Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 brides!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Milly33 wrote: »
    Got that with the makeup again mum said yeah I didn't really like it, and I was like sure why didn't you tell me that then..

OH is a bit like that with the make up. He said it again at the weekend. He much preferred my own (badly done) make up when we were going out Friday night then he did the make up artists. He said I didn't look like myself. But I'm suiting myself with this one!

Your head would be melted with all the opinions!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Extraplus

It'd too late for you now Milly to order them, but for anyone struggling to find shoes with a bit longer to go I'd definitle recommend shoesofprey.com

You design them yourself, so you can pick the heel height you want. I found them brilliant, and nowhere near €800!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Yeah that's what himself says to me too, well the first one he said it was nice to look different and then he was saying that I don't a very nice job myself.. I was giving up now and calling it till mum said try one more...

http://www.paperchase.co.uk/gifts/home-and-kitchen-gifts/wedding-decorations/wedding-favour-matchboxes-10.html

I can't remember who it was, but I know someone was looking for wedding favour matchboxes a while ago. Just found some on paperchase, my new favourite website!

Don't know what I'm going to do with myself after the wedding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

kildareash wrote: »
    Don't know what I'm going to do with myself after the wedding!

You'll hang around here like us trying to help others out because you're having organisation withdrawal symptoms :P

You'll hang around here like us trying to help others out because you're having organisation withdrawal symptoms :P

Haha, I'll have to start crashing the 2016 thread then. I need more reasons to look on pretty websites :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

Haha, I'll have to start crashing the 2016 thread then. I need more reasons to look on pretty websites :)

There's even a 2017 thread now so there should be plenty of people for us to advise :P

Oh that was me.. Thank you!!

haha I know ill be the same.. Actually I am half thinking of teaming up with mum more for bits like this. I enjoy all this organising tis just work getting in the way with it.. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I have my dress fitting in the morning. Even though I've slimmed down quite a bit, I'm afraid it won't fit. I tried it on but sure I can't do it up myself so I have no idea. It did feel like it might be troublesome to close. I'm quite bloated right now with PMS, so I don't know how much of an effect that has. I'm tempted to ask a bridesmaid to come over and help me try it on, but then I may as well just wait until tomorrow.

Also, asked someone to do up baskets for the bathrooms for me, as a way of including them. Jesus, they totally fûcked them up. 90% of the stuff they put in is unusable. Going to have to totally redo them myself. Even the baskets themselves aren't great, they're much smaller than I'd like. Money definitely wasn't the issue, so I'm not sure what was going through their mind.

Stress levels are definitely rising!

Faith wrote: »
    I have my dress fitting in the morning. Even though I've slimmed down quite a bit, I'm afraid it won't fit. I tried it on but sure I can't do it up myself so I have no idea. It did feel like it might be troublesome to close. I'm quite bloated right now with PMS, so I don't know how much of an effect that has. I'm tempted to ask a bridesmaid to come over and help me try it on, but then I may as well just wait until tomorrow.

Also, asked someone to do up baskets for the bathrooms for me, as a way of including them. Jesus, they totally fûcked them up. 90% of the stuff they put in is unusable. Going to have to totally redo them myself. Even the baskets themselves aren't great, they're much smaller than I'd like. Money definitely wasn't the issue, so I'm not sure what was going through their mind.

Stress levels are definitely rising!

With my fittings I was gung ho on the weight loss and when I went for a fitting maybe....6 weeks before she needed to take it in all round - I was delighted. Well i think I relaxed the diet then coz when I went in for the fitting 2 weeks before the wedding it was tight and I had a bit of back cleavage in it :eek::eek: (my dress dips low into a V at the back) so I couldn't eat a whole lot for those last 2 weeks coz it was too late to do anything about the dress like let it out again. Twas grand anyway I got there and twas totally comfy and no back cleavage on the day, or else if there was the photographers have photoshopped it out :P

Re the baskets it's reading stories like that makes me feel vindicated that I pretty much did everything myself.....my sister was giving out that I took on way too much and did way too much myself (like up til circa 3am the 2 nights before making welcome bags, kiddy fun bags for the kiddy's table, doing the basket for the loo, making the DIY craft place names (for 160 places!) but it's so true if you want something done right.......

