Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Forces Recruitment 2015 **Update!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Looking forward to FTT now.

Do the sections we were in from last week still matter at all? We weren't put in them last night

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭brennan10

rizzee wrote: »

Yeah same as that! Now to get organised and get that list given ticked off!

Do the sections we were in from last week still matter at all? We weren't put in them last night

I suppose what we did last night didny allow for it but I'm sute they'll use it again...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Thats an excellent question. It will depend on your unit. Ideally everbody in the RDF should know which section they are in and who their section NCO and platoon sergeants are.

The reality is that, for night parades, section assignments can be very fluid depending on who shows up on the night.

If you are on FTT then the normal process will be that you will be assigned to a section and platoon on the first or second day and you will keep that assignment for the duration of that period of training. Same thing if you are on an excercise.

Edit: In initial training expect to find yourself frequently being given a number by the instructing NCO and then referred to by that number for the rest of the class. This can change from class to class. It can feel a bit impersonal. But both the NCOs and the private soldiers are being trained in the idea that someone might have to take charge of a random group of people and give them tasks without time for introductions and "getting to know each other".

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭IrelandDylan

Anyone doing the reserves concurrently with college? Whats that like?

Well lads how's the packing getting on? Probably only half way there and there's quite a bit to bring already....just remember what you bring is what you carry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

The accommodation must be really rudimentary if we've to bring our own sleeping bags [unless they're for the outdoors]. :p I've most of the stuff at hand but still have to shop a bit more tonight. What sort of bags did they say to bring again? [I know they said not to bring wheelers]. Would a rucksack do?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dudeguy

Managed to get just about everything yesterday! Just polish and a combination lock to get methinks. What clothes do we arrive in? Says smart casual dress but i don't want to be the only guy in jeans if we are told to go for a run :D

Garzard wrote: »
    The accommodation must be really rudimentary if we've to bring our own sleeping bags [unless they're for the outdoors]. :p I've most of the stuff at hand but still have to shop a bit more tonight. What sort of bags did they say to bring again? [I know they said not to bring wheelers]. Would a rucksack do?

I'm really been strict oto limit myself on what to bring. Should fit most of it in a large gym/duffel bag. Make sure to leave some space as you'll have more to bring back than in ie. Uniform/boots/gear etc which will be heavy enough by itself.

Dudeguy wrote: »
    Managed to get just about everything yesterday! Just polish and a combination lock to get methinks. What clothes do we arrive in? Says smart casual dress but i don't want to be the only guy in jeans if we are told to go for a run :D

Yeah was in tesco yesterday and they don't do the brand we're meant to get. Im sure jeans etc are fine for arrival at least for good impression and so on...anyways the change of clothes should cover for what else is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭twinydavid

The parade polish should be easily gitten in any cobblers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭JB400

Got an e-mail saying i was unsuccessful in the competition. Looks like I wont be getting a late call up... That was a waste of alot of college time for nothing... Enjoy the FTT lads, let us know how it goes...

JB400 wrote: »
    Got an e-mail saying i was unsuccessful in the competition. Looks like I wont be getting a late call up... That was a waste of alot of college time for nothing... Enjoy the FTT lads, let us know how it goes...

Damn im really sorry to hear that dude... It sucks :/ Be sure to try it next time! Even the recruitment at the moment, at least you know what to expect from each of the recruitment stages so you'll have a greater chance of getting in! Best of luck!

Got a sleeping bag today. Going to get everything else this after noon. Leaving it all last minute!!

They didn't really leave us with much time in the first place :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

Probably OT, but was wondering if Reservists, as part of the DF can receive healthcare at [not a free] but reduced price in St Bricins / other military hospitals - eg. dental surgery. I've recently been having pain in one tooth. It didn't start during FTT - therefore I wouldn't consider it the Army's problem. But due to the typical huge costs of things like fillings and root canals [even mere check-ups] being done locally, I wanted to know if it would be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Probably OT, but was wondering if Reservists, as part of the DF can receive healthcare at [not a free] but reduced price in St Bricins / other military hospitals - eg. dental surgery. I've recently been having pain in one tooth. It didn't start during FTT - therefore I wouldn't consider it the Army's problem. But due to the typical huge costs of things like fillings and root canals [even mere check-ups] being done locally, I wanted to know if it would be an option.

If it occurred on training and you are still on full time then you can go on sick parade and avail of the military medical system. Such as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

How did anyone get on with the testing at Aiken today? Was meant to go but decided another week of training might be for the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 DEWF

Anyone else on here in the 2nd competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gg1305

DEWF wrote: »
    Anyone else on here in the 2nd competition?

Yeah I applied, just waiting on a fitness test date

gg1305 wrote: »
    Yeah I applied, just waiting on a fitness test date

Same here best of luck man

Did yous go to the open day in CBB last Saturday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gg1305

Did yous go to the open day in CBB last Saturday?

Yeah I was there, there was more people there than I thought there would be!
    Take it we all applied for dublin?

I was there aswell , must of been over 60 I'd say

DEWF wrote: »
    I was there aswell , must of been over 60 I'd say

No way. That's a great turn out. I'm part of the first group from this year that started a month ago. If you've any questions fire away. Best of luck.

No way. That's a great turn out. I'm part of the first group from this year that started a month ago. If you've any questions fire away. Best of luck.

Cheers yeah I'll just ask what should I expect from the interview and is the medical as long as it is for the PDF?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Its the exact same process bar (i believe) that you dont get bloods done - open to correction - which is a PDF only process.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

^We got our blood done when applying for RDF's Southern Brigade earlier in the year.

Yeah I'd say the bloods are done but I'm just wondering what else is involved other than the eye and hearing, do RDF candidates do a psychometric ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

oh? cool

must be the exact same entry req's all the way so!

Im vetting recruits for the fitness test this weekend myself so will have a chat with the OIC and see what i can find out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Garzard wrote: »

At the start of full time training you fill in an Army Form 14b where you declare any active injuries and ailments that you have before you start training.

I would think that you would not be covered for anything that was, or should have been, declared on your 14b.

If you sustain an injury or come down with something new while on training you might be covered but I suspect it would depend on the nature of the condition. Injury then ok but some chronic issue that happens to manifest itself on camp then I suspect not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kirm2

Have to take the bus to training tonight - are we permitted to wear our uniform on public transport or is there somewhere to change from civvies? Thanks

Advertisement