Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 brides!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

The shop I went to asked my budget and didn't show me a dress that I couldn't afford.
    Two different friends have told me stories of loving two dresses and their no 1 choice was over €3k, which they had no intention of spending.

I think I'm going to try one more shop and make up my mind then.

bought the cards for our invitations during the week so excited to start working on the design now. And meeting with our hotel later too, as we haven't officially sat down with them and gone through the finer details. Think himself wants to go look at suits too but we've no babysitter for the kiddies today so don't know how far were going to get with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Extraplus

For the people struggling to find a dress, would you get one made? I couldn't find anything that felt like me but had an idea that I thought would work so I'm getting it made. It has been a lovely process so far.

I'm posting my invitations today, no going back now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

Extraplus wrote: »
    For the people struggling to find a dress, would you get one made? I couldn't find anything that felt like me but had an idea that I thought would work so I'm getting it made. It has been a lovely process so far.

I'm leaning this way. Sarah foy is excellent but I've fallen in love with Alison Jayne couture in belfasts stuff. Sarah is Dublin based

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I have loads of ideas from different dresses that I'd love on the one dress :) does it work out very expensive to get a dress made?
    I haven't started trying on dresses so I won't be making any decisions until I do, obviously I've no idea what will suit me yet!!

It's just over the 2k average but you can get cheaper if style is simple. From my own research so not 100% accurate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Kinda thinking the dress making too it will depend... Mum was onto Ernest Perryman in Cork who is loverly I must say he made my debs dress and he isn't as pricey as you would think

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

I'm going to start trying on dresses in March (getting married in December and hoping for 'off the rack' or second hand) otherwise I'll go that route and get it made. They need 6 months minimum.

Is your dressmaker based in Dublin or nearby? If so, could you PM me as I wouldnt mind getting another quote! I've contacted 4 already and quotes range from 1400-2800 :o so it varies!

Yay on invites!

Ladies,
    Am I missing something...this wedding planning lark seems far too easy!
    Have church, reception and band booked. Just confirmed photographer, music for church, hair and make up. We have bridesmaid dresses and his suit picked. A friend is doing the flowers so they're sorted. Not having a videographer and we will just have to see nearer the time if there is money left in the budget for a car. Starting to work on the invites as they are DIY job. We've even deposits paid on our rings.
    So all I've left to do is my dress and kid's clothes, but leaving that one till nearer the time.

Have I everything covered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Nope wedding planning is as difficult or as simple as you want to make it.

you seem to have all the main things sorted so now its the details. Do you have to do your Pre-marriage course? Mass booklet, accessories, Cake? Are you planning on having any extras?

My sister got engaged and married in 6 months and honestly if you put your mind to it and don't stress about the details then thats all it takes.

• Advertisement

Well done to you.. As hayes said it is what you make it.. I know it was a tough call on venues for us, and the invites are just like ahhh but it isn't a pain or anything... the dress that's about the only pain but then im not a shopper so it isn't a surprise..

It all depends what you want to do on the day. The little things seem to take up more time

I know it's as stressful as you let it be, but our biggest headache to date has been chosing the bridal party. that took us months!
    I have to decide what I want for the cake, but think I know where I'm getting it.
    wedding is not until November so we've a few little projects were going to work On over the next few months.

I just feel like I'm going to turn up on the day and realise I've forgotten something major.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭CorkClaire82

I sometimes think like that too about not doing something but I'm going with the attitude that I've the big things we have to have done now done so it'll be grand. If you've the venue, the ceremony venue, band and photographer booked i think you're laughing.

Getting a couple of texts saying the invites are arriving which is really exciting. Hopefully they'll RSVP on time too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dillydressmaker

Ladies, I hope you don't mind me butting in but with a slightish boom back on in the economy it appears some dressmakers etc are readying themselves to cash in.
    Your quotes for dresses being made are quite outlandish. I have taught fashion design for 7 years and regularly work on high profile dresses in one of my roles in BT's, Vera Wang included. I have performed some crazy alterations over the years from putting different bodices onto different skirts and altering the infamous sex & city dress.
    To make a dress from scratch my rule of thumb is simple, it costs what you want it to cost therefore I never charge anymore than 1200 plus fabric. Putting you in control of the cost of fabric means it can be silk or satin and the cost is then transparent.
    Think carefully before you commit to a dressmaker but I teach in the college where Sarah Foy used to teach and I will easily admit she is fantastic.
    Alterations are always never to be underestimated either. They can be extensive and sometimes cost more than you might think but it is possible to remake dresses and adapt them to your own specifications.
    Best of luck to you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Invitations ordered. BOOM!

