Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Forces Recruitment 2015 **Update!**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

All units are small

Artillery are the most integrated with the PDF of the ground forces

Engineers are always on hand on exercises Ive been on (im an infanteer)

My unit is currently down to about 20 souls all told if even that, the majority of which are NCOs and Officers. We should have a strength of circa 100. no recruitment for 5 years will do that to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kirm2

Morpheus wrote: »
    All units are small

Artillery are the most integrated with the PDF of the ground forces

Engineers are always on hand on exercises Ive been on (im an infanteer)

My unit is currently down to about 20 souls all told if even that, the majority of which are NCOs and Officers. We should have a strength of circa 100. no recruitment for 5 years will do that to you.

Morpheus do you have any info on the pdf panel for 2015? I've been put on it but that's all I know. Will they actually pull from it and is there any wsy of knowing where on the panel you are?

I believe that they continue to pull from the panel for each new recruit platoon until its exhausted, i could be wrong on this but that is my belief. There are others here who will probably know better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I wish you all good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

CBB for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭JB400

Ive Still heard nothing....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

JB400 wrote: »
    Ive Still heard nothing....

Any joy today?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

Does anyone know when do we start the induction in CBB?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Does anyone know when do we start the induction in CBB?

I replied the day I got the email accepting to go onto the next stage of the induction, haven't got a confirmation email off them but I presume it's all Ok...

I'd say we'll get a start date once everyone replies to the acceptance email, sure they're probably still sending them all out to people!

Hoping it's soon anyway, if I end up missing 2 weeks of college due to training I can't imagine my course lecturers being too pleased.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Garzard wrote: »
    Hoping it's soon anyway, if I end up missing 2 weeks of college due to training I can't imagine my course lecturers being too pleased.

And they'd be right. Life comes first the RDF comes second. Regardless of your personal enthusiasm for the RDF, at the end of the day the most thanks you will get from the defence forces will be a service medal and an honorable discharge.

It is highly unlikely that the defence forces will lift a finger to help you if your participation in the RDF causes difficulties at work, college etc. Unlike other countries, the loyalty and support of the Irish state to its army reserve members is limited (at best).

So work comes first, college comes first, family and partners come first, driving tests and other exams come first, RDF comes second.

If you miss the "dedicated" recruit camp then it is up to your unit to find a way to get you trained up. They can bring you in with trained personel on other camps and put you through the recruit syllabus if needed. Almost all the units are top heavy with NCOs at the moment so its not like they lack instructors.

Anyone going to be travelling to CBB from North Kildare, Lucan, Leixlip direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭brennan10

Kirm2 wrote: »
    Anyone going to be travelling to CBB from North Kildare, Lucan, Leixlip direction?[/QUOTE

Driving from Clontarf myself if that's of any help to anyone.

[MOD]
    Just to clarify,
    is everyone here still talking about RDF recruitment?
    there are a couple of PDF recruitment related comments,
    please keep them in the relevant PDF recruitment thread. [/MOD]

I'm expecting an e-mail soon...had to sort something out with the medical...have any of you guys received anymore e-mails since regarding a start date??

Nothing more here anyway. Hope it turns out ok for you.

Yeah i was passed fit last wednesday...just have to get the e-mail

And they'd be right. Life comes first the RDF comes second. Regardless of your personal enthusiasm for the RDF, at the end of the day the most thanks you will get from the defence forces will be a service medal and an honorable discharge.

It is highly unlikely that the defence forces will lift a finger to help you if your participation in the RDF causes difficulties at work, college etc. Unlike other countries, the loyalty and support of the Irish state to its army reserve members is limited (at best).

So work comes first, college comes first, family and partners come first, driving tests and other exams come first, RDF comes second.

If you miss the "dedicated" recruit camp then it is up to your unit to find a way to get you trained up. They can bring you in with trained personel on other camps and put you through the recruit syllabus if needed. Almost all the units are top heavy with NCOs at the moment so its not like they lack instructors.

Really, I can only hope the FTT is during Halloween or during other college holidays. Only back in the course a few days and the workload involved is already becoming ruthless. While my lecturers would probably allow for RDF commitments, either way it's too much to ask from them and I honestly can't afford to miss 2 weeks, even a couple days off would be pushing it due to the nature of my course [Engineering]. If push comes to shove and the FTT schedule conflicts with college I'll have to get in touch with the Reserves again to see if I can defer the training.
    I'm expecting an e-mail soon...had to sort something out with the medical...have any of you guys received anymore e-mails since regarding a start date??

Nothing yet and I've been checking all week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 TheWhiteLimo

Yes - A cheap bit of metal sprayed gold ... You'll get this 7yr Medal having served 15yrs if your lucky. (Mine snapped in transit) - Always have the O.N.E to look forward to joining, talk war stories & attend funerals - until its your time for yours!!

Got another email! :)

• Advertisement

rizzee wrote: »
    Got another email! :)

That's great well done, I'll keep checking mine now.

Do we need to bring anything?? Is it just for an hour or two?

Got it too 😀

It doesn't give any other info though, what to bring, attestation, how long we'll be there for??

Kirm2 wrote: »
    Got it too 😀

It doesn't give any other info though, what to bring, attestation, how long we'll be there for??

Hopefully there will be another email before the 8th! Not a clue what to bring/wear etc. either...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭brennan10

Got the same email for October 8th. 2 weeks away not long now lads!

Well done lads, just got the same. As said before though I'm probably going to need to talk it over with my course head & lecturers. Training on weekends shouldn't be an issue but the email doesn't specify how long that induction is, nor the beginning of FTT, so I'll have to give the Manpower Office a ring also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Be no harm to ring that number at the bottom and ask them what the story will be.

Garzard wrote: »
    Well done lads, just got the same. As said before though I'm probably going to need to talk it over with my course head & lecturers. Training on weekends shouldn't be an issue but the email doesn't specify how long that induction is, nor the beginning of FTT, so I'll have to give the Manpower Office a ring also.

Would you let us know here what they say please, I could do with a few answers too!! Thanks

Ahhh here..i may ring them up...anyone know brughas manpower office number?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭twinydavid

Finally the wait is over :D

• Advertisement

Ahhh here..i may ring them up...anyone know brughas manpower office number?

Still no email J? I have the number bolded below. If you ring them and manage to get on to them, would you mind asking about the FTT dates? Tried twice over the course of today myself and couldn't get through, surprise surprise! If it doesn't work tomorrow either I'll try emailing instead. They might not be taking calls on Fridays or weekends though.

Anyway:
    Dear Gearoid,

I am directed by the Chief of Staff to refer to
    your application for the Army Reserve Competition 2014. I am pleased to inform
    you that you have been successful in selection for enlistment as a result of
    this competition.

Please notify this office, by return email, not later
    than 10.00hrs on Monday 29th
    September 2014
    , as to whether you intend to accept or
    decline this offer .

Candidates will be required to arrive for Induction
    at 19.45hrs on Wednesday 08st October
    , to the 7 Inf Bn Reserve, CATHAL BRUGHA
    BARRACKS, RATHMINES,DUBLIN 6.

If you have any further queries, you
    should contact this office at 01 804 6453, and the staff will be happy to