Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Forces Recruitment 2015 **Update!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Lynchy747 wrote: »
    I failed the fitness test in Aiken Barracks a couple of weeks ago, and decided that it might be time to focus on something else for a while and maybe go back to join the RDF in a few years.

However, during the week I received an email giving me a time and date for interview.

I was since in touch with a friend who has a high rank in the PDF. He informed me that due to policy not being changed (will be changed fully in July) the fitness "test" is in fact an assessment and will not be used to disqualify a candidate from the competition. Only PDF recruitment have a pass/ fail for the test.

Can someone ranked in the RDF please confirm/ elaborate on this?

EDIT: Obviously the fail in the test would have a bearing on the overall outcome of the interview I'd imagine, if what was said above is true?

That's very strange. I was at RDF fitness assessment and while most of those who failed to pass it were invited to do a retest, a few failed so badly that they weren't invited for the retest and are out of the competition.

Likewise, when I did the fitness test for the RDF last year, a couple of friends of mine failed the fitness test and didn't get any further.

As for fitness tests once you're sworn in the RDF, we got the harder fitness test during the recruit camp (the exact same as for the PDF) and we're being tested again for 2015 in a few weeks. Nowadays, the fitness and shooting standards for the RDF are the same as for the PDF.

I'm only a private in the RDF (not an officer) but we were always told that we need to pass the fitness test to pass recruit camp and then every year in order to stay in the RDF. It makes no sense to invite people who fail the fitness assessment as if they can't do 20 push ups/sit ups and a 1.5 mile run, they're really going to struggle with the annual fitness test which is even harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Chonghaile85

Morning all,

I just got confirmation for my medical on the 24/01. It advised me not to listen to any loud music including iPod etc. for at 72 hours beforehand.

Is the hearing test also being done on this day?

Thanks in advance....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

most likely yes. take the advice - thats from experience. avoid pubs and clubs the weekend before - or else wear hearing protection!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

you must pass the fitness test to be recruited.

A seperate set of testss, for currently serving members only was recently introduced - these are a different set of requirements to the recruit fitness test which you did. these are ANNUAL fitness tests for current members - as its a new requirement for already serving members, weve been told that if we fail one of these we get a reprieve / retest / dont have to pass (personally i disagree and wish they would cull those who dont pass these tests). Thankfully from later this year or early NEXT year onwards it will be pass or fail for currently serving members just like it is for recruits.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭janet1989

I was told by the RDF recruiter on the phone that I wear strong casual clothes to the interview. Will everyone be wearing formal ie; suit and tie? I can't imagine anyone turning up in jeans.

• Advertisement

@janet1989

I recommend going smart casual anyway. Few lads turned up at the interview in CB in jeans, t-shirt, etc. That's not to say they didnt do well in the interview but if you think of it like any job interview, you have to present yourself in a professional manner so your appearance would factor into this in my opinion.

@janet1989

I recommend going smart casual anyway. Few lads turned up at the interview in CB in jeans, t-shirt, etc. That's not to say they didnt do well in the interview but if you think of it like any job interview, you have to present yourself in a professional manner so your appearance would factor into this in my opinion.
    I think I will go formal. He did say alright not to turn up in tracksuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

Lockstep wrote: »
    That's very strange. I was at RDF fitness assessment and while most of those who failed to pass it were invited to do a retest, a few failed so badly that they weren't invited for the retest and are out of the competition.

Likewise, when I did the fitness test for the RDF last year, a couple of friends of mine failed the fitness test and didn't get any further.

As for fitness tests once you're sworn in the RDF, we got the harder fitness test during the recruit camp (the exact same as for the PDF) and we're being tested again for 2015 in a few weeks. Nowadays, the fitness and shooting standards for the RDF are the same as for the PDF.

I'm only a private in the RDF (not an officer) but we were always told that we need to pass the fitness test to pass recruit camp and then every year in order to stay in the RDF. It makes no sense to invite people who fail the fitness assessment as if they can't do 20 push ups/sit ups and a 1.5 mile run, they're really going to struggle with the annual fitness test which is even harder.

