Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will we ever get 24hr banking?

Options
  • 21-03-2014 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

Yes I know they say we have it however even with sepa its not truely 24hrs. If we transfer money or are waiting for it to appear in the receiving account its still taking 24 hrs to appear. I know there has to be a processing time but in this day and age there is no reason why money paid or transferred on friday evening cant be in accounts over the weekend.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Transfers between different banks?

If so, no.

Different systems, don't share information etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Transfers between different banks?

If so, no.

Different systems, don't share information etc.

Yes that's what i meant sorry. I know i just think in this day and age of modern technology it's a shame especially when introducing sepa. That would have been the perfect time to think about doing it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

kristian12 wrote: »
    Yes I know they say we have it however even with sepa its not truely 24hrs. If we transfer money or are waiting for it to appear in the receiving account its still taking 24 hrs to appear. I know there has to be a processing time but in this day and age there is no reason why money paid or transferred on friday evening cant be in accounts over the weekend.

Computers are machines like any other... there is a need for maintenance and that has to be slotted in somewhere, the weekend and at night are the only opportunities to do that.

The only way to give you true 24 hour service would be to build massive redundancy into the entire system and would result in fees sky rocketing and customers seem to be unwilling to meet the costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

I agree that real-time intra-bank transfers are not on the medium term horizon.

Perhaps, the next step, eventually, in intra-bank transfers will be 12 hour windows for transfers rather than SEPA 1 business day windows.

Advertisement