least you're not bluffing yourself or anyone else. Just go for it.

if u are confident u can do the sit ups no prob and run a mile and a half in under 11.30 then 20 push ups shud be no big problem really

Make sure you do the pushups and situps the same way the army do them -
    http://www.military.ie/careers/fitness-testing-centre/

I've seen people who can knock out 60 situps in a min with someone holding their legs struggle to do one without.

They are strict as to how they are done.

discus wrote: »
    At least you're not bluffing yourself or anyone else. Just go for it.
    No point in bluffing
    if u are confident u can do the sit ups no prob and run a mile and a half in under 11.30 then 20 push ups shud be no big problem really
    I'm not that confident, I just think I can do it if I push myself.
    Doctor14 wrote: »
    Make sure you do the pushups and situps the same way the army do them -
    http://www.military.ie/careers/fitness-testing-centre/

I've seen people who can knock out 60 situps in a min with someone holding their legs struggle to do one without.

They are strict as to how they are done.
    Well f**k. I really struggle to do them with my feet held, haven't a hope doing them the military way.
    I think my form for push ups is wrong too.

I'm really thinking this isn't going to work for me. Might just wait till the next recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭brennan10

Kiddums...I just got word on Monday past for the fitness test this Saturday at Mc Kee. Last Saturday at a wedding I have a mishap of going over my left foot and tore some ligaments. Got this confirmed in Beaumont Hosp on Monday. I've kept the foot slapped up since and really surprised how it's healed in a very short period. I'm not unfit and able for the push up/sit ups no problem but the run was a major concern with the foot and having seen the doctor to get the cert signed on Tuesday I was told that I also have a slight Chest Infection that a course of antibotics should clear in the week. Started the run on Tuesday this week and ran out of puff at a KM but I'm pushing through big time and this morning made the 2.4km in 11.30 mins within two days...pushing through is the only way forward and when you feel you want to give up just remember 90% of the wanting to stop is purely mental or all in the mind! What have you got to loose? Best of luck!

We're still on track for recruit camp over the summer. Looks like some of the modules will be shuffled around so that there will be further weekend training during the summer after the full time training. I take most training plans with a hefty pinch of salt, but there are firm plans to induct and train our recruits without further loss of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DUB142

concussion wrote: »
    We're still on track for recruit camp over the summer. Looks like some of the modules will be shuffled around so that there will be further weekend training during the summer after the full time training. I take most training plans with a hefty pinch of salt, but there are firm plans to induct and train our recruits without further loss of time.

Did any one here about the the PDF playing a much bigger role in RDF rec training? It was mentioned beffore in the past that the full 6 month training will be offered to the RDF so you would have PDF and RDF recruits training together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

its normal if i didn't get another email ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Garzard

Do we know yet how many they're planning on recruiting?

Advertisement