Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 brides!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 pablo102

bluebell27 wrote: »
    Rainbow, i am sorry for your loss. This is one that not all the guests would see but i think its a nice idea.i am going to have a locket with photos of my grandparents who have passed away attached to my bouquet so they will be walking down the aisle with me. We are also having a photo slideshow at the drinks reception so their wedding photo and others of them will be included.

Great idea bluebell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

nosietoes wrote: »
    Just back from the make up trial and after a bit of trial and error my eyeshadow is great... But I'm finding the foundation a bit hard to get used to. It's so much heavier than my normal. Did anyone else feel like that? It's Estée lauder double wear light which sounds like it shouldn't feel heavy... I normally wear Chanel teint lumiere.

I would be the same about lighter foundation and I hated double wear. It's very heavy in my opinion and after trying it on a counter I couldn't wait to get it off when I got home. The MUA should do another trial free of charge if you aren't happy with another foundation if you say it to them. I know my friend recently when back for this and the MUA had other options. I'd recommend looking at Armani as it's light but very good for coverage and also some of the Lancome foundations are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

nosietoes wrote:
    Just back from the make up trial and after a bit of trial and error my eyeshadow is great... But I'm finding the foundation a bit hard to get used to. It's so much heavier than my normal. Did anyone else feel like that? It's Estée lauder double wear light which sounds like it shouldn't feel heavy... I normally wear Chanel teint lumiere.

I wear double wear light and I don't find it that heavy. But it is a full coverage foundation. Cld your mua use something else?

I had my hair and makeup trial last weekend too. I was going to a wedding so it was a good test of how it lasted. Hair felt very loose but lasted, wasn't very impressed with make up. It looked lovely and I got lots of compliments but it settled into the fine lines around my eyes very quickly and made me look old. Also half way through the mass oh told me I looked like I had a mustache whatever way it was showing up my pores.
    I have lots of recommendations for different people, but the only girl who has been recommended more than once is very expensive. Would be almost €200 for myself and 2 bmaids without callout charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Not saying anything but Estee Lauder is supposed to be suited to more older skin isn't it. That's what I was always told, older meaning around the 40mark not saying that is old.. It is so hard to get a nice makeup nowadays there are so many out there. Oh no kildareash with the mustache maybe it was just the lighting in there. Did she use a primer...

I started face brushing the last few months and I must say I think it defo makes a difference on the pores. Just went into Pennys and got a brush for €1.50 and use it every 2nd day maybe.

Must get moving on booking trials now, still don't have a dress so not sure what styles to go with

I couldn't figure out how to spell it but Shiseido makeup is suppose to be very good

I use the Estée lauder for the coverage...I have typical irish complexion that I've tried to fight for years. EL is the only thing that completely covers it and stays put!

For himself to notice it really must have been bad. She did use a primer and I had cleansed, toned and moisturised. I asked one of my girlfriends outside the church and she said it was grand. MIL also thought it was very matt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

kildareash wrote: »
    I use the Estée lauder for the coverage...I have typical irish complexion that I've tried to fight for years. EL is the only thing that completely covers it and stays put!

For himself to notice it really must have been bad. She did use a primer and I had cleansed, toned and moisturised. I asked one of my girlfriends outside the church and she said it was grand. MIL also thought it was very matt.

Still though, you don't want a Ronnie on your wedding day!

Still though, you don't want a Ronnie on your wedding day!

Can u imagine?! Think I'll get a few more recommendations from friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

Can u imagine?! Think I'll get a few more recommendations from friends.

What part of country are you in? I can recommend someone in Sligo area that's amazing She's doing my wedding but I've gone for years to her. She did two of my friends weddings recently and they looked gorgeous

Defo go with the judgement of himself he will be truthful, friends are great but at the same time think weve all done it where one asks and your like no your not caked in makeup a man will be honest

• Advertisement
  • Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Also half way through the mass oh told me I looked like I had a mustache whatever way it was showing up my pores.

When I read this initially, I thought he had said it during the mass at your wedding. :eek:

Maybe sort out an alternative foundation or wax beforehand but I'd have him well warned that even if I were practically Sellick-like on the day, any moustache talk is banned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Just on the subject of make up, skin, complexions etc. For anyone that hasn't tried it and is worried about how their make up will sit on the day, I'd highly recommend microdermabrasion in the lead up!! I am a Beauty Therapist and have worked with this before and can't recommend it highly enough, your make up just glides onto your skin after it! Great for giving a nice dewy complexion 😊 just my opinion x

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Gee_G wrote: »
    Just on the subject of make up, skin, complexions etc. For anyone that hasn't tried it and is worried about how their make up will sit on the day, I'd highly recommend microdermabrasion in the lead up!! I am a Beauty Therapist and have worked with this before and can't recommend it highly enough, your make up just glides onto your skin after it! Great for giving a nice dewy complexion 😊 just my opinion x

I'm considering getting that done. What timeline would you be looking at? I'm getting married in august - do I need it done more than once, and how close to the wedding should I do it?

