Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 brides!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭CorkClaire82

So doing the last few bits today, feel like I've forgotten something but sure it'll be fine. Going to the venue tomorrow to do the last last few bits, can't believe it's Friday!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

My shoes arrived yesterday. I'm ever so slightly disappointed by them :(. The stitching is a little obvious for the money, and one of the shoes is half a size or so too big :(. I ordered them with a 3 inch heel, or thereabouts, and I *know* I did it for comfort reasons but they look so low!

Canada Post is a for-profit company, so it'll cost me about $50 to send them back, which I'm not willing to spend, so I'll just make good use of the heel and sole inserts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

I just bought another pair of shoes. My cost saving is out the window. First fitting friday so i can look at the two pairs and return the new ones if the first are ok.

Faith can i see your shoes? ( even by pm?)

A mock-up picture or the actual shoes? I can post a picture of the mock up now, or a picture of the real pair in a few hours :)

Faith wrote: »
    A mock-up picture or the actual shoes? I can post a picture of the mock up now, or a picture of the real pair in a few hours :)

Actual i think . Would be nice to see how they came out. I have looked at the site a few times.

[/]

fits wrote: »
    Actual i think . Would be nice to see how they came out. I have looked at the site a few times.

Sure, I'll take a few pictures when I get home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Extraplus

My shoes arrived yesterday. I'm ever so slightly disappointed by them :(. The stitching is a little obvious for the money, and one of the shoes is half a size or so too big :(. I ordered them with a 3 inch heel, or thereabouts, and I *know* I did it for comfort reasons but they look so low!

Canada Post is a for-profit company, so it'll cost me about $50 to send them back, which I'm not willing to spend, so I'll just make good use of the heel and sole inserts!

Awe no Faith, that's such a pity. Hopefully with the inserts they'll be comfy at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭CorkClaire82

Apparently if you send them back you'll get the postage off when you buy other shoes though so if you reckon you'll buy another pair down the line it would be worth it. That's kinda disappointing though.

Tomorrow! I just cannot believe my wedding is TOMORROW!

Best of luck Claire! I hope you have an amazing day x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Chrome342

Congratulations to all new brides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Did you get yours from shoes of prey too faith..what a shame!! I hope the inserts work for you... Suppose it is the worry when ordering online..

Yeah Corkclaire wishing you the happiest of days!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Oh faith, that's such a pity. Hope your able to send them back.

Best of luck corkclaire...Hope you have an amazing day!

Is 2 weeks before the wedding too close for the hen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

kildareash wrote: »
    Oh faith, that's such a pity. Hope your able to send them back.

Best of luck corkclaire...Hope you have an amazing day!

My (non) hen is two weeks before the wedding. It's dinner and drinks in Dublin where most of the attendees live though.

If you want something more elaborate like to go away for a night I'd say it is. If your attendees don't have kids and generally have decent jobs then you can probably get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Robyn_14 wrote: »
    I'm so surprised to hear of this "second wave" notion, don't guests cop this is what's going on? I was told last year by someone that we would be invited to a wedding of a friend if there were people who couldn't go. To be honest I was insulted.

I think it's an awful thing to think of doing. If someone is in your second wave, it's someone who it isn't important to you to have there on your special day. If I was a second wave invitee, I'd honestly just feel either like a reject or a cash cow ready to be milked. I wouldn't accept the invite, and furthermore, I'd think less of the couple. :o

Part of it is that in general I find weddings boring, so I'd be thinking "You want me to go a long, drawn out day and maybe use holidays to attend and go out of pocket and you weren't even that bothered about me being there?"

Totally I'd be insulted too! People should never find out they're second wave!!

How can you have a second wave of invitations if you acknowledge that it's insulting to be a second wave invitee? Just seems disrespectful.

It really isn't. I has nothing to do with well you aren't a great friend. It is more to do with how many you can fit in the venue. Or even think of it as an evening invite if you like...

Evening invites are normally for either lets say friends of the family etc or a friend who you might not have seen for a while. Ok, so lets say you have your day and evening invite.. If someone cant go to whole day invite would you not prefer to ask someone who was maybe on the evening invite to go to the entire thing..

To me I wouldn't care either way, it is hard planning a wedding and keeping everyone happy.

