Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Forces Recruitment 2015 **Update!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kirm2

Garzard wrote: »
    I had to attest on my own but by that stage I think there were only 2 or 3 lads left over confusion with paperwork etc. Were you one of them?

Aaah okay! I was in one of the last groups of 5, if not the last one and there was one guy who didn't swear on the Bible. Thought it may have been you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pbiddy

brennan10 wrote: »
    You the letterkenny lad I was chatting to last night...same neck of the woods as myself...paddy right?

That's me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

pbiddy wrote: »
    They lost my paperwork. Have to get sworn in next wednesday.
    Having surgery now on my thumb so ill be in a cast for the next 4 to 6 weeks. I don't think I can make the FTT.... but I was told they can paint the cast green lol

Were you the lad with the cast on your right hand? Think I was talking to you for a bit.
    Kirm2 wrote: »
    Aaah okay! I was in one of the last groups of 5, if not the last one and there was one guy who didn't swear on the Bible. Thought it may have been you!

I might have been the only one to do that actually. When I asked the guy filling out the paperwork whether it made any difference, he just says: ''Nah not really - just means the priest won't bless your body when you get killed!'' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pbiddy

Were you the lad with the cast on your right hand? Think I was talking to you for a bit.

Yea that was me. Just out of surgery. Tendon damage as well as the ligaments. No way I'm gonna make the FTT

• Registered Users Posts: 10 keith_kiki

mcko wrote: »
    Yes, they need to pass a sea going med as all NSR pers are seamen only, all line not corps.

To clear this up, NS (NSR) personnel go through the same medical as the army,(AR) the NS(NSR) must do certain courses and training to allow the to go to sea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 10 keith_kiki

mcko wrote: »
    Wrong

Can you elaborate on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

NSR have to be 1 to pass the med AR can be 3 not sure if that is the correct grade but we have to meet a different standard.
    NSR Rec class pass out tomorrow at 12.00 in the Naval Base, good luck to all concerned.

pbiddy wrote: »
    No way I'm gonna make the FTT

Neither will I unfortunately - found out yesterday at college we wouldn't be getting off for Halloween. IIRC from previous years we'd usually get off for at least a week, a few days even at least. So it'll have to be Easter or next summer [if I'm not on a J1].

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

I'm ex PDF half thinking of joining RDF. Has anyone any idea would I have to do RDF recruit training?

Also what unit is based in mullingar now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Got my 2 weeks off work :)

Quick question, I live about half an hour away from where it's held, is there any possibility of returning home the for weekends/couple of hours in the evening/ any time at all during it? Or is it strictly enforced to stay for the whole of the 2 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭brennan10

rizzee wrote: »
    Got my 2 weeks off work :)

Quick question, I live about half an hour away from where it's held, is there any possibility of returning home the for weekends/couple of hours in the evening/ any time at all during it? Or is it strictly enforced to stay for the whole of the 2 weeks?

As far as I remember from what was said Wednesday evening there isn't any chance of that happening....

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

As far as I remember from what was said Wednesday evening there isn't any chance of that happening....

+1, they will probably only let people out who have some serious reasons to do so. If even..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

murf313 wrote: »
    I'm ex PDF half thinking of joining RDF. Has anyone any idea would I have to do RDF recruit training?

Also what unit is based in mullingar now?

Mullingar is now C Coy 6 Inf Bn. From what I hear they are fairly active unit who do their own thing.

I suspect the recruit camp thing would be a matter for your CO. Might be you would have to fire recruit table on first RP for sake of paperwork. But Ive no real idea.

Sending pm with contact mail for C Coy.

Just to be sure lads, are we supposed to turn up in Cathal Brugha tomorrow in that lecture room where we were split in two groups last Wednesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭brennan10

Just to be sure lads, are we supposed to turn up in Cathal Brugha tomorrow in that lecture room where we were split into groups last Wednesday?

Yeah we're to head there but think we are to line up for were we were standing waiting outside last week probably for attendance check etc before we head to lecture room. Think that it.

Just to be sure lads, are we supposed to turn up in Cathal Brugha tomorrow in that lecture room where we were split in two groups last Wednesday?

Either that or we've to show up on the parade ground AFAIK.

Deleted!!

Ugh phone is going nuts sorry about the repeat post - please ignore it!!

Thanks, just hearing that we'd get free time in the evening. Don't know what that means. I'll ask tomorrow evening. See you then :)

• Advertisement

Let's pray it doesn't rain tonight...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

If its not rainin
    You aint trainin

You get used to marching around / sleeping out in it eventually.