Definitely the hardest thing so far.

Ladies, I hope you don't mind me butting in but with a slightish boom back on in the economy it appears some dressmakers etc are readying themselves to cash in.
    Your quotes for dresses being made are quite outlandish. I have taught fashion design for 7 years and regularly work on high profile dresses in one of my roles in BT's, Vera Wang included. I have performed some crazy alterations over the years from putting different bodices onto different skirts and altering the infamous sex & city dress.
    To make a dress from scratch my rule of thumb is simple, it costs what you want it to cost therefore I never charge anymore than 1200 plus fabric. Putting you in control of the cost of fabric means it can be silk or satin and the cost is then transparent.
    Think carefully before you commit to a dressmaker but I teach in the college where Sarah Foy used to teach and I will easily admit she is fantastic.
    Alterations are always never to be underestimated either. They can be extensive and sometimes cost more than you might think but it is possible to remake dresses and adapt them to your own specifications.
    Best of luck to you all.

I was quoted about that plus fabric. Made more sense for me in the end to purchase from a shop. Cost a little bit more but at least i know how the dress looks.

• Advertisement

Just booked my first wedding dress shopping appointment for Memories in Dublin. SO nervous. Trying to lose about 4 stone in total before the wedding in December (well I guess before the last fitting in November!) and I'm only 1/2 stone towards that goal!

What have been people's experience with dress shopping when trying to also lose weight?

Best of luck CBFi! I hope they are loverly there, they have got good reviews.. And well done for loosing the 1/2 stone...

CBFi wrote: »
    Just booked my first wedding dress shopping appointment for Memories in Dublin. SO nervous. Trying to lose about 4 stone in total before the wedding in December (well I guess before the last fitting in November!) and I'm only 1/2 stone towards that goal!

What have been people's experience with dress shopping when trying to also lose weight?

Congrats on booking your first appointment, it's so exciting!

Well done on losing half a stone, that's a fantastic start. The dresses you're going to try on are not going to be in your size anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.
    I said it here before, but I was pleasantly surprised at how good I looked in the dresses. One dress I tried on last week gave me the tiniest waist and I'm a size 16.
    My advice would be to try on loads of different styles and you will find something that makes you look and feel amazing. Happy shopping :)

IT'S MY HEN THIS WEEKEND :)

It's 70's theme so all week has been focused on getting the outfit sorted, going all Foxy Cleopatra on it. Only 4 of us heading down tonight but the full gang will be there tomorrow, fingers crossed it'll be a laugh now.

Happy Days sounds like good fun!! Hope you have a great time enjoy every minute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

Congrats on the weight loss so far!

I'm down 2 stone since November. It's tough but definitely possible!

I got an app called My Fitness Pal on my phone, you input your current and goal weights and it gives you a calorie allowance for the day. You then input what food you eat throughout the day to keep track. It has helped me loads.

That and exercise, even just walking! I get luas from work to town in the evening and I used to get a bus home but substituted that for an hour walk home instead. I also do a weight lifting regime 3 times a week. It sounds a bit strange that it would cause you to lose weight, but it really does.

Try start a high protein, low fat diet paired with regular exercise and the weight will fall off.

My wedding is in April and ideally I want to shed at least another half stone, fingers crossed I can do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Strength training is highly underrated - even without a weight loss, muscle is much denser than fat so if you've built some muscle then you will look better. Well done on the 2 stone :)

I've lost around 6kg since I got engaged, and am aiming to drop about another 2-3kg by May, dress is much looser than it was and the boning isn't quite enough to lift the girls nicely on its own any more so I need to go and buy a good strapless bra. Being a 30G makes that fun...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

Thanks rainbow Kirby :)

I'm jealous of your assets! I went down a cup size along with the 2 stone but was lucky enough to find some amazing bridal underwear that makes them look fab!

Still miss my poor babies though :(

Can anyone direct me to a good lifting programme, for a beginner? We have dumbells here, but no gym within 20km.

I've lost around 6kg since I got engaged, and am aiming to drop about another 2-3kg by May, dress is much looser than it was and the boning isn't quite enough to lift the girls nicely on its own any more so I need to go and buy a good strapless bra. Being a 30G makes that fun...

how about this one? I am looking out for similar, with a lowish back.
    http://www.barenecessities.com/le-mystere-soiree-low-back-bustier-4556_product.htm?pf_id=LeMystere4556&search=

I'm down 2 stone since November. It's tough but definitely possible! My wedding is in April and ideally I want to shed at least another half stone, fingers crossed I can do it!

