Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 brides!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

I've been pricing a two centre honeymoon in Italy. For 10/12 nights I've gotten quotes from €2900 to €3800. To me it seems mad dear compared to two weeks in Spain or Turkey.

Got my shoes for €40 in Paul Byrons yesterday. Silver with low heel, peep toe and diamanté buckle over the toes.

Off on Wednesday to give our notice to marry.

After a few drinks last night one of my friends let slip where we are going for our mini hen weekend. Oops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Milly33

That seems mad alright for Italy.. Have you looked up Bologna? I haven't been there myself now but it might be someplace we are going. himself and his friends have gone there a few times and they said it is fantastic, lovely quite enough city where you can eat and drink for cheap enough.. it is the city of bolognaise hence the name haha.. But there is lots of historic spots there, and it just looks like heaven..

You could get the boat tips then to the major spots if you wanted for a day or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I don't think the price for an Italian honeymoon is that bad. Italy is considerably more expensive then either Turkey or Spain. Both turkey and spain have huge resorts which cater to a different type of holiday (package Holiday) then you are probably looking for your Honeymoon. Package holidays are generally cheaper as they are aimed at the mass market whereas on Honeymoon you want a more individual/luxurious/special holiday.

id be allergic to one of those typical mass holiday places but then tis each to their own.. God I don't know for those prices you would be wanting to get VIP treatment no

Talking to an aunt yesterday the whole question about civil marriage came up again, I was saying to her no it is the same as a church wedding as such without God.. And she was saying the last two civil she went to, that the couples actually went to the church after or before and got married in the church too.? Find that very odd. Would this just be for God as such it makes no other differance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Milly33 wrote: »
    Talking to an aunt yesterday the whole question about civil marriage came up again, I was saying to her no it is the same as a church wedding as such without God.. And she was saying the last two civil she went to, that the couples actually went to the church after or before and got married in the church too.? Find that very odd. Would this just be for God as such it makes no other differance

No offence to your aunt but was she understanding it properly?
    Or maybe the couple had a blessing and she's confusing it all.

She was just saying that is what those couples did but that she thought this is what you had to do with the civil. That they weren't the same as the church wedding. I said maybe they done it this way to keep the families happy or if they were religious in some way, but she said no that they thought that was what you had to do.

Was this the thing... Someone else mentioned again to himself saying ohh civil isn't the same...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

No, that doesn't make sense, Milly. I'd say your aunt got confused.

We picked out our rings this weekend! The sales assistant knew what she was doing, for sure. I didn't want to spend a lot, but when I described what I wanted, she pulled out the most gorgeous sparkly ring for me! Then she showed me a pile of other ones but of course they just didn't match up. Happily we got a brilliant discount, though, so they still came within our budget :)

Oh I know that's what I mean it seems very odd. Why you would do both things, she said she went to like one of them both ceremonies... Odd indeed..

Congrats on your rings!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

We got groom's ring on Sat as well (I'm using an existing ring for my wedding ring). Did pre marriage course on Sat- Naomi Billings was actually quite interesting! (Most of it). Had my 1st dress fitting on Sun, it needs train removed and to be taken in, result! :-) :-)
    Met priest this morn for first time....we were expecting to fill in the pre-nuptial enquiry form but he said OH has to fill im his with his own priest in Dublin (!?) that's a spanner in the works. We had our baptismal certs & all with us. He said he'd fill in mine for me then I just come im and sign it? We went through mass booklet which I spent hours on, he had no more interest in us than the man on the moon....I got impression I could have ACDC for the entrance procession & he'd be like 'grand'. That's all he said to everything 'grand, grand' weird....

• Advertisement

We got groom's ring on Sat as well (I'm using an existing ring for my wedding ring). Did pre marriage course on Sat- Naomi Billings was actually quite interesting! (Most of it).my 1st dress fitting on Sun, it needs train removed and to be taken in, result! :-) :-)
    Met priest this morn for first time....we were expecting to fill in the pre-nuptial enquiry form but he said OH has to fill im his with his own priest in Dublin (!?) that's a spanner in the works. We had our baptismal certs & all with us. He said he'd fill in mine for me then I just come im and sign it? We went through mass booklet which I spent hours on, he had no more interest in us than the man on the moon....I got impression I could have ACDC for the entrance procession & he'd be like 'grand'. That's all he said to everything 'grand, grand' weird....

I had the opposite experience with my priest. I had almost 2 hours of slow torture getting my form filled. He is a lovely man but elderly, persise and very very s l o w. Thankfully my fiances relative will be doing the ceremony.