Faith wrote: »
    I'm considering getting that done. What timeline would you be looking at? I'm getting married in august - do I need it done more than once, and how close to the wedding should I do it?

I've got the same questions as Faith! :)

Oh good suggestion. I had microdermabrasion years ago and my skin was amazing after it. Will definitely put it on my to-do if I have any money left list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

I've got the same questions as Faith! :)
    Me three.

Roughy what does it cost?

My skin is flakey with patches of rosacea, am I suitable for it or should I avoid it?

Are any of these microdermabrasion?

http://www.citywax.ie/index.php/services-prices/facials

Microderm is a whole-face procedure, so those CityWax ones wouldn't be the same. It'd have the term 'microdermabrasion' in the name. It's usually E100+ per treatment, I think. This is one in Cork that I found on google. That Xpose article it shows is a bit cheeky though. It says "A course of treatments is recommended", but in the body of the text, it says "There's some evidence that it increases collagen production, so multiple sessions may improve results". Seems like a marketing scam that you'd need a course of them!

Microderm is a whole-face procedure, so those CityWax ones wouldn't be the same. It'd have the term 'microdermabrasion' in the name. It's usually E100+ per treatment, I think. This is one in Cork that I found on google. That Xpose article it shows is a bit cheeky though. It says "A course of treatments is recommended", but in the body of the text, it says "There's some evidence that it increases collagen production, so multiple sessions may improve results". Seems like a marketing scam that you'd need a course of them!

From this it souds like if you're not using it to correct skin issues, if you have normal skin and just want to use it for a boost for your wedding, 1 session the week before the wedding would suffice. I just have horrible visions of something going wrong though....rem Samantha in SATC??

• Advertisement

That's what I'm afraid of! Or breaking out spectacularly from it. Think I'll get one soon and see how it goes, then plan to get one shortly before my wedding (I'll see what the beauty therapist advises).

That's what I'm afraid of! Or breaking out spectacularly from it. Think I'll get one soon and see how it goes, then plan to get one shortly before my wedding (I'll see what the beauty therapist advises).

Let us know how you get on!

Will do :)

Question about invitations: It's normal to have the guests names written on the invitations, right? As in "We request the pleasure of John and Mary" or "John and Guest". We're in a pickle with our invitations in that we're designing them from Canada, but a friend is printing them in Ireland for free and my MIL is posting them. I'm going to also need to ask someone to fill in the names on the invites if it's the norm to include them.

Also, does anyone know where I could get address labels ordered and printed online? I looked at vista print, but they only seem to do sheets of the same address, rather than different addresses on each label.

Yep complete norm to have the names written on the invites. You could save time and have the names printed on them but this is a lot of work for the person printing, or you could leave the names out and just have it on the envelope but this leaves it open then for questions (lets say with families who exactly is invited and who is not).

Mmm with the labels don't know anywhere to print, but you can download the templates for the labels. Then do them up yourself and then maybe give money to your friend who is doing the printing to go out and get labels and print for you..

If you are looking the 5star brand of printing labels is fine for something like this, you could order online direct to your friend who is print.. I have the templates for these and for the avery labels already downloaded if you want me to send them on...

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭An Bhanríon

I put the guests' names on the invitations. In some cases I was inviting children and in other cases I wasn't so I wanted to be sure to write down exactly who I was inviting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Norm here is to have names on the invites. From what I can see in the US it's to use an inner and outer envelope. The outer envelope has the name and postal address, the inner envelope has the names of who's invited. That might work for you? Easier to arrange to print to an envelope then to handwrite each name in.

It does mean more work putting the invites together for whoever is doing it.

Address labels are easy enough to print yourself with excel and a home computer.
    Description Here

You could do it yourself and post them over or put the spreadsheet together and have someone with a printer and excel competency print them out. Would that work on that front?

I've also heard of people printing directly to envelopes which might look nice too? (especially for the inner envelope)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Extraplus

It is the norm to have names written on invites, but we didn't. It just didn't work with the style of invite we went for in the end, so there were no names on invites. We just wrote the names of everyone who was invited when addressing the envelopes.