I would like to think I am a bigger person for not getting upset if I found out we were on the second lot of invites. It doesn't mean your any less or any more than others just means really there isn't enough space to invite everyone... It only gets ahhhh if you start reading into it....Whats to be insulted about get over it...

On a nicer note two weeks seems fine once you aren't going to damage any limbs or anything

Evening invites are kinda different. I don't mind being in that second wave because afters are inexpensive to attend (if in the locality), and don't take up the entire day. I've totally understood why I've been an afters invitee in the past ie. I'm a more peripheral friend, or a co-worker. In those instances, I'd have found it odd to "upgraded" to full day guest.

you see I really do think it all depends on the person. Like a lot of my friends would be work, social, neighbours I don't have many but they kinda would all mean the same to me..You have your best buddies but other than that what other friends I have none of them would be more important that the other so it makes no odds if there were there for the entire day or just the evening..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 gingerpele

Second wave makes sense in lots of cases. Take my brother getting married - he likes lot of my friends but couldn't fit them in the venue. They obviously rank below his own mates so they weren't invited. When got 20 people who couldn't go, he had 10 spaces spare so could then invite 5 of my friends with plus ones.

See tis just about ways to move about things...

Corkclaire you go a smasher of a day today. Oh and the weekend will be loverly too Sunshine for all

My (non) hen is two weeks before the wedding. It's dinner and drinks in Dublin where most of the attendees live though.

If you want something more elaborate like to go away for a night I'd say it is. If your attendees don't have kids and generally have decent jobs then you can probably get away with it.

Oh yeah, wasn't thinking that way. Just got caught up in the whole 'i wanna do this' moment.

It's each to their own on the second waves, it works for some couples.

I suppose the main thing is that its done discreetly, so you're not inviting someone with a week's notice.

yes discretion is the key, like who would go putting it on a public forum!! haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

Hope ye had a fab day ! :cool:

First fitting tomorrow. Getting the hair and make up done. Bringing a selection of underwear and two pairs of shoes. Wanna get best possible idea of the ensemble.

• Advertisement

Sorry fits, I got home from work last night and just collapsed on the couch. It was my first day biking to work and it killed me! I'll take pictures tonight :)

Have a great day tomorrow, corkclaire!
    kildareash wrote: »

Mine's a week before because we live abroad. I just had to seriously reign in a best man who wanted the stag on a Thursday night 100 miles away, when the wedding is on the Saturday :rolleyes:

So no, I wouldn't say its too close :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Hope the pic attached!
    Saw these and am in love. Unfortunately just the pic. No idea where the shoes are from :(

I rang a beauty salon today about getting make up done. Said I dont wear much heavy make up.

"you'll look totally washed out if you dont wear it"

"But the groom wont be wearing any" I said. She just replied that men have it easier.

Like wtf. Can people not listen to what you are asking them to do. I have read it now several times that pro photographers have fierce problems with tango'd brides and natural grooms as regards editing the photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Robyn_14

gingerpele wrote: »
    Second wave makes sense in lots of cases. Take my brother getting married - he likes lot of my friends but couldn't fit them in the venue. They obviously rank below his own mates so they weren't invited. When got 20 people who couldn't go, he had 10 spaces spare so could then invite 5 of my friends with plus ones.
    See I think this is the difference really at the end. I wouldn't consider my sisters friends who I "like" to be part of the guest list for my wedding. I just think that my wedding is about the people closest to me sharing the day. I guess that's why I dont have space for second waves in the first place, but each to their own. Last year when it happened I was very put off by it and thought badly of the couple who did it and worse again, said it out loud to another friend who said it to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I rang a beauty salon today about getting make up done. Said I dont wear much heavy make up.

"But the groom wont be wearing any" I said. She just replied that men have it easier.

Like wtf. Can people not listen to what you are asking them to do. I have read it now several times that pro photographers have fierce problems with tango'd brides and natural grooms as regards editing the photos.

I find you do have to be very clear about what you want but generally when I get my makeup done I'm happy. I don't like very heavy foundation etc so most muas focus on priming my skin and getting that looking it's best. They are great for highlighting your best features too. However a bad mua can ruin photographs

• Advertisement

Yeah, I just don't get this. It's like it's a convention and people can't see past it. "You must be orange, nothing else will do".