Wow, that's brilliant. Well done you. I joined Slimming World last October and still haven't lost a stone yet. But definitely seeing the benefits in my close and overall general health.
    IT'S MY HEN THIS WEEKEND :)

Have a great weekend :)

Could you get the bra built into the dress? I hate strapless bra's with a passion and it was suggested to get it built in.

Thanks everyone. Started to get a little panicked there about how slowly the weight is coming off (1-1.5lbs a week) even though I know it's consistent. I started after xmas. Then I remembered I still have time and to just get serious!

I am also doing Slimming World Kildareash and I find it good. I'm also doing one serious weight training session a week (personal trainer), running 1-2 times a week and then trying to get a class in at the gym.

I'm doing Weight Watchers and it's coming off in a 1-1.5lbs as well, I've done it so many times that as long as it comes down I'm happy. Was up a half this week so hopefully I won't be after doing too much damage after the hen :P

For me it's more that I want to look toned so doing Pilates, should probably start with the weights now too.

fits wrote: »
    Can anyone direct me to a good lifting programme, for a beginner? We have dumbells here, but no gym within 20km.

I've seen Strong Curves, Starting Strength, Stronglifts and the New Rules of Lifting For Women recommended in different places. A lot of barbell movements can be adapted for dumbells within these plans too. It's worth as well trying to watch some form videos to make sure you're doing them properly - ExRx.net is pretty good for information there too.

There's a few very knowledgeable people on the H&F forum here too - Hanley, Transform, COH etc. Could be worth picking their brains too.

Thanks everyone. Started to get a little panicked there about how slowly the weight is coming off (1-1.5lbs a week) even though I know it's consistent. I started after xmas. Then I remembered I still have time and to just get serious!

I am also doing Slimming World Kildareash and I find it good. I'm also doing one serious weight training session a week (personal trainer), running 1-2 times a week and then trying to get a class in at the gym.

I'm trying to get out for a walk at lunch time, and slowly adding some running into that. But only been out twice this week. Just so hard sometimes.

I really love SW...it's so much easier. I'm rubbish at remembering to track so I know I could be better.

Since Xmas I've been having porridge for breakfast and drinking 2 litres of water a day and I do find that really helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Extraplus

Gee_G wrote: »
    I have loads of ideas from different dresses that I'd love on the one dress :) does it work out very expensive to get a dress made?

It hasn't worked out that expensive - cheaper than nearly all of the dresses I'd seen, particularly when you add in the cost of alterations of dresses. Plus it is such a lovely experience, and I feel so much more comfortable with the design than anything I'd seen int he shops.
    Is your dressmaker based in Dublin or nearby? If so, could you PM me as I wouldnt mind getting another quote! I've contacted 4 already and quotes range from 1400-2800 :o so it varies!

Yay on invites!

Sarah Foy is making mine, she is based in Clontarf in Dublin. She has been wonderful so far and is great to work with.

I posted my invites on the way to the airport last week and headed off on a sneaky holiday. It was great to have a week off from wedding stuff and just to chill, and I've come back now to the start of the RSVPs and full of beans to get going again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

Hi folks, getting married in 3 months only went dress shopping for the first time today. Had 1 'wow' moment. Dress is A line with organza full skirt and lace around the torso with beautiful lace (short) sleeves. I dont' want to show my arms though so want to wear a bolero. Any opinions on bolero with sleeves?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Barbaramc

We are getting married in 2015 also! So excited. Got engaged in December '14 and getting married this December.... Can't wait!! Months are passing by so quickly! Have venue, ceremony, band, dress sorted, just working on the rest! Exciting times ladies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Barbaramc wrote: »
    We are getting married in 2015 also! So excited. Got engaged in December '14 and getting married this December.... Can't wait!! Months are passing by so quickly! Have venue, ceremony, band, dress sorted, just working on the rest! Exciting times ladies :)

Congrats Barbara! Such an exciting time. We got engaged last June and are getting married June 19th this year. Can't come quick enough :)
    You sound like you're very organised!

We had our menu tasting on Saturday, made pure pigs of ourselves :) Drinking wine at half 12 is nice though!! The canapes, starters and desserts were lovely but we were a little disappointed with the mains but we've managed to pick 2 we like. It's nice to have that decided upon now. Also whittled down those wines so that's done. Something to tick off the list.

We ordered our rings this weekend, picking them up on Friday :)

Also got myself a pair of flat shoes for the evening, I'll have my heels on for the ceremony and photos but will switch to flats to dance!

Morning Wine how nice, can I ask did you have to pay for the tasting or was it included.. I think ours is because he hasn't said anything about it..

Well done ladies.... ticking off the boxes again.. rings are you going to hide them away until the big day comes..