SORRY SORRY!! I completely forgot to check this thread again after I posted about the microdermabrasion!!:)

Its a great treatment for the likes of smoothing out fine lines and wrinkles and even some scarring(keloid, acme scarring too sometimes depending on the extent), if it was for one of these reasons that you wanted it done, yes I'd recommend a course of treatments! But having one treatment maybe the week before the wedding will suffice if it is just to give your skin a boost! Make sure and go to a reputable salon because no more than any other hair/beauty treatments, you want to make sure the therapist is trained in it! For the week following the treatment, use a good hydrating moisturizer and maybe once or twice use a hydrating mask before the wedding.

It really is amazing!:)

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    Me three.

Roughy what does it cost?

My skin is flakey with patches of rosacea, am I suitable for it or should I avoid it?

If you're skin/ rosacea is highly sensitive and reactive I'd avoid it, but maybe if you only have small patches of it those areas could be avoided and the machine used on a very low setting.I have hyper sensitive skin(no rosacea though) and ive still had it done quite a few times! !maybe contact a salon that does it and ask for a consultation and see what they say when they have a look at your skin!

Yes it generally costs about €100, which generally includes a full facial, including hydrating mask, the reason its so expensive is because of how expensive the little exfoliating crystals that are used are, so if someone's offering it to you for like €20....em, avoid it haha x

Thanks for the input, everyone. I left space for names when we did up our invites but at that time, I'd assumed I'd be filling them in. It's such a minor detail, but I really want nice handwriting on them and I can't think of anyone whose writing is nice enough :o. Ah, I'll manage though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

We wrote on the back along with some info. No fancy writing though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

If you're skin/ rosacea is highly sensitive and reactive I'd avoid it, but maybe if you only have small patches of it those areas could be avoided and the machine used on a very low setting.I have hyper sensitive skin(no rosacea though) and ive still had it done quite a few times! !maybe contact a salon that does it and ask for a consultation and see what they say when they have a look at your skin!

Yes it generally costs about €100, which generally includes a full facial, including hydrating mask, the reason its so expensive is because of how expensive the little exfoliating crystals that are used are, so if someone's offering it to you for like €20....em, avoid it haha x

I'm just home from the beauticians (laser treatment on my legs, oh what we women put ourselves through!), she said she wouldn't recommend microdermabrasion for my skin but would recommend a Dr Murad facial for redness instead.

I would nearly send himself for a close shave the morning before just after reading all these things that ye ladies are doing.. The things we do alright its crazy but sure if we want to why not..

Incase anyone is looking for cheesewheels I can say have a chat with the Traditional Cheese company. I had tried a few places like dairygold and those asking to buy a big cheese wheel of my fav cheese and was told no, and said I would ring them and after meeting him this evening im sold. Very nice and doesn't cost an arm and a leg pending what you go for

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bubbles1987

Hey girls. Have any of you bought bridesmaid dresses online from the cheaper sites?? If so, are they ok?? My budget is low for the dresses but im scared of ordering them online in case the site are scams. Thanks xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Hey girls. Have any of you bought bridesmaid dresses online from the cheaper sites?? If so, are they ok?? My budget is low for the dresses but im scared of ordering them online in case the site are scams. Thanks xx

I ordered one last year from inwedding.com. I talked about it here and there is a photo so you can see for yourself http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89439584&postcount=22

The only thing is I realised after I got the dress that the shape wasn't a good one on me so do get your bridesmaids to try on dresses to see what suits before ordering. For example I should know that gathered chiffon around my waist is not a good idea as I'm an hourglass and it just adds bulk to my waist however I didn't think like that when ordering.

Milly33 wrote: »
    I would nearly send himself for a close shave the morning before just after reading all these things that ye ladies are doing.. The things we do alright its crazy but sure if we want to why not..

My other half was scalded during a hot towel shave a couple of weeks ago. The steam machine malfunctioned or something and water dribbled out on to his neck. We were going to a wedding a couple of days later and he couldn't button the top button on his shirt!

Have you looked in any shops? Keep an eye out for sales in Debenhams, Coast etc. You can get great bargains. I got 2 bridesmaid dresses for half of what I had budgeted for one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

My dress is in. Just made appointment for first fitting. Ho hum...

Yeah I hope it is fab now, lucky you... would love to get it out of the way..

fits wrote: »
    My dress is in. Just made appointment for first fitting. Ho hum...

Oooh...exciting!

Hot towel shave sounds scary perhaps Ill knock that one of the list... I still have the image in my head of my dad getting one out in the markets spots in Dubai. they were so talented had him shaved and pruned in two seconds with a cut throat razor..

so jealous or ye all who have yer dresses. Still looking for one although I took a break recently and need to get the ladies dresses too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Bridesmaid shoes arrived here today - happy shoes-day for my little sis!

Need to get my dress altered soon, got mine a year ago and it's now too big on me :eek:

• Advertisement

Milly33 wrote: »
    so jealous or ye all who have yer dresses. Still looking for one although I took a break recently and need to get the ladies dresses too..