The purpose of the mass booklet:
    For the priest
    For the readers
    For those doing the prayers of the faithful
    For the musicians (v.important so they know what to sing when)

If none of those apply I don't think you'll need one, lucky u coz they're a pain in the proverbial. ....I spent a few hours doing it today & that's just A4 so that I'd have something to bring to meet the priest this weekend. Not even started formatting & printing (will wait til he has ok'd readings & music and have confirmed all music with the musicians) which sounds like a nightmare. ..

I have a formatted version if you'd like it. Done it for my nieces wedding last year and I'll be using it for my own wedding too.

Just need to change names, readings, bidding prayers, etc and it's good to go. First pages in document are how you would read it on a screen but I have a fill colour on first and last words on page. Second part is the printed booklet version, as long as the text with fill colour are still the first and last words, it will print and read correctly.

If it's of any help, I'll email it :)

I have a formatted version if you'd like it. Done it for my nieces wedding last year and I'll be using it for my own wedding too.

Just need to change names, readings, bidding prayers, etc and it's good to go. First pages in document are how you would read it on a screen but I have a fill colour on first and last words on page. Second part is the printed booklet version, as long as the text with fill colour are still the first and last words, it will print and read correctly.

If it's of any help, I'll email it :)

Can I have a copy please? I haven't gotten anywhere near that yet.

No bother, I'll get it to ya over next couple of days if that's ok? Just pm me an email addy.

I didn't use a template just worked it out from trial and error but fits perfectly as folded a4 size or even folding that over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bluebell27

We went to a wedding workshop last night which helps plan our spiritualist ceremony. I was in tears several times just talking about how- i am going to be an emotional wreck on the day especially as my OH has just decided we should write our own vows.

Have dress fitting arranged for Saturday which is so exciting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    I've been pricing a two centre honeymoon in Italy. For 10/12 nights I've gotten quotes from €2900 to €3800. To me it seems mad dear compared to two weeks in Spain or Turkey.

Got my shoes for €40 in Paul Byrons yesterday. Silver with low heel, peep toe and diamanté buckle over the toes.

Off on Wednesday to give our notice to marry.

After a few drinks last night one of my friends let slip where we are going for our mini hen weekend. Oops.

There's a lovely little town outside Venice I stayed in years ago. Catch the train into Venice without paying Venice prices. Mad busy in Venice though.

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    I had the opposite experience with my priest. I had almost 2 hours of slow torture getting my form filled. He is a lovely man but elderly, persise and very very s l o w. Thankfully my fiances relative will be doing the ceremony.

Janey mackers.....that's what I was psyched up for, lots of awkward questions about 'responsibilities from previous unions' etc. I know I should be grateful really, I basically have carte blanche when it comes to the music, the reflection after communion etc. I mean I would never use something inappropriate anyway but it's nice to know I have a bit of leeway.....

I think it was just a shocker coz there was 1 hour talk from a priest at the pre-marriage course on Sat and he was so engaged and into the whole thing, he seemed like he really wanted to know about the personalities of the couple and their background etc. I expected at least a few questions like where do ye live, what do ye do for a living, how long have ye known each other or something about our famlies etc. Oh well, makes my life easier I suppose! Onto the next thing on the list....

bluebell27 wrote: »

Have dress fitting arranged for Saturday which is so exciting!

Ooooh fitting is soo much fun! Loved mine there on Sun :):)
    Only thing is my wedding is in 6 weeks and I have 2 weddings and a hen between now and then :eek::eek:
    I'm just going to have to be ridiculously good every other day so I can be bold on those 3 occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've ended up with a couple of mad busy weeks at the moment, had guests over at the weekend and this weekend coming, which means more drink than really should be consumed. Also had a table quiz to go to last night and have a gig on Friday that I really want to go to - a band I haven't seen live since 2008, the rugby at Twickenham on Saturday...

Time to eat lettuce leaves and run miles every day so I'm not bursting my dress on May 23rd :eek:

• Advertisement

My weight loss is not happening at the minute. The harder I try the worse the sugar cravings are. I've lost 10 pounds and can't seem to move past that. I'm running twice a week too. So frustrating.

kildareash wrote: »
    My weight loss is not happening at the minute. The harder I try the worse the sugar cravings are. I've lost 10 pounds and can't seem to move past that. I'm running twice a week too. So frustrating.

I actually have zero sugar cravings it's weird.....it's the fear of God (people seeing me in the wedding dress) just puts me off all things sweet! But I have the savoury cravings alright...was so happy about my dress fitting on Sun and it needing to be taken in I celebrated with chips last night :eek:

Chips ohh tut tut..Sure you well deserve a treat I am sure..

Doesn't this happen a lot with weight loss kildareash where you loose lots and then it just stops for a while..don't loose faith keep up the great work....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭kitten_k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

FINALLY! have honeymoon sussed. Going to Malaysia. Excited now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

Wow fits, that will be amazing :)

Kildareash, why don't you try mixing up your exercise a bit?
    I was the same as you, lost about 9 pounds real fast, hit a plateau but managed to lose another 5!

