Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Forces Recruitment 2015 **Update!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gg1305

Best of luck to you too, 9am in cathal Brugha myself,
    As far as I know the hearing test is strict enough, but your given a chance to repeat the hearing part, but they'll send you to get your ears syringed and what not!
    Best bet is focus on getting past tomorrow first then worry about the rest!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Chonghaile85

Aye, this is true :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

stop listening to earphones and avoid loud music etc niteclubs et al in the days / weeks coming up to the medical tests - if you pass the fitness tests.
    Never heard of anyone getting sent for ear syringing? its a pass fail test with possibly repeat - if you again fail - then out
    anyway best of luck lads and lasses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

I failed the hearing test 3 times haha. Was a pain in the hole. First time was 2 days after a gig so fair enough, don't know about the rest I was fairly confident. The time I passed I sprayed some stuff I got in the chemist into my ears before I went in and got the top grade.

Sorry what I meant to actually say was that should you fail, you get sent off and get it sorted, by syringing or any other routes, but it's not a case of "oh you've failed, off with you so!!"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

i think you get it sorted out of your own pocket.
    You wont get sent to see a DF doctor who will diagnose your ear ailment, you will have to go off and pay to have your ears tested and diagnosed!
    The soldier dealing with you in the hospital and administering the hearing test is only an orderly

Oh yeah of course, I wouldn't ever expect that it would be paid for, it's nice that they even give you the chance to re sit!!

So how soon would the results come back from the hearing test Morpheus? Also, what comes first...the interview or the eye/ear tests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Illeatyourface

Anyone know the running route for collins barracks? Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Probably, for the test, it will laps of the square or of pitches somewhere.

If you stand at the main gate on the Old Youghal Rd and run up and over the hill and keep going as far as the Supervalue just past the Mayfield petrol station and then come back - thats supposed to be two miles.

But it would not be suitable for a fitness test since you have to cross at a set of traffic lights part away along.

It is also a teensy bit hilly :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 mavigoz

As far as I remember it is 5 or 6 laps of the square in the barracks.

The hearing test results you get them straight away on the spot.

Only bloods and urine take time so you will know the results of your eye tests etc.

How did everyone get on with yer fitness today??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Illeatyourface

Pushups situps all good but did the run in 12:30. Have a repeat on the 10th Jan so will nail it then hopefully. Anyone have advice on improving the time?

Pushups situps all good but did the run in 12:30. Have a repeat on the 10th Jan so will nail it then hopefully. Anyone have advice on improving the time?

Im the same was a minute behind on the run, cramped up fairly badly after 2nd lap :-/.... intervel training meant to help improve the run ie. Warm up, run 2 mins, walk 2 and grandually increase the run time and reduce the walk time everytime u train.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭janet1989

I have the induction in Galway on the 14th at 11:00. Anyone else in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Passed the fitness test in Cathal Brugha there yesterday. JAYsus, that took a long time! If they organised things a bit better, we'd have been in and out in less than an hour - still, delighted to be done with that and I guess a bit of training in 'how to wait' may do well in preparation for army life ;)

Next stop, interviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 DEWF

Passed in cb on saturday too, looking forward to the interviews now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 HappyFeet98

Has anyone heard from Haulbowline Naval Base since the fitness test on 22nd?

Passed in CB on Saturday too. I thought it was well run, it was a bit long, but it gave a nice test as to what may be ahead. The gym is quality!

Finished the run in 10:08, ran with a lad beside me, we kept pace with each other for the whole course which really helped. Interviews next, looking forward to it :)

• Advertisement

Just got the notice for the interview, this Saturday 1130 in CB

Happy days!

Passed it myself on Saturday, over the moon with it!!
    Interview next Saturday too, so I'll see You all there!!

Have the interview Saturday too, just wondering if there's anything we need to bring as there was no attachment in my email, maybe it will come after?

@DEWF

Not sure to be honest, didnt say anything in my email either. I suppose it would be more about how you carry yourself i.e. suit, shaven, looking/acting professional. Have examples of teamwork and/or leadership skills and qualities, that's just my opinion now cause this is my first time going for this type of interview...

Alright, I didn't think it was a dress suit type interview , I thought more smart casual dress , maybe I'm way off.

I m just thinking of it as a job interview, before you open your mouth you have to sell yourself in a certain way, clean cut and wearing a suit would say a lot....i'm shaving off the aul beard too :( hope the sacrifice pays off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

I reckon smart casual - slacks and not jeans, shirt and not t-shirt/sweatshirt - is the way to go. Probably not going to wear the old full monkey suit though.

Chonghaile's bit about prepping examples of teamwork and leadership skills is on the money - this was mentioned at the open day. They also said that having an example of how you might try to resolve a conflict might come up.

Looking forward to this now. As/when we get through, it's just the Garda vetting and medical to get through.

One question for anyone who might know: They said at the open day that they expected the medicals to be done by the end of January 2015. If that's the case, do you reckon we'll get to be inducted, get uniform, and begin weekly training *before* the FTT this Summer? Or do we only get to start training *at* the FTT? (Obviously, I'd love to get started sooner rather than later).

I reckon we'll be inducted, get uniform, and begin weekly training before the FTT this Summer. We would have to be familiar with the admin side of things, foot drills, preparation, following orders etc. not to mention keep our fitness levels up (or increase them) before going on FTT

Same as that, get stuck in sooner rather than later!!

Lads I wouldn't set anything in stone and go by the dates or times they say.

• Advertisement

Is it realistic to say that if we get through everything after the interview we could be inducted around April/May though? Or could we be left waiting around for a bit?

Advertisement