Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV integration questions

• 21-03-2014 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

hi guys,

I'm thinking of picking up an Xbox One now, after holding off on the launch and seeing that they're finally getting around to some meaningful updates, in particular the flickering TV issues etc. I've already got a PS4 in my "den" but would like to put an Xbox in the living room.

The only problem is that my wife has zero interest. In fact, she would have minus interest - the less she sees of the console's dashboard the better, so a couple of questions -

1) After hooking up a Sky HD box is it possible for me to leave the Xbox in full screen live TV mode when I'm finished gaming, so that when she turns on the telly, she'll just see live TV and won't have to see the dashboard, touch a controller or utter any commands? How would this work in relation to user accounts etc? She would probably have an account on the console because she would use it for Skype and Netflix. If I left it in TV mode, would Kinect recognise her when she walks into the room, log her in, and throw her back to the dashboard instead of the TV mode?

2) Has anyone tried using a HDMI splitter to input more than one device, for example a Sky box and an Apple TV? How does that work out?

3) Are voice commands integrated within the Netflix app? For example, could you play a particular episode of a TV series without having to use an Xbox controller?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

1. Won't boot to TV fullscreen , which is a massive over sight if you ask me.
    you would have to launch the TV app manually everytime :(

2. HDMI splitter works as you would expect press the button and it chages sources, tried mine with saorview box and tablet connected.

3. Voice commands are there for nexflix but only if you set the xbox region to UK, they wont work at all on the one if set to Ireland yet. There is a new media remote that might be good for video playback.

Personal opinion , the one is not " the centre of" anyones media experience :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

thanks Calex71.

Shame, seems like there's just one or two elements missing.

If it can't boot to TV fullscreen - what about leaving it powered on instead of shutting it down? Or does turning off the telly also power down the xbox?

Also, i heard that for the live TV to work you need to set resolution to 720. Not sure what this is in relation to - is it the resolution setting on your actual TV, in which case everything will be set at that? Or is it the resolution setting on the Xbox so anything through the Xbox including games etc will be at that? Or is it a resolution setting within the live TV app which only affects the TV streaming and not games, blurays etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭bazzz

Branoic wrote: »
    thanks Calex71.

Also, i heard that for the live TV to work you need to set resolution to 720. Not sure what this is in relation to - is it the resolution setting on your actual TV, in which case everything will be set at that? Or is it the resolution setting on the Xbox so anything through the Xbox including games etc will be at that? Or is it a resolution setting within the live TV app which only affects the TV streaming and not games, blurays etc?

I might be wrong here,but I think you might be referring to the voice sync issue through live TV....If so you don't need to change the res to 720p,If your tv can do 1080p that is fine and is usually set to that automatically by your Xbox.I've just got an Xbox One this week and I set it up with my FreeSat connected to it.

When I first started using the live Tv,I noticed the sound was out of sync with the picture.So I checked my settings on the Xbox and noticed it was set to 60hz natively,so I changed that 50hz and bingo all has been well since.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I've my region set to US, the experience has been pretty good and has a high Wife Approval Factor.

Walk in to lounge and say Xbox On, the system powers up my TV, Surround Sound and the Sky Box, no more switching inputs on the remotes if I leave the Xbox on. She knows to say Xbox Watch TV and then use the Sky Remote from then on. We can even say Xbox Pause and it will pause the playback on Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

liamog wrote: »
    I've my region set to US, the experience has been pretty good and has a high Wife Approval Factor.

Walk in to lounge and say Xbox On, the system powers up my TV, Surround Sound and the Sky Box, no more switching inputs on the remotes if I leave the Xbox on. She knows to say Xbox Watch TV and then use the Sky Remote from then on. We can even say Xbox Pause and it will pause the playback on Sky.

Nice one, I didn't realise satellite/cable boxes were configurable when the region is set to US (makes sense though).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

As liamog says I think the xbone is great for having in the front room the missus thinks it great too. My kinect packed in for a few days (wont go into it here)but when it was gone I missed it badly having to find remote controls to switch on the TV the Amp then switching to TV on the amp or to Blu Ray, now I just say "xbox watch TV" "Xbox go to BluRay" going to bed at night or leaving the house is great saying "Xbox turn off" and it switches everything off.

Watching Blurays and netflix is also brilliant, "Xbox play" "xbox pause" no searching for the remote late at night when you want to go for a pi**

As you can see I am a big fan of the kinect and the Xbox one, I never did see any issues with this 50/60hz thing also. Another thing I like is that if you are playing titanfall and then the missus comes in and starts giving out I don't want to be watching that now, just say "Xbox watch tv" but it still will have titanfall on in the background so when she does leave then go back to it straight away and have a quick game.