Yes, it seems illogical. It was a mistake in the RDF database apparently. I emailed the Recruiter for more information, and he confirmed this. Cheers for all the responses nonetheless. Best of luck to all of you with interviews and medicals coming up!

I went to specsavers and got the free hearing test done, one ear is above average, the other however dipped one time to 40db at 3k, I read that H1 in both ears means that you must be able to hear all frequencies from 500 to 8000k at 30db max, above this is not classed as H1.....would this mean an automatic fail at the army hearing test?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

I failed the test THREE times and eventually got it.

1st time I was at a gig two days before it... 2nd and 3rd were held on a different day and still failed, then i tried keeping away from TV and music before it and bought some ear cleaning solution stuff in the chemist and on the 3rd day I was there for my 4th test (they were fairly generous letting me redo it again!) and passed with flying colours. If in doubt click the button a few extra times on the test.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if I will fail the medical if I have a lazy right eye? My optician said I probably will.
    Also I heard the medical takes place in Cork and that they will bring us there. Will we all be staying the night down there?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Got my email invitation for the medical in Bricin's on February 9th. Anyone else get theirs yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gg1305

Did anyone get an email to say that the medical scheduled for the 24th was cancelled??
    Just finding it odd as I never got an email for a date yet?

janet1989 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I will fail the medical if I have a lazy right eye? My optician said I probably will.
    Also I heard the medical takes place in Cork and that they will bring us there. Will we all be staying the night down there?

I dunno if they're strict on lazy eyes or not.

When I did the medical in Cork, they had someone drive us down and back. We didn't need to stay over, it was all done fairly fast.

@gg1305

Mine got cancelled for the 24th as well, dont remember getting any cancellation just an email the day before saying my assessment was now Wednesday 4th March???

Yeah same as, I wonder if the "unforseen circumstances" were that someone forgot to send out the email with our date?? I got the Monday 2nd so a quiet weekend for me !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Illeatyourface

We got dates this eve for weekend training in march, april, may and june. Also the date for the two week recruit camp. As fortune has it, I can only make one of the weekends and cant make the recruit camp. Is there anyone here with rdf experience that could honestly tell me if Ill be wasting my time with it if I cant make these. The weekly nights are no hassle. Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

We got dates this eve for weekend training in march, april, may and june. Also the date for the two week recruit camp. As fortune has it, I can only make one of the weekends and cant make the recruit camp. Is there anyone here with rdf experience that could honestly tell me if Ill be wasting my time with it if I cant make these. The weekly nights are no hassle. Thanks.

Long story short we dont know ourselves. What I would point out is that, last year, somebody in an office decided all RDF recruiting would be centralised. To an extent that fell on its face and now recruiting has gone back to the units. Now somebody in an office has decided that after putting volunteers through medicals, garda vetting, and fitness tests you get one shot a year at full time recruit training.........

Sometimes you've just got to let certain people in offices learn certain realities for themselves.

So your parent unit if they are any good will make an effort to work with you via weeknights etc. Give it a go keep up your side of the commitment and hopefully eventually reality will catch up with the bureaucracy.

Are the dates referred to above (#858) referring to recruits of the 2nd brigade?

The reason I ask is because - even though I have my medical scheduled at Bricin's for February 9th - I've received no such dates for training (presumably because I'm not yet accepted until the medical and security clearance is passed). It'd be handy for me to know when FTT will be held though because I could plan one or two other things this Summer around the 2-week period involved.

If the above dates do refer to FTT for 2nd brigade, can you post these here (or PM me) - unless this isn't allowed on this forum, of course?

No EgoShea, these are for 1st Brigade.

• Advertisement

Long story short we dont know ourselves. What I would point out is that, last year, somebody in an office decided all RDF recruiting would be centralised. To an extent that fell on its face and now recruiting has gone back to the units. Now somebody in an office has decided that after putting volunteers through medicals, garda vetting, and fitness tests you get one shot a year at full time recruit training.........

Sometimes you've just got to let certain people in offices learn certain realities for themselves.

So your parent unit if they are any good will make an effort to work with you via weeknights etc. Give it a go keep up your side of the commitment and hopefully eventually reality will catch up with the bureaucracy.

Cheers for this. Hopefully it works out.