I did cardio mixed with weights, try and get yourself a set of weights and do a small program. Squats, bench presses, deadlifts etc.

Just be super careful you're doing them properly, there are loads of videos on youtube to show you proper form. Once you get used to it, it'll get easier then up your weights a bit each week.

I did three days of weights, two days of cardio and ate 1200 calories of good food a day and I managed to lose two stone. Of course, now the wedding is over I'm treating myself but once the honeymoon is gone I'm back to training again. I feel so much happier having lost the weight, there's no way I want to put it back on!

Oh and I did this set of exercises everyday, it's not even 10 mins so easy to fit in. It's for banishing bingo wings and I did see a difference. Some of them kill, but push through the pain :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUychjqfO8I

• Advertisement

Oh and I did this set of exercises everyday, it's not even 10 mins so easy to fit in. It's for banishing bingo wings and I did see a difference. Some of them kill, but push through the pain :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUychjqfO8I

Thanks a mil. Just did it there - tough going! Love the brevity though, time is not something i have a lot of at the mo! i'm gonna add that to my daily repertoire of arm workouts and girly-push ups. i actually hurt my back from my bridal prep workouts and had to go for physio he gave me a serious of warm up exercises to do to warm my back up before my daily arm exercises. i also went for a really deep massage, i seem to be out the other side now so i think it will be ok to add more arm workouts to my daily routine without risking injury. hard to tell if it's doing any good but fingers crossed. i'd also love to lose some back fat as my dress dips down into a deep V at the back.
    i totally am at that weight loss plateau now as well. lost a stone and now i've just been hovering on the same weight, not going up (thank christ) but not going down either. i'll just keep doing what i'm doing and hopefully lose another half a stone before the big day. i have 3 weddings in the next 2 months as well as my own, would love to fit into pre-baby frocks for them so i don't have to buy new style, but worst comes to worst they are 3 totally separate crowds so i'll just buy one new fat outfit and wear it to all 3! :D

right, opinions please guys....

'Falling slowly' as 1st dance song???

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yzQ9VrnNQLQ

I Love that song. My only concern is that it'snot very upbeat but if you are planning on doing a slow romantic dance then it would work.

Me and OH are useless dancers so need people to get on the dancefloor with us quick so we picked the wannadies you and me song. It also has special significance for us os twas perfect.

We're useless dancers too... tried to dance around our sitting room to our first dance song and I ended up standing on his toes a few times! We're using Kentish Town Waltz by Imelda May - it has special meaning for us because we happened to first live together in that corner of NW5 :)

right, opinions please guys....

'Falling slowly' as 1st dance song???

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yzQ9VrnNQLQ

Lovely tune but the song is about.......

"It's about a fling...you don't really know the person and it was good for a while, but you realize you're going in different directions. No hard feelings or anything, just a continuation of life."

http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/3530822107858667337/

• Advertisement

Lovely tune but the song is about.......

"It's about a fling...you don't really know the person and it was good for a while, but you realize you're going in different directions. No hard feelings or anything, just a continuation of life."

http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/3530822107858667337/

Haha ...it's perfect so :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

I gave up trying to lose weight. Even if I try quite hard it stays quite stable. 63 kg. Thats it. May as well be happy with it. I am doing pilates twice a week to try and sort out my shoulder, so that might help firm me up a bit.

Had the debate about first dance song too, to go for the nice sentimental one or a more upbeat one..Going for the more upbeat just to get people enjoying themselves and bouncing around... Cant wait to hear the band sing it fingers crossed they do it justice....

Must say feeling a bit blahh lately about things.. I know I can be my own worst enemy trying to get things done, but I would prefer to get things done now rather than rushing around last minute to get things done. Himself then is like yeah well do this then and then but then and then is ages away...I get being a happy medium but since most of it falls on me anywho I don't think im being majorly unfair..

thanks for the arm clip Fits, have been doing a few of these but not all shall get me arse in gear, hate bingo wings they are so annoying

Hairdresser seems to think that doing our hair at 8:30am for a 3pm ceremony is appropriate. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

(I have short hair. The trial took ~20 minutes.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

Hairdresser seems to think that doing our hair at 8:30am for a 3pm ceremony is appropriate. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

That's a bit crazy alright! There were 5 of us getting hair and make up done, the girls came at 10.30 and we were all ready at 1.30!

We are booked for 8:30 but im getting married at 1:30 and have long hair so i'll probably need the time.

8:30 for 3pm it madness

8:30am for 3pm, when three out of the five who need their hair done have short hair and the other two (my bridesmaids) have long thick straight blonde hair that needs to go into a loose updo. There is literally no reason to get started before 12 (imho) - also the salon is in the hotel where the ceremony is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Maybe they have another booking after you!

ahayes84 wrote: »
    My only concern is that it'snot very upbeat but if you are planning on doing a slow romantic dance then it would work.

