Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up-to-date information on transporting pets between Ireland and Britain

• 21-03-2014 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm hoping with Crufts having taken place so recently that there may be some members of the forum who have current information on this.

A friend of mine is interested in purchasing a pup, has sourced a litter and is planning to travel to the UK during the Summer. Everything was all set until she heard that Irish Ferries now have different requirements for transporting pets.
    This is under the pet section on the Irish Ferries website:

"EU pet passport rules apply throughout the European Union. All Dogs, Cats and Ferrets travelling between member states need an official recognised EU Pet Passport with veterinary endorsements certifying compliance with tests, treatments and vaccinations. The endorsements must be dated (including expiry dates), stamped and signed by an authorised Vet. It is your responsibility to ensure that all off the entry conditions are met.
    Entry conditions- Ireland /Britain/Ireland routes only :
    • Microchip - The microchip number on the animal must correspond with the number on the passport presented. The microchip should comply with ISO standards 11784 & 11785. Clearly legible tattoos are also accepted – the tattoo must have been applied before 3rd July 2011.
    • Rabies - All dogs and cats should be vaccinated against rabies. The primary vaccination ( first vaccination following the microchip) must be administered at least 21 days prior to the arrival of the animal into the destination country. Thereafter the rabies vaccinations must be kept up to date and the 21 day period does not apply. However if there is a break in the vaccination record the relevant booster vaccination is considered the primary vaccination and the 21 days will apply before travel. The certificate confirming that the dog is rabies free must be inserted in the passport."
    She has heard conflicting advice about whether all of these things are actually required. She asked me if I would look into it for her online as she is an elderly woman and does not have internet access.

Her local vet, whom she is friendly with as she lives on a farm, has told her that generally speaking Irish Ferries will waive these requirements and turn a blind eye so to speak. The breeder from whom she is purchasing the pup has said that a friend of hers recently sent a pup off to France with his new owners and all that was required was for the pup to be microchipped and have all the papers, i.e. vaccination card etc.

There seems to be a lot of conflicting advice floating around so I am just wondering if anyone here would have any up-to-date information on this?

All advice appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭LittleMissDiva

I cant see the issue - if your friend is buying a puppy, the puppy needs to have his/her vaccs, microchip, papers etc. anyway :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

She is unsure as to whether a pet passport is actually needed.
    No question about the other requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 sive1281

For travel to France the dog must have a pet passport showing all vaccinactions including rabies, and microchip information.
    Currently neither Irish Ferries or Stena are enforcing these new requirements. I'm aware of this my dog travelled by Irish Ferries last week and is arriving in this afternoon again with Irish Ferries. She has all current vaccinations but no petpassport. There is currently no system in place when travelling between here and the UK for any checks to be carried out.

sive1281 wrote: »
    For travel to France the dog must have a pet passport showing all vaccinactions including rabies, and microchip information.
    Currently neither Irish Ferries or Stena are enforcing these new requirements. I'm aware of this my dog travelled by Irish Ferries last week and is arriving in this afternoon again with Irish Ferries. She has all current vaccinations but no petpassport. There is currently no system in place when travelling between here and the UK for any checks to be carried out.

Thanks for that sive. I will pass it along.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 sive1281

No problem, but they are 'legally' required but not currently being implemented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

No problem, but they are 'legally' required but not currently being implemented.

I'm sorry, but that is not true. My local vets have had a number of clients that have been stopped and checked. When I travelled to the UK in December, I wasn't checked, but two other vehicles with dogs in were stopped. I cannot say for certain whether or not the passports were being checked, but I won't take a chance. They have said they are doing spot checks, so you might get away with it, or you might not.

I am however, very concerned that you are sending a dog to and from France, a country that does have rabies, without the proper vaccinations and paperwork. I disagree with the need for it between ourselves and the UK, but most definitely not the continent.

muddypaws wrote: »
    I am however, very concerned that you are sending a dog to and from France, a country that does have rabies, without the proper vaccinations and paperwork. I disagree with the need for it between ourselves and the UK, but most definitely not the continent.

Not sure who this part is directed at but just to clarify I'm not sending a dog anywhere, let alone France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Not sure who this part is directed at but just to clarify I'm not sending a dog anywhere, let alone France.

It was the other poster, sive1281, I quoted it in my post :)

Its up to you if you take the chance with your new pup or not, but if you were stopped, you could be prosecuted and the pup put into quarantine, for which you will have to pay. So you need to weigh up if its worth the risk. Now there are no restrictions between Belfast and Scotland or Liverpool, so that could be a way around it.

muddypaws wrote: »
    It was the other poster, sive1281, I quoted it in my post :)

Its up to you if you take the chance with your new pup or not, but if you were stopped, you could be prosecuted and the pup put into quarantine, for which you will have to pay. So you need to weigh up if its worth the risk. Now there are no restrictions between Belfast and Scotland or Liverpool, so that could be a way around it.

Thanks muddypaws.
    My friend is an older woman and she certainly would not want to put any animal through quarantine etc so I think she probably will just get the passport, as you say, not worth the risk. She just wondered if it was rubbish talk being put out there by Irish Ferries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

We were asked for passports coming back into Dublin Port from the UK 3 weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You will need a pet passport for the pup, but if the pup is under 12 weeks it won't need the rabies vaccine. The passport is very straight forward and not expensive and the breeder will be able to sort it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

If you are stopped without a pet passport between Eu counties the dogs can be impounded and quarantined,sent back to the country of origin or put down.

There are occasionally checks in the ports and these are increasing rather than decreasing according to some of our clients who travel regularily with their pets to the UK and Poland.

The pet passport involves a rabies vaccination,full vaccination status and a microchip. Once rabies vaccinated the animals can travel 3 weeks/21days later.If there is a gap in the requirments for rabies the course has to be restarted and 21 days hold applied again.
    Some countires have a requirement for tapeworm treatment prior to entry as well and you will need this done to return into Ireland.
    Rabies can be done at early in pups if travelling but then it needs to be boostered 3 months later to finish the course...

Quote from nobivacc the most commonly used brand of rabies vaccine in Ireland.

"Primary vaccination age* 3 months or older

Booster vaccination every 3 years

Route of administration intramuscularly or subcutaneously

* Primary vaccination may be administered at an earlier age (minimum in dogs and cats of 4 weeks of age), but then a repeat vaccination must be given at the age of 3 months.
    Can be used during pregnancy in dogs."

Pups are NOT exempt from the rabies requirements to travel.

heres the dept page on entry requirements

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/entryrequirementsforpetsfromtheeu/

Advertisement