How long until your wedding Milly? You will find something. The last place I went to wasn't a fancy shop, but the ladies had been doing it all their lives and they just knew what suited my body shape. I found it so different to the other shops, where they were just trying to sell you a product.
    Might be a useful exercise to go to one of those places
    ]Bridesmaid shoes[/url] arrived here today - happy shoes-day for my little sis!

Need to get my dress altered soon, got mine a year ago and it's now too big on me :eek:

Love the shoes! Killer heels!!! Must start keeping a look out for my bmaids.

I'm on my accessories hunt now...can't decide what headdress to go for and I want wow shoes that won't hurt my feet and I'll be able to dance in! Not asking for much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

I want wow shoes that won't hurt my feet and I'll be able to dance in! Not asking for much!

You can see my shoes with my dress so I wanted them to be gorgeous! They're stunning but a bit high to be walking around in all day so I ordered a customised pair of converse to dance in in the evening!

Just under two weeks until my big day :eek:

Going on my hens this weekend, silly the weekend before the wedding I know but it was the only time that suited everyone!

Getting really excited, only downside is I have a huge spot on my chin :mad:
    This always happens when I have something important coming up, got a giant one on my 21st too. But it's starting to heal already so should be either fully healed or easily covered with make up come the day!

Toothpaste works wonders, put some of that one the spot whenever you can and even going to bed it will dry it up.. Spots are a pain theres just no end to what we have to worry about.. Hope the hen is great whoop you must be buzzing with everything happening..

Oh our own is, I don't want to even type it as Ill know four months away and well we have his suit and I have white flip flops for the next day or for the evening.. My mum picked them up for me me they look so comfy suppose to be massaging crofts ones... Yeah I think I am just going to call to the reg fancy dress shops now as I haven't been too keen on any wedding dresses I tried on, I must call back to the dress maker too with one more idea and see what he says...

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭CorkClaire82

You can see my shoes with my dress so I wanted them to be gorgeous! They're stunning but a bit high to be walking around in all day so I ordered a customised pair of converse to dance in in the evening!

Just under two weeks until my big day :eek:

Going on my hens this weekend, silly the weekend before the wedding I know but it was the only time that suited everyone!

Getting really excited, only downside is I have a huge spot on my chin :mad:
    This always happens when I have something important coming up, got a giant one on my 21st too. But it's starting to heal already so should be either fully healed or easily covered with make up come the day!

I think I'm due that now too, it's Friday week (my wedding is NEXT WEEK!!!) and I'm the same, always get a honker when it's least appreciated. I'm horsing into the water so hoping I'll be ok. I just can't believe my wedding is NEXT WEEK. Starting to get the last few bits organised now but some will just have to be done next week and can't be finished til then.

I've flats for the dancing, they match my heels but were a silly price, ah well :P

I'm on my accessories hunt now...can't decide what headdress to go for and I want wow shoes that won't hurt my feet and I'll be able to dance in! Not asking for much!

I ordered my shoes on shoesofprey.com They aren't cheap but they are AMAZING and very comfy.

Extraplus wrote: »
    I ordered my shoes on shoesofprey.com They aren't cheap but they are AMAZING and very comfy.

I think i may be the reason there is a boards.ie shoesofprey addiction, i told everyone here about them. For perfect shoes weren't cheap but not as expensive as expected either. However i did spend €167 on flats which is crazy.

I think i may be the reason there is a boards.ie shoesofprey addiction, i told everyone here about them. For perfect shoes weren't cheap but not as expensive as expected either. However i did spend €167 on flats which is crazy.

I'd known about them for ages - I was just waiting for an excuse to justify the cost! Thye are definitely good value for the quality you get.

Is that the one where you design your own shoes? I was a little bit scared by it all!ha!

I think I'll probably end up getting two pairs of shoes too. As my dress is shorter, I want to stay in heels for as long as I can, because it does make your legs look better. My aim is to last till the band finishes up, and see how I'm going then.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

If you can, get a small box of alcohol swabs from a chemist. Those little yokes are terrific for drying out spots very visibly within a couple of days, to totally gone in about 5 days. Just swab and let it air dry.
    I used to do mine morning and night, but maybe add in a day time swab too because of time pressures.

• Advertisement

Extraplus wrote: »
    I'd known about them for ages - I was just waiting for an excuse to justify the cost! Thye are definitely good value for the quality you get.

Yeah I doubt I'd buy them at any other time alright but I love them and will definitely recommend again.

My dress is short too so also want to show off the shoes. Sounds like we've a few short dresses in here, cool.

Advertisement