Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Forces Recruitment 2015 **Update!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mike923

Hello,

I had my medical on the 9th of February and have not received any correspondence since. Does that mean I haven't made the cut? My friend received an email saying he was unsuccessful about a week ago.

Kind regards,
    Michael

----

Dear Michael,

The medical results can take some time to be processed. Candidates will be updated as soon as the information is available.

Thank you for your query.

Naval Service Recruitment Office

---
    I also sent another email to the NSR branch and they said at this stage it means we've more than likely passes everything and are just waiting on a few factors like budget and numbers before getting back to us. As I said before a buddy of mine has already been contacted saying he was unsuccessful

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

I've recently started training in the RDF and am taking an EMT course now also. Can anyone here who's an EMT/medic in the RDF - or who otherwise knows a bit about same - provide any information/opinions on the following? (I'm thinking of applying to become one as/when I start my continuation training).

1. With the re-org of both the RDF and the Medical Corps more specifically, how are medics assigned to units? i.e. I'll be training in Cathal Brugha and would like to end up being based here if possible - does this ever happen or are all Dublin-based medics located at St. Bricin's unless attached to a unit only for specific trainings/events?

2. If I do become a medic, I'll most likely be relying on this to make up my CPC patient contacts - won't have time to join another voluntary org for this purpose because I work and have a family also. Is this feasible or do medics not see much patient contacts in the RDF? (I really want to make use of the EMT training).

3. Do medics still get to take part in most basic types of training such as range practice (other than just once yearly), tactical and weapons training, etc - or do they end up focused purely on the medical duties? I ask because the aforementioned training was one of the main reasons I joined the RDF in the first place.

4. Any other opinions/suggestions/experiences RDF medics here might share in helping me to make this decision?

Thanks for any input anyone can provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Have you gotten confirmation that your civilian EMT qualification will be recognised by the Army? There are a tonne of guys in the DF who completed very expensive EMT training in civvy street to be basically told by the Army/NS/AC that their quallfication is not worth the paper its written on as far as the army is concerned. Thats how thing currently stand in the PDF so id imagine its the same for you guys.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Have you gotten confirmation that your civilian EMT qualification will be recognised by the Army? There are a tonne of guys in the DF who completed very expensive EMT training in civvy street to be basically told by the Army/NS/AC that their quallfication is not worth the paper its written on as far as the army is concerned. Thats how thing currently stand in the PDF so id imagine its the same for you guys.

Hey John, thanks for the response.

No, I haven't anything in writing - indeed, as I've just recently begun training, it's not something I've looked into officially yet. For what it's worth (which may be very little) I had been told by a number of people - some of whom would be involved in training on both my EMT course as well as at the DF Medical School - that only EMTs (and upwards) have any chance these days of being accepted as medics. Of course, that doesn't guarantee anything. But it also gives the impression on the website of the Irish Society of Military Medicine that people with existing EMT/Paramedic/AP quals might be accepted. So nothing's for certain.

If it comes to it, I'll find another way of using the EMT training if I must. Maybe through the Irish Red Cross as I already do some other work for them.

*If* I was eligible to become a medic and did so, do you have any views on some of those other questions I asked, by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    3. Do medics still get to take part in most basic types of training such as range practice (other than just once yearly), tactical and weapons training, etc - or do they end up focused purely on the medical duties? I ask because the aforementioned training was one of the main reasons I joined the RDF in the first place.

My understanding is that RDF Medics do NOT do any shooting or tactical training other than their recruit & 2-3* training. No shooting at all. The tactical training consists of operating as a medic in the tactical environment - ie, not much. Simulated casualties are about as far as it goes.

• Advertisement

Doctor14 wrote: »
    My understanding is that RDF Medics do NOT do any shooting or tactical training other than their recruit & 2-3* training. No shooting at all. The tactical training consists of operating as a medic in the tactical environment - ie, not much. Simulated casualties are about as far as it goes.

Thanks for that, Doctor14. Definitely worth me considering this given some of my interests. Looks like RDF and Red Cross at the same time may be on the horizon. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

I've recently started training in the RDF and am taking an EMT course now also. Can anyone here who's an EMT/medic in the RDF - or who otherwise knows a bit about same - provide any information/opinions on the following? (I'm thinking of applying to become one as/when I start my continuation training).

1. With the re-org of both the RDF and the Medical Corps more specifically, how are medics assigned to units? i.e. I'll be training in Cathal Brugha and would like to end up being based here if possible - does this ever happen or are all Dublin-based medics located at St. Bricin's unless attached to a unit only for specific trainings/events?

2. If I do become a medic, I'll most likely be relying on this to make up my CPC patient contacts - won't have time to join another voluntary org for this purpose because I work and have a family also. Is this feasible or do medics not see much patient contacts in the RDF? (I really want to make use of the EMT training).

4. Any other opinions/suggestions/experiences RDF medics here might share in helping me to make this decision?

Thanks for any input anyone can provide.

I can't answer a lot of you're questions but bit of info I have is the PDF have been putting a lot of money into training the last two or 3 National ambulance service student paramedic classes have had defences forces members on them so they are training there medics as phecc paramedics they did have EMTs so them guys I think now are the ones going for paramedic training but I'm sure you're EMT will help when applying

Also I'm sure army medics and garda ERU would be doing what's known as EMT BTEC see here http://www.phecit.ie/PHECC/Publications_and_Resources/Newsletters/Newsletter_Itmes/Winter_2014/Introducing_PHECC_BTEC_courses.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭janet1989

Have my attestation next week. Is there a dress code for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Chonghaile85

still waiting for mine :(

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭janet1989

still waiting for mine :(
    Mine is in Galway. I was told that we are the first batch to be sworn in. The other batch will get an email next week, that's if your in Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Chonghaile85

Good stuff. In Dublin meself, just have to wait out.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gg1305

Good stuff. In Dublin meself, just have to wait out.

I'm Dublin too, there's already been a platoon taken in, I had all sorts of hassle with bloods, but hopefully it's sorted and well be taken in very soon!

gg1305 wrote: »
    I'm Dublin too, there's already been a platoon taken in, I had all sorts of hassle with bloods, but hopefully it's sorted and well be taken in very soon!

Jesus, lads - I hope they take ye both in soon. We're starting to do foot drill at the moment and handing in our sizes for uniform next week - breaking into sections next week also.

Ye've probably done this already but get on to 7th Btn about this if you can - we had a few more guys sworn in a week or two after the main group (myself included) were sworn in. All the best with it.

janet1989 wrote: »

No dress code, Janet. Most people on my night showed up in jeans or even tracksuits (I'd go with jeans/trousers myself).

They even (good-naturedly) took the piss out of a fella who showed up in a full suit on the night. ;)

Jesus, lads - I hope they take ye both in soon. We're starting to do foot drill at the moment and handing in our sizes for uniform next week - breaking into sections next week also.

Ye've probably done this already but get on to 7th Btn about this if you can - we had a few more guys sworn in a week or two after the main group (myself included) were sworn in. All the best with it.

Yeah I've been hassling them again about my medical results, was told it would be sorted at the end of last week but here I still am!

At this rate I'll be a resident in haulbowline before I get near the RDF!!
    Hoping for a this to be sorted though I could do with learning foot drill!! Haha

Yeah I've been hassling them again about my medical results, was told it would be sorted at the end of last week but here I still am!

Hoping for a this to be sorted though I could do with learning foot drill!! Haha

On the face of it, foot drill looks easy as f*ck. But when you actually start trying to do it in unison with everyone else and with the orders being barked at short notice, you end up feeling like a clutz! (I do, anyway). Very satisfying to start getting it right, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Looking forward to welcoming the Galway lads. Our 2-3 star camp will be on at the same time/place as your recruit training in Kilworth apparently.

janet1989 wrote: »

Is this for the NSR?

Same boat as yourself by the sounds of it!

Finally got my attestation notice for Wednesday night, thank God that waiting is over!

• Advertisement

Finally got my attestation notice for Wednesday night, thank God that waiting is over!

Were you army or navy?

mike923 wrote: »
    Were you army or navy?

Army man, sorry my last post was a bit confusing, I've applied for the permanent naval service as well

Army man, sorry my last post was a bit confusing, I've applied for the permanent naval service as well

Great stuff, well done :)

Think I'll just have to wait it out!

mike923 wrote: »
    Great stuff, well done :)

Think I'll just have to wait it out!

Thanks man, hopefully the NSR get a move on!
    Have you tried contacting their manpower dept??

Well done - good luck with it. Which county are you in?

Well done - good luck with it. Which county are you in?

I'm Dublin,
    CBB

I'm Dublin,
    CBB

Good stuff. I'll probably see you tomorrow evening when you show up for attestation.

They may not have mentioned this to you yet but they want our sizes for uniform tomorrow. In case they ask for yours too (don't see why they wouldn't), have the following sizes written on a piece of paper along with your name ('Recruit [second name], [first name]'):

Trousers (waist and inside leg)
    Shirt size
    T-shirt size
    Shoe size

All the best, buddy.

Good stuff. I'll probably see you tomorrow evening when you show up for attestation.

They may not have mentioned this to you yet but they want our sizes for uniform tomorrow. In case they ask for yours too (don't see why they wouldn't), have the following sizes written on a piece of paper along with your name ('Recruit [second name], [first name]'):

Trousers (waist and inside leg)
    Shirt size
    T-shirt size
    Shoe size

All the best, buddy.

Thanks man yeah you should see me there, I'll bring the info with me just to be safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gun_money

Question I'd ask is do you want medical training or want to apply your training and use external source to keep your skills up to date?

If it is medical training then a medical unit is suitable.

If you want to put into practice then an Inf/Eng/Cav unit might suit. They spend more time on the ground, drills etc etc so more likely to get injured. That is not to say CIS, NSRor BAR don't all good units as well, but pick an active unit to suit your needs.

To get your EMT qualification accepted by the DF you have to submit your actual cert, not a photocopy.

You will have more hands on, rather than just covering for camp and exercises.

You will still have to do normal training Rec/2* and along with your own gear more than likely have to carry the Pl First Aid bag also.

ESTI do a combat medic training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Doctor14 wrote: »

Yup. I was in the RDF a few years ago and the only time I fired a rifle was on recruit camp (not even on 2-3*). It was boring as hell to be honest.
      I left and rejoined as infantry and have fire multiple times since rejoining. I dunno if they've changed it for medics but it was fairly dull. Even if you're not a medic, you can still do the first aid course (which operated as the 2-3* when I was in it)

If you're an EMT outside of the RDF, I'd imagine you'd be very popular in your unit, especially if you're not a medic.

Advertisement