Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Forces Recruitment 2015 **Update!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gg1305

There's usually FTT around Easter, so they may hurry up and get us in before then, or they could also wait till after?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kirm2

Lads we applied for the RDF in March and started training in October. There's very little concrete information given in that time and it's just basically a waiting game to be told what you're doing. That being said, it's worth the wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Chonghaile85

@Kirm2

Can you decide straight away which where you wat to go e.g. Cavalry, Transport etc. or is this too also a waiting game before that deceision can be made?

I'm interested in joing the cav....

@Kirm2

Can you decide straight away which where you wat to go e.g. Cavalry, Transport etc. or is this too also a waiting game before that deceision can be made?

I'm interested in joing the cav....

To be honest I don't know. When I applied online in March I chose my option on the online form so I'm not sure which way it was done this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Kirm2 wrote: »
    To be honest I don't know. When I applied online in March I chose my option on the online form so I'm not sure which way it was done this time.

Do we not all do the same thing until we pass out as 3 stars and then choose what we want to focus on - cav, MP etc

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

rizzee wrote: »
    Do we not all do the same thing until we pass out as 3 stars and then choose what we want to focus on - cav, MP etc

No. My understanding is that the system of recruitment has now gone back to joining a particular unit. Although the system of application processing remains centralised.

It may be that the recruit camps will be shared among units. But as soon as you pass vetting you should be able to start attending training with your parent unit.

No. My understanding is that the system of recruitment has now gone back to joining a particular unit. Although the system of application processing remains centralised.

It may be that the recruit camps will be shared among units. But as soon as you pass vetting you should be able to start attending training with your parent unit.

Oh right, thanks. I'm with the current unit that started in October and haven't heard anything about splitting yet, it's all about getting the basics and passing out as 2 stars asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Stupid question about the 2 and 3 stars...

Is it that when you get attested and start weekly training - but before the FTT - you're a 2 star and then when you've done your first FTT, then you're a 3 star? Or is it that you're not a 3 star until you've done a year/2nd FTT or something?

Or could someone explain that one to me?

EGOSHEA wrote: »

Is it that when you get attested and start weekly training - but before the FTT - you're a 2 star and then when you've done your first FTT, then you're a 3 star? Or is it that you're not a 3 star until you've done a year/2nd FTT or something?

As a rule you graduate to 2-star after your first "recruit camp" (FTT) and graduate to 3-star after your second camp the following year.

EGOSHEA wrote: »

Nope when you're attested etc you're still a Recruit, even after having done the 2 week FTT you must clock up an amount of hours, get trained in various things from weapons and drills in order to pass out as a 2 star. Also there's another fitness test - I'm not sure whether that has to do with becoming a 2 star or just a yearly one that has to be done? Maybe someone could clear that up.

• Advertisement

rizzee wrote: »

I chose infantry, but then I applied for pdf too so maybe I'm mixing them up

Did the interview this Saturday at Cathal Brugha - well done to everyone else there on the day.

Was anyone told when we might expect to hear back about whether we passed or not? (The officers I spoke with said that the medicals for successful applicants would occur late-January to early-February 2015).

Had the interview Saturday as well, happy with the way it went, no pressure/stress involved. Made up my mind between the infantry and cav aswell, sticking with the infantry...provided I get in of course :)

Can anyone point out any main differences between Cathal Brugha and McKee barracks, apart from the location? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭janet1989

Is anyone doing the fitness test in Renmore baracks, Galway next Saturday/Sunday?

Quick question lads and ladies, what is the pass/fail parameters for the hearing test? Is it quite strict or is there any leeway?? I know its H1 but some sites ive been checking say above 20db is a fail or above 30db is a fail....any takers?

janet1989 wrote: »
    Is anyone doing the fitness test in Renmore baracks, Galway next Saturday/Sunday?

"Break a leg" anyone thats going for it this weekend in Renmore. Remember to pay careful attention to the instructions for the sit-ups. They are not standard sit-ups do exactly what you have been told.

"Break a leg" anyone thats going for it this weekend in Renmore. Remember to pay careful attention to the instructions for the sit-ups. They are not standard sit-ups do exactly what you have been told.
    Is the 1.5 mile run really 1.5 miles? Where exactly does it take place?

Is the 1.5 mile run really 1.5 miles? Where exactly does it take place?

The run for the in service assessment is longer -2 miles. That is done running a route along Lough Atalia. I dont know if they are using the same place for the recruit assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I was at the Renmore assessments on Sunday. Fairly high standard overall. Majority of people passed the test.

As for FTT, it'll probably be on over the summer for those applying in Galway.
    The run for the in service assessment is longer -2 miles. That is done running a route along Lough Atalia. I dont know if they are using the same place for the recruit assessment.

