Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 brides!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mslady

Milly33 wrote: »
    We went into town at the weekend looking for suits and found loverly Ted Baker stuff but tis a bit out of budget for us too, tis like mmm

We got a 3 piece Ted Baker suit in Kildare Village for about half the price it was in the main store for a similar suit, I think the shop was Moss Brothers? Well worth a look if you're down that way! They wouldnt have the exact same range but still lovely suits.

Interesting to hear nobody's really doing flip flops...on *other* wedding forums they talk about them as if its not even questioned that its done!! I may do a small basket for the toilets and leave it there then!

Got the suit accessories (shirt/belt/shoes) sorted yday as well as our cheese cake (not having a real cake) - feels good to tick stuff off the list! 7 weeks to go on Thursday!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Kildare village have a ted baker outlet and they are about half the regular price so that might bring it in on budget.

I am doing a flipflop and toiletry basket. I always use the toiletries, so handy to have deodorant, hairspray etc. I've got the toiletry basket almost done, for lots of it i just went through my presses and drawers at home. I had loads of products that i only used once or twice but are still perfect so i popped them all in a basket and need to buy only a couple of things.

I wasn't going to do flipflops as i dont think they are needed and i don't use them myself as i usually wear tights but we are getting married in the summer so many women will have bare legs. I bought about 20 pairs in penneys for €25. I already had baskets for these as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

ahayes84 wrote: »
    Kildare village have a ted baker outlet and they are about half the regular price so that might bring it in on budget.

I am doing a flipflop and toiletry basket. I always use the toiletries, so handy to have deodorant, hairspray etc. I've got the toiletry basket almost done, for lots of it i just went through my presses and drawers at home. I had loads of products that i only used once or twice but are still perfect so i popped them all in a basket and need to buy only a couple of things.

I wasn't going to do flipflops as i dont think they are needed and i don't use them myself as i usually wear tights but we are getting married in the summer so many women will have bare legs. I bought about 20 pairs in penneys for €25. I already had baskets for these as well.

As a matter or interest, what kind of baskets do you use for the toiletries and flip flops?

We have planned to do a flip flop basket but never thought of a toiletries one... is this usually just for the ladies, presume so? Sounds like a nice touch.

I used a large rectangle wicker basket for the flipflops. About 45cm x 30cmi bought them in heatons years ago. For the toiletries i used a smaller basket. I think penneys sell a set of 2 for €8. If you don't have any baskets i'd ask around your friends and family to see if they have ones they can lend you as you only need them for a few days.

I'm not going to do a basket for the gents toilet but i will put deodorant, chewing gum and maybe hair gel in there. It was my fiances idea s he says suits are hot in the summer and men sweat too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I used a large rectangle wicker basket for the flipflops. About 45cm x 30cmi bought them in heatons years ago. For the toiletries i used a smaller basket. I think penneys sell a set of 2 for €8. If you don't have any baskets i'd ask around your friends and family to see if they have ones they can lend you as you only need them for a few days.

Or just put the stuff on a corner of the counter in the bathroom.

Or just put the stuff on a corner of the counter in the bathroom.

Yeah works just as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Yeah works just as well!

(I'm a very lazy bride)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Anything it doesn't even have to be a basket as mentioned just something nice... Going to have both men and womans ones and of course the flip flops..

Yeah we were only up in the outlet centre last week, was well impressed. Well not with the lads in Ted Barker oh one of them was there scratching his man bits. I get the kids doing it but he was older. See tisnt a full suit, it is more like pants, shirt and waistcoat, but yes maybe tis worth another trip up there..I didn't think we saw anything in there but I wonder if I sent an email just asking beforehand.. There was another lovely shop Pink on the way in and they had some nice stuff too...

Congrats on all the ticking off, going for chees to jinx, love the stuff

I saw on a couple of (Irish) forums that people put condoms into the toiletries baskets. While obviously it's a matter for each bride and groom to decide their approach, I am not sure I would be minded to go that far - an interesting one though - think I'll keep it simple myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I actually think that's quite a good idea - there's nothing outrageous about it if they're just there with the toiletries! Better safe than sorry anyway :)

Actually have condoms on the list... Now I wouldn't if twas a hotel, but tis more like a rented place and I don't think they do have a condom machine there, must put that on the list for things to check. But just incase they don't and someone gets lucky Johnnys got you covered..

