Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Forces Recruitment 2015 **Update!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

Still waiting for my Medical for Cathal Brugha Barracks - Cavlary. Had my Interview on the 30th of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Still waiting for my Medical for Cathal Brugha Barracks - Cavlary. Had my Interview on the 30th of April.

Had my interview then, still waiting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭JB400

They'd want to be e-mailing us this week....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Just got my notification for my medical, I am very happy to have gotten to this stage after 2 years of waiting to join the RDF, it is a relief. We have all had a long wait and it will be the first time in 5 years that my unit will have new recruits. Hopefully I will pass this medical, im quite excited

Got my date, next Tuesday 17th 7.30am. Very pi55ed off, have a holiday down the country booked with the lads in Clare Monday to Friday. Rang them up saying this and they said nothing they can do. They shouldn't have told me the medicals would be 3 weeks after interview , I wouldn't have booked it then! Waiting 6 weeks... Is there anything I can do?

• Advertisement

I got my Medical on 18th June at 7:30am. Anyone know what exactly they are going to be checking except eye test, hearing test, blood pressure and blood samples taken?

rizzee wrote: »
    Got my date, next Tuesday 17th 7.30am. Very pi55ed off, have a holiday down the country booked with the lads in Clare Monday to Friday. Rang them up saying this and they said nothing they can do. They shouldn't have told me the medicals would be 3 weeks after interview , I wouldn't have booked it then! Waiting 6 weeks... Is there anything I can do?

I'm in the same boat mate. Have an exam that day...Rang them up as well and your man said to e-mail them, but he didn't promise anything would be done for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭brennan10

I got my Medical on 18th June at 7:30am. Anyone know what exactly they are going to be checking except eye test, hearing test, blood pressure and blood samples taken?

Just got the medical email as well for St. Bricins on18th at 7.30. In the process of trying to get that day off work as I've heard it's a lengthy process. As for what their checking I think you have covered the lot...here's hoping anyways!

JB400 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat mate. Have an exam that day...Rang them up as well and your man said to e-mail them, but he didn't promise anything would be done for me..

He seemed pretty adamant on the phone that there was nothing that could be done, i'm going to ring up again tomorrow before I reply to the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tom.737

Got my medical on next Tuesday at 7:30am.. Anyone know is there much about the lungs in the test? Recovering from a chest infection. absolutely rotten!

• Advertisement

brennan10 wrote: »
    Just got the medical email as well for St. Bricins on18th at 7.30. In the process of trying to get that day off work as I've heard it's a lengthy process. As for what their checking I think you have covered the lot...here's hoping anyways!

Ill see you there so ;) Ill be more likely the lad with all the motorbike gear on unless I will be lucky enough to get a lift off someone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kirm2

Anyone know what the Army's stance on childhood asthma and allergies is?

Garzard wrote: »
    After all your tests they'll bring you in for a final clarification on the medical info you've given throughout the day and let you know. However depending on a condition you might've had previously [asthma in my case until I was 4 or 5] they could ask you to get your GP's confirmation to say there's no risk of a recurrence. Should this happen, you'll be given a week to forward the GP's note onto the RDF.

Hi - I've just noticed that you mention you had asthma as a child, was this a problem for them at all? Did you still pass the medical? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

Kirm2 wrote: »
    Hi - I've just noticed that you mention you had asthma as a child, was this a problem for them at all? Did you still pass the medical? Thanks

Passed the medical no problem, the asthma wasn't any issue in the end considering I had it over 15 years ago and there's no real chance of it coming back. After I brought the GP note in, again a bit of waiting around first, I was deemed more than medically fit. It's a pain alright when they ask for these notes but again, it's more for your own safety than anything else so I appreciate the amount of care they're trying to take.

I'm not sure what their take is on allergies - depends on their severity I guess. My only two are pollen and dust which I get only light reactions to, so I was cleared for that.

Passed the medical no problem, the asthma wasn't any issue in the end considering I had it over 15 years ago and there's no real chance of it coming back. After I brought the GP note in, again a bit of waiting around first, I was deemed more than medically fit. It's a pain alright when they ask for these notes but again, it's more for your own safety than anything else so I appreciate the amount of care they're trying to take.

I'm not sure what their take is on allergies - depends on their severity I guess. My only two are pollen and dust which I get only light reactions to, so I was cleared for that.

Good man...bet you're delighted! When you had your medical what time were you all done by roughly? Trying to figure a work schedule out for next Wednesday.....

Good man...bet you're delighted! When you had your medical what time were you all done by roughly? Trying to figure a work schedule out for next Wednesday.....

Well at least for the group I was with, you finished depending on where you lived. Our medicals started around 8:00 with a steady enough pace until the hearing test, vision test and onwards. Being the only person at least semi-local to the area, I had to do all that last [everyone else lived in the Midlands and further west]. So it wasn't until after 4:30pm that I could eventually get it done. :rolleyes: Everyone else would have finished an hour or two before me.

Make sure you've something to do just in case you're also kept last. There was a huge amount of waiting around. Hope this helps.

Well at least for the group I was with, you finished depending on where you lived. Our medicals started around 8:00 with a steady enough pace until the hearing test, vision test and onwards. Being the only person at least semi-local to the area, I had to do all that last [everyone else lived in the Midlands and further west]. So it wasn't until after 4:30pm that I could eventually get it done. :rolleyes: Everyone else would have finished an hour or two before me.

Make sure you've something to do just in case you're also kept last. There was a huge amount of waiting around. Hope this helps.

Cheers appreciate the info...will make what I need to decide a little easier! So whats the story now with having passed the med?

Cheers appreciate the info...will make what I need to decide a little easier! So whats the story now with having passed the med?

Apparently the response takes place 2 weeks after the medical - someone said this earlier on in the thread. After that, probably the oath.

I got the email yesterday and just replied today saying I'm on holidays next week if they could fill me in for Monday or else the following week. Meant to have it Tuesday morning. I really don't want to miss out, already paid for hotel etc down the country.

Does anyone know how strict are the hearing tests? I don't think I have any hearing problems but Ill travel to the hospital by a motorbike and its quite loud, I dont want it to make a difference between pass/fail.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know how strict are the hearing tests? I don't think I have any hearing problems but Ill travel to the hospital by a motorbike and its quite loud, I dont want it to make a difference between pass/fail.

I'd ring them and ask. If you're not travelling much of a distance and have a well insulated helmet I'd say you'll be alright. Either way I wouldn't know, they did say to avoid excessively loud noises, headphones etc for 3 days prior. It'd be risky.

There's 4 levels of hearing: H1, H2, H3 and H4. H1 is best, minimum for a pass is H2. Is your Medical on the 18th? Maybe you could ask for a trial hearing test a few days in advance - if they give it to you, take the motorbike that day and see what result you end up with. Then if you fall below H2, find another means of transport on the day of the real thing. Just an idea.

I got the email yesterday and just replied today saying I'm on holidays next week if they could fill me in for Monday or else the following week. Meant to have it Tuesday morning. I really don't want to miss out, already paid for hotel etc down the country.

I e-mailed them on wednesday and i still haven't heard anything back...if i don't hear anything by lunch today i'm going to call them again...

JB400 wrote: »
    I e-mailed them on wednesday and i still haven't heard anything back...if i don't hear anything by lunch today i'm going to call them again...

I'll be ringing them all day today!! Haha.

Let me know if you get through :)

Just off the phone. Apparently nothing can be done and the last day for the medicals is Thursday.

Just off the phone. Apparently nothing can be done and the last day for the medicals is Thursday.

Ahh here...thats not on...

Yeah ridiculous. I told them i've a holiday booked for the week leaving Monday evening and asked is there anything at all that could be done and the response was ''no sorry the last day is Thursday for the medicals and people have been assigned their times''

Great. Losing out on a days holiday just to sit around for 7 hours. Lucky it's not abroad.

Yeah ridiculous. I told them i've a holiday booked for the week leaving Monday evening and asked is there anything at all that could be done and the response was ''no sorry the last day is Thursday for the medicals and people have been assigned their times''

Great. Losing out on a days holiday just to sit around for 7 hours. Lucky it's not abroad.
    At least you can still do the medical, I've and exam at 9 so there's no hope for me...

Ah jeez. I'd recommend you ring anyway just so they know. Would be a miracle if they did though by the way they said on the phone.

I hope you can make it anyway and if not, best of luck in your exam. There's always the next recruitment stage supposedly coming up too.

Ah jeez. I'd recommend you ring anyway just so they know. Would be a miracle if they did though by the way they said on the phone.

I hope you can make it anyway and if not, best of luck in your exam. There's always the next recruitment stage supposedly coming up too.

We shall see...cheers man

• Advertisement

Thank you so much for that reply, it's a relief to know it's not the end if I put it down on the form - I hope the rules are the same for the PDF too!

So are your allergies current and did you put that down too?

Advertisement