Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Forces Recruitment 2015 **Update!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Lockstep wrote: »
    Had my RDF interview. Got an email saying I'd done well and would be contacted in the next few days about the next stage of the application process.

Medical yeah? Congrats! Havent heard anything yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

It seems to vary a lot by unit. My friends applying in Cork were told when their interviews would be 2 weeks before I was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

rizzee wrote: »
    Navy?

yes are you applying for the navy also ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭JB400

Does anyone who was interviewed for infantry in cathal brugha know what kind of numbers were put forward for interview??

I dunno about Dublin but one member of the Galway RDF told me that they between people failing the fitness test or not showing up, they don't have enough people to fill all the numbers they need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

I missed the application deadline on April 9th but made an enquiry anyway about next recruitment. I was told (no need to mention a name, I assume) that there may (bold print his) be an opportunity in the next few weeks to apply. Lends some credence to what's said above about insufficient numbers.

Here's hoping - I'll be 35 next May so this might have been my last chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mick94

I just got an email there inviting me to a fitness test for the reserves on Thursday May 22nd in McKee. I missed my last fitness test in McKee in April, due to sporting commitments. I'd regretted not doing the fitness test since then.

They must really be struggling for numbers if they're emailing people like me that didn't show up offering them another date for the fitness test. I'm not complaining though roll on next Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 p.jm64

hey, ive done my fitness test and interview in Aiken in Dundalk but im going to be living and working in Dublin from next month which is a bit of a ways to travel to Dundalk,

does anyone have any idea of how I could go about about continuing the competition (i.e medical etc) in a Dublin barracks so I can be in the dublin rdf, i.e. should i ring and ask? ive already emailed about it but got no reply.

any advice appreciated :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

A mate of mine who's applied to Cavalry vaguely mentioned something about being able to switch fields by order of 3 preferences after selection or training. I'm going for CIS myself but if he's right I might swith my first choice to Cavalry, second to CIS and Infantry to third. How diverse is the RDF Cavalry? Would it be part Mechanized Infantry and the odd bit of driving? Asking on my mate's behalf who's hoping for Mowag, Scorpion and lorry training, which to me does seem a bit much to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

Garzard wrote: »
    Asking on my mate's behalf who's hoping for Mowag, Scorpion and lorry training, which to me does seem a bit much to expect.
    Forget it,

2 years of basic training before you can attempt any Corps Training. Then, depending on what they want you to do etc., you can apply for driving courses. It would start off on small stuff like the Pajero, building up to larger stuff. Not 100% sure but don't think Cav do trucks - Cavalry do recce with Pajeros, LTAVs and Mowags. While a Pajero Cse can be done in a fairly reasonable time, Mowags and LTAVs take a lot longer and have to be built up to and probably will take too long for the average RDF guy to do. Also, Mowag drivers are sorely needed in the PDF, esp for overseas, so it is unlikely you will get a place over a PDF guy, as it should be.

Scorpions are only used by 1 unit, 1ACS in the Curragh. Unless you join that unit, you will not get near them and even then, it is unlikely for any RDF guy to get a course on them unless they have put in a good amount of time with the unit.

I am open to correction on some aspects of the Cav side of it but it WILL take 2 years minimum for you to get through basic training.

So, in short, 2 years before trying for a driving Cse on something small, then maybe something big to drive within 5 years.

• Advertisement

So has anyone else heard back after their interviews? Will be 3 weeks this Wednesday for me, hope I hear from them soon...

rizzee wrote: »
    So has anyone else heard back after their interviews? Will be 3 weeks this Wednesday for me, hope I hear from them soon...

Not a peep yet...could be a while ...

I've heard nothing yet but one of my friends got invited to a medical in Cork last week.

Just got my medical email, set for the 9th June in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

Just got my medical email, set for the 9th June in Cork.

I'm still waiting for an email, where did you apply to reserves?

I applied in Galway. It seems to vary a lot by area though. One of my friends heard back last week, another still hasn't heard anything.

Applied for brugha, but I've been doing my interviews and test in Athlone...Still haven't heard from either...

Still haven't heard back either, it's taking ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Irishboy!

Got my email for medical too, 5th of June in Cork :)

Every applicant who's made it this far will get an email, right?

• Advertisement

Garzard wrote: »
    Every applicant who's made it this far will get an email, right?

I better hope so!! Over 3 weeks now...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Irishboy!

Anyone who has medical coming up do they know what the crack is with the vaccination cert or blood donor card? Awkward enough getting it like

4 weeks past now??? Don't know how they plan to get a camp done this summer...

JB400 wrote: »
    4 weeks past now??? Don't know how they plan to get a camp done this summer...

It'll be in August I was told.

It'll be in August I was told.

Have to do a medical, couple of wednesday nights training and a few weekends inbetween though...

I have my interview tomorrow, Do i have to wear a full suit because some guy told me I should, But the recruiting officer told me slacks a shirt and tie will be fine ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 EncinoMan

@MRnotlob606 literally either is fine. They won't mind you wearing a full suit if you want to.

EncinoMan wrote: »
    @MRnotlob606 literally either is fine. They won't mind you wearing a full suit if you want to.

Yeah I wouldn't imagine they'd be too fussy , They need all the people they can get at this stage, There's only three who passed the fitness test for my unit.

heading off to my interview in a little while hope all goes well.

• Advertisement

4 weeks today still no word about medical!! Frustrated. Will give it to end of the week before I send an email.

Advertisement