Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat Leaving Cert and Veterinary in the UK

• 21-03-2014 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi...well basically all my life I've wanted to be a vet..I've grown up on a farm and been around farm animals and horses etc all my life!! So I'm in fifth year now and I know myself that I'm probably not going to get the points I need so I have to choose one of two options either move to Ashfield College/Leeson street both of which I visited and they looked really nice or stay in my current school and probably repeat in either mentioned above..for other reasons (my current school fees payed for for next year, current school is nearby, not to mention all my friends are there etc.) I'm probably going to go with the latter option. There's quite a big possibility that I'm going to be studying Veterinary abroad in like the UK possibly...ok so I'll get to the point I was wondering whether I can study in the UK if I repeat my Leaving Cert?..as I've heard that in Scotland, I think it was, they don't accept repeats. Also what are their requirements (no. of A's, work experience etc.)? Btw I study English H Maths H Irish O French H Biology H Chemistry H Business H Ag Science H...any help is muchos appreciated!! Thanks :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I think you would be better off contacting the colleges directly to ask them about their policy on students who repeat.
    If you are only in 5th year why are you so certain you will have to repeat? What difference does it make what school you are in if you put in the work?
    Also have you checked out other options such as veterinary in Budapest or Slovakia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

All undergraduate university applications in the UK are processed through UCAS which is a central information source for prospective students. From going to their site and tapping in 'veterinary' this list came up with all courses related to that term. You can click in and out of whichever ones interest you and each will list its own unique entry requirements.

Repeats are more common than not in the UK - where did you hear that they're not acceptable in Scotland?

If you don't get the grades first time around Nottingham do offer a 1 year pre-veterinary course which leads into the full degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Ana27

Repeats are more common than not in the UK - where did you hear that they're not acceptable in Scotland?

If you don't get the grades first time around Nottingham do offer a 1 year pre-veterinary course which leads into the full degree.[/QUOTE]

The one year pre-vet course allows you to go into vet med school in Grenada, West Indies, not Nottingham. This is extremely expensive. It may also allow entry to their animal science degree. Do not confuse this with entry to their vet programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Ana27 wrote: »
    The one year pre-vet course allows you to go into vet med school in Grenada, West Indies, not Nottingham. This is extremely expensive. It may also allow entry to their animal science degree. Do not confuse this with entry to their vet programme.

That information is clearly contained in the UCAS link I included in my post. I am not in the least bit confused. In the interests of providing a fuller picture of the information I provided in the link it's worth noting that the pre-vet course can lead to the BSc Animal Science degree instead, which can be followed by veterinary.

Advertisement