Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Forces Recruitment 2015 **Update!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

mcko wrote: »
    From DCOS, there was a RDFRA meeting...

Oh Christ.....RDFRA. Once you said that I knew it was BS. Have you ever met such a waster organisation with an agenda and a massive axe to grind. I wouldn't trust ANYTHING I heard from that muppet organisation.

Between the attempted mutinys, the back stabbing, court proceedings, lockdowns, lockouts, firings and law suits, I thought they were gone. I know for sure that the Army isn't talking to them. And seeing as they have such a major inferiority complex, they probably made up the whole thing to stop themselves being consigned to oblivion.
    RDFRA and Facts - mutually exclusive words.

RDFRAs agenda is that they don't like Fitness Training - it interferes with their drinking. While they once were all for it, the current shower don't want us to be a viable military force to support the PDF, they want us to be a big government sponsored social club. Anything that they can do to knock the fitness culture permeating the RDF, they will do, mainly because they know that the majority of them are becoming increasingly irrelevant due to lack of fitness and competency. Most of them will be gone in a year. I am sorry for dragging this thread completely off topic but this is utter BS from RDFRA and needs to be stomped on.
    mcko wrote: »
    but the facts are what I have told you, I was surprised as well.
    259 applied to both the AR and NSR.

Given that 320 were called for the RDF in the DFTC alone and 300 for Collins Bks (And those ARE Facts), it kind of blows RDFRAs numbers out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

brennan10 wrote: »
    How'd did the interview go? Did all the prep pay off?

Went pretty well I thought, the supervisor who talked to me before the interview was actually present in the room with the other 2 people too.

Questions flew, mainly around motivation and teamwork, I felt as if I was using my work place as an example a bit too much, but they didn't seem to mind!

When leaving the interview room, the supervisor who had me before it started was walking out too, I said for a laugh how did I get on, he said don't be worrying I did well and gave me a wink, so I'm hopeful :)

Thanks for your info by the way, everything you said pretty much happened this morning! The 20 mins or so in the interview seemed to fly too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Garzard

rizzee wrote: »
    Questions flew, mainly around motivation and teamwork, I felt as if I was using my work place as an example a bit too much, but they didn't seem to mind!

As in what motivates you, how well you work within a team, what you do to handle stress etc? Good to hear it went well anyway!

Garzard wrote: »
    As in what motivates you, how well you work within a team, what you do to handle stress etc? Good to hear it went well anyway!

That's exactly it!

What motivates you, how can you can cope under pressure, reaction to orders given, examples of teamwork, what makes a good team etc. etc.

Fairly waffley stuff but it's much easier than I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭brennan10

Just a quick question for any one that may know...if a medical was deemed successful would you hear on the day that you'll be accepted or would you just have to wait for a formal acceptance by email etc?

• Advertisement

Just a quick question for any one that may know...if a medical was deemed successful would you hear on the day that you'll be accepted or would you just have to wait for a formal acceptance by email etc?

Depends on who you ask really. I've seen a few posts around saying September at the earliest - wouldn't count on it being that late in the year as it wouldn't be an ideal time to start Recruit Training with many people starting college etc. When a friend of mine got into the RDF in 2011, they started training in June if memory serves. Not sure when he made the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I was told that recruit training would be on in the summer so I'd imagine we'd hear back before then.

Said end of August to me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭trellheim

From DCOS, there was a RDFRA meeting and that is where the figures come from.One area alone no one passed the fitness test.
    I have no agenda and need recruits as soon as I can get them but the facts are what I have told you, I was surprised as well.

259 applied to both the AR and NSR.

The figures above are not by any means the total RDF applicants. 259 may have applied to both, though. As of a few days ago I think our sub SHOULD be getting the correct quota we were supposed to have been assigned.

rizzee wrote: »
    Said end of August to me today.

Final selection / Training / or both?

• Advertisement

Final selection / Training / or both?

Candidates will be selected and begin training -medical assessment, oath etc will be done before this :) Their words

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭JB400

Just a quick question for anyone who has been interviewed...was there any questions on the actual defence forces ;history, rank, makeup, re-organisation??? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭twinydavid

JB400 wrote: »
    Just a quick question for anyone who has been interviewed...was there any questions on the actual defence forces ;history, rank, makeup, re-organisation??? Cheers

None

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭brennan10

The focus centered around questions such as working under pressure, teamwork and motivation. When you due for interview?

The focus centered around questions such as working under pressure, teamwork and motivation. When you due for interview?

Thanks, i'll have a good few things to discuss..I was supposed to be on wednesday in Athlone but it was changed to tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I've yet to have my interview , My fitness test was tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

My interview is set for the 7th.

Really impressed with the recruitment process this year. When I first joined the RDF, it was just a medical (I'm reapplying now as I left to apply for the British army when living in the UK but am now working in Ireland)
    Now there's a fitness test and interview which are both handy and the commitment should help weed out chancers, ensuring that the people who get in have a certain level of fitness, are motivated and genuinely want to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

At the start they ask you to tell a little about yourself and what are you currently doing, then about your Motivation (Give Examples) Team-Work (Give Examples) and Working under-pressure (Give Examples). At the end you will have a chance to ask any questions and if there was anything that they didn't came up with and you would like to mention. They also ask you questions regarding the examples you gave, for example if you say that "I had a kick-boxing fight" they might ask you "How does it feel like to be in a fight?".

Interview at 9 tomorrow - wish me luck lads!

Interview at 9 tomorrow - wish me luck lads!

Where are you doing your interview?

• Advertisement

Where are you doing your interview?

Cathal Brugha, yourself?

Cathal Brugha, yourself?

Applied for there, but i'm doing the interview in Athlone because it's closer... Best of luck anyway!!

Interview went pretty well I thought, the panel were pretty sound. Let's hope it'll lead somewhere. Unfortunately we're going to be waiting a few months for the GV to go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

how long after my fitness test should my interview take place ?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Irishboy!

Hey guys,

I have my interview for the RDF on the 10th of May just wondering has anyone done one yet and could you give me any advice as to questions or to wear suit or whatever!

Can anyone tell me what i should wear to the interview? what have most ye guys gone with? was thinking a suit might be abit much? Any information regarding attire would be perfect, Thanks :)

Irishboy! wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what i should wear to the interview? what have most ye guys gone with? was thinking a suit might be abit much? Any information regarding attire would be perfect, Thanks :)

I was fully suited as was the lad after me....no harm in being respectable..

I was fully suited as was the lad after me....no harm in being respectable..

Do u need to bring a cv or any references with ya?

Irishboy! wrote: »
    Do u need to bring a cv or any references with ya?

I only had my e-mail. That should be enough. They'll ask you to fill out a form beforehand about your hobbies and responsibilities.. They'll work off that in the interview..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

Everybody that was in this week was either suited up or shirt and tie. Females were in blazer jackets and suit trousers.
    Just bring the email and some photo id with you.
    It would help to bring a pen with you, as JB400 said you'll be given a form three pages long to fill out your hobbies and acheivements, responsibilities, relevant employment, example of teamwork all the usual stuff. If you borrow a pen from the private who is bringing you to and from the gate then be sure to give it back. I went through a good seven or eight of them during this week because you miserable feckers didn't give them back. :mad: :pac:

Advertisement