Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea vs Arsenal, 12:45, BT Sport

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Spurs wouldn't really be a top team though.

Arsenal punching above their weight this year in the vacuum caused by the United fall from grace I think.

Arsenal have gained 11(?) points more this season than last season.

I disagree sir.

Also yes Spurs are a top team. Considering everything involved Spurs are the ones punching above their weight. I guess it depends on what you call a top team.

As the CL is showing their isn't many top teams in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

To be honest this has been the difference between a real top side and a side punching above their weight. Chelsea have played with conviction, with a clear plan, with power and speed, all of the hallmarks of a Mourinho side. From the start Arsenal have been ponderous and lackluster and it's reflected in the score and situation they find themselves in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Duck Soup wrote: »
    I dunno, you pop down the shops for 25 minutes...

Arsenal defence........... is that you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Fair play Chelsea. Tactically spot on and superior in every way today. Big 3 points for yee and I think yee will go on to win it. And now i'm leaving this thread in disgust!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Referee looks like he was told about the mistake.

Should be fun second half, his head surely won't be 100 percent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Is Mark Halsey on Bt today and did he say anything about the red card ? I've been watching on Nbc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A very embarrassing display from Arsenal again today.
    Surely they are not this bad although other results probably say otherwise.
    Lots of money to spend in the summer if Wenger can get his hands into his pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Raf32 wrote: »
    And now i'm leaving this thread in disgust!

Aj, shur don't go you're great craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

irishmover wrote: »
    Also yes Spurs are a top team.
    Spurs were a good team with a top player. Now they're just a good team who overspent on some average players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

To be honest this has been the difference between a real top side and a side punching above their weight. Chelsea have played with conviction, with a clear plan, with power and speed, all of the hallmarks of a Mourinho side. From the start Arsenal have been ponderous and lackluster and it's reflected in the score and situation they find themselves in.

Luiz and Matic, prior to the penalty had been boswsing the centre of the pitch and stole the ball a few times, arsenal dont have that with Ox whos still green as CM and Arteta is past it, hes like Lamps can put in the odd display but when hes needed against a good side he'll be mauled.

Knowing Joses feeling on Arsene he'll probably send the players out looking for more goals to add to the pain and help the Goal Difference

• Advertisement

Oranage2 wrote: »

Sub the ref :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Arsenal haven't gained 11 points more

In the corresponding fixtures to last season they've only gained 2 points

Yet most in the thread will go on about a massive improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Gibbs to Marriner:

BjVYfebCcAA2Ob_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

No, he will probably set out to get the right man over something else, lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Looks like the bus has been subbed on.

Looks like the bus scored.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Arsene should walk sooner rather than later , constantly getting drummings from the the top teams is starting to take the gloss off what he achieved at the Club.

Mate in work said to me that Ozil was a luxury buy, although I had my doubts because Jose used to always whip him off before the end of a game it has really shown his first big splurge into the transfer market has been a failure, started well but faded terribly, I know he is out injured but looking at the bench and I see a player brought in January and was injured then and only back on the bench now , ( Kalstrom ) thats a shocking bit of transfer dealing.

Ozil is typical of the type of players he likes , plays beautiful football but doesnt like the nitty gritty .

As a Chelsea fan I was looking forward to a great game , Im left feeling sorry for Arsenal and their fans after that first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

A very embarrassing display from Arsenal again today.
    Surely they are not this bad although other results probably say otherwise.
    Lots of money to spend in the summer if Wenger can get his hands into his pockets.

Not going to happen. Wenger as good as he is, is far too entrenched in his ways. He has not adapted IMO to the times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Quazzie wrote: »
    It was going wide so how is it a red?

How can you say that???
    You clearly dont know the laws of the game. Please google them.
    Peno and red card, no doubt.

Eto'o earlier

BjVd6KUCMAE8aBS.jpg

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Arsenal haven't gained 11 points more

Yes they have. Corresponding fixtures mean sweet **** all. It's not like they've all the big teams left in their last 8 games. I'll be shocked if their points total isn't a reasonable margin bigger than last season.

After 29 games they were 11 points ahead of the same stage last season, no matter what way you try and spin it.

• Advertisement

Arsenal have gained 11(?) points more this season than last season.

A quick totting up says they're 2 points better than from the corresponding fixtures last season.

BjVej90CQAAObYN.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Flamini coming on, as well as Jenkinson. Odds on us being left with 9 men by the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

RichT wrote: »
    Arsenal defence........... is that you?

To quote Scott Murray over on the Guardian's minute-by-minute coverage: "Never mind the Gibbs-Ox penalty farce, the big question is: what on earth is Wenger telling his team ahead of these big matches?"

3 early Arsenal goals and its game on again :D:D

Fudge You wrote: »
    How can you say that???
    You clearly dont know the laws of the game. Please google them.
    Peno and red card, no doubt.

The rules of the game are denying a goalscoring opportunity. Did he deny one? No.

Torres :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

greendom wrote: »
    Flamini coming on, as well as Jenkinson. Odds on us being left with 9 men by the end?

Flamini should have started.

What was Wenger thinking today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Points are a variable, I rather judge a team on league position and it looks like arsenal will finish 4th, no real gain in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Kind of funny that Mourinho had sly digs at Benitez for playing Luiz in midfield and only plays him there when forced to yet it's kind of obvious that DM/CDM/CM is his best position.

The rules of the game are denying a goalscoring opportunity. Did he deny one? No.