It was funny with my basket we had to go to the venue lock stock and barrell the day before coz we were staying there the night before and of course I forgot to bring loads of stuff, including toiletries so thank god for that basket I have to say as I was totally raiding the deodarant, wipes & using the hairbrush! :D
    But yeah You really have to spell everything out to everyone it's so frustrating!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Just got a call this morning to say dress was on the way and they booked me in for my first fitting. She said she can't stress enough how important it is to have my actual bridal shoes with me, talk about more pressure over bloody wedding shoes!

Oh ladies I hope they are fab!! I suppose the shoes does mean an awfull lot when you think of if you need to trim it or not.. But I suppose you don't realise until it comes around...

Crap faith what was wrong with the baskets? at least though you could pick the bits and pieces up quite easily.. This is one half of the reason I kinda don't want anyone doing anything as I know im a stickler for detail so if tisnt done right I will do it again...

This is one half of the reason I kinda don't want anyone doing anything as I know im a stickler for detail so if tisnt done right I will do it again...

Absolutely - the only person that can do 90% of the work is you yourself, and your OH if he's obedient (i.e. doesn't question, just does!)

Haha! I know id be like mmm that aint right... Disaster again with one of the dresses it doesn't fit, so trecking up to Tralee at the weekend to swop for another size and then onto Holland again..

Might do some shopping in Tralee they have a few nice little spots there do they...

How did the dress fittings go ladies.

Dress fitted like a glove! Phew! I feel like there's a 10-stone weight off my shoulders :D. Second fitting on Saturday and final one probably on Tuesday. It looked so good! I can't WAIT to see it all on the day :D
    Re the baskets it's reading stories like that makes me feel vindicated that I pretty much did everything myself.....my sister was giving out that I took on way too much and did way too much myself (like up til circa 3am the 2 nights before making welcome bags, kiddy fun bags for the kiddy's table, doing the basket for the loo, making the DIY craft place names (for 160 places!) but it's so true if you want something done right.......

Crap faith what was wrong with the baskets? at least though you could pick the bits and pieces up quite easily.. This is one half of the reason I kinda don't want anyone doing anything as I know im a stickler for detail so if tisnt done right I will do it again...

I have a few people who'll do everything perfectly, but I didn't want to overburden them! The baskets just looked like the person had taken the opportunity to empty their bathroom cabinets of old ancient stuff they'd found. Tiny combs with hotel branding on them instead of proper combs, half-used sewing kits, and several items that I had specifically said I didn't want included - that kind of thing. I managed to pick up most things myself today anyway!

Yeahhh delighted for you Faith, are you still smiling from it!! really happy it went great now..

Oh no with the basket, yes that now I wouldn't quite fancy either... I set up one basket at a wedding but the lady had given a bag of stuff to put in.. The comb was actually used already..There were cotton buds put in that were a bit tasselled and random bits. I was like mmm that doesn't look pretty

Thanks Milly :). I totally recommend my alterations woman, if anyone in Cork wants recommendations. She also makes her own gowns, and they looked amazing!

My original basket also had some loose cotton buds, but I looked for small boxes of cotton buds and I couldn't find any. I might just try to get a little jar to put some in to keep them protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭CorkClaire82

Thanks Milly :). I totally recommend my alterations woman, if anyone in Cork wants recommendations. She also makes her own gowns, and they looked amazing!

My original basket also had some loose cotton buds, but I looked for small boxes of cotton buds and I couldn't find any. I might just try to get a little jar to put some in to keep them protected.

Is it a girl in Ballincollig by any chance? The girl i had was brilliant too, again if anyone needs recommendations let me know.

Is it a girl in Ballincollig by any chance? The girl i had was brilliant too, again if anyone needs recommendations let me know.

Yes! Were your alterations expensive? I have no idea how much to budget! It's just hemming and a bustle.

• Advertisement

I have heard many things about this lady.. Himself mum mentioned her too.. Great to see word spreads...