Now things like little mini vibrators would be a step too far but condoms me thinks are ok. Was shocked the last day to see a vending machine in the pub for mini vibrators never saw it before..

Actually have condoms on the list... Now I wouldn't if twas a hotel, but tis more like a rented place and I don't think they do have a condom machine there, must put that on the list for things to check. But just incase they don't and someone gets lucky Johnnys got you covered..

Now things like little mini vibrators would be a step too far but condoms me thinks are ok. Was shocked the last day to see a vending machine in the pub for mini vibrators never saw it before..

Yeah mini vibrators might be a tad too much alright... Would imagine they'd be the most used though out of the whole set... But not as they were intended... I could see plenty being waved about the dance floor at about 1am

haha skitting I could just imagine it... I am sure it would be funny but yes way overboard to be putting them in.. I could see a nan walking out asking how to work the lighter

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Any of my fellow brides going the traditional ceremony route?
    I'm having the works but just wondering how many hymns do I need to choose? Have non-hymns picked for entering and leaving the church so just need hymns for the actual mass part..

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭littlenubbin85

Well you'll need hymns for:

Entrance Procession
    Lighting of the Candles- "Ceremony of Light"
    Responsorial Psalm
    Liturgy of the Eucharist
    Communion Antiphon -x2 depending on how big your group is
    Signing of the Register- x2
    Recessional

Some people do music/hymns for the Sign of Peace/Gospel Acclamation as well.

Thanks littlenubbin..
    we have songs picked for entrance procession, signing of the register and recessional. Priest doesn't mind if they're not hymns. Just need to get choosing the others now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Here's where we are having music...

Entrance
    Lighting of candles(short instrumental)
    Lighting of memorial candle (short poem to instrumental)
    Responsorial psalm (unless you think a member of the congregation would like to read one
    Lighting of marriage candles(short instrumental)
    Offertory procession(instrumental works best here, I think)
    Communion(depending on size of congregation, 2 pieces might be needed here)
    Reflection (optional)
    Signing of register(this can take time, there's usually photo taking afterwards, so best to have two prepared here)
    Recessional piece (something nice and lively works well here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

kildareash wrote: »

The shoes are €120, but I have the brand name and I'm going to see if I can get them cheaper online somewhere. They were a teeny bit tight when I first tried them on but so comfy to stand and walk in and just fab looking. actually she had loads of really fab shoes to choose from.

where was this?! I'm really worried about the shoes as I'm a size 8 with bunions and I never wear heels. I'll need a little heel to carry off the dress though

I was in musgraves a couple of weeks ago and i checked champagne prices. At first glance it seemed reasonable, Moet came to around €50 with VAT added on. You would see this price in tesco.

The hard thing is that all prices are without VAT so you think you are getting a good deal until you hit the register. I think you are better off buying from the likes of Dunnes.

They have 25% off when you buy 4 bottles at the moment

Argh I'm only seeing this post now! Moet is 50 euro per bottle in Tesco and in Super Value so there's no saving to be had in Musgraves so? What's the point of Musgraves then....? I must check out the Dunnes offer

• Advertisement

where was this?! I'm really worried about the shoes as I'm a size 8 with bunions and I never wear heels. I'll need a little heel to carry off the dress though

The shop was in carlow, but the brand is perfect vintage. Had a quick google last night and can't find any other Irish suppliers. But there was plenty in the UK. I tried on 2 pairs of shoes in this line and both were really comfy. Bit of a platform on the front, and a nice stiletto heel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Argh I'm only seeing this post now! Moet is 50 euro per bottle in Tesco and in Super Value so there's no saving to be had in Musgraves so? What's the point of Musgraves then....? I must check out the Dunnes offer

Musgraves is not much good to the 'normal' punter. However if you are in the food and drink industry you can claim the VAT back. We have a Musgraves card (partners company) but can't claim back as its not food and drink. We looked at wine at Christmas and Tescos was cheaper!

