Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Forces Recruitment 2015 **Update!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SteveD400

What barracks did you apply through?

Cathal Brugha barracks in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Limerick Sovereigns

SteveD400 wrote: »
    Cathal Brugha barracks in Dublin.

Did you ever live at an address outside the state and put this on your form? This would require the Gardaí to contact police in that jurisdiction and can cause major delays (over and above the usual delay).

Did you ever live at an address outside the state and put this on your form? This would require the Gardaí to contact police in that jurisdiction and can cause major delays (over and above the usual delay).

Yes actually, I lived in the US for a while so that probably has something to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 .n3o

If you fail the fitness test by a small margin, will you be entitled to do a retest in the current competition?
    Can you re schedule your fitness test in order to increase fitness?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭.45auto

.n3o wrote: »
    If you fail the fitness test by a small margin, will you be entitled to do a retest in the current competition?

Im fairly sure you get 2 chances to do the physical. I did my physical there in november and one lad fainted during due to nerves and I saw him at the interview stage. Same with a few girls that failed i saw them at the interview.

• Advertisement

.45auto wrote: »
    Im fairly sure you get 2 chances to do the physical. I did my physical there in november and one lad fainted during due to nerves and I saw him at the interview stage. Same with a few girls that failed i saw them at the interview.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭.45auto

Thanks for that.

No prob im fairly sure you cant pick when you do your physical im fairly sure you re do it 2 weeks after. But i could be wrong im just a lowly potential recruit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Last year a few lads were very close to passing and so were brought back to try again. The lad who couldn't do more than one push up was not.
    If you're borderline they'll let you retake it but if you're way too unfit, they won't bother.

Lockstep wrote: »
    Last year a few lads were very close to passing and so were brought back to try again. The lad who couldn't do more than one push up was not.
    If you're borderline they'll let you retake it but if you're way too unfit, they won't bother.

Thanks for the reply. I got confirmation from the RDF regarding a retest. They said you are entitled to one retest. But as you say, if u were very unfit I can't see them waiting time retesting you. I hopefully will pass first time. I'm a bit dodgy sometimes with push-ups. I get to 16, and then go into rest position for 15 seconds before smashing out another 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Thanks for the reply. I got confirmation from the RDF regarding a retest. They said you are entitled to one retest. But as you say, if u were very unfit I can't see them waiting time retesting you. I hopefully will pass first time. I'm a bit dodgy sometimes with push-ups. I get to 16, and then go into rest position for 15 seconds before smashing out another 4.

When I was doing them, I found going as fast as possible really helps as the momentum keeps you going. My pushup limit went from the high 40s to the mid 70s doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Pablo_

Hi,

I am 32 and am interested in joining this. My fear though is that it might be like when i was in Civil Defence, and I will be too old and a bit 'serious' for it. I'm there to work, not fanny about.

CD was very basic and training was a bit aimed at 20 year old young lads/ladies who wanted to just get out of their shell ...

Would I just be a bit embarrassed taking orders from a 22 year old and feel like the old guy and 'what is he doing here' mentality in the air??

anybody have insight?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

no

go for it

if you're serious then you'll enjoy it.

there is some waiting around, you'll get that in any reserve organisation that is by its very nature, a secondary priority.

Decide what corps you want to partake in, then organise a visit to your local unit and see what its like.
    CIS,
    transport,
    artillery,
    cavalry,
    mechanised infantry,
    infantry,
    naval service,
    medical corps,
    etc...

I was 27 when i joined. the age profile now is slightly higher as we haven't been recruiting until the last year or so.

oh and if you joined my unit, the instructor (me) would be 39 not 22.

if someone is competent and knowledgeable about their subject matter, then you wont care if they are 22 or 52 when they instruct you.

You are there to learn and to participate in a team environment in a diverse organisation, not to dismiss people based on preconceived prejudices that you bring with you - leave them at the door and you could enjoy a rewarding career as a reservist.

