Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Forces Recruitment 2015 **Update!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Lockstep wrote: »

Yup. I was in the RDF a few years ago and the only time I fired a rifle was on recruit camp (not even on 2-3*). It was boring as hell to be honest.
      I left and rejoined as infantry and have fire multiple times since rejoining. I dunno if they've changed it for medics but it was fairly dull. Even if you're not a medic, you can still do the first aid course (which operated as the 2-3* when I was in it)

If you're an EMT outside of the RDF, I'd imagine you'd be very popular in your unit, especially if you're not a medic.

Yeah, I remember you giving me some advice on that before, thanks. Thinking I won't be going down the medic route, then - sure one of the reasons I was joining was to get some experience of shooting, weapons training, tactics, etc.

1. Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Gun_money wrote: »
      Question I'd ask is do you want medical training or want to apply your training and use external source to keep your skills up to date?

If it is medical training then a medical unit is suitable.

If you want to put into practice then an Inf/Eng/Cav unit might suit. They spend more time on the ground, drills etc etc so more likely to get injured. That is not to say CIS, NSRor BAR don't all good units as well, but pick an active unit to suit your needs.

To get your EMT qualification accepted by the DF you have to submit your actual cert, not a photocopy.

You will have more hands on, rather than just covering for camp and exercises.

You will still have to do normal training Rec/2* and along with your own gear more than likely have to carry the Pl First Aid bag also.

ESTI do a combat medic training.

Thanks, Gun Money. Once I've the EMT done, I can't go much further with training through the DF (other than B-TEC through ESTI, like you say).

So are you saying that if I join, say, Cav (which I had been thinking of), then I might end up being able to carry first aid bag, use some of the EMT skills and knowledge, but still be part of a weapons training corps such as Cav is? That sounds the business, then.

I'll keep my CPC for the EMT registration going with Red Cross, I'd say, and get the head down in an infantry or Cav unit. Sounds good and thanks again.

2. Registered Users Posts: 1 Jduff

Recently passed the medical for the RDF back in February, still have no word on attestation date, iv been told I'm awaiting security clearance, but surly it can't take that long, supposedly the 2 week camp in June, doesn't leave much time to organise time off work!

3. Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

EGOSHEA wrote: »
      So are you saying that if I join, say, Cav (which I had been thinking of), then I might end up being able to carry first aid bag, use some of the EMT skills and knowledge, but still be part of a weapons training corps such as Cav is? That sounds the business, then.

In my experience, no.

If you are not an army certified medic, then you will not be allowed do anything medical beyond the basic first aid that everyone does. Makes not difference what your civvy qualifications are. The Army Medical Corps are very territorial and don't like qualifying anyone outside their own Corps in anything.

It is likely you will not get any recognition of your civvy quals UNLESS you are in the Medics. And without that recognition, they will not even allow you to even apply a plaster without supervision.

4. Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Doctor14 wrote: »
      In my experience, no.

If you are not an army certified medic, then you will not be allowed do anything medical beyond the basic first aid that everyone does. Makes not difference what your civvy qualifications are. The Army Medical Corps are very territorial and don't like qualifying anyone outside their own Corps in anything.

It is likely you will not get any recognition of your civvy quals UNLESS you are in the Medics. And without that recognition, they will not even allow you to even apply a plaster without supervision.

Hmm...they're really making the best of the RDF, I see. ;)

I'll just apply for something else and work my medic stuff elsewhere.

5. Advertisement
    6. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Hmm...they're really making the best of the RDF, I see. ;)

I'll just apply for something else and work my medic stuff elsewhere.

I would not take it personally (I have 12 years served in mountain rescue but its of no interest to the pdf). I used to serve with another RDF infantry nco who was an intensive care nurse in the outside world and who would have been in the same boat recognition-wise.

It is not just an issue with medical/first aid skills but with most skills.

Historically, the defence forces have studiously ignored the civilian skills of reservists.

I suspect that its because, if some of them were forced to acknowledge what they were sitting on, then they would find it fundamentally threatening at a personal level. A proportion of the PDF seem to get some kind of personal validation from being able to "look down" on the RDF. Removing that by recognising various RDF skillsets might put some of them in an uncomfortable place.

Says more about them than about the RDF.

7. Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

For what it is worth and to agree with what Doc14 has said, before the 2012/13 re-org, we had a number of Dublin Fire Brigade Pers in our [Infantry]company and they couldn't do as much as put a plaster on us because despite being the people that show up when you call 999 (or 112 if you are so inclined) they hadn't learned how to put plasters on the way the Defences Forces want to put plasters on so it'd certainly be worth getting checked out before you set your sights on anything.

8. Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

I would not take it personally (I have 12 years served in mountain rescue but its of no interest to the pdf). I used to serve with another RDF infantry nco who was an intensive care nurse in the outside world and who would have been in the same boat recognition-wise.

It is not just an issue with medical/first aid skills but with most skills.

Historically, the defence forces have studiously ignored the civilian skills of reservists.

I suspect that its because, if some of them were forced to acknowledge what they were sitting on, then they would find it fundamentally threatening at a personal level. A proportion of the PDF seem to get some kind of personal validation from being able to "look down" on the RDF. Removing that by recognising various RDF skillsets might put some of them in an uncomfortable place.

Says more about them than about the RDF.

I agree completely - and I certainly don't take it personally.

I also offered my services (free of charge) previously in relation to a civilian profession in which I'm involved. Those I spoke with seemed personally interested but, organisationally, the idea just petered out in the end.

Though I've no intention whatsoever of 'jumping ship' from the RDF now that I'm in, I couldn't help but be interested recently from some inquiries I made with the RAF. I'd never known that an Irish national could not only apply to join immediately (without waiting the usual non-UK/-Irish 5 years of UK residency) - but said Irish national can also serve as a reservist in the RAF whilst still living in the Rep. of Ireland. Got me thinking - perhaps in addition to the RDF as I have travelled to Belfast and the UK quite regularly over the past few years also. Without getting too Walt about the whole thing, the prospect of serving as both an RDF private as well as RAF medic (with a possible tour also after the first year) holds serious appeal to me.

9. Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭danube

I just recently got attested for the RDF. We were told that the 2 week camp will be in July. Can anyone give me some info on this and what it exactly entails so I can start to prepare?

10. Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭danube

I was in the first 12 out of 56 people to get security clearance last week. The other are still waiting. You should hear within the next two week so I am told.

11. Advertisement
    12. Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

danube wrote: »
      I just recently got attested for the RDF. We were told that the 2 week camp will be in July. Can anyone give me some info on this and what it exactly entails so I can start to prepare?

Final two weeks in July to be blocked off by us.

Advice to us was to work on fitness (more of whatever you did for the intake fitness test). I think there are some other forums/threads in 'Military' which provide more detailed advice on fitness, etc. Other than that, we're just going to attend and do our best at weekly parade - also, try and get out on as many trainings days/weekends as possible before FTT.

13. Registered Users Posts: 1 Mk_96

Hi all,

Im 18 years old and was thinking about joining the RDF.
      Im currently living in Dublin but i will be moving to Galway next year for college and have a couple of questions about joining the RDF.

Is there an RDF unit based in Galway city?

What is the commitment like (days per week) ?

Is it paying or voluntary?

What do you do in Training?

Any and all info would be appreciated
      Thanks

14. Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Mk_96 wrote: »
      Hi all,

Im 18 years old and was thinking about joining the RDF.
      Im currently living in Dublin but i will be moving to Galway next year for college and have a couple of questions about joining the RDF.

Is there an RDF unit based in Galway city?

What is the commitment like (days per week) ?

Is it paying or voluntary?

What do you do in Training?

Any and all info would be appreciated
      Thanks

There is a unit based out of Galway.

You train one evening per week (2.5 hours). You'll also train over about seven weekends each year (and you can put yourself forward for more training if you like). There's a full-time training (FTT) camp over two weeks (residential) each Summer.

You're not paid for weekly parade but you are for some of the other training (including the FTT).

You can find this - and info about what training involves - on the Reserve page of the official website: www.military.ie Check it out.

All the best with it.

15. Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭danube

Does anyone know if Reserves are allowed to stay overnight in the barracks after evening training nights? I live 15 miles from my barracks and there is no bus service after 6:00pm. Taxi is going to cost a fortune.

16. Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

Does anyone know if Reserves are allowed to stay overnight in the barracks after evening training nights? I live 15 miles from my barracks and there is no bus service after 6:00pm. Taxi is going to cost a fortune.

Nope, you are on your own after week night training. There is no accommodation provided unless you are on full time training. Have you asked around if anyone is driving the same direction, and do you not think that it might have been something important to checkout before you joined?

17. Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭danube

What happens if we have to miss a day or two during those two weeks to attend something else?

18. Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

You'll do a lot of foot drill, learning about the Steyr and then the fun stuff like tactics and shooting at the end.

You can get time off for important events (like a funeral or something) but they're very strict on this so they don't care about stuff like getting Leaving Cert results.

19. Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭danube

Was told today that by our battalion commander that we are to be issued with black berets instead of green ones next week when we get out kit. He said its to do with the PDF/RDF integration program.

20. Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Was told today that by our battalion commander that we are to be issued with black berets instead of green ones next week when we get out kit. He said its to do with the PDF/RDF integration program.

Yeah, that was announced a few months back alright.

Having recently joined up myself, we'll be getting the black ones as soon as we (eventually!) get our first set of kit. Basically, there will be no (visible, in terms of uniform) differences between the RDF and PDF here on out.

21. Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Basically, there will be no (visible, in terms of uniform) differences between the RDF and PDF here on out.

With exception to the dress uniform. I believe there will be a shoulder patch with "Cultaca" on it.

22. Advertisement
    23. Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

With exception to the dress uniform. I believe there will be a shoulder patch with "Cultaca" on it.

True, yeah, fair enough. I meant the DPMs just.

Speaking of...do all RDF members also get their own dress uniforms issued or are we just lent these as/when needed for occasions, Truffle Pig?

24. Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

True, yeah, fair enough. I meant the DPMs just.

Speaking of...do all RDF members also get their own dress uniforms issued or are we just lent these as/when needed for occasions, Truffle Pig?

I spent 2 years in the FCA and never got a set of #1's.

Not sure what the issue is like now. I know there is a revamp of the dress uniform going on at the moment.

It might push the QM's to issue out the remaining stuff in stores....maybe, maybe not.

It's usually a case of getting issued when needed. Next year is the 100th anniversary of 1916, this may effect issue or non issue of the dress uniform.

I would imagine the RDF will play a big part in it so it's logical to expect all troops to have it issued.

25. Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

I spent 2 years in the FCA and never got a set of #1's.

Not sure what the issue is like now. I know there is a revamp of the dress uniform going on at the moment.

It might push the QM's to issue out the remaining stuff in stores....maybe, maybe not.

It's usually a case of getting issued when needed. Next year is the 100th anniversary of 1916, this may effect issue or non issue of the dress uniform.

I would imagine the RDF will play a big part in it so it's logical to expect all troops to have it issued.

That'll be great if we get issued the dress uniform also. I'm 7 Bn too so there's a good chance we might be involved in the '16 centenary. Can't wait.

26. Registered Users Posts: 43 mike923

gg1305 wrote: »
      Yeah I've been hassling them again about my medical results, was told it would be sorted at the end of last week but here I still am!

At this rate I'll be a resident in haulbowline before I get near the RDF!!
      Hoping for a this to be sorted though I could do with learning foot drill!! Haha

Have you heard anything back yet?

27. Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gg1305

mike923 wrote: »
      Have you heard anything back yet?

Yeah man sorry I got the call up after a fair bit of waiting

28. Registered Users Posts: 43 mike923

gg1305 wrote: »
      Yeah man sorry I got the call up after a fair bit of waiting

Ah good stuff! Was this the NSR yeah?

Haven't heard anything back after my medical in Haulbowline which was months ago.. My buddy was told he failed ages ago! You'd think they would have rang me or something?

29. Registered Users Posts: 43 mike923

Has anybody heard back from the NSR? Had no contact since my medical

30. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

Hi,anyone know where to apply for the rdf in Dublin or am I too late for this year? Can't find a whole of info on the df website.
      Cheers.

31. Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

your observation skills are somewhat lacking, but dont worry, we can improve that for you in the RDF lol
      http://www.military.ie/reserve/want-to-find-out-more/
      try some of these contacts in the link for more information.
      recruitment to RDF is now pretty much the same process as for the PDF
      also what location are you living in - the nearest barracks may have an RDF unit you can drop in to see on a training night.

32. Advertisement
    33. Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Hi,anyone know where to apply for the rdf in Dublin or am I too late for this year? Can't find a whole of info on the df website.
      Cheers.

You can only apply during certain recruitment drives - this may be why you couldn't find where to directly apply on the DF website. To be honest, I don't know whether or not there'll be another drive in 2015.

Advertisement