Entrance
    Responsorial psalm (unless you think a member of the congregation would like to read one
    Reflection (optional)
    Signing of register(this can take time, there's usually photo taking afterwards, so best to have two prepared here)

Thanks a mill Kildareash.. that is really really helpful :)

teggers5 wrote: »
    Thanks a mill Kildareash.. that is really really helpful :)

No problem...you don't have to have music in all those places either. I'm probably a bit OTT with it, because the ceremony is really important to me.
    Also, check with your priest about what non-religious music he allows and where.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭CorkClaire82

Entrance
    Reflection (optional)

This is very helpful for us too, I know all this stuff but we really need to get the finger out and decided. We know what we are having for my entrance and for the recessional but beyond that no clue :) Must sit down some evening with a glass of wine and just figure it out.

For the person who asked earlier about Shoes of Prey, I've ordered my "main" wedding shoes from there and they are FAB. I wanted colour and didn't feel like trawling shops to find the exact one so went with there. I'm currently trying to find out if I'll have time to order my flats from there too. Talk about spoiling myself :)

Dovies wrote: »
    Musgraves is not much good to the 'normal' punter. However if you are in the food and drink industry you can claim the VAT back. We have a Musgraves card (partners company) but can't claim back as its not food and drink. We looked at wine at Christmas and Tescos was cheaper!

I won't bother with it so!

They have a loverly emotivo prosecco in well the ballintemple food store at the moment, would think it is on sale in carry out too €12.99

I'm going to try Super Valu for wine. Was in there at the weekend and they had a few bottles for 8 euro, and hopefully if I'm buying 100 bottles (50 red 50 white) they'd give me a discount as well. That would mean my wine would be 8 + 12.50= 20.50 as opposed to 23/25 euro per bottle if I go with the venue wine. Overall I'd only save 300 euro but a saving is still a saving!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

teggers5 wrote: »
    Thanks littlenubbin..
    we have songs picked for entrance procession, signing of the register and recessional. Priest doesn't mind if they're not hymns. Just need to get choosing the others now.

I sing at weddings. I'd recommend instrumentals for the lighting of the candles. It can be a bit dragged out if you put a song here.
    That's great that your priest is easy going, nothin worse than the priest making he musicians change the music on the morning of the wedding.

• Advertisement

Oh they had a loverly red in there a few weeks ago. I cant remember the name it could have been a malbec maybe it was done from €17 to €8

Oh they had a loverly red in there a few weeks ago. I cant remember the name it could have been a malbec maybe it was done from €17 to €8

In Supervalue?

Yep, if your in cork it was the one in Mahon that I picked it up in, in the main store... Sorry I am looking on their site to what it was but I cannot tell... They have some yummie ones anywho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

Yep, if your in cork it was the one in Mahon that I picked it up in, in the main store... Sorry I am looking on their site to what it was but I cannot tell... They have some yummie ones anywho

Was it this Milly?

https://supervalu.ie/offers/all-offers/trapiche-malbec-75cl

Oh jes I am not sure, I will ask himself and see if he remembers which one it was. It could have been but I cant be sure sorry.. Just see the Rib Shack on offer too that's another good one

ncur wrote: »

Great I didn't realise I could look them up online! I thought they might be store-specific deals. Going to ring the offie manager in there with this screen open when I get home from work!

• Advertisement

ncur wrote: »

I was talking to the manager in Super Valu. They are doing a wine promotion Easter week where for every 6 bottles you buy, you get a tenner off. It also applies to the wine on special offer (8 euro a bottle)

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

Bought our wedding rings yesterday! We didn't really intend to but we got a good deal on them and paid our deposit! We'll have them in 3 weeks. Bit concerned about taking care of them for that long esp when we'll be moving house soon! Also lost 4lbs last week!

Anyone have any experience with Yvonne Harrington for dressmaking? Got a good quote from here that's within my budget. Sarah Foy is a little outside it - is it worth pushing my budget to go with her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

CBFi wrote: »
    Bought our wedding rings yesterday! We didn't really intend to but we got a good deal on them and paid our deposit! We'll have them in 3 weeks. Bit concerned about taking care of them for that long esp when we'll be moving house soon! Also lost 4lbs last week!

Anyone have any experience with Yvonne Harrington for dressmaking? Got a good quote from here that's within my budget. Sarah Foy is a little outside it - is it worth pushing my budget to go with her?

