Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are landlords about renting to couples?

Options
  • 21-03-2014 3:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35

Is it as simple as one of ye renting a one-bed property in your name, and your partner living their with you? Or are you supposed to tell the landlord both of you will be staying/both sign the lease? They wouldn't charge more would they?

Obviously it's a different story if sharing with others, not really something I'd want to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Should be no issue at all. You need to be up front about it, because you cant move someone else in afterwards if their name is not on the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

djimi wrote: »
    ...you cant move someone else in afterwards if their name is not on the lease.

Ahh, I think it depends on what it says on your lease. Some will say this isn't allowed, some won't.

I would assume that it is forbidden unless there is something (be it written or verbal) to say otherwise. I would have thought that the majority of landlords would not be impressed to find someone living in the property that they have no been made aware of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 LMellows

They are still getting the rental for a single room though. It's a bit different to having someone sleeping on the sofa.

In terms of upkeep, if I were a landlord I'd be happier with a couple in my property than a single guy!

LMellows wrote: »
    They are still getting the rental for a single room though. It's a bit different to having someone sleeping on the sofa.

In terms of upkeep, if I were a landlord I'd be happier with a couple in my property than a single guy!

They have no idea who this other person is though. You could be keeping quiet about moving someone in because they have a chequered past when it comes to renting and wont get a good reference for example. Its just more to do with keeping track of who is living in the property, and having the ability to run checks on them before agreeing to them moving in.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Is it as simple as one of ye renting a one-bed property in your name, and your partner living their with you? Or are you supposed to tell the landlord both of you will be staying/both sign the lease? They wouldn't charge more would they?

Obviously it's a different story if sharing with others, not really something I'd want to do.

A good landlord will have this covered in the lease

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Ive found the best thing to do is just be honest with the landlord. If the other person will be living with you, you both sign the lease.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 LMellows

What I'm mainly asking is would a landlord charge more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

No, I have never come across the price changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

For renting an entire unit (ie 1/2 bed apartment) then no, the rent is the rent

If renting a room in a share house with others then maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

The rent is advised upfront.

You choose to accept that rent. You advise LL if it's a single person or a couple.
    (kind of all at the same time)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Funky G

For me, landlords look more favourably on a couple than a single person. If a situation arose that the partner of the tenant think they have rights, they don't. They'll be treated as a guest. They'll be asked to leave. I made this clear with my tenant. Not on the lease means no rights.

To me, a single person means parties, one income, me praying that they don't lose their job, etc....

Couples mean nice chilled out evenings, plus hopefully, both will have jobs and the rent will be covered. If one loses their job, at least the other will have some sort of income coming in.

What we advise tenants is that if circumstances change, contact the landlord asap.

Advertisement