If you are looking for anything like that faith I have loads of little glass pots. Id say the smallest thing of cotton buds is the mini Johnson ones youd get them in boots but a little jar is fine...

Mad for the weekend now to get the decorations done.. Dreading starting the bunting but fingers crossed till work

Oh the little pound shop in douglas is great too if you happen to be in there

Yes! Were your alterations expensive? I have no idea how much to budget! It's just hemming and a bustle.

I only got mine taken in (after bursting a seam at Christmas when I tried it on :O), and they steamed it and it was either 50 or 70. Less than a 100 quid anyway. Is it the girl on Station Road? I found the 2 girls I dealt with very good to deal with, would recommend them to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My alterations were a lot cheaper than that (£24), but I had a somewhat non-traditional dress so they were a bit simpler!

I think the alterations where I bought my dress are €200 or €250. I know there was a sign up in the shop. The dress didn't need any alterations when I tried it on, but hopefully it will now!ha!

Someone was looking for umberella's recently...found some really cool ones on a website called favourlane.ie. I hadn't heard of it before but it came up on my facebook yesterday and it has lots of pretty things.
    Does anyone else follow broke bride on FB? Can be a handy one to pick up little decorations and bits and pieces when they are on special. Yesterday they had a post about metallic lanterns in tiger for €3. They were kinda moroccan(ish) style and seemed to be in silver and gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Ooh I'll take recommendations for Cork alterations please!

• Advertisement

I don't know what alterations my dress needs as my first fitting is the 14th of august but they had on my quote that it will be 100-150.

amor3 wrote: »
    I don't know what alterations my dress needs as my first fitting is the 14th of august but they had on my quote that it will be 100-150.

Where are you based amor? My place is in the middle of nowhere (literally), so don't know why they are so expensive. I'd still be reluctant to get the alterations done anywhere else as they are used to dealing with these dresses. And i really got the sense that they knew what they were talking about, more so than any of the other shops I went to.

I have to get one of the BM's dresses taken in and I'm terrified something is going to happen to it and I'll have to get 2 new dresses at short notice.

100 days from today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Ooh, I'd love the recommendation for the alterations lady too if someone wouldn't mind pming me :-)

Where are you based amor? My place is in the middle of nowhere (literally), so don't know why they are so expensive. I'd still be reluctant to get the alterations done anywhere else as they are used to dealing with these dresses. And i really got the sense that they knew what they were talking about, more so than any of the other shops I went to.

I have to get one of the BM's dresses taken in and I'm terrified something is going to happen to it and I'll have to get 2 new dresses at short notice.

100 days from today!

I'm in dublin kildareash, I'm having my alterations in the shop i bought my dress and I'm having my bridesmaid dresses done by a lady who altered my sister's wedding dress. 100 days, wow!! Gonna fly ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Quick one - At what stage of the evening should you settle up with the band?

• Advertisement

Good Question sonner, I was half thinking of doing it the next day with ours but that's cus they are staying over. I would have thought after they finish up.

Ye wont believe it but I got another dress from Oasis today, I was like mmmm why do ye keep sending me dresses. I was going to say nothing to them but I had to. And even they are baffled as to why I got it.. If anyone is looking for one I might have a spare cheap if they tell me to keep it.. disasters they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

A friend of mine when getting married was told by the band that they normally looked to be paid during the first break in the music, think they had a few bad experiences in trying to collect afterwards, that way the B & G would know that they were able to deliver music wise and the band were sure of getting their money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

We're married!
    On honeymoon but here are a couple of FB photos.

nosietoes wrote: »
    We're married!
    On honeymoon but here are a couple of FB photos.

Beautiful, congratulations!!! Enjoy the honeymoon.

Alterations by Kate. I highly recommend her for Cork brides :).

We have been asked to pay during the break.

nosietoes wrote:
    We're married! On honeymoon but here are a couple of FB photos.

Congrats. You looked gorgeous. I'm loving all the shorter dresses :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 summer_chic

I paid my band the week before, the dj the day before - I found it much easier to not have to worry about, but we live in a small town and they were all local suppliers !

