Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Forces Recruitment 2015 **Update!**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

As long as you are dressed properly (ie beret on head) there is generally no problem. I prefer to go in in civvies but that's my choice. No abuse gets thrown at you that way and you avoid a lot of stupid questions from joe soap

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gg1305

Just a quick question ,how long did the whole joining process take roughly?
    They said April for new recruits, all thanks to Garda vetting?
    Seems an awful long time to be waiting?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

the process should take a number of weeks, but the garda vetting sometimes delays it by a significant number of weeks unfortunately.

Morpheus wrote: »
    the process should take a number of weeks, but the garda vetting sometimes delays it by a significant number of weeks unfortunately.

And the fitness tests are starting this weekend??
    Will they be weekend only or during the week also?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

cant vouch for other units but would assume it being for reservists they will try to accomodate potential recruits at weekends.

• Advertisement

Morpheus wrote: »
    cant vouch for other units but would assume it being for reservists they will try to accomodate potential recruits at weekends.

Are you 1bde or 2bde?
    Hopefully it's the case for Dublin
    And it's rdf staff doing the fitness tests not pdf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 DEWF

If anyone gets an email for the fitness tests can you let us know , cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Only 2 days left in the recruitment campaign !

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Limerick Sovereigns

Applications for recruitment to the Army Reserve and the Naval Service reserve close tomorrow.

For those from Limerick, there's an article on joining the NSR on the Limerick Post website (it appears I'm not allowed to post a link)

Anybody from Dublin heard anything yet about fitness tests?

• Advertisement

gg1305 wrote: »
    Anybody from Dublin heard anything yet about fitness tests?

I haven't anyway

Grand was hoping I hadn't been forgotten about! They're leaving it a bit late if they wanted fitness tests done by the end of the month?

Ah I'm sure they'll be done within a few weeks from now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 aidantracey

Got email about fitness test today for RDF in Sarsfield Barracks, Limerick!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

DEWF wrote: »
    I was there aswell , must of been over 60 I'd say

I was at the open day too. I asked how many had applied for this competition and was told 400+ with about 140 to be taken on board.

When I asked how they would decide who to pick if more than 140 candidates met all the set requirements, I was told it would be down to interview scores.

The guy giving us the talk about the recruitment process suggested that we prepare some good answers (with examples) concerning (1) being part of/working as a team, (2) an example of how you would resolve a conflict, and (3) any examples of leadership.

I have to say, I want to get in even more having traipsed around the place hearing about infantry, cavalry, transport, and comms.

Early days yet but which preferences would people here have in terms where to apply following basic training? Also, any opinions from those already in as to the relative benefits of each? Thanks for any opinions on that - caught between cavalry and transport myself (though maybe I should pass the fitness test first) ;)

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    I was at the open day too. I asked how many had applied for this competition and was told 400+ with about 140 to be taken on board.

When I asked how they would decide who to pick if more than 140 candidates met all the set requirements, I was told it would be down to interview scores.

The guy giving us the talk about the recruitment process suggested that we prepare some good answers (with examples) concerning (1) being part of/working as a team, (2) an example of how you would resolve a conflict, and (3) any examples of leadership.

I have to say, I want to get in even more having traipsed around the place hearing about infantry, cavalry, transport, and comms.

Early days yet but which preferences would people here have in terms where to apply following basic training? Also, any opinions from those already in as to the relative benefits of each? Thanks for any opinions on that - caught between cavalry and transport myself (though maybe I should pass the fitness test first) ;)

Yeah I'd be the same with transport or Cavalry but first I'll just be excited about getting in at all.

So the fitness and medical are pass/fail tests and time has no play into whether you come in at 8 mins or 11 mins on the run for eg. ?

DEWF wrote: »
    Yeah I'd be the same with transport or Cavalry but first I'll just be excited about getting in at all.

So the fitness and medical are pass/fail tests and time has no play into whether you come in at 8 mins or 11 mins on the run for eg. ?

Exactly - all tests are pass/fail except for the interview.

The same guy giving the talk said you'd be surprised by the number of people who slack off towards the end of the run, and then miss out by a few seconds. So I'd better get some 'Rocky montage' training in over the next while.

Yeah I'm going to get out myself tomorrow, been having a few rest days, it wont be long now until the fitness hopefully!

Fitness test for me on the 29th at 9am,
    Pretty optimistic about this, so hopefully won't have too much difficulty,
    I also seen down the bottom of the email that should you fail the fitness test there is an opportunity to repeat within 4 weeks,

Same here; 29th at 9am. I'll see you there.

They don't half have enough things you have to bring on the day! Still, looking forward to it.

I've heard that they're very strict about those slightly weird, 'knees cupped' situps we have to do. So even though I could probably do about 40 crunches in the minute, I'd better 'get cupping' (much like the doctor during our medical) ;)

One last thing: can anyone here who's already done the fitness test tell me whether it's a circuit around the barracks a number of times or what? Might not seem to make a difference but I'd like to know what to expect - do we run in groups or is it more like a 'time trial' for individual applicants?

• Advertisement

Yeah watch the sit ups they're actually deceptively difficult, make sure your arms are straight and they go over the top of your knees, not the side, and sort your breathing doing them and you'll be fine, the run in mckee for the pdf was 2 laps of the barracks and apparently wasn't 2.4k it was less or seemed like it, so I would imagine something similar, and the tests then there's 20 or so to a group,
    Hope that helps, I'll be the fairly overweight one looking nervous in the corner!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Good luck to you .

Thanks for the info, gg. I've consistently made the time for the run (fastest was about 10 mins 20 secs so far) but I hope I don't get a stitch on the day or something - I'm 34 and this is literally the last time I'll be able to apply (then again, there is the four week re-take available if worst comes to worst).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mavigoz

Got my fitness test date for collins barracks cork on the 29th @ 11.00. Confident with my push ups and almost comfortable with sit ups the run will be testing! Fingers crossed :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    One last thing: can anyone here who's already done the fitness test tell me whether it's a circuit around the barracks a number of times or what? Might not seem to make a difference but I'd like to know what to expect - do we run in groups or is it more like a 'time trial' for individual applicants?

Each barracks is different and has its own running course - Sarsfield Barracks has a 400m (roughly) track which you go around and around (7 times for the annual test and nearly 25 times for the 10km loaded march) while Kilworth has a straight-ish bit of road to run.

You run in 1 big group....which quickly becomes several smaller groups as the run go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Illeatyourface

mavigoz wrote: »
    Got my fitness test date for collins barracks cork on the 29th @ 11.00. Confident with my push ups and almost comfortable with sit ups the run will be testing! Fingers crossed :-)

Have the fitness test @11 in the collins barracks too. Ok with pushups/situps. Worried about the run too. Only had a week to prepare. Here's hoping!!

Have the fitness test @11 in the collins barracks too. Ok with pushups/situps. Worried about the run too. Only had a week to prepare. Here's hoping!!

All we can do is try our best if all comes to all there will be a chance to retest in a few weeks,hopefully pass first time! Good luck :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Illeatyourface

mavigoz wrote: »
    All we can do is try our best if all comes to all there will be a chance to retest in a few weeks,hopefully pass first time! Good luck :-)

Same to you. I'll be the grey haired 30 year old lad.

Same to you. I'll be the grey haired 30 year old lad.

Well Il prob be the only girl there so be hard to miss :-) see ya there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Chonghaile85

Best of luck lads (and lady) :) , Im in Cathal Brugha for fitness assessment at 0900 tomorrow, anyone know how strict the hearing test is? Not saying I'm deaf but is it pass/fail test?

Advertisement