The assessment run is Lough Atalia as well, it just starts closer to the Huntsman (outside the DoD building instead of in the cul-de-sac)
    Quick question lads and ladies, what is the pass/fail parameters for the hearing test? Is it quite strict or is there any leeway?? I know its H1 but some sites ive been checking say above 20db is a fail or above 30db is a fail....any takers?

Best bet is to call Specsavers and get a free hearing test done. I was worried about my hearing but they tested me and told me I'd nothing to worry about.

I will have my interview in Galway for the RDF next months. What questions other than teamwork and resilience should I know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭brennan10

I will have my interview in Galway for the RDF next months. What questions other than teamwork and resilience should I know?

Went through the interview earlier in the year. Have a look back to page 8 onwards for other people's perceptions of the process. It'll give you an idea of what's involved on the day. Hope this helps...

I did the interview very recently (though in Dublin). In addition to experiences of teamwork, I was asked what my motivation was for joining - I think they also asked about any examples of leadership involved too. We were also advised at the open day (prior to the interview) to be ready to answer how - in basic terms - we might handle a conflict (interpersonal that is; not a fire fight! ).

All the best on the day.

I did the interview last year in Galway: interviewed by an RDF officer, a PDF officer and a senior RDF NCO. It'll probably be the same in Galway this year.

You'll head in and be asked to fill out a form detailing your achievements: education, work experience, times you succeeded etc. Then you'll head in for the interview.

You'll get questions like when have you shown resilience, teamwork, a time you resolved a conflict and why you want to join. Talk about team sports and don't give any batshít insane answers and you'll be grand. Apparently it's very hard to fail the interview but it can be done. Unless you come across as a complete tool, you won't have any trouble.

Lockstep wrote: »
    I did the interview last year in Galway: interviewed by an RDF officer, a PDF officer and a senior RDF NCO. It'll probably be the same in Galway this year.

You'll head in and be asked to fill out a form detailing your achievements: education, work experience, times you succeeded etc. Then you'll head in for the interview.

You'll get questions like when have you shown resilience, teamwork, a time you resolved a conflict and why you want to join. Talk about team sports and don't give any batshít insane answers and you'll be grand. Apparently it's very hard to fail the interview but it can be done. Unless you come across as a complete tool, you won't have any trouble.
    How come its so easy to get in? If they have to interview 100 people, are you saying that nearly every one of them will get in? I cant understand the lack of interest. Only 15 people applied in Cliften for 20 vanances! Maybe it was just poorly advertised. The Garda reserves get a surplus of applicants.

How come its so easy to get in? If they have to interview 100 people, are you saying that nearly every one of them will get in? I cant understand the lack of interest. Only 15 people applied in Cliften for 20 vanances! Maybe it was just poorly advertised. The Garda reserves get a surplus of applicants.

It's not 'easy' to get in. You have to pass medical, fitness and background checks as well as pass the interview. The interview can be failed but as long as you come across like a mature and sensible person, you shouldn't have any problems. That said, I dunno how many people they're looking for in Galway so it might be stricter this year. I'm not a member of C Company (Clifden) so can't speak for them or their recruitment system.

DUnno what it's like this year but when I applied, there was a lot of interest/applications but few people who got through everything. I'm guessing this was to do with the length of the application process so a lot of people simply lost interest along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Illeatyourface

I have a retest tomorrow in Collins Barracks but can't make it now due to work, anyone happen to know if there is another date?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

I failed the fitness test in Aiken Barracks a couple of weeks ago, and decided that it might be time to focus on something else for a while and maybe go back to join the RDF in a few years.

However, during the week I received an email giving me a time and date for interview.

I was since in touch with a friend who has a high rank in the PDF. He informed me that due to policy not being changed (will be changed fully in July) the fitness "test" is in fact an assessment and will not be used to disqualify a candidate from the competition. Only PDF recruitment have a pass/ fail for the test.

Can someone ranked in the RDF please confirm/ elaborate on this?

EDIT: Obviously the fail in the test would have a bearing on the overall outcome of the interview I'd imagine, if what was said above is true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

I would have thought the fitness was pass/fail. If you fail then that is that. Likewise with the interview.
    However I know that in some places recruits who failed the interview were allowed in.
    Now how you fail an interview to be a volunteer is beyond me.

Anyone have any info on when those who are have passed most recent fitness test and interview at Cathal Brugha (before Christmas) might hear about the medical date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gg1305

A little birdie told me they'll be starting in St Bricins in February, didn't get any particular dates, just that they're starting for RDF then.

Advertisement