Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Forces Recruitment 2015 **Update!**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Chonghaile85

Morning all,

Im still patiently waiting (to put it nicely) for security clearance to come back. To give you an idea as to how long I've been waiting, I took the fitness assessment in Cathal Brugha back in November 2014. Medical was March 2015.

I was just onto the recruitment Sgt who has still heard nothing back. Is it a common occurrence to be left waiting this long?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Security clearance is done by the Gardaí so is out of the hands of the DF unfortunately. It can take a long time, im not sure that this is the norm as when i signed up my clearance only took about 8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mike923

Morning all,

Im still patiently waiting (to put it nicely) for security clearance to come back. To give you an idea as to how long I've been waiting, I took the fitness assessment in Cathal Brugha back in November 2014. Medical was March 2015.

I was just onto the recruitment Sgt who has still heard nothing back. Is it a common occurrence to be left waiting this long?

Got an email from the NSR saying they're still waiting on the clearances too. Did my medical for the navy around the same time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

Is it a common occurrence to be left waiting this long?

In the old days it could take a least 6 months - some people could be waiting a year.

Vetting is done according to priority. If you are working with children, vetting is done quickly. If you are joining the PDF, it is slower. Joining the RDF is way down on the list of priorities. It is done when they have other, higher priority, vetting done.

While it can be annoying, it is also understandable. Nothing can be done about it except to sit tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dubzy

Anyone know the next rdf competition? Slowely going crazy waiting for it.

• Advertisement

dubzy wrote: »
    Anyone know the next rdf competition? Slowely going crazy waiting for it.

Haven't even heard anything from last years! Had the fitness test, medical, interview and then was called back for a final medical (bloods, urine, sight, hearing). Haven't heard anything since.

I know somebody who was called and told they didn't make it after the medical.

I have received an email a few weeks ago that said they they're waiting on the Garda background checks to come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

mike923 wrote: »
    Haven't even heard anything from last years! Had the fitness test, medical, interview and then was called back for a final medical (bloods, urine, sight, hearing). Haven't heard anything since.

I know somebody who was called and told they didn't make it after the medical.

I have received an email a few weeks ago that said they they're waiting on the Garda background checks to come back.

Your situation's pretty unfortunate. If you were in for the Nov 2014 recruitment drive, then anyone else I know in that on were attested by now. Maybe give their recruitment staff a shout?

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    Your situation's pretty unfortunate. If you were in for the Nov 2014 recruitment drive, then anyone else I know in that on were attested by now. Maybe give their recruitment staff a shout?

This is for the NSR not the RDF.

Received an email a few weeks ago saying they were waiting on Garda clearances and nobody has been attested yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Waestrel

Any idea when the next drive is to recruit people to RDF?

Here lads,you know during the run for the fitness? Are ya allowed wear headphones to make less exausting?

• Advertisement

Here lads,you know during the run for the fitness? Are ya allowed wear headphones to make less exausting?

I'd say it you'd be fine wearing them. Keep it in your pocket and throw them in during the run.. You might get a full song finished :rolleyes:

Trying to up the fitness so i wont need to but good to know if i did,wouldnt get my ass handed to me,thats all! Has anyone actually done it before ? 😂

Waestrel wrote: »
    Any idea when the next drive is to recruit people to RDF?

Rdfra Normally have a rough idea. Was in contact with them. They said autumn-winter type of thing but its opinions,no one knows for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Trying to up the fitness so i wont need to but good to know if i did,wouldnt get my ass handed to me,thats all! Has anyone actually done it before ? 😂

A fella at our intake was told to take them out just before the run. IMO, use them for training as much as you like but don't wear them on the day.

Anybody hear anything back yet?

Completed all fitness, interviews and medicals and have heard nothing official back since.

Emailed the NSR at a few of their addresses awhile back and they said nobody has been accepted yet and they're still going through checks/medicals and stuff like that.

To give you an idea my fitness test was in November 2014!

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Cork Unit swore in 6 recruits last Tue night.

mcko wrote: »
    Cork Unit swore in 6 recruits last Tue night.

I was one of them :)

Welcome aboard enjoy Rec training.