I got a lot of my basket bits in boots, they had small packs of own brand cotton buds in a plastic case , and their 3 for 2 small travel items proved very handy . Pennys were great too for the bits. (I do wonder though, as there was nothing left apart from a few feminine hygiene products when they gave it back, and my fear is that a lot of it got handbagged early , hopefully not and the hotel staff took off with what was left. I had been told they were overstocked ! So I was surprised - very relieved though !)

I suppose it is good to see the used summer chic. I must admit I would be one of those baggers not in a mean way that I would leave nothing for everyone but like late at night if there were like tic tacs there id be all up for it...

Congraulations nosietoes Yeah enjoy the honeymoon!!!

Thanks for the share faith handy to know

just looking at the pics nosietoes wow ye look loverly!! love the dress

Alterations by Kate. I highly recommend her for Cork brides :).

We have been asked to pay during the break.

That's the one, I didn't know if we were able to make recommendations. She's brill, i know loads who've used her and I thought she was great too.

• Advertisement

Haha! I know id be like mmm that aint right... Disaster again with one of the dresses it doesn't fit, so trecking up to Tralee at the weekend to swop for another size and then onto Holland again..

Might do some shopping in Tralee they have a few nice little spots there do they...

How did the dress fittings go ladies.

Janey that dress is going to be well travelled! And post of a parcel from Holland to Ireland is shockingly expensive

In general, when would you need to book in for alterations? 2/3 months ahead would be loads of time surely?

pampootie wrote: »
    In general, when would you need to book in for alterations? 2/3 months ahead would be loads of time surely?

I'm booked in a month before for 1st fitting, bridesmaids are booked in 2 and a half weeks before.

Congrats nosietoes love the dress and great swirl there for the 1st dance!

I paid a premium for my photographers to stay til the 1st dance and was soooo not worth it. Not one decent photo of it (mainly due to stress -we were not comfortable doing it (is anyone??) & it shows on our faces and perspiration (hair style gone flat etc). I'd still do a first dance as it's tradition but pay someone extra to professionallly photograph it? Waste of money in hindsight

Interesting cotton buds I didn't put them in my basket, wouldn't have thought they were an essential....for taking off dobs of badly applied mascara, cleaning your ears or what? I didn't over analyse the content of the baskets, I mainly put the stuff I'd appreciate myself like dry shampoo, baby wipes, male + female deoderant , hairbrush, tissues, tampons, STs can't rem what else. I'm just thinking now shoulda put chewing gum, didn't think of it

amor3 wrote: »
    I'm booked in a month before for 1st fitting, bridesmaids are booked in 2 and a half weeks before.

Thanks amor, I'm wondering more when you need to make the booking? I've been amazed how far ahead some wedding related things book up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

We are flying home tonight. Back to reality. :( malaysia was absolutely awesome.

pampootie wrote:
    Thanks amor, I'm wondering more when you need to make the booking? I've been amazed how far ahead some wedding related things book up!

Ring the shop or alterations person and ask. Everywhere will have a different answer. I rang the shop last week as i wasnt sure when to go for fittings and they said they will be in touch with me about 4 weeks beforehand. But if I can't make it around that time to call them nearer the time and they will take me earlier.

Welcome home fits. Hope you had an amazing honeymoon.

pampootie wrote: »

The shop rang me Wednesday to tell me my dress was due in and they done the booking there and then for me. My bridesmaid dresses are being altered by a different lady though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

Looooooove your dress nosietoes, enjoy your honeymoon!

Aw fits I'm well jealous, I bet Malaysia was beautiful!

• Advertisement

Haha I was like you put stds in the bathroom baskets!! Oh dear I need lunch....

Yeah cotton buds just to wipe off any whoops or if you were putting some Vaseline on a cut or something they are handy to poke it out...

The post isn't the worst to Holland now I must say and they are great there, about the same as Irish Post.. One thing I don't mind paying for though as the Irish system is great...

Oh Fits well at least tis the long weekend and ye can enjoy some celebrating at home....

We just got our first wedding card, so excited.....

Advertisement