It's not orange or nothing with make up. Plenty of people were heavy makeup without it looking obvious at all.

I can understand why people double check. Lots of pictures taken in bright light PLUS a white or very pale dress can really wash out anyone's skin tone. If that doesn't concern you, then absolutely don't wear make up. But many people don't realise what an effect the dress colour and lighting can have, so MUAs want to be sure they know what they're asking for. Grooms don't typically wear white, which is why it's probably not mentioned for them ;)

I took a couple of pictures of my shoes. It's hard to capture the colour properly in the light in my apartment, so there's an overexposed picture that shows the material better, and two darkish ones for the shape etc. The colour in the last picture is closest to reality.

Fits, look up make up looks on pinterest or Google and bring some pics that you like with you.
    I've never had professional make up done so I've asked friends for a few recommendations. It's not something I'd be going with a random person on.
    It will feel like they are putting on way too much for even the most natural look

I have a bobbi brown session this weekend. And a trial in a few weeks with salon. There is time yet!

Oh Faith, I think your shoes are fab! The colour is so cool. They are low, but just think how glad you'll be when your feet look lovely but still feel comfy at the end of the night!

I can see what you mean about the stitching being a little obvious, which is disappointing given the price, but I honestly only saw it because you had possible pointed it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

fits try Inglot. They seem to be good at not doing ridiculously over-heavy make up while still making you look fabulous.

I was only looking at ladies this morning driving into work youd nearly see their colour and I mean orangish before you would see them, the ladies seem to plaster themselves in makeup lately..Such a shame.. I hope the bobbi brown goes well for you fits.. If you don't get on well with the makeup lady and that I still think for everyday kinda makeup that adds nice coverage the Gosh is loverly very light

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

I took a couple of pictures of my shoes. It's hard to capture the colour properly in the light in my apartment, so there's an overexposed picture that shows the material better, and two darkish ones for the shape etc. The colour in the last picture is closest to reality.

bróga deasa Faith!! I can't see any stitching, maybe I don't know where I'm supposed to be looking! Will you tell us how much they set you back?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭littlenubbin85

Dovies wrote: »
    Hope the pic attached!
    Saw these and am in love. Unfortunately just the pic. No idea where the shoes are from :(

These are pretty similar!

http://ninashoes.com/nina-electra_1598

Sitting in the car in dublin. Waiting for my sister who got held up in work. Trying not to panic. Fitting is supposed to be in an hour. An hour's drive away.

• Advertisement

Extraplus wrote: »
    Oh Faith, I think your shoes are fab! The colour is so cool. They are low, but just think how glad you'll be when your feet look lovely but still feel comfy at the end of the night!

I can see what you mean about the stitching being a little obvious, which is disappointing given the price, but I honestly only saw it because you had possible pointed it out.

Thank you!
    bróga deasa Faith!! I can't see any stitching, maybe I don't know where I'm supposed to be looking! Will you tell us how much they set you back?

They were CA$239, and then they offered me a $30 discount, so in Euro they were somewhere around the €150 mark. Not crazy expensive, by any means, but most of my shoes come from places like New Look so it was more than I'd thought of spending!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

OMG they are! 4 inch heel though :( way too high

Well I attended my first fitting on my own. And was late. These things happen. I was raging and stressed but im fine now again.

Dress is still lovely and im very happy with the make up job at bobbi brown. Yvonne at BT was great and really listened to me. Things are coming together.

When is your wedding, fits?

Oh no cld your sis not make it?
    Glad you're happy with the make up. It can be a bit of a stresser as it's so important.

Not til july faith but ill be away for five weeks between now and then.

You know, my mental calendar is so off. I was thinking 'July is AGES away; it's very early for a fitting!', but it's only 2.5 months away :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

I sorted out my invitations yesterday. The girl was lovely, I met her for a coffee and she brought all the samples of colours and styles of paper. So they're ordered and will be ready in May.
    My hens is in May and I'm panicking, people are backing out left right and centre :/

Great to have invites sorted! Ive left organising hen very late. Only 2-3 possible weekends left for it before wedding id say. Gonna be low key anyway.

• Advertisement

emzolita wrote: »
    My hens is in May and I'm panicking, people are backing out left right and centre :/

That happened when I was organising my sister's hen. Those things are difficult to plan!

Advertisement