Good craic there tonight learning the basics! Can't wait for ftt

Hope it's ok to post this here:

Lads, if anyone else is applying to defer the Recruit Training until next year, the letter they gave us appears to be backwards, or at least mine is. Like several others, I've made it clear to the unit that I wouldn't be able to attend the training in October - November due to college commitments.

Now look at the letter:
    To: My course head

Dear Sir, the under mentioned member of the Reserve Defence Forces has been ordered to report for a Course of Training at X Barracks from [training dates] both dates inclusive:

Name: Recruit Garzard

He is, I am informed employed by you and I would be grateful if you would give favourable consideration to his application for leave of absence from his employment for the period mentioned above. He will pay PRSI at rate K under the Social Welfare Acts of employment for short periods, for any period NOT in excess of 21 consecutive days and at a rate H thereafter. He should not be informed of this procedure as it may affect his number of contributions.

Signature / Rank etc.

The underlined bit is the issue - I'm looking to do the exact opposite [defer the training until next year rather than trying to get time off from college]. I thought I made that clear to them.

Am I missing something here?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

go back, in writing, request exactly what you are looking for. not by word or email only, but also by written letter, that way you can follow a paper trail until you get what you want.

Morpheus wrote: »
    go back, in writing, request exactly what you are looking for. not by word or email only, but also by written letter, that way you can follow a paper trail until you get what you want.

Dropped in on Thursday night, and was told to try checking with my Battalion HQ, but the place was empty and had to leave without any answers. No response to calls or email either. It's like pulling teeth tbh.

Showed the letter to my course head yesterday anyway and while he was also confused by the wording, he suggested it might mean that it simply requires a note or letter of refusal from himself to give me the time off, in the interests of me being able to keep up with my course. [We were told that there's no obligation on employers to grant concessions].

Even though I made it clear several times that I wouldn't be able to make this year's RT both in word and writing, that letter still has me worried. Especially with the training dates approaching - which might result in me not being able to give sufficient notice [assuming there has been a mix-up].

Dropped in on Thursday night, and was told to try checking with my Battalion HQ, but the place was empty and had to leave without any answers. No response to calls or email either. It's like pulling teeth tbh.

Showed the letter to my course head yesterday anyway and while he was also confused by the wording, he suggested it might mean that it simply requires a note or letter of refusal from himself to give me the time off, in the interests of me being able to keep up with my course. [We were told that there's no obligation on employers to grant concessions].

Even though I made it clear several times that I wouldn't be able to make this year's RT both in word and writing, that letter still has me worried. Especially with the training dates approaching - which might result in me not being able to give sufficient notice [assuming there has been a mix-up].

Yes I would say ask your lecturer to compose something along the lines of.
    Mr / Ms Xxxx
    Course director
    Course xxx

Dear Garzards CO

With regard to your request to release Mr Garzard from date xx to date xx. With regret course policy only allows for students to be absent for medical reasons or family emergencies. With regret I must decline the request.

Yours etc

I suspect that with all the messing over this years recruitment somebody is doing everything by the book.

Just play the same game.

Yes I would say ask your lecturer to compose something along the lines of.

I suspect that with all the messing over this years recruitment somebody is doing everything by the book.

Just play the same game.

Just to be clear this is not something that I think is in "the book". I would consider that this kind of "request to release" letter is only for situations where your employer has already agreed in principle to let you attend.

So as an example some organisations provide an additional leave allowance to cover attendance at military training. So you dont use your annual holidays to attend training. In that case, the HR department may require a letter from your CO to have on file to explain your absence.

If someone in CB is routinely asking RDF personel to provide written confirmation from their employers to say they can't attend training - then I would tend to think they are acting outside reasonable authority.

At the end of the day the army has nothing to do with your employer and your employer has nothing to do with the army. I would question what good reason there could be for issuing such a letter where no permission is available.

But at this point as a recruit it is probably not for you to make that call. If you can get a letter from college without making any trouble for yourself then just get one and tick that box.

At some point I would then raise it with one of your training NCOs and ask if you can get clarification from your Company Sergeant.

I would not engage any further with the person who sought the letter other than to give them what they want.

Edit: I would also make copies of all correspondence and keep a note of the occasions when you had to discuss this matter with your course supervisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FlyingAnts

i joined the rdf this year and missed my units recruit camp back in during the summer, does anyone know if il be able to go on camp with the recruits in cb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Dudeguy

Hey lads, seems i found the right place! Like many of you posting im a recruit in 7 battalion in CB barracks. Many of you going to FTT [MOD] dont post dates of or locations of future full time training - wed nights etc are ok to discuss [/MOD]?? Anyone know what to expect of it...? Ive picked up a light injury in my legs while running, which is a bummer... Does anyone know if there will be quite a bit on running involved over the two weeks? I'm afraid that my legs may let me down.. :P

Advertisement