Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Msg-free Chinese restaurant?

Options
  • 21-03-2014 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭

Is there such a place?!

Allergies abound!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭elephant85

Asian Tea House is MSG free... and very good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

elephant85 wrote: »
    Asian Tea House is MSG free... and very good!

Looks great! thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Nearly sure Chi are msg free too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

King Ding in Rahoon *used* to be, but best to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Some restaurants are happy to comply if you ask them to exclude msg from the dish you order.
    While I have no specific experience with restaurants in the city to relay, my local take-away can do it.
    Some sauces are made ahead there and already contain msg ; they wouldn't be suitable but they do let me know in this case (for me, it's more because I find I can't sleep properly afterwards, not a case of allergy).
    Hope this helps.
    Bon appétit :-)
    V

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Oriental Palace is Knocknacarra is MSG free. It's opposite The Spinnaker Hotel.

Nosh is good but posh it 'aint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

inisboffin wrote: »
    King Ding in Rahoon *used* to be, but best to check.

Since the floods knocked out Royal Villa (sorry!) we've been using King Ding. Food is nearly as good and its much cheaper. Don't know about the msg, but like their food.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

I was in Thai Gardens last weekend and it said on their menu that they were MSG free. It was all really tasty too.

Yes, Thai Garden is superb. You can get delivery through Whats For Dinner

http://www.whatsfordinner.ie/restaurants-in-galway-thai-garden-order-food-online.html

We were so happy when we found this as I used to make a special trip in to town with delayed me getting my drank on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Thanks for all the suggestions, king Ding is an excellent name...

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Just be aware that MSG is present naturally in many foods, soy sauce, fish sauce and parmesan to name a few.

I think you'll find most foods you eat in any restaurant contain MSG naturally.

MSG allergy isn't confirmed to exist by any scientific experiment and there have been a couple that blind-tested supposed allergy sufferers.

The symptoms most people experience a combination of psychosomatic and the effect of eating huge portions of salty food that normally comprise the average chinese takeaway.

Just be aware that MSG is present naturally in many foods, soy sauce, fish sauce and parmesan to name a few.

I think you'll find most foods you eat in any restaurant contain MSG naturally.

MSG allergy isn't confirmed to exist by any scientific experiment and there have been a couple that blind-tested supposed allergy sufferers.

The symptoms most people experience a combination of psychosomatic and the effect of eating huge portions of salty food that normally comprise the average chinese takeaway.

There's a difference though between msg that occurs in the process of making something (like soy) or handfuls of the stuff thrown in like crack cocaine Ted! :)

The 'allergy' word is overused I agree. I'd be more inclined to agree with what a previous poster said about being kept awake from it, and feeling a little warm. I definitely have a physical response to a sh*t load of the stuff.
    It's kind of like the caffeine in a cuppa tea vs in two red bulls.
    I've seen traditional Chinese cooking where people put handfuls of the stuff in.

I'd say most people would be grand with the minimal amounts that are there naturally vs the food cooked with scoops of the stuff!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

inisboffin wrote: »
    There's a difference though between msg that occurs in the process of making something (like soy) or handfuls of the stuff thrown in like crack cocaine Ted! :)

The 'allergy' word is overused I agree. I'd be more inclined to agree with what a previous poster said about being kept awake from it, and feeling a little warm. I definitely have a physical response to a sh*t load of the stuff.
    It's kind of like the caffeine in a cuppa tea vs in two red bulls.
    I've seen traditional Chinese cooking where people put handfuls of the stuff in.

I'd say most people would be grand with the minimal amounts that are there naturally vs the food cooked with scoops of the stuff!

I wouldn't be pouring it on my cornflakes or anything, but it's very hard to extrapolate the feeling that msg gives you from the crappy takeaway food with massive amounts of calories and salt. Plus the placebo affect is a powerful thing. Hence why this effect disappears when people are blinded to what they are eating.

Agreed it's probably a question of quantity, but getting a chinese without MSG is like getting a filtered cigarette instead of a cigar, neither are great for you!

I wouldn't be pouring it on my cornflakes or anything, but it's very hard to extrapolate the feeling that msg gives you from the crappy takeaway food with massive amounts of calories and salt. Plus the placebo affect is a powerful thing. Hence why this effect disappears when people are blinded to what they are eating.

Agreed it's probably a question of quantity, but getting a chinese without MSG is like getting a filtered cigarette instead of a cigar, neither are great for you!

Ah you can make healthy Chinese food for sure. Some people like the cigars though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

This is the stuff that a lot of Chinesers use.

Ingredients? Salt, maizeflour, monosodium glutamate ...

Anyone hear of this whole umami thing? It's meant to be the secret 5th sense along with sweet, sour, bitter and salty. I ordered some MSG off ebay and added it to a few recipes. I think I know what it is that triggers the 5th sense.... fat! That's what MSG appears to add to say a soup broth as far as I can discern. From an evolutionary standpoint, it's no surprise that we are programmed to taste and seek out fat.

newkie wrote: »
    I think I know what it is that triggers the 5th sense.... fat! That's what MSG appears to add to say a soup broth as far as I can discern. From an evolutionary standpoint, it's no surprise that we are programmed to taste and seek out fat.

Probably true, but in them days we tended to play less X box, leg it around a bit more and need more shelter! :D
    I have heard of that 5th sense, but remember we have our own 5th sense here - craic!

Advertisement