Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting USB devices causes lock-ups

Options
  • 21-03-2014 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi folks, I've never come across this issue before and its annoying the hell out of me. Its a machine running a recent install of win 7 ultimate x64. It was fine when I built and used it for about 2 weeks but is now having problems when certain usb devices are connected to it, leading to lock-ups and requiring hard resets.

If I connect an external card reader/memory stick/phone/gps to any usb port in the front or back, USB 2 or 3, they start recharging normally but I get no pop-ups from windows saying a device was connected. When I go to my computer (or computer as its called on win7 :mad:) to check the device it displays incorrectly. For example, one phone should display 2 devices for internal memory and external card. Instead I see only one extra memory drive that doesn't display its size. If I try to access this drive, explorer hangs and stops responding. The computer doesnt hard lock then but when I try to restart it gets stuck when shutting down requiring a hard reset. I have tried to access disk management but it refuses to open when one of the devices are connected via usb, even device manager gets hung up trying to open.

I can connect and use other usb devices like controllers with no issues and sometimes a memory stick will be read after a reboot but tends to throw up the same issues at other times. All of these devices are working fine on my two other computers. I've been searching and others seem to have problem with instant lock-ups or crashes when USBs are connected. The fact that its the "computer" area that crashes when accessed isn't helping at all in a search :pac:

I'm wondering if its a drive letter issue since we have a lot of things that go in and out of the front usb slots like external drives/memory sticks/card readers/3 phones/controllers/gps etc. Not being able to access disk management while they are connected isn't making this easy to sort out. I'm in the middle of trying to uninstall all the USBs from device manager and I keep uninstalling my mouse by accident :D. I'll push on but thought I'd throw it out here in case anyone had any similar issues.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

The only advice I can think to offer you is to dig out/download the motherboard drivers and install them. Mind you, I haven't bothered installing motherboard drivers in years but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mitekey

Cheers for the replies. My mobo, MSI 970A-G43, is already up to date on drivers. Tried the usb fix and its telling me the drivers are already up to date. In the meantime I disabled USB legacy support from the bios it didnt change anything. Just hope I can get back in to re-enable it now since my keyboard didn't show any life until windows fully booted, though I think that may be from constantly having to reset the computer every time I check to see if the USB are working. I'm reading a few pages here and people are pointing at the power supply. I really doubt a PS could do that but you never know. My next step is going to be removing a whole bunch of stuff to make sure

Edit - I just found a piece of software called USBDeview which lets you view every USB device connected to the computer, past and present. The missus has hijacked the problem computer so I can't try it yet, but I'm going for the gusto and uninstalling every damn thing I find. Fingers crossed!

Edit 2 - Yup it worked. Uninstalled every USB device and let windows install whatever is being plugged in. Am now able to view phones/card readers so I'm calling victory!

Advertisement