I got a date for my medical. I'm not too sure if I should bother going cause I'm sure I am going to fail the eyesight test. I have double vision as a result of a squint. Can anyone confirm that I am going to fail or is the RDF medical less strict than the PDF?

janet1989 wrote: »
    I got a date for my medical. I'm not too sure if I should bother going cause I'm sure I am going to fail the eyesight test. I have double vision as a result of a squint. Can anyone confirm that I am going to fail or is the RDF medical less strict than the PDF?
    Hi Janet. Just did my own medical the other day. The vision tests did seem to involve one part which tests coordination of both eyes. But I don't know if that would result in you failing. Put it this way: if you're interested in joining the rdf, do you have anything to lose by going along on the day? At least you'll have given it your best shot having gotten this far. Just my two cents

@EGOSHEA

How did you find the medical overall?
    Was it extremely thorough?
    My main concern I think would be the hearing test and also haven't had bloods done in years so God knows what sort of tropical diseases I've caught!! That and the incomprehensible fear of needles!!

gg1305 wrote: »
    @EGOSHEA

How did you find the medical overall?
    Was it extremely thorough?
    My main concern I think would be the hearing test and also haven't had bloods done in years so God knows what sort of tropical diseases I've caught!! That and the incomprehensible fear of needles!!

The medical was pretty thorough. If it's okay to describe here (mods edit if required), it included:

Filling out a number of forms concerning past/present medical conditions.
    Providing a urine sample.
    ECG (an electrocardiograph; 12 little electrodes attached to your chest in different places in order to assess your heartbeat over a short period of time, about 30 seconds).
    Hearing test (headphones in a booth, pressing a button any time you heard tones of various pitch; about 5 minutes long).
    A vision test (reading lines of letters; gauging depth; assessing 'straightness'/integration of both eyes; colour-blindness test).
    Blood pressure.
    Blood test (one injection but a number of little viles of blood collected).
    An actual meeting with a doctor (strip off, walk back and forth across the floor - presumably to observe basic gait and absence of fallen arches, more questions which you already answered on the earlier forms, drop the jocks and cough - ahem!, and then asking about smoking, current rates of exercise, etc).

Strangest question here was probably: "Do you know you'll have to be fit doing this? You'll have to go off up into the mountains for a week at a time?" (I'm reasonably fit, look reasonably fit, and have a BMI of about 22 but I guess they have to 'warn' you about the demands and such - fair enough).

Re: hearing test - don't go to pubs, nightclubs, etc, for a few days before the medical. iPods too. If you have a tendency to a fair bit of wax in your easr, think about getting them syringed beforehand.

Bloods: Don't worry about it. You're very unlikely to have tropical diseases (!) and sure if you did, this is a free way to find out. ;)

Fear of needles: They'll have you lying down for this anyway, but if you've a history of/concern about feeling faint or passing out, tense your leg and arm muscles before and during the blood being taken - it's a technique which keeps your blood flowing and pressure high enough not to pass out - same principle as jet fighter pilots who do the same in flight to avoid losing consciousness. In any event, it really doesn't hurt at all - tiny little pinch is all.

Wow cheers that was quite a comprehensive answer!!
    Better bring an extra pair of socks for the walk About in the undies!! :P
    They'll have to strap me down for the bloods, as I'm quite likely to run away like a little girl!!
    Fingers crossed the rest will be ok, but I've a bit of a wait for the test now!!

gg1305 wrote: »
    Wow cheers that was quite a comprehensive answer!!
    Better bring an extra pair of socks for the walk About in the undies!! :P
    They'll have to strap me down for the bloods, as I'm quite likely to run away like a little girl!!
    Fingers crossed the rest will be ok, but I've a bit of a wait for the test now!!

'Strap you down for the bloods'?! Jaysus...you better never get shot (though in the Reserve, that's fairly unlikely). ;)

You'll be grand, buddy. The nurses are sound - less pain that getting a pinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

I'd just like to point out that recruiting has not gone back to the units. Well, not in my location anyway and my friends say it hasn't either in other places.

Do any of you know of anyone who failed the medical. If so, what part?

• Advertisement

Yeah, friend of mine failed the eye test. Another failed the hearing.

Advertisement