Grand so. Sure why don't all players just dive infront of a ball heading for a throw or a goal kick and wrap their arms around it. Won't get you sent off so might aswell.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The ball was curling , could of went in , may not of , who is to say ?

Handling the ball whilst on the goal line is idiotic ( unless your Suarez who pulled of a gem) and 99% of times will result in a peno and red ,

He gave the ref a decision to make and if you do ya suffer the consequences of it

Grand so. Sure why don't all players just dive infront of a ball heading for a throw or a goal kick and wrap their arms around it. Won't get you sent off so might aswell.

And what would be the benefit of that ? They'd get a yellow anyway!

Flamini should have started.

What was Wenger thinking today?

I said that before the game. Both He and Arteta should have started.
    Wenger is very poor tactically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

Arsene should walk sooner rather than later , constantly getting drummings from the the top teams is starting to take the gloss off what he achieved at the Club.

Mate in work said to me that Ozil was a luxury buy, although I had my doubts because Jose used to always whip him off before the end of a game it has really shown his first big splurge into the transfer market has been a failure, started well but faded terribly, I know he is out injured but looking at the bench and I see a player brought in January and was injured then and only back on the bench now , ( Kalstrom ) thats a shocking bit of transfer dealing.

Ozil is typical of the type of players he likes , plays beautiful football but doesnt like the nitty gritty .

As a Chelsea fan I was looking forward to a great game , Im left feeling sorry for Arsenal and their fans after that first half.

How can you make a call like that when he's not even a full season into his Arsenal career? Robert Pires, a World Cup winner upon joning Arsenal was pretty poor in his first season, look how that turned out. That's just one example, I could think of countless other examples at Arsenal and other clubs of players who had difficult first seasons but eventually acclimatized, many of those players commanded large transfer fees.

Ozil has come into the PL in a fiercely competitive season. Up until today there were 4 teams believing they had a shot at the title, another 3 or 4 going for a CL place and about 7 or 8 teams looking over their shoulders hoping to avoid relegation. Honestly, people will jump at any opportunity to slate Ozil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

copacetic wrote: »
    No, really?

Perhaps it's a hard concept for you to grasp, but as it's a discussion forum, obvious things are pointed out pretty regularly.

I would have thought with your post count, you might have figured that one out by now.

greendom wrote: »
    And what would be the benefit of that ? They'd get a yellow anyway!

Well sure exactly. What was the benefit of Ox trying to save a ball that was heading out for a goal kick to his own team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Has anyone considered the ref awarded a penalty for Ox's handball and judged it not be a goalscoring oppurtunity so no red card and that Gibbs has been sent off for something else ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I said that before the game. Both He and Arteta should have started.
    Wenger is very poor tactically.

I think Wenger has just been there too long and hasn't adapted to the changes in the game - both on and off the pitch.

Time for a change IMO

Arsenal's season is just crumbling around them.

Injuries to key players have been devestating

• Advertisement

Well sure exactly. What was the benefit of Ox trying to save a ball that was heading out for a goal kick to his own team?

He thought it was going in for sure. But it wasn't. So he shouldn't have been sent off

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

He did, the ball had the opportunity to go in, he denied it that opportunity.

The fact that it looked like it MIGHT be going wide doesn't come in to it. It hadn't gone wide yet so it had loads of opportunities to go in, wind, curling, crowd blowing it, heavy sideways rain.

When a player going through on goal has an opportunity to score it is probably generally less of an opportunity than that ball had.

The ball was curling , could of went in , may not of , who is to say ?

Handling the ball whilst on the goal line is idiotic ( unless your Suarez who pulled of a gem) and 99% of times will result in a peno and red ,

He gave the ref a decision to make and if you do ya suffer the consequences of it
    So the ball was curling, and could've went anywhere, but it was handled on the "goal line". What kind of curl was on the ball that it could've curled from the goal line to go wide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Mariner: your off Gibbs
    Gibbs: I'm not ox-chamberlain
    Mariner: shut up Walcott

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Has anyone considered the ref awarded a penalty for Ox's handball and judged it not be a goalscoring oppurtunity so no red card and that Gibbs has been sent off for something else ?

no ref has admitted it was a case of mistaken identity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Gibbs to Marriner:

BjVYfebCcAA2Ob_.jpg

Thats silly though. I mean he was hardly going to confuse Merte with Ox was he?

How can you make a call like that when he's not even a full season into his Arsenal career? Robert Pires, a World Cup winner upon joning Arsenal was pretty poor in his first season, look how that turned out. That's just one example, I could think of countless other examples at Arsenal and other clubs of players who had difficult first seasons but eventually acclimatized, many of those players commanded large transfer fees.

Ozil has come into the PL in a fiercely competitive season. Up until today there were 4 teams believing they had a shot at the title, another 3 or 4 going for a CL place and about 7 or 8 teams looking over their shoulders hoping to avoid relegation. Honestly, people will jump at any opportunity to slate Ozil.

You can quote me on this next year if lights up the world next , but I think he is luxury player .

Is more than likely going to loose his place with the German Squad and goes missing in all the big games for Arsenal , not really a discussion for here and I prob should not of added into my comment.

A clean sheet now would be the next target

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

So the ball was curling, and could've went anywhere, but it was handled on the "goal line". What kind of curl was on the ball that it could've curled from the goal line to go wide?

I love the way you're nit-picking at the wording of every post just to try to discredit them :o

Player was on the goal line ........... ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement