Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 brides!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

na im done now, if what I have doesn't work im wrapping cellotape around myself... :)

Think we got bridesmaids shoes today thank god, who would have thought finding a white small heeled sandel would be so hard...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Faith are you going on honeymoon at all?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

fits wrote: »
    Faith are you going on honeymoon at all?

Yeah, but because of living in Canada and having shiitty holiday allowances, we have to postpone it to next year. We're planning on heading to Cancun in February or March :). But back to work on Monday for now :(

Something to look forward to anyway. I wanna go on honeymoon again!

We are filling the wedding planning void with house plans... Exciting!

Definitely, and at a grim time of year!

I'll be filling the void with applying for PhDs... A very different type of organization!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sm213

Hi 2015 brides.
    Congrats to you all and hope you had/will have amazing days.
    Just a question for those who got married or may know from experience.
    Does anyone actually eat the cake?
    I've got 40/50 guests and got quoted an extortionate price for two tiers of plain old victoria sponge.
    Would I ne better off getting different desserts and a small cake for cutting for the photos?

Yep it is eaten. We got rid of a 12"tier of fruit cake. And a full chocolate biscuit cake. 85 guests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

We didn't bother with a cake, spent the money elsewhere. Don't think anyone noticed or cared!

Faith wrote: »
    I'll be filling the void with applying for PhDs... A very different type of organization!
    Been there done that!

Sorry for asking again can I have the link to the funky converse store that one that does custom ones. I had it and must have lost it somewhere

• Advertisement

Are you looking at going back to college then faith... I was debating about this groupon courses you see around for after has anyone gone on these?

Have another dress fitting this evening hoping beyond hope that it goes well and im happier with it... Didn't get a wink of sleep last night so not in the greatest form but trying to pick myself up..

Does anyone have any ice cream suppliers or ice cream cart places around Cork.. I had one booked but due to timing we are kinda of too late for them... so looking into other options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

Milly33 wrote: »
    Are you looking at going back to college then faith... I was debating about this groupon courses you see around for after has anyone gone on these?

Have another dress fitting this evening hoping beyond hope that it goes well and im happier with it... Didn't get a wink of sleep last night so not in the greatest form but trying to pick myself up..

Does anyone have any ice cream suppliers or ice cream cart places around Cork.. I had one booked but due to timing we are kinda of too late for them... so looking into other options

Try Rockfield ice cream they have a few

Great stuff thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

How did your dress fitting go milly?

Well!! I will say my shoes are gorgous I love them.. The dress fitting was a lot better than the first one I will say.. I did like the dress a lot more and it is fitting so much better... I think I am worrying about my hands and then I wouldn't be the most confidant person regarding myself so maybe this is all that is wrong..

I am going to get one more fitting Monday and then collect after lunch on Monday and sure feck it, if I have to go out and buy a cardi to make me more comfortable on the day im going to do it...

That's mostly positive then...we all have some area that we're not 100% body confident about, and there are loads of nice little shrugs and stuff you can get to cover up if it makes you feel more comfortable.

How long to go now?

I know, jes I am so positive normally it is just with me im like yeah it looks like a blob in a bag...Ill have to do the old trick of having a few glass of wine and looking in the mirror and thinking wow hot stuff... haha

Yes I am going to have a look around on Monday I am getting a balero with it, made to fit I just like it to cover my full arm and then that looks silly...

Its one week, or next Friday ahhh cant believe it.. I will say if I was doing it all from scratch again I would do it quicker and smaller

I hide it well but i wouldnt have a great body image either and can often react badly internally to seeing photos of myself. I know its ridiculous so i keep it to myself. Anyway i watched the wedding videos my brother took for first time last night. I was a bit nervous to watch in case id see something i didnt like but it was fine. The video was lovely. Something to look back on in years to come :D my husbands speech was lovely and i didnt really register it fully at the time. And, i looked alright in it!

Yep that's me too fits.. Any pictures or thinks like that I hate as all I see is something not nice.... Then I could bounce around like no one cares or I am mostly happy just with me im like yeah...

Glad the video turned out well, did you brother do it himself then. It is something we wanted just need the recorder we thought we had one but not... Was the speech loverly

• Advertisement

Its one week, or next Friday ahhh cant believe it.. I will say if I was doing it all from scratch again I would do it quicker and smaller

Ifelt a bit overwhelmed in final fortnight even with a simple wedding and thought it must be a mad time for a more diy wedding. I think the stress you are feeling is totally normal. But it was absolutely fine and lovely on the day. Make the decision now to enjoy it.

Yep that's me too fits.. Any pictures or thinks like that I hate as all I see is something not nice.... Then I could bounce around like no one cares or I am mostly happy just with me im like yeah...

Glad the video turned out well, did you brother do it himself then. It is something we wanted just need the recorder we thought we had one but not... Was the speech loverly

Yeah he just brought his camcorder and set it up on a tripod. It came out rather well! We were in one venue all day and it rained so in retrospect i think getting a professional to do it would have been a waste. I would say it would be lovely if you had home, church. venue though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I think everyone feels like that in the last few days. It will all work out fine on the day though! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

I started enjoying my wedding about half way through the day. My sis was helping me smooth out the layers of my dress and sorting out my tights disaster (do not wear pull ups.....they just fall down) just before we made our entrance for the meal and a friend of mine was breastfeeding in the same room and she saw how stressed I was and she gave me a good talking-to she said 'you are to make a decision right now that you're enjoying this day, any issues, anythign that arises you don't want to know and it's someone else's problems, that's it, you decide right now that you're enjoying this day from this moment on!' it really worked.....I really did enjoy the rest of the day. Walking down the aisle and the 1st dance are the only awful 'keep smiling and get through this' parts, the rest is brilliant

Milly great that you got shapewear & shoes sorted for the final dress fitting. Well you know my fears about arms although as I recall I didn't get a whole pile of empathy from you when I expressed my anxiety about same haha

I am seeing into the future sticky!! I have a friend who has just had a baby and I only said to her yesterday look if ye need to settle anywhere take our room whenever you need.. I was going to try the hold ups too but the last pair as I say I got too long and with short legs tis hard to get a leg over your buttocks!! Ah no I was just saying with the poistioning of the arms it seem different but sorry if it came across that way.... As if boobs weren't enough to worry about we have arms, legs too long, legs to short, feet..

Note on the feet too if anyone is looking to scrub up the feet those foot peel things you get in Pennys or there is another you get in the chemist that is the same brand as the hand mask in pennys. They are great a cheap pedicure.. Just remember to do two weeks before hand and buy extra socks to through out as it isn't pretty

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I was having a look at this thread and the most common thing I see is mainly brides getting stressed in the lead up to the big day.

As a wedding DJ who has played at about 40 weddings so far this year I will say this. It has all come together so well on the day. In all the years that I am a DJ, it is just like a jigsaw and all the pieces fall into place. It depends what part of the day I am there from, but a lot of the weddings I have played at this year have been doing are the full day and evening, providing music for the ceremony through to the last dance.

Every bride that I speak to was nervous beforehand says, it simply disappears the day of. Your very best friends are there, family who you have known all your life are there, and the most exciting part is that your best friend is waiting at the top of altar probably more nervous than you scared that he will fluff his lines, and then spend the rest of the day playing with the new ring on his finger.

Weddings come in all shapes and sizes, and I have eaten more cocktail sausages, sandwiches and wedding cake than my waist line would like but its always a magical affair. Brides sparkle in their dresses and after 27 years of doing this DJ thing I still absolutely love it!

The biggest complaint that brides will tell me is that the day went waaaaaaay to quickly, and that feet are sore from dancing. I am not going to say there is no need to be nervous but soak up the day in every possible way, its your wedding day!!!!!

• Advertisement

What are y'all doing with your dresses? I think i will try to sell mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Haven't done anything with mine yet - it's of no real use to anyone else though because it was a relatively inexpensive dress which was altered to suit a larger bust/smaller waist.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭CorkClaire82

I'm thinking of dressing as a corpse bride for Halloween and using it for that and then I'll probably give it to charity. It wasn't a massively expensive dress due to being a sample so I don't expect anything back. Course this all depends on me actually fitting into it again :S

I loved every minute of my day :). I was remarkably calm for the whole thing - didn't even cry going up the aisle! So I think all of that helped. I didn't sweat any of the small details, and I didn't have time/geographical ability to put lots of effort into them anyway, so I think that helped.

I'm going to hang on to my dress. It's just so beautiful that I couldn't bear to sell it or do anything with it.

I loved mine as well. But I don't really know what Id do with it if I hung onto it. I'd be hopeful someone else might wear it in time but what if it doesn't age well? The style is fairly timeless I think. I have put an ad up with no pictures in the hope that only someone who has tried on the sample and knows what they want would contact me. So we will see. I did consider dyeing it and maybe I will still if I cant sell. It would work as an evening gown too.

• Advertisement

The biggest complaint that brides will tell me is that the day went waaaaaaay to quickly, and that feet are sore from dancing. I am not going to say there is no need to be nervous but soak up the day in every possible way, its your wedding day!!!!!

I want to be this bride! There has to be a certain element of stress and nerves with anything you organise, let alone your wedding day!

I get odd flashbacks of lovely things from the day. Which I will probably forget in time, I should write them down.

I really loved our ceremony but found the drinks reception a little overwhelming after a while, trying to say hello to everyone. So myself and himself went back to our room and enjoyed a glass of bubbly for a good half hour at least. I felt a bit guilty about not greeting the guests but I think we both really needed some time to ourselves. The day does fly past though. A lot of it is a blur indeed. Another thing I really enjoyed was our unplanned and unscheduled first dance :) That was great too.

I didn't like our drinks reception that much either. All the guests stayed inside, even though it was dry and the grounds were gorgeous, so the room was ROASTING. My dress was a ballgown, so it was really warm already. I was hot, sweaty and there was people everywhere. Our wedding coordinator pulled us away after about an hour and sent us to our room while they called for dinner, so we had a chance to sit down and catch our breath :).

Faith wrote: »
    All the guests stayed inside, even though it was dry and the grounds were gorgeous, so the room was ROASTING. .

That's a shame. I would have hoped our guests would have walked the grounds if we had had a half decent day. (we didnt, the rain was biblical). So its interesting to hear that.

It was dry, but cool. I asked why everyone was inside, and apparently it was to heat up after being outside the ceremony venue. I guess they just stayed in then. We tried to encourage people out, but then it started to drizzle!

It was a real shame, because the outside area was beautiful. But it was their choice!

Also, so much for a come down after the wedding! We had the most stressful journey back to Canada yesterday, and when I got home, I had a voicemail which I followed up this morning. I have an interview for a new job on Tuesday as a result, and, unrelated, I had a paper accepted to a fairly prestigious conference in October that I'll need to prep for. On top on applying for doctorates. So there's no time for anything but getting on with things here. We'll be very glad of our honeymoon in the new year!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Dress fitting this morning, didn't get a huge wow factor feeling! It was huge on me so the material that was over hanging couldn't really give me a good idea of the shape even though it was pinned in. . Just didn't feel it. So disappointed.

It will be different when it fits and you are done up.

Wait until the next fitting, amor. It's impossible to judge until it fits you properly. You obviously loved it when you bought it, but if you've definitely changed your mind, that's okay too!

That's a shame amor. Did you order off a sample? Howcome do you think that you (obviously) got wow feeling when you ordered the dress but not now?

Is substituting it an option?

Re what to do with our wedding dresses I really need to collect mine from the dry cleaners! Keep forgetting! They've had it for weeks and have received no text so either they wrote my no down wrong or they've burned a big hole in it and are hoping I never come back. I think I'll hang onto it for a while - 1 year at least and then probably give it to charity maybe the Barnardos shop in Dublin? Would love to think of it getting a second outing and it is a popular style and a common size (14) so I think it would sell. I'd love to know if and when it sells though so I suppose that would be the advantage of selling it yourself......hate to think of it languising in the back of a charity shop, never being sold and then being thrown out IYKWIM. I mean if it was gonna not sell I'd rather keep it. Suppose I could always call in there and see if had been sold!

We were really lucky with the weather on our day most people went outside for the drinks reception and made the most of the beautiful grounds of the venue. I was delighted with that as it is a private estate and we had it all to ourselves so it was great to see people taking advantage of it. I had put lots of old family photos inside the room where the drinks reception was and many didn't see them at all....I take that as a good sign :-)

Milly and anyone else - DON'T WEAR PULL UPS !!! It seemed like the perfect idea to me:
    - you get the benefit of tights i.e. to avoid the chafing between your foot and the shoes
    - you have one less thing to manouvre when going to the toilet
    - you have one less restrictive thing around your waist if you are wearing shapewear (I didn't wear shapewear but if you were)

However they just fall down! Unbeknownst to everyone else at the wedding, I went through the whole ceremony including walking up and down the aisle with a fallen down pull up that I coudln't adjust ! I had a full length gown so no-one saw but still! I didn't get around to sorting it till after the photos and the drinks reception when my sis was fixing me up in a side room for the dinner entrance. I had no contingency in place so good ol Mammy came to the rescue with a spare pare of tights

• Advertisement

:D oh i have to laugh. Were you able to think about anything else only the pull up?

Yep id hate for the dress to take a beating in the shop. So ive advertised it online, no photo. So hopefully it would only attract the interest of someone who has already tried a sample.

fits wrote: »
    :D oh i have to laugh. Were you able to think about anything else only the pull up?

I was vaguely aware of it but no, didn't bother me as no-one could see it and there was far too much else grabbing my attention. But it's just something I'm sure most brides would rather avoid all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭CorkClaire82

I know this sounds kinda smug but i loved they minute of the day, i didn't get stressed at all. I got annoyed with my brother the day before and irritated at a few other things but once that was all done pure relaxed! You'll love it.

I was fairly worried about 3 weeks out and then gone.

fits what did you do about your outdoor ceremony in the end then if it rained on the big day?

We had a very nice backup option of a conservatory. And actually it was probably nicer in the end, but it did mean people moved around the venue less. We wasted 300 euro on outdoor chair hire too. oh well. I was a little upset when I saw the weather forecast was awful 3 days before but I had resigned myself to it by the day. And it was totally fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Robyn_14

amor3 wrote: »
    Dress fitting this morning, didn't get a huge wow factor feeling! It was huge on me so the material that was over hanging couldn't really give me a good idea of the shape even though it was pinned in. . Just didn't feel it. So disappointed.
    This was exactly me 3 weeks ago. It looked way better on on my third fitting, try not to be disappointed, it will look much better once they alter it as the other girls said.:)

Wow sorry ladies I will have to catch up on the rest of the post but whoop Faith well done to you... Jes that is massive congrats to you wishing you the best of luck with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Thanks girls, maybe it was all just a bit overwhelming i don't know, nerves seem to be getting the better off me lately and i just can't seem to enjoy anything wedding related, don't know how normal or not that is, bit of a come down after the hens and period arrived so maybe just feeling sorry for myself, anyway had pizza and wine last night to cheer myself up, feck the diet!

Faith well done!!!

Fits, I'm thinking of donating my dress to a charity called angel gowns, I'd keep it up for my daughter but who knows what trends will be like, or probably like most of the girls i know, it will be bundled up in a bag the night of the wedding never to be seen again ☺

There are definitely periods where it all gets totally overwhelming and you just want to forget about it all. It happened me about 2 months after we were engaged, about 3 months before the wedding, and in the 5 days or so leading up to my wedding day. It's totally normal! It's a huge event that monopolises so much of your mental time. Take a day or two to yourself with no wedding planning allowed. Go out for dinner with your fiancé and ban all talk of weddings. Just allow yourself some time away from it all :)

• Advertisement

amor we have the week to go now and I'm finally begin to chill a little last week I was like omg the dress is not working, the makeup isn't working, all was at an end. This weekend now were finally beginning to chill out now and getting to enjoy things for the lead up...

went for threading and a lovely massage today loved it a nice treat

Advertisement