Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sat Nav For Bikes....

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

What sat nav's (non-phone models) are folks using on their motorbikes today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

hondavfr wrote: »
    Thanks i had presumed that it had to be wired to the ignition.

You can wire it into a circuit with a decent fuse that doesn't have much on it. On my last bike the brake circuit had little on it so just wired into that. Check out forums for your bike to see what is underused on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Cienciano wrote: »

Can you use the unit with gloves on with that cover on?

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Can you use the unit with gloves on with that cover on?
    Not sure. Which is why I got a zumo 550, no fecking about with mcdonalds wifi and plastic bags. :pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah I think I would rather pay the extra to get a designated motorbike unit....Santa is coming early. Very early.......:D

I agree. Spend €15k on a motorbike, but your sat nav is a thing that doesn't work right with a plastic bag on it.
    You might as well do it right

I agree. Spend €15k on a motorbike, but your sat nav is a thing that doesn't work right with a plastic bag on it.
    You might as well do it right

€15k boike....whatyagot???

€15k boike....whatyagot???

Brand new touring bikes aren't cheap

Well maintained older bikes are......;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hondavfr

Del2005 wrote: »
    You can wire it into a circuit with a decent fuse that doesn't have much on it. On my last bike the brake circuit had little on it so just wired into that. Check out forums for your bike to see what is underused on it.

Will do thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Brand new touring bikes aren't cheap

But, they are worth it.

P.C. wrote: »
    But, they are worth it.
    I wouldn't agree. You're not getting value for money with any brand new car or bike. I can safely say I'll never be doing it again unless I win the lotto.

I wouldn't agree. You're not getting value for money with any brand new car or bike. I can safely say I'll never be doing it again unless I win the lotto.

The value for money thing depends on so many things IMHO.

It all depends on what you want.

I would buy a new vehicle again if things were 'right'.

Yeah coz nothing better then driving off the forecourt in/on a new bike/car and losing €1500/2500 instantly......instead of buying a 1yr/2yr old bike with all the extras the original owner bought at a fraction of the cost.

Anyway can we stay on topic plz.

I hope we will see sat navs integrated into the dash of touring bikes soon.

I though that they might do it on the BMW K1600, but they didn't.

Maybe a manufacturer will come up with a sat nav that you will be able to remove from the dash when you leave the bike.

Yeah coz nothing better then driving off the forecourt in/on a new bike/car and losing €1500/2500 instantly......instead of buying a 1yr/2yr old bike with all the extras the original owner bought at a fraction of the cost.

The feeling of riding/driving off on/in a new vehicle = priceless.

Everything else - MasterCard. :)

Thats where the priceless feeling goes....MASTERCARD.

Maybe a manufacturer will come up with a sat nav that you will be able to remove from the dash when you leave the bike.
    I think the idea of intergrated sat navs is both good and bad. Good because you can get a bigger screen and it looks neater, and thumb controls for certain features like zoom would be great. But negative is, updating it is a pain, planning routes is a pain too. When I tour it's always with other people, always take the sat-navs off and plan the routes together in a cafe or the house over a cup of tea. And if it's an optional extra, the blank space might be hard to cover up.
    The feeling of riding/driving off on/in a new vehicle = priceless.

Everything else - MasterCard. :)

Not priceless, costs about 3-4k for that feeling (depending on the bike). While it is nice geting a new bike, I'd rather the feeling of saving the money. Use it to buy your gps, exhaust and tour europe for 2 weeks. And tbh, if your bike has a recommended running in time (mine had 1000km to keep it under a certain revs) its a pain in the arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

New bike feeling is priceless. Irrespective of cost nothing quite beats pulling away from the shop on one.

• Advertisement

I had that feeling in cars not on a bike yet, but that feeling quickly goes. And IMHO you get the same "tingle" on a nearly new car or bike. I bought a 1yr old car still get the shivers when I get into it even now. Same on my 3 yr old bike I have.

You dont have to get a new bike to get a priceless feeling :rolleyes: But I do know the feeling you are on about.

If no one buys new bikes then there are no 2nd hand sales.

Built in Sat Navs don't get regular map updates and for some the update costs as much as a decent stand alone unit.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Built in Sat Navs don't get regular map updates and for some the update costs as much as a decent stand alone unit.

Not only that if the Sat Nav goes belly up the whole bike is in getting fixed. :mad:

Advertisement