Our tasting is included for up to four people, we are having an extra two (we want both sets of parents with us) at it though so paying for that.

That's the plan anyway re rings - check them in-store to make sure we have a good fit, then stash them away for the remaining time until the wedding.

Hi ladies, I should have introduced myself sorry - getting married in June :) Only booked it 4 months before the wedding date though (only decided to get married then) I've nearly everything organised now except dress and booze. Anyone doing corkage? My venue are looking for 12.50 per bottle corkage so it's only worth if if I can somehow figure out how to buy wine at around 7 euros per bottle...any ideas?!

• Advertisement

congrats to you! well done on the fast planning...Dress and booze haha im sure one will follow the other..

We have been tasting wines lately and there are two in Aldi a Chardonnay €6.99 and a malbec for maybe €7.. Was planning on calling to them and saying would they do a deal with it, if we are buying in bulk.. Supervalue most of them will do this too if you sweet talk them

If your not fussy with wines also there was one in Tesco €4.99 an it is actually nice so it is..Havent drank a bottle so not sure how it is on the old head in the morning..

€12.50 is mad for the corkage, I hate when they charge so much..

Milly33 wrote: »
    congrats to you! well done on the fast planning...Dress and booze haha im sure one will follow the other..

We have been tasting wines lately and there are two in Aldi a Chardonnay €6.99 and a malbec for maybe €7.. Was planning on calling to them and saying would they do a deal with it, if we are buying in bulk.. Supervalue most of them will do this too if you sweet talk them

If your not fussy with wines also there was one in Tesco €4.99 an it is actually nice so it is..Havent drank a bottle so not sure how it is on the old head in the morning..

€12.50 is mad for the corkage, I hate when they charge so much..

The hotel told me I'm not allowed to bring in wines from Lidl or Aldi as the guests will think they are serving wines from Lidl/Aldi and this will damage their reputation. Super Value sounds good, I'll go down and talk to my local one this weekend, the manager is also my neighbour :-)

We got a deal with o briens loyalty card of 25% off. Paying 6 euro for corkage negotiated down from eight.

Our tasting was included. I actually don't think we'd go with a place that didn't include it as you wouldn't know what would happen. Unless it was a place where you know the food already.

We can't do corkage as the hotel doesn't let it but we've 50 bottles included which we'll have to supplement of course :)

What is wrong with Lidl and Aldi wines?!?! Good Lord!!

If anyone knows someone who works for M&S (my mum does) their staff discount usually stacks with wine promotions so it could work out well there...

• Advertisement

Sarah Foy is making mine, she is based in Clontarf in Dublin. She has been wonderful so far and is great to work with.

Met her and she seems so nice! I'm seriously thinking of adding to my budget and going this route of getting it made. A big bonus is getting it made to suit my body shape and being able to lose weight right up to the wedding without worrying about alterations!

Plus I have fallen in love with a dress online that isn't for sale here.

Dear lord I better get the stash soon. What a disgrace.. And yep there is nothing wrong with Lidl and Aldi wine ( I know it is not you saying this OP) but that is a bit of cheek for the hotel to say that. They have lovely wines better than a lot of places..

Another one too is Murgraves, a friend got one that kinda had a Chinese label on it can find out the name is you like. It wasn't wow but it was fine...

Working in the hospitality industry the reason the venues don't allow Lidl and Aldi wine is their reputation is built on bespoke and unique service including the sourcing of wine. If they are serving wine that is accessible anywhere and not that special this reflects on them.

That said if they really feel that way, just don't allow corkage. Just playing Devils advocate here, I'm not saying I agree with this and being engaged I know every penny counts. I was happy enough to pay our venue for ours as it was included in package and it works out pretty much the same.

Working in the hospitality industry the reason the venues don't allow Lidl and Aldi wine is their reputation is built on bespoke and unique service including the sourcing of wine. If they are serving wine that is accessible anywhere and not that special this reflects on them.

That said if they really feel that way, just don't allow corkage. Just playing Devils advocate here, I'm not saying I agree with this and being engaged I know every penny counts. I was happy enough to pay our venue for ours as it was included in package and it works out pretty much the same.

Yeah I understand why they dont' want Lidl and Aldi wine. To be honest as those wines have become so popular that people might actually know the labels I also wouldn't want guest recognising brands from Lidl or Aldi and thinking 'tight asses!'.

fits wrote: »
    We got a deal with o briens loyalty card of 25% off. Paying 6 euro for corkage negotiated down from eight.

how do you get an O'Brien's loyalty card? I was also advised they do sales on bank holiday weekends

• Advertisement
Advertisement