EM

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Shred wrote: »
    Nice one, I didn't realise satellite/cable boxes were configurable when the region is set to US (makes sense though).

I had to set the satellite manufacturer to Amstrad or Amiga (can't remember which one Sky bought).

I'm on the preview update now and Sky Ireland is listed as a manufacturer, I may have a look tonight to see if UPC is in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

Yeah I think I set mine to Samsung and Sky+ HD was then selectable as a model, it's working as you said. It'd be really nice to have the One Guide working here but being able power on/off my tv/amp/satelite/xbox all at once and with volume control is pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

I have just set this up on my UPC Horizon set top box cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭recyclops

so far i have it set up so that i can watch tv through it using the horizon remote to flick through the channels.

would anything change if the region was set to us or is it only so far we are limited to this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

wush06 wrote: »
    I have just set this up on my UPC Horizon set top box cool.

Anything special with the setup? Is that in the new preview dashboard, or the current one?
    -Toppy-

Like op said its handy for pause rewind and stuff like that. The one guide is still not functional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

Hi Wush what setting did you put in for UPC once you switched over to US region?
    I have tried Samsung and UPC and I dont seem to be getting any commands sent to my Horizon box (I can see the play/pause options but selecting them doesnt do anything)

Thanks
    Toppy

This is copied off another forum and I will not be held responsible if you duck up.
    I just changed the the sky bit for upc in the settings.

Here's how i got it working!

I have a SKY HD Amstrad DRX890.

First go to settings, System, Then Language & Location and change it to English/United States. Your Xbox one will need to restart.
    Once you've done that go back to settings, go to TV & OneGuide, then go to Devices. After that, Go to Cable & Satellite.
    Then in the Search bar type in : SKY Italia . Once the Xbox one finds Sky Italia, Go to Automatic.
    After that, You should see the Xbox One giving you the option to send a command to power off the satellite box. Click Send Command, nothing will happen which is what happened to me! Click no and send a command again.
    After doing this for the third time, my Sky Box turned off!!!
    After and only after your Sky Box turns off! Click Yes! This will save your settings and power your Sky Box back on!
    Now you have an Xbox One communicating with your Sky HD Box!!! You can also use your Xbox One controller to control your Sky HD Box too

WARNING!

There are few things you should know before trying this.

Setting your Xbox One to US will affect your online gaming, Apps, Store purchases to US and is probably not recommended by Microsoft so beware
    Not all commands work! Only Pause, Play, Stop, Rewind, Fast Forward and afew others.
    OneGudie will not work. Because you will need to set your Xbox One to US! It will ask for a zip code. I tried my postcode in the UK but this did not work.
    If anyone from Microsoft is reading this, it would be great to get atleast a rough ETA on when the Xbox One will get this feature in the UK. This is proof that IR Codes like the SKY Italia are most likely the same as SKY UK Boxes here in the UK. It would just be a matter of linking the names together.

Good Luck peeps

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

wush06 wrote: »
    This is copied off another forum and I will not be held responsible if you duck up.
    I just changed the the sky bit for upc in the settings.

Here's how i got it working!

I have a SKY HD Amstrad DRX890.

First go to settings, System, Then Language & Location and change it to English/United States. Your Xbox one will need to restart.
    Once you've done that go back to settings, go to TV & OneGuide, then go to Devices. After that, Go to Cable & Satellite.
    Then in the Search bar type in : SKY Italia . Once the Xbox one finds Sky Italia, Go to Automatic.
    After that, You should see the Xbox One giving you the option to send a command to power off the satellite box. Click Send Command, nothing will happen which is what happened to me! Click no and send a command again.
    After doing this for the third time, my Sky Box turned off!!!
    After and only after your Sky Box turns off! Click Yes! This will save your settings and power your Sky Box back on!
    Now you have an Xbox One communicating with your Sky HD Box!!! You can also use your Xbox One controller to control your Sky HD Box too

WARNING!

There are few things you should know before trying this.

Setting your Xbox One to US will affect your online gaming, Apps, Store purchases to US and is probably not recommended by Microsoft so beware
    Not all commands work! Only Pause, Play, Stop, Rewind, Fast Forward and afew others.
    OneGudie will not work. Because you will need to set your Xbox One to US! It will ask for a zip code. I tried my postcode in the UK but this did not work.
    If anyone from Microsoft is reading this, it would be great to get atleast a rough ETA on when the Xbox One will get this feature in the UK. This is proof that IR Codes like the SKY Italia are most likely the same as SKY UK Boxes here in the UK. It would just be a matter of linking the names together.

Good Luck peeps

Hope this helps

Oneguide for the UK and several other countries is included in the April dashboard update, due out soon!
    You prompted to enter a UK postcode upon setup. I've been using the beta for the passed few days and it needs a few tweaks at the moment.

Advertisement