Sarah Foy is pretty amazing, have a chat with her and she may be able to advise you how to reduce the prize i.e. less material or the likes?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 caveatemptor1

Hi Everyone
    just a little tip on prosecco and cava, M&S have lovely prosecco and its usually €16.99 per bottle. However at the moment its 2 for €24 which is comparable with Lidl and Aldi in price! Additionally, when you buy over 12 bottles you get an extra 10% off. We bought 36 bottles at the weekend!

Ladies a few qns...apologies if these have come up before in the thread, I'm a recent addition! Page boys - what do they do/carry? I know flower girls will have to have flowers to carry...but page boys?
    Are any of ye thinking of doing sun beds for the big day? I have never done them before and would be totally anti-them but hate the thought of a dress covered in fake tan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Ladies a few qns...apologies if these have come up before in the thread, I'm a recent addition! Page boys - what do they do/carry? I know flower girls will have to have flowers to carry...but page boys?
    Are any of ye thinking of doing sun beds for the big day? I have never done them before and would be totally anti-them but hate the thought of a dress covered in fake tan!

I wouldnt use a sun bed. And i wont be having fake tan either. Just going to embrace the pale. A good photographer should make you look good in the photos anyway.

Page boys can carry the rings on a cushion. (possibly not the real rings)

I wouldn't normally use the tans either, I must say it has been in my head. But I wouldn't go tan booth, more maybe some nice shimmer fake tan or something.. I wouldn't do it if you don't do it normally..

Planning to have my two nephews not really as page boys as such we aren't given them a title unless they really want it, but was hoping they would maybe walk to two girls down the aisle... So wouldn't give them anything to hold...or if they are getting anything they will be getting bubble guns

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mslady

I wouldn't normally go for a tanner but I'm thinking of a couple of coats (!) of a gradual tanner - I used the Cocoa Brown one over 2 nights before my hen and it just took the purple/blue/white glow out of my arms without making me look abnormally brown! Gradual tanner would be safer for me anyway as any patches you miss arent glaringly obvious and can be covered in the next round!

I'm going to be pale and interesting! Still trying to fade the cycling freckle lines on my arms from last summer - they won't just feck off and it's already March...

Fake tan would just look totally orange on me, no interest there.

On that note, I know it did try the J&J one the gradually glow tan moistures and I think it was the garnier one. Is there any good one ye have come across that doesn't rub off or has that horrible tan smell that is quite nice. I think Palmers used to do one maybe that would be good.

Freckle lines sure they are cute no...haha I still laugh when someone told me once that they could give me cream to fix the freckles on my face.. the cheek

Freckle lines sure they are cute no...haha I still laugh when someone told me once that they could give me cream to fix the freckles on my face.. the cheek

They were bloody ridiculous by the autumn last year, pretty much a solid line on my arms at the point where a short sleeved cycling jersey or running top stops, and I also had some on my back from the sleeveless tops and swimsuits I wore! I'm kinda hoping it stays cool until 23 May this year tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

Word of warning on the tan from a photographers perspective. Overdo it and either you'll look like a tangerine or your guests will look like pale zombies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm really paranoid about tan lines :o. I have a strapless gown and I live in Vancouver where the weather will be savage from about May onwards. I'm freaking out that I'll have terrible racer back tan lines from exercise clothes! I'll have to make a serious effort to sunbathe in strapless bikinis on the weekends.

How far in advance do you need to order wedding rings? Wedding rings are quite a bit more affordable than engagement rings, yeah?

Faith wrote: »
    How far in advance do you need to order wedding rings? Wedding rings are quite a bit more affordable than engagement rings, yeah?

It depends on what you want. I had first thought i would go somewhere like h samuel for a wedding ring as i felt i got a fab engagement ring no need to buy a very expensive wedding ring. But i found they did very little in 18c white gold which my engagement ring is made of.

Also i had an unusual engagement ring band so it was really hard to find a ring that complimented it so i got mine made. It cost 1150 for my band with pave diamonds and my OH's palladium band. I had costed similar in Jewellery stores and it was working out more expensive to buy from them.

It took about 4 weeks to get our bands made but we specifically said we were in no rush.

We just ordered ours in store (basic yellow gold bands), made the order on a Saturday and collected them the following Thursday. We both have relatively small, slim hands so they had to order in our sizes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement