Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to look for a horse in Limerick/ Clare?

• 21-03-2014 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi this seems like a good place to ask so here goes: a family member who lives in Clare is travelling over from Ireland to where I live (England) soon with his horses, and has room to bring one over for me too (to an experienced home!) I am planning a trip over to look but want to get some lined up first. Are there any good local websites or facebook pages where people advertise horses in the Clare/ Limerick area? I have looked at donedeal but wondered if there are any others?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭dmc17

Farmer's Journal maybe. Or a few results on Google. I'm not an expert though. Maybe someone else could be of more help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Done deal is about as good as you will get. Last weeks sales in Goresbridge would probably have suited you. What are you looking for? Hunter?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 roz84

Something pretty quiet and sensible really, middleweight hunter type

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

PM sent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

They're running around loose all over Limerick city like stray dogs at the moment, you can pick some up around UL or near King John's castle, I see them every morning on my way to work...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Might try Clare Equestrian Center?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Outside?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Being serious this time, why not a rescue horse:
    http://www.limerickanimalwelfare.ie/
    Hundreds of horses are being abandoned around the country, it has gotten so bad that even Germany, France and the UK have gotten wind of the shocking and cruel treatment horses receive in this country (for example http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/soziales/pferdekrise-in-irland-verhoekert-vergessen-verhungert-a-730403.html) and are trying to rescue as many as they can. Too many people thought a horse would go well with their new house, 4x4, trailer and stables and when the credit ran out, turfed them out without any care what happens to the horse. In other words the horse gets abandoned, starves to death, maybe goes to the pound, gets put down, etc...
    So much for people who claim to love animals, they where grand as a status symbol to show you're keeping up with the neighbours but as soon as it's a burden, turf it out, begrandtofook.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 roz84

Being serious this time, why not a rescue horse:
    http://www.limerickanimalwelfare.ie/
    Hundreds of horses are being abandoned around the country, it has gotten so bad that even Germany, France and the UK have gotten wind of the shocking and cruel treatment horses receive in this country (for example http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/soziales/pferdekrise-in-irland-verhoekert-vergessen-verhungert-a-730403.html) and are trying to rescue as many as they can. Too many people thought a horse would go well with their new house, 4x4, trailer and stables and when the credit ran out, turfed them out without any care what happens to the horse. In other words the horse gets abandoned, starves to death, maybe goes to the pound, gets put down, etc...
    So much for people who claim to love animals, they where grand as a status symbol to show you're keeping up with the neighbours but as soon as it's a burden, turf it out, begrandtofook.

Actually this is exactly what I am now looking into - I am aware of the situation over there and hope to be able to help by rehoming a horse rather than just buying one :)

Advertisement