Rec training from the 17th to the 30th of Aug, enjoy.

mcko wrote: »
    Rec training from the 17th to the 30th of Aug, enjoy.

Great stuff :D

Will hopefully get a clarification email soon on what to bring and the times etc. :)

• Advertisement

On the way as far as I know.

No sign of that email yet, I take it it's the same or very similar to the RDF's last year?

4. You should have with you the following documents when you report:
    a. This Notification, and a completed copy of the Personal Information Sheet attached. (i.e. printed- out-copy).
    b. Details of an open Republic of Ireland Bank Account and any relevant income tax documents (i.e so that your tax affairs can be sorted without delay). Any recruits who do not have a Republic of Ireland Bank Account should open one before the 10th of August 2014.
    c. PPS number (residents of Republic of Ireland.
    d. Birth Certificate, Passport or Drivers Licence (if not previously received)
    e. Marriage Certificate (Where Applicable)
    f. 4 x Passport Photo’s
    g. Cash (Small amount for personal use. Please note that the first pay day will not be for 7-10 days).
    h. P60 AND /OR P45 (If Applicable) or National Equivalent.

i. Your normal garment sizes across the following clothing elements:
    i. Shoe size (UK sizing standard)
    ii. Waist size (in Inches)
    iii. Shirt size (ie ‘S’/’M’/’L’)
    j. Record of previous inoculations received (MMR, 6 in 1 Travel Shots etc)

5. Recruits should be in possession of the following:
    a. Change of clothes, underwear and socks for a min 7 days.
    b. Toiletries (including shaving gear & flip flops)
    c. Towels x 2
    d. Runners, t-shirt & shorts
    e. Writing materials (note books pens, A4 refill pad & folder etc)
    f. Washing Powder
    g. Current ID (Passport, Garda ID etc)
    h. Small Padlock x2
    i. Clothes Hanger x4

6. Recruits should NOT be in possession of the following:
    a. Stereo/Speaker System
    b. Computer Gaming Devices
    c. Laptops
    d. Electronic Entertainment Devices
    e. Any Camouflage/Combat Boots/Military Equipment acquired previously
    f. Any Training Supplements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

Does anyone know what the hearing standard is for someone who wants to re-enlist? I left 5 years ago due to emigration, I'm thinking of getting back in now but my hearing level is H2. Has anyone re-enlisted and had trouble with the audiogram?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Garzard

The White Paper was just published - according to our CS last night, manpower as a result is being raised across the DF so before exiting parade we were notified of another RDF recruitment drive starting from early-mid September which will be open for the following 2 months.

Army reserve and Naval Service Reserve now recruiting, apply now!

http://www.candidatemanager.net/CM/Micro/JobList.aspx?&mid=YDUU&sid=EVAZAZ&a=0iT+rf2ap2U=

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dsully

Probably asked a dozen times so apologies but could someone please clear something up for me. Do the RDF have the exact same vision requirements as the PDF? And if so do they still not accept laser surgery correction? I had a look at the website but it's not clear for the RDF. Thanks.

um... does one have to tell them you had laser surgery? would it make you fail a standard eye test?
    Eyetest was standard vision test, color blindness test etc, took all of 3 mintues, looked at a rake of slides, read smallest line , tell me which numbers overlap etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dsully

Morpheus wrote: »
    um... does one have to tell them you had laser surgery? would it make you fail a standard eye test?
    Eyetest was standard vision test, color blindness test etc, took all of 3 mintues, looked at a rake of slides, read smallest line , tell me which numbers overlap etc etc

Probably could just say nothing. Not sure if they ask directly. I currently need contacts but would consider laser surgery in order to pass the medical if I get that far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

Anybody know how a conviction would impact on my application?
    It's around 4/5 years ago (relatively minor cultivation and possession of cannabis, small amount)
    Any advice /opinions welcome, will be applying just looking for information, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Anybody know how a conviction would impact on my application?
    It's around 4/5 years ago (relatively minor cultivation and possession of cannabis, small amount)
    Any advice /opinions welcome, will be applying just looking for information, cheers.

Honestly, IMO don't even waste your time or get your hopes up by applying at all. The DF won't touch you, with a conviction for possession regardless of how long ago it was.

Advertisement