Best of luck whatever you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Waestrel

Is there a mailing list to subscribe to updates as to when the next recruitment drive is on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 frankyk1996

Any one hear on the medicals done mine in November of last year and haven't heard anything yet? Just wondering if any of ye have the same problem or is it just that the vetting hasn't gone through?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

you just need to watch www. military.ie im afraid - to keep up to date on recuitment.

as for the delay, not sure why its been that long but gut instinct would suggest Garda Vetting is probable. it does take a silly length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭rkrk

anybody apply recently?
    i applied to collins barracks in the last fortnight and just wondering are there alot of people applying and is there many places available?
    what stages of joining are people at? ie interview stage fitness test stage etc

anybody have any info? how many times a year do a group of recruits go throught. i know there was some in last 4 months or so just wondering will i have to wait till the end of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Waestrel

Anyone know when the next intake is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭trellheim

Keep checking military.ie - believe it or not thats when most of the military find out too !

Waestrel wrote: »
    Anyone know when the next intake is?

interviews and fitness tests at collins barracks tomorrow night and the following tuesday too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Sf96

Anyone from the last rdf recruitment been attested etc yet? Had first training day last week , medical next week, Weren't given any idea of timeframe regarding attestation and the likes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 neogorey

Has anyone got word back regarding security clearance from the 2015 recruitment competition?

I received an email a couple of months ago stating that there were delays in security clearance this year.

It's all I'm waiting on before being attested.

neogorey wrote: »
    Has anyone got word back regarding security clearance from the 2015 recruitment competition?

I received an email a couple of months ago stating that there were delays in security clearance this year.

It's all I'm waiting on before being attested.

My clearance came through in April but I still haven't been attested. Waiting over a year and a half at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mr16as

i applied October 2015, was attested in August, have recruit training in a week. i have a friend who applied for RDF in collins barracks in October 2015 also, who still doesn't even have his Garda vetting (he has never done anything wrong or anything like that, its just the bureaucracy). the whole thing is just a massive paperwork clusterf**k in my opinion.

my garda vetting isnt back 8 months later. i know somebody who just got his back a year later. they are a disaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 neogorey

Thanks guys for the replies regarding the waiting time for security clearance. I passed the fitness end of Feb 2016 at McKee Bks for NSR. We also filled up Garda Vetting forms but then in early May we had to re-fill out Garda Vetting forms because as far as I know a new Garda Vetting system came into action. We did our medicals then at the end of May and I got the all clear a couple of weeks later. So, really I'm only waiting 6 months now. Apparently, the new Garda Vetting system was supposed to speed up the process. However, I think there's a lot more to it for Military security clearance as you can imagine. I'd say it's not as simple as Garda Vetting for teachers etc.

Furthermore, I have seen some discussions about the long delays in security clearance posted on KildareStreet.com. It's causing problems because new reservists end up losing interest due to the length they have to wait. And apparently these days it's difficult to get people to volunteer and join the reserves. I'm just dying to get sworn in so we can get going with training because joining the reserves is important to me.

Please note that I'm not making any kind of statement here. I'm only having a discussion to help inform others like myself and to get information regarding the length of time it takes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 frankyk1996

Anyone know how long your number takes to come through after attesation?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Stev3G187

Anyone know how long your number takes to come through after attesation?

Well back when i joined the RDF first, the attestation was done in my local company HQ. This isn't the case I think anymore. But then again I havent dealt with many recruits since I joined. But I did my attestation the 30th of June and was on camp i think by the 9th of july.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Cobh16

Where do rdf recruits in the from Collins Barracks go for there camp ? And when abouts would this take place.. and any hints and tips as to what might be needed that they don't tell you to have ? Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Stev3G187

Cobh16 wrote: »
    Where do rdf recruits in the from Collins Barracks go for there camp ? And when abouts would this take place.. and any hints and tips as to what might be needed that they don't tell you to have ? Cheers

They can be sent anywhere for camp. I did mine in Galway. The reorganisation sent me to athlone. I'm part of the 2nd brigade but I did a camp recently in Galway. Theyre the 1st brigade. It depends on a lot of things. There is usually 4 weeks a year guaranteed. One at easter. One at Halloween and two during the summer. Normally July but that can change. The camps might not happen either. That's up to the PDF to decide

Advertisement