For me the first dance choice is all about maximum bingo wing concealment.
    No upbeat numbers as they might involve twirls etc, anything where my arms have to be raised above waist level is not allowed. Slow romantic numbers all the way! This is the optimum first dance flattering arm position (random wedding photo attached) so I want to keep my arms like this for the whole dance. My bingo wings will literally be pinned to my sides :P Actually better warn OH on pain of death there's to be no funky moves...

This and this are definitely Out!! (random wedding photos from the web with girls who have skinny arms and can pull these positions off...but I defo can't)

• Advertisement

that last photo is not nice. way too thin for my liking

I'd say Dovies hit the nail on the head there...she's trying to squeeze another wedding in before yours. 8:30am to do 5 people's hair for a 3pm wedding is crazy.

Love your first dance song by the way! Brilliant choice...I want something irish, apart from that I don't really mind.

First girl looks like a lifter or swimmer. Quite an impressive gun show :D

Had a good chat with her there and she moved the two updos to a 10:30 start and I'm in at 11. That's a bit better.

ahayes84 wrote: »
    that last photo is not nice. way too thin for my liking

Oh I know I'm not saying it's nice I was purely using the photo to give examples of first dance arm positions that are to be avoided at all costs :P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭An Bhanríon

For me the first dance choice is all about maximum bingo wing concealment.
    No upbeat numbers as they might involve twirls etc, anything where my arms have to be raised above waist level is not allowed. Slow romantic numbers all the way! This is the optimum first dance flattering arm position (random wedding photo attached) so I want to keep my arms like this for the whole dance. My bingo wings will literally be pinned to my sides :P Actually better warn OH on pain of death there's to be no funky moves...

This made me laugh so much. My issue wasn't my arms. It was my dress. The way the cap sleaves (I think that's what they're called) were made meant that if I lifted my arms above shoulder height I would rip the dress. So our dance, which involved plenty of twirling, had to take this into account. We got through the dance with no tearing of material. But then, of course, later on I got too enthusiastic on the dancefloor and I heard the tear of the material!! The sign of a good party, I suppose...

haha seeing the pictures you've it all counted for... Just thinking id be laughing at ours as id say well just bust a move like no one is watching...

Gosh sticky, you've thought of everything!
    I've only just started running a few weeks ago. Before that I was walking a bit but not consistently.
    Thinking about doing my first 5k this weekend. Never thought I'd hear those words come out of my mouth!
    Will look at the Links you posted...Thanks so much.

I was also thinking of printing off two pics of two different brides. One how I want to look on the day and the other how I don't want to look. I only want to loose about another stone So very doable and loads of time before I I have to have any fittings.

Gosh sticky, you've thought of everything!
    I've only just started running a few weeks ago. Before that I was walking a bit but not consistently.
    Thinking about doing my first 5k this weekend. Never thought I'd hear those words come out of my mouth!
    Will look at the Links you posted...Thanks so much.

I was also thinking of printing off two pics of two different brides. One how I want to look on the day and the other how I don't want to look. I only want to loose about another stone So very doable and loads of time before I I have to have any fittings.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I have a picture of the model wearing my wedding dress pinned by my computer at work. In theory, it should stop me snacking and help me lose weight, but I can't say it's been overly helpful!

Since the post-Christmas high, I've lost 9lbs this year. 5 came off quickly, and the last 4 were NOT shifting. I'd ideally like to lose another stone. It's 14 weeks to my wedding, and a loss of 1lb per week should be doable in theory, but I really doubt my body will cooperate :(. The good weather should take hold here soon, so I'm hoping I can bike to work more consistently then. It also only costs $50 for a month-long pass to the local community gym and outdoor swimming pool, so I hope having access to those facilities will help. It's the food that gets me though :(. Ironically, if I was single, I could lose weight because I don't mind eating cereal for dinner etc, but with himself, I cook big meals every evening, and I cave in every time he suggests snack foods or beer :(.

Of course, there is the terrifying incentive that I bought my dress in a size too small, so unless I want to be mortified by getting it let out, I need to lose at least another 7-10 lbs :eek:

• Advertisement

Three weeks to mine from Saturday, trying to maintain or lose slightly. Rugby weekend this weekend, possibly a 10km race the weekend after and an open water swim race on the weekend after that... I lost around 8kg over the last year or so, but it generally takes going into marathon training for me to go below the 65-67kg range and I'm not really feeling the love for the 20 mile runs at the moment so I'll take what I have! The one thing I do regret is not lifting more weights and trying to do a bit more of a recomposition, I still feel a bit fluffier than I'd like